First Fort Trip, Had a Great time, Thanks all. New pics posted 3/23

Thank you Bama Ed, the wife was responsible for the sign. The engine on the circular cutter is from 1919, nearly a hundred years old.

Today I got the notice that our Magicbands have shipped. Getting closer now and getting excited. Luckily only got about an inch of snow last night. Predicting another big snow for Sunday. :cold: I was checking boxes and the items in the trailer, making sure I have everything. Seem to have misplaced my 30A to 15A plug converter, have to get another one so I can plug in the trailer as I work to load it. Next week is my big packing week as my wife will be away for work. :hourglass

We are planning on being at the Fort from March 7-18. Sounds like we have been getting all your storms travelling up the Eastern Seaboard here to Atlantic Canada. We started two weeks ago with bare ground and now we are running out of places to pile the snow. Makes leaving for Florida sound all the better.

Today I got the notice that our Magicbands have shipped. Getting closer now and getting excited. Luckily only got about an inch of snow last night. Predicting another big snow for Sunday. :cold: I was checking boxes and the items in the trailer, making sure I have everything. Seem to have misplaced my 30A to 15A plug converter, have to get another one so I can plug in the trailer as I work to load it. Next week is my big packing week as my wife will be away for work. :hourglass

Magic bands !!!! Not many days now!

Boomer1, I know the feeling with the snow. We had none then it has been one storm after another, most just nuisance snow of 2-3 inches. Today was working in the trailer, have the heat going warming it to 50 degrees so I can work. My plan for today was to install the knife board and it is done. Now to let the adhesive cure. More packing to do in the upcoming days.IMG_3417 (800x533).jpg

IMG_3419 (800x533).jpg

This allows me to safely store my weapons of mass preparation.

Last edited:
Well the wife wants to schedule another trip. This time just us. Our "honeymoon" trip. We haven't even made it to the fort yet and she already wants to come back. Awesome. Now to figure out when. :yay:

Tried looking at some dates but the system was having problems and wouldn't let me add anything to my cart to check if it was in our budget for the year. :badpc:

Last edited:
Spent yesterday in the trailer, working on the knife board and packed some of the non-freezable, non-perishables. Also looked at my dish cabinets, and while they are big and roomy, they are a mess and need to be organized. Looks like some more time in the woodshop this week. Need to make a plate rack, and maybe add a shelf or two. Gonna have to snowblow a path to the shop. Get some measurements today and get working, will post pictures as it progresses. Snow on the way tonight and tomorrow, see what falls.

Well today the weather was supposed to be terrible. We have had some icing and a dusting of snow so far. Nowhere near the big storm they were predicting. Got a nice package in the mail.

IMG_3440 (800x533).jpg

Getting my spices ready for the kitchen, packing the essentials. Need to start packing my socks.

Well yesterday resulted in me getting nothing done for this trip as far as prep. I went to visit my parents and spent an nice day relaxing with them. Need to work on a spice rack holder and a squeeze bottle holder for the trailer. Have a design maybe in a few I will head out to the shop. Later I have a dentist appointment and have to change the wiper blades on the truck. Still cold with snow and ice on the ground, but getting more snow tomorrow and Sunday is the prediction. Wife asked yesterday how I planned to get the trailer out with all this snow, I told her that is why they make 4wheel low. Actually the trailer is in a clear spot, she was just giving me a hard time.

Yep, 4 wheel low, it's a beautiful thing... I don't know how yall deal with all that snow, if they even talk about snow on the news at home they shut the schools down.

Wife asked yesterday how I planned to get the trailer out with all this snow, I told her that is why they make 4wheel low.
:)
My DW's response would be, "Oh good. How much is that going to cost us?" :rolleyes2

j

I'm coming in late on this Chris, but your pics are all neat and scary at the same time. Great looking lamp and weapon storage site. The ice harvest pics look really cool (literally).

Here in Mississippi, it is illegal to say the word "snow" in a public place, especially supermarkets. I had a neighbor who was arrested for buying a snowblower once. They ended up only giving him probation when they found out it was a gift for his daughter who lived in Maine, but he was told next time they would throw the book at him.

Yep, times a getting short. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a break between snows and not have so much trouble getting out.

I haven't forgotten about your upcoming trip. Hoping that the weather holds of for the next few weeks so you can finish getting ready. We have more snow coming in Friday - Sunday, hope it misses you. Will be following along. Snowmedic

Snowmedic, Well you folks have gotten more than we have by a long shot. Thankfully a couple close calls for us and net result of no snow. Calling for more in the morning, then again over the weekend, then mid week possible. All I can do is keep snowblowing the driveway and slowly pack the camper. If I have to we can run a space heater in there to keep it just above freezing as we get closer to keep the canned goods, and liquids from freezing.

Hey Chris, or anybody else living in the frozen tundra of the Northeast, I have a serious question. Do you guys ever have any trouble with your trailer brakes trying to freeze in all that snow, ice, and cold temps? Just curious if it is an issue.

That's a good question Tiggerdad, my question for the folks up in the "frozen tundra of the Northeast" it may be dumb but does the snow have any effect on the slides if they are out? Say if someone was working a shut down job or something from out of town and was staying in a camper?

I have towed through snow storms with a previous trailer and never had a problem with the brakes. You could have a problem with the slides being out simply due to the weight of the snow. If the snow was very deep or very moisture laden. Probably have an even bigger issue with awnings as they would get wet and freeze and be hard to roll I imagine. Would just require making sure to keep the snow off and trying to keep your awning dry. The campground I work for is open year round here and we did have some hearty souls camping, so it can be done. Me, I am looking forward to warmer temps and the sun !!!

Reading along...looking forward to hearing about your stay at the Fort. We will be down the path at WL for a couple of nights just before you...and going to the Fort for the Hoop De Doo revue :))

Last January we left IL in the RV with -30 below windchills. It was winterized and we didn't start running water through the lines until we hit southern KY. Also hubby added heat tape around a couple lines due to the extreme cold. On the way back we had to stop and drain all the water tanks and add antifreeze to the drains a little bit. Just enough to keeps the elbow parts from freezing up. Hubby finished the winterizing when we got back home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter