First trip to WDW with a digital camera

iNTeNSeBLue98

DIS Veteran
We have an HP C340 digital camera that will be used during our week at WDW, US and SW. DH included a 512mb memory card with the gift to me, so I think we have plenty of storage, considering I took about 150 pics with my APS camera a few years ago.

We are expecting to purchase a dock for the camera so we won't have to invest in batteries constantly. I think I will take some AA's with just in case the rechargable pack fails during the day and will allow the camera to charge overnight.

Other than the dock and the memory card, is there anything else we should consider taking with us? I do have a table-top tripod that came with our video camera that should fit the HP that I might attempt to use during nighttime parades and fireworks displays.

I would suggest something like this http://www.energizer.com/products/rechargeables/ rather than a dock, along with 2 or 3 sets of batteries, 2500 mAH. If your camera will take a skylight filter, I suggest that also. I would purchase another memory card, 512 or 1 gig, inexpensive now. Also, some carrying bag to keep everything together while traveling. lastly, make sure to read your manual. Enjoy, hope to see the results when you return. :cool1:

Helpful as always Dan. I had proposed buying 2 sets of rechargable batteries and a charger, but DH is set on the dock. :confused3 Currently I have a bag big enough to hold the camera, memory card and a set of batteries. I might consider getting another card, even if only a 128mb or 256mb.

iNTeNSeBLue98 said:
Helpful as always Dan. I had proposed buying 2 sets of rechargable batteries and a charger, but DH is set on the dock. :confused3 Currently I have a bag big enough to hold the camera, memory card and a set of batteries. I might consider getting another card, even if only a 128mb or 256mb.
I would definitely reccomend getting a second card...I just went with me new digital camera in October and had a 512 MB...it holds alot of pictures, but I took alot more than I expected. When I got home, I did not get a chance to print them all and was going to New york for the weeked. I still hadnt gotten a chance to go through all the pictures...which I prefer to do on the computer, so I had to go thru almost 300 pictures on the train on the way there. So its nice to have two just in case you take more pictures than expected and don't want to go through them right away. But more importantly, if something happens and the card gets lost its good to have a back up. Unfortunately we only had a 16mb and 32mb for our extra cards...which is really nothing w/ a 5 megapixel camera. But luckily we were ok with the 512...but next time I am going to bring extra.

iNTeNSeBLue98 said:
Let him use the dock, you use the other, LOL. Much less expensive, more efficient. Take a look at the 512 and 1 gig prices here. http://www.buy.com/cat/secure_digital/56943.html

Sounds like you are set. But *do* bring the tripod!

iNTeNSeBLue98 said:

hey long time no see...

I agree with Dan skip the dock and get rechargeables and a charger I also agree with Dan on the memory, it's better to have more than you need, than to not have enough...

LeesyUD said:
I would definitely reccomend getting a second card...I just went with me new digital camera in October and had a 512 MB...it holds alot of pictures, but I took alot more than I expected. When I got home, I did not get a chance to print them all and was going to New york for the weeked. I still hadnt gotten a chance to go through all the pictures...which I prefer to do on the computer, so I had to go thru almost 300 pictures on the train on the way there. So its nice to have two just in case you take more pictures than expected and don't want to go through them right away. But more importantly, if something happens and the card gets lost its good to have a back up. Unfortunately we only had a 16mb and 32mb for our extra cards...which is really nothing w/ a 5 megapixel camera. But luckily we were ok with the 512...but next time I am going to bring extra.

why not copy your pics to the computer right away and then you can format and re-use the card

:wave2: Hiya Mickey88!

I've been around, just not active posting.

MICKEY88 said:
why not copy your pics to the computer right away and then you can format and re-use the card

I won't have a laptop with me in WDW.

iNTeNSeBLue98 said:

that message was for LeesyUD

take lots of pics and remember to share with your friends..

iNTeNSeBLue98 said:

Then you should keep in mind that you can have your pics burned to CD at the camera shops in all 4 theme parks.

This is a good idea even if you have plenty of memory, because it means that your pics will be safe on a CD back in your room safe instead of being lugged around the parks in your camera.

I also make sure to have more than one memory card with me at all times just in case one of them goes wiggo on me. Memory cards are small enough that carrying a backup is not an inconvenience.

Be sure to burn a second copy of that cd when you get home. Put one CD away, that will be your negatives.

iNTeNSeBLue98 said:
Thanks for the tip to get them burned on a CD while in the parks. Any idea what the charge is?

$12.99 per CD, limit 120 pics.

Much cheaper at Walgreens off-site ($3.99 per CD, as many pics as the CD will hold), if you have a car.

MICKEY88 said:
I do always do that..I have an obsession making sure my pictures are backed up in more than 1 spot...I get so paranoid that something will happen to the computer(it's getting older and not as reliable) so I usually leave the pictures on the card until I print them. I have a new photo printer actually where I can just put the memory card in and print them out....also the printer stores about 1000 photos...so from now on I'll save them to my computer and to the photo printer...and that way I can still print them up very easily. The last time we used the card up on our Disney trip I just did not have the money or time to get the pictures printed and we did not have the photo printer yet. When we went I away to New York I forgot that I had not yet saved them on the computer which I usually do and it was just a pain to go through them all on a train. But I do know better now :flower: Especially bc now my new photo printer can hook up to the tv and I can go through and print pictures that way and its so much fun :sunny:

I would also back them up to a CD. Computer hard drives and printers can fail. You can't be too careful with your images.

WillCAD said:
$12.99 per CD, limit 120 pics.

Much cheaper at Walgreens off-site ($3.99 per CD, as many pics as the CD will hold), if you have a car.

Thanks for the info!I just got my first digital camera and came to this board to try to learn something. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter