First time to Orlando…

Quick update, the honeymoon is over. lol

So switching from Boardwalk to Boulder Ridge. I left MK at about 3:30 taking the scenic route (monorail to BLT then boat to WL) and checking out contemporary/BLT on the way so I figured room would be ready by the time I got there or soon after… I got here about 4:30 or so, no notification on my phone that room was ready, but around 5:15pm I got a text that says “still preparing the room”. So I got a mickey bar & took a walking tour around, but after an hour I’m then basically sleeping in the lobby, so at around 6:45 I went up to front desk to see if there was a problem, and he said “hmm, that’s weird I wonder why it’s not showing ready yet” gets on the phone, makes a call, then gives me the very last room at the end of the hall on the parking lot side, it’s dark out right now, but I’m assuming those are the trash dumpsters out there.? lol

So it’s not the end of the world by any means and maybe it’s just luck of the draw, but it makes me wonder, did I piss someone off?
Since I am the last person to check-in the only available room is the worst one in the building? (thanks for the misleading text. lol)

Is there anything that I could have done different, besides been a squeakier wheel? (If I hadn’t got the text telling me they were still working on it, I’m sure I would have said something a lot sooner)
Anyway, not the best start, and of course I feel similar that now I like Boardwalk better. (change is always tough. lol)

Also, realizing 12 day trip isn’t needed to do everything. Thinking 9 is the magic number (2 travel days and 7 park days)

The room is great (inside), but I'm also somewhat fine with my BRV being up for sale already… maybe just a bit of sour grapes.
Tomorrow is a new day & I have 5 more here to turn it around, I’m thinking Geyser Point will help with that. :)

*edit*
I had typed this last night, but didn’t post it so I’ve edited it after sleeping on it.

Which floor? We were in that room on the 1st floor. They said we could switch the 2nd day but we didn't want to fuss with it at that point. We didn't get our room assignment until after 4pm. And when we checked in around 5:30 or 6...they said everyone else had checked in so there were no other rooms for us that night. Maybe they give the crap rooms to the last to arrive?!

Did you do online check in and if so, how far in advance? I did it a week or two early, I think. Maybe that was a bad idea?

I set up online check in and indicate an earlier arrival time (I think now it's just a window of time). If I get the room ready text and I am not yet at the resort, I look up the room number on Touring Plans to see where it is located (if I don't already know). If I don't like the location, I call the number and ask to be changed to a different room. It's usually early enough so they still have inventory to use to switch things around. I try to get to the resort no later than 1pm, if I have not received the room ready text, I stop at the FD to ask about the location. They won't tell you the room number, but I tell them a general area of where I want to be and the view. If the room preassigned isn't what I want, I do ask if there are any other options and that I am willing to wait until later in the day for a room assignment. So far, it has worked out. We usually stay from 10-12 nights, so I am okay with waiting for the right room. And possibly doing a room change the next day if necessary.

We will likely never arrive before 1pm just because of flights. But maybe next time I'll lie and say we'll be checking in earlier to see if that makes a difference.

We will likely never arrive before 1pm just because of flights. But maybe next time I'll lie and say we'll be checking in earlier to see if that makes a difference.
It might! We usually fly in late the night before and stay with family, so we are able to do some grocery shopping the next morning and get to the resort early, if need be.

Yikes on the timing of getting in to your room. I once got a $100 credit to our account for them getting us in at 4.30pm and I didn’t even complain just made a light comment about how that’s later than usual and the CM at RIV apologized for the delay and said they were going to compensate us. It was really nice and I wasn’t expecting it. See if you can get something for how late they checked you in. Hopefully today will be a better one!
Maybe ask if you can do a room change? They could move you, but you might be out of a room until the afternoon again. Maybe if you explain that you didn't get a room until almost 7pm they can get you into a different room faster this time!
Which floor? We were in that room on the 1st floor. They said we could switch the 2nd day but we didn't want to fuss with it at that point. We didn't get our room assignment until after 4pm. And when we checked in around 5:30 or 6...they said everyone else had checked in so there were no other rooms for us that night. Maybe they give the crap rooms to the last to arrive?!

Did you do online check in and if so, how far in advance? I did it a week or two early, I think. Maybe that was a bad idea?
Yea, Its my own fault for relying on the text. Next time I’ll be sure to just go ask front desk when I get there.
Laundry couldn’t be further away, but not going to lose sleep over it, and the Bison burger was amazing!!
Off to do a 3 park day!! (HS> Epcot> MK)

Last edited:

Ok, so i just bought into BRV but ive never been to Orlando (WDW), i know some think thats crazy, but i think there is a slim chance ill hate it. lol
I understand WDW is your main attraction, but are you open to other things in Orlando?

Your DL friends will be disappointed if you forget to check out the Fort W Cabins .
Try to plan a visit to the Horse Barn to see the. Calliope showcased in the Barn and listen to the music .
Those horses just about have concierge care but they deserve it !
Its also a great place to see ChipnDale Campfire nightly and the Electricla Water Pageant over by the docks.

Your DL friends will be disappointed if you forget to check out the Fort W Cabins .
Try to plan a visit to the Horse Barn to see the. Calliope showcased in the Barn and listen to the music .
Those horses just about have concierge care but they deserve it !
Its also a great place to see ChipnDale Campfire nightly and the Electricla Water Pageant over by the docks.
The ranch is on my list for tomorrow, one of the last things I felt needed to be done on this trip. :)

Ok, I have a lot to post & I wanted to add some pics, but having trouble getting pics off my phone in a timely manner.

I just wanted to say that my BRV contract is for sale, & now I can't decide if SAP+ is the way I want to go, or just buy Boardwalk. lol
Yes after a couple nights at AKV, then checking into BWV I wasn't feeling it, but once I got comfortable & later checked into BRV, I realized how much I loved the Boardwalk. My real train of thought is, can I realistically get a room there at 7 months, or do I need to own in order to book reliably. (understanding that Oct-Dec is tough, but could be doable in late Jan, early Feb)

I did tour CCV, Poly, & BLT (and all are fine), but none made me want to stay there more than BWV. I know it isn't as relaxing, but I think its the location & maybe even more the transportation that got me. (compared to AKV & BRV) and I think if I can get Poly at 7 months, I may not really need to own at Poly or BWV. (so SAP+ could be the smarter way to go)

My master plan (for now) is next time I'll do an 9 day/8 night trip (most likely 4 night splits between 2 resorts), not sure how not to stay at AKV though. it would be tough to pass up. ;)
8 nights, w/ 7 day hopper seems like the money spot, you can travel on Sat & return on a Sun, & 6 days is really enough to see/do everything, plus an extra if needed. (maybe this was just my experience, for time of year, etc.)
I'm thinking every other year or every 3 years, still doing Disneyland yearly (Sept-Dec at VGC).

The one thing I can't believe I missed out on was Jambo.!! (I stayed at Kidani)
I even went back to AK on my last full day to do a few things at the park & was planning on doing lunch somewhere at Jambo, but somehow once i left the park i just jumped right back on the bus for BRV (or wherever i went, it could have been directly to Epcot), but somehow just forgot about lunch & Jambo. :(

Also Rockin Rollercoaster is down, so that's the only other thing i didn't get to do.

One thing i completely get now, is taking a break during the day (which i never do at DLR, but may try now at VGC), but i love "split-days" hopping from one park to another almost every day with a little break at the hotel between.!! (including a change of shoes, or jacket, etc.)

Would you be trying to get a studio at BWV at the 7 month mark? I've heard those are tough, I think.

I just bought a 50pt BRV contract (waiting on ROFR) and when I put in an offer, I wondered if it might be yours (I *think* yours was a 50 pt one) but obviously it wasn't yours. Ha!

We did 5 park days on our recent trip but when we were younger and didn't have a child...we liked to do 8 nights. We'd usually get an 8-day hopper so we could hit up a park on our first night. It was a nice amount of days. Now...I think 5 or maybe 6 would be the max for me though.

Which park was your favorite? How about a favorite ride? Were there aspects of Disneyland you found yourself missing?

Would you be trying to get a studio at BWV at the 7 month mark? I've heard those are tough, I think.
Yea, it does look tough most of the time, but for now late Jan/Early Feb is pretty decent... but that could change.

I just bought a 50pt BRV contract (waiting on ROFR) and when I put in an offer, I wondered if it might be yours (I *think* yours was a 50 pt one) but obviously it wasn't yours. Ha!
Nope, i don't think so, at least i haven't heard of any offers yet. lol

We did 5 park days on our recent trip but when we were younger and didn't have a child...we liked to do 8 nights. We'd usually get an 8-day hopper so we could hit up a park on our first night. It was a nice amount of days. Now...I think 5 or maybe 6 would be the max for me though.
Yep, i think 8 days is ideal, but not going to the parks all day for 8 days straight (not at this age). ;)

Which park was your favorite? How about a favorite ride? Were there aspects of Disneyland you found yourself missing?
Tomorrowland was Amazing!! (I think we already talked about how the DLR version is junk. lol) I rode the PeopleMover like 6 times. lol
Tron was great, Guardians was great, Epcot is GREAT!! (AK was very cool too)

Hollywood Studios isn't as bad as i first thought, it has its charms & pieces, but one thing I realized is NOWHERE in the 4 WDW parks is there a coaster that goes upside down?? So Incredicoaster is a gem. lol

Other than the obvious stuff like Epcot/AK I think Adventureland and Fantasyland are better at DLR, & Tomorrowland is much better at WDW. (also New Orleans Square is better than Liberty Square, but not a huge deal)

Not to get off track, but I think DisneylandForward (ToyStory, 3rd gate) could do a hybrid of Epcot/Jungle theme (Encanto, Coco, etc)
The Epcot side would be mostly from the front of Epcot, the educational stuff, & mellow rides, no living creatures (I don't think an Aquarium is needed with Long Beach not far away), but all the rest.. Maybe even introduce Figment?
On the Jungle/Latin theme side Encanto, Coco, maybe Pandora?

Funny, not sure if i mentioned it anywhere else already, but I didn't know what a Figment was, or the Orange Bird, but i thought Orange Bird would be more apparent around the park, but i think it might be just a drink stand?

Either way, yes I loved WDW & yes i will be back. :)

Last edited:
Yea, it does look tough most of the time, but for now late Jan/Early Feb is pretty decent... but that could change.

Nope, i don't think so, at least i haven't heard of any offers yet. lol

Yep, i think 8 days is ideal, but not going to the parks all day for 8 days straight (not at this age). ;)

Tomorrowland was Amazing!! (I think we already talked about how the DLR version is junk. lol)
Tron was great, Guardians was great, Epcot is GREAT!! (AK was very cool too)

Hollywood Studios isn't as bad as i first thought, it has its charms & pieces, but one thing I realized is NOWHERE in the 4 WDW parks is there a coaster that goes upside down?? So Incredicoaster is a gem. lol

Other than the obvious stuff like Epcot/AK I think Adventureland and Fantasyland are better at DLR, & Tomorrowland is much better at WDW. (also New Orleans Square is better than Liberty Square, but not a huge deal)

Not to get off track, but I think DisneylandForward (ToyStory, 3rd gate) could do a hybrid of Epcot/Jungle theme (Encanto, Coco, etc)
The Epcot side would be mostly from the front of Epcot, the educational stuff, & mellow rides, no living creatures (I don't think an Aquarium is needed with Long Beach not far away), but all the rest.. Maybe even introduce Figment?
On the Jungle/Latin theme side Encanto, Coco, maybe Pandora?

Funny, not sure if i mentioned it anywhere else already, but I didn't know what a Figment was, or the Orange Bird, but i thought Orange Bird would be more apparent around the park, but i think it might be just a drink stand?

Either way, yes I loved WDW & yes i will be back. :)

"Not at this age"....wait...are you not a 'youngin'?? I don't know why but I was getting young vibes. Ha! And no, we already signed the first round of papers with our sellers....so I, being nosy...found them on Facebook. 🤣

I think Encanto in the Disneyland Forward stuff would be cool. I'm anti-Pandora though.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Did you make it on Slinky Dog? That's the one thing I wanted to do but wasn't able to. Maybe next time!

I went to WDW as a kid and I still didn't know who Figment was until recently. I don't know much about Orange Bird but I've always thought he was so cute. I even got the Orange Bird Magic Band.

"Not at this age"....wait...are you not a 'youngin'?? I don't know why but I was getting young vibes. Ha! And no, we already signed the first round of papers with our sellers....so I, being nosy...found them on Facebook. 🤣

I think Encanto in the Disneyland Forward stuff would be cool. I'm anti-Pandora though.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Did you make it on Slinky Dog? That's the one thing I wanted to do but wasn't able to. Maybe next time!

I went to WDW as a kid and I still didn't know who Figment was until recently. I don't know much about Orange Bird but I've always thought he was so cute. I even got the Orange Bird Magic Band.
Yea, i wasn't a big fan of Pandora either, the one ride (not boat ride) was really cool though & well worth doing and waiting for.

Yes, i did get to ride Slinky, & it was fun, but not sure it should be the hardest thing to get on. I basically wasted Genie+ just to be able to ride it. (I only got to ride 3 rides, so the $27 for Genie+ definitely wasn't worth it)

Not a youngin, but only low 50's. ;)

That's still pretty young. Well, I think so anyway as I creep toward 50. Ha!

I woke up to try to get Slinky Dog and didn't get it. But I had already purchased Genie+ for the day before that (mistake) so it really felt like a waste.

Loved reading about your first experience at WDW! I’m a bit embarrassed to say I’ve not been to DLR yet (even though I’ve been to Disneyland Paris twice and going back this summer haha) but I feel like most love the OG park so much more than WDW so I’m glad this trip lived up to what you were hoping it would be!

I realized is NOWHERE in the 4 WDW parks is there a coaster that goes upside down?? So Incredicoaster is a gem. lol
Also, the one ride I think you said you missed goes upside down, of course😉 You’ll have to catch RRC next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter