First Fort Trip, Had a Great time, Thanks all. New pics posted 3/23

So here is my knife board before and after. Now to mount it in the trailer. Will have to warm up the trailer so that the silicone can cure, as it was -3 degrees here this morning. Went to check on my pass thru yesterday and verify what was in it, frozen shut. Winter is so much fun. :sad2:

PAhunter we are working on knife holder too!

Jbrostek love my slow cooker. Been making killer soups this winter and will probably be making soup in March when we are at the Fort.

PAhunter we are working on knife holder too!

Jbrostek love my slow cooker. Been making killer soups this winter and will probably be making soup in March when we are at the Fort.

There was just not a good spot to secure the magnetic strip to due to the layout of the camper, and the one place that was available, I had to make sure to not hit the fridge. So I decided on a separate board for the mount then securing it by the fridge, using silicone. This way I can keep my knifes organized and at hand. Now if the snow would just stop.

Today we have snow squalls coming thru and the wind has picked up. Tomorrow is the annual Ice Harvest, great event and great learning experience. The ice harvested tomorrow will last until easily until August and possibly September. This area used to supply all the ice to the NY and Philly areas back in the day of Ice Boxes.

Trailer is getting more snow on it, not melting as I had hoped. And more on the way Sunday they are saying.

Today, I got nothing done for the trip, but did receive good news. Our tow vehicle is done and ready for pick up at the shop. Plan on getting it tomorrow before the snow hits. Today was the ice harvest. We harvest ice the way it was done in the day of ice boxes. It was transported by rail from PA to NY and all the way to Florida. It was 12 degrees here with a wind chill of 30 below. Each block of ice is 15 inches thick this year, and are roughly two feet square and weigh about 300lbs each.

Today, I got nothing done for the trip, but did receive good news. Our tow vehicle is done and ready for pick up at the shop. Plan on getting it tomorrow before the snow hits. Today was the ice harvest. We harvest ice the way it was done in the day of ice boxes. It was transported by rail from PA to NY and all the way to Florida. It was 12 degrees here with a wind chill of 30 below. Each block of ice is 15 inches thick this year, and are roughly two feet square and weigh about 300lbs each.

Wow, thanks for the pictures! This is just so amazing for this southern gal to see! Guess this is a crazy question, but what are you harvesting the ice for now?? Telling my age, but we actually had an ice box (fridge) when I was a wee tot in the country, and ice was delivered once a week!! This is just so interesting to me! ::yes::

But, I'm really thankful I don't live up there! Burrrrrr! :goodvibes

Sorry so much cold and snow to deal with. Hope everything goes well with getting on the road and closer to warmer weather.

Today we have snow squalls coming thru and the wind has picked up. Tomorrow is the annual Ice Harvest, great event and great learning experience. The ice harvested tomorrow will last until easily until August and possibly September. This area used to supply all the ice to the NY and Philly areas back in the day of Ice Boxes.

Trailer is getting more snow on it, not melting as I had hoped. And more on the way Sunday they are saying.

I really like your trailer, but what is white stuff all over it?

Wow, thanks for the pictures! This is just so amazing for this southern gal to see! Guess this is a crazy question, but what are you harvesting the ice for now?? Telling my age, but we actually had an ice box (fridge) when I was a wee tot in the country, and ice was delivered once a week!! This is just so interesting to me! ::yes::

But, I'm really thankful I don't live up there! Burrrrrr! :goodvibes

We harvest the ice just to keep history alive. It is stored in the ice house, the harvesters then use it during the warmer months for coolers, when going to Nascar races, fishing, etc.

I really like your trailer, but what is white stuff all over it?

The white stuff of course is SNOW !!!, it's frustrating me and there is more coming down now, up to 14 inches falling over the next 18 hours.

Pretty cool to see the old fashioned ice harvest and that it does get put to use after the harvest. Keep warm with the snow, we ended up on the south side of the storm and just getting rain in the DC metro area.

IMG_3371 (2).jpg

IMG_3382 - Copy (533x800).jpg
Just got in from snowblowing the driveway, clearing the mailbox and making paths in the back yard. Got a foot of snow on top of the 8 inches that was already on the ground. And more on the way for Weds. Yuck. Is it March 1st yet ??

Dogs out playing in the snowblown paths in our back yard. Unfortunately they will not be joining us on this trip.

Last edited:
So today was very cold and windy got a couple thing packed into tupperware for movement to the trailer. Wife made a DIS sign for the window of the trailer. Next week, even with all the snow it will be time to start loading up. Trailer still gaining snow, not losing it.

IMG_3392 (800x533).jpg

IMG_3385 (800x533).jpg

Sorry about the snow. It seems like you are getting all of our snow in addition to yours this year. We are approaching an all time low snow fall winter. They are saying we might get an inch or 2 tomorrow afternoon, but it is looking like most will go north of us again.

Good news is, PA seems to manage it a little better than down here. 12-18 in here will shut things down for a few days. Seems like within 24 hours you are good to go. That should make travel plans slightly less crazy.

j

Sorry about the snow. It seems like you are getting all of our snow in addition to yours this year. We are approaching an all time low snow fall winter. They are saying we might get an inch or 2 tomorrow afternoon, but it is looking like most will go north of us again.

Good news is, PA seems to manage it a little better than down here. 12-18 in here will shut things down for a few days. Seems like within 24 hours you are good to go. That should make travel plans slightly less crazy.

j

We are currently about 8 inches over average which is not bad, but another 4 inches tonight are forecast and now talking about more snow on Sunday. The last two storms had a lot of blowing and drifting, which meant clearing snow more than once. They do a good job at getting the roads up and passable within 24 hours. Just makes loading the trailer that much tougher, trying to keep from tracking snow in. But we will manage and in just over three weeks we will be in the warmth of Florida, meeting with Mickey and his friends. :dogdance:

Your cooking at the Fort..we took frozen homemade soup from home, a piece of Prime rib. Have a PTG and put the prime rib on in the afternoon on a off day and ate prime rib for supper. Yep, we like to rough it when we go, LOL. We also had vegies we had canned in the summer and meat we get from a local cattle feeder. Sounds like you're getting ready for the trip, our camper also has about 12 inches of snow on it now from last couple of days. :)

We will be cooking, gonna have our nephew who is 9 and will take a break and have dinner at the trailer most days. There is a lot to do but we are not going anywhere but the parks on this trip. So we plan to not rush rush rush for the entire week. Glad mine isn't the only one covered in snow. Getting ready, have made plans on where to put the trailer should it snow while we are gone or the snow isn't melted yet and need to park it elsewhere until we can get it in it's regular place upon returning.
As for packing, making my list and checking it twice, maybe three or four times.....and sure i will forget something.

Chris, I'm late to say it but the ice harvesting pictures are really neat. It is living history.

Good looking DIS sign too. :rockband:

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter