Flying into Bellingham

kcool

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have experience flying into Bellingham Washington for an Alaskan Cruise out of Vancouver? I am looking for transportation ideas. Amtrak times do not work for us. We are thinking of renting a car or using quickcoach (but they didn’t have schedules out for May yet). Any opinions or suggestions? Thank you!

We've always used Quick Coach out of Seattle for 3 cruises with good results and it stopped in Bellingham. Their time schedule is really accurate as far as arrival at the pier.

Hopefully it isn't Allegiant you're considering; we have flown a few times out of BLI with Allegiant and we've never had an on-time flight!

I've flown out of Bellingham before (we live in between Seatac and Bellingham). Unfortunately because we are local I've never had to arrange transportation. However, if I had to do this without a car, I'd just take a rideshare service. Uber quotes me $150 for an XL.

I've flown out of Bellingham before (we live in between Seatac and Bellingham). Unfortunately because we are local I've never had to arrange transportation. However, if I had to do this without a car, I'd just take a rideshare service. Uber quotes me $150 for an XL.
Does Uber cross the international border though? I don't think they do....

I wasn't sure either but it gave me the option to book the ride so maybe? Worst case 1 Uber to Peace Arch and 1 from?
Yes I was thinking that taking it to the border, walking across and then getting another one. In that case I would use truck crossing instead of Peace Arch (more places for the uber to pick you up at truck crossing).

Note: Am local to the area (Canadian side)

No, Uber/Lyft will not cross the border. They can take you there and drop you off, and get one on the other side.

QuickConnect or Flixbus will get you over the border into Vancouver. Be prepared that buses can and will be up to an hour delayed, as they often start their runs south of seattle, and any traffic issues will delay things. Also, the Bellingham Airport is not near anything else, so it is not walkable to the Amtrak station even if it were available (It is on the opposite side of Bellingham).

Do not try to rush the border. Ensure you have 2 hours budgeted for border delays (traffic + they have to clear your entire bus). If you get through faster, great!

On the plus side, Bellingham is a small airport, so luggage comes out fast. On the downside, Bellingham is a small airport, so you are walking on the tarmac to get on/off the plane, so it could rain on you.

Pay attention to where the bus drops off in Vancouver. Note that the cruise terminal and most hotels are around Waterfront, and that Grand Central Station (where many buses drop off) is NOT walkable to hotels (but is to the rapid transit), and is on the edge of a depressed area (so you will see some homeless people). It isn't unsafe, but be aware of what you may see.

Speaking of Uber/Lyft, make sure your phone plan can handle Canada. Don't be surprised by international charges.

Note: Am local to the area (Canadian side)

No, Uber/Lyft will not cross the border. They can take you there and drop you off, and get one on the other side.

QuickConnect or Flixbus will get you over the border into Vancouver. Be prepared that buses can and will be up to an hour delayed, as they often start their runs south of seattle, and any traffic issues will delay things. Also, the Bellingham Airport is not near anything else, so it is not walkable to the Amtrak station even if it were available (It is on the opposite side of Bellingham).

Do not try to rush the border. Ensure you have 2 hours budgeted for border delays (traffic + they have to clear your entire bus). If you get through faster, great!

On the plus side, Bellingham is a small airport, so luggage comes out fast. On the downside, Bellingham is a small airport, so you are walking on the tarmac to get on/off the plane, so it could rain on you.

Pay attention to where the bus drops off in Vancouver. Note that the cruise terminal and most hotels are around Waterfront, and that Grand Central Station (where many buses drop off) is NOT walkable to hotels (but is to the rapid transit), and is on the edge of a depressed area (so you will see some homeless people). It isn't unsafe, but be aware of what you may see.

Speaking of Uber/Lyft, make sure your phone plan can handle Canada. Don't be surprised by international charges.
Thank you so much for all this information! It is really appreciated!

We are also flying into Bellingham was thinking about doing a rental, but I was starting to think about QuickConnect or other. Reading about the drop off issue not being near the port does make that less appealing. With a rental, I could drop the family off with the bags at the hotel and then worry about the car. Sometimes I wonder if it's not easier to just fly into Canada and take a cab. That's what we did last time, and it worked fine. Back then, however, there were direct flights from me to Vancouver. Now it's just as easy and cheaper to fly into Bellingham. Does anyone know how easy it is to return the car near the port?

We are also flying into Bellingham was thinking about doing a rental, but I was starting to think about QuickConnect or other. Reading about the drop off issue not being near the port does make that less appealing. With a rental, I could drop the family off with the bags at the hotel and then worry about the car. Sometimes I wonder if it's not easier to just fly into Canada and take a cab. That's what we did last time, and it worked fine. Back then, however, there were direct flights from me to Vancouver. Now it's just as easy and cheaper to fly into Bellingham. Does anyone know how easy it is to return the car near the port?
Be warned that not all rental companies will let you pick up in the US and drop off in Canada. And most of the ones that do charge a high one-way drop off charge.

Be warned that not all rental companies will let you pick up in the US and drop off in Canada. And most of the ones that do charge a high one-way drop off charge.
That is a great point. I had to do a one day on a business trip recently and they wanted an extra $100 if I dropped it off 2 hours away. I'm guessing that might be a pricey endeavor. Thanks for the heads up on that.

There are no major car rental drop-offs by the port in Vancouver. There are a couple of high-end ones, but the rest are many blocks away (if that close). The port in Vancouver is in the core of downtown, so there is not a lot of space for things like that.

Quick Coach/Shuttle is your best option - https://quickcoach.com/
They pick up directly from the Bellingham Airport and drop you off at Waterfront (that is about 200 yards from the port).

For how to get from Waterfront (where they drop off, or the rapid transit in Vancouver drops off) to the port... well I made a video 8 years ago about this (Complete with Disney Wonder):

Quick Coach/Shuttle pulls right into the Canada Pier garage/drop off area. Just be sure you book the right bus. It's the one that leaves Sea-Tac at 8:00 am with Canada Pier being the last stop.
EDIT: It only runs during cruise season.

Last edited:
Quick Coach/Shuttle pulls right into the Canada Pier garage/drop off area. Just be sure you book the right bus. It's the one that leaves Sea-Tac at 8:00 am with Canada Pier being the last stop.
EDIT: It only runs during cruise season.

This stop is listed as "Canada Place Pier" in these selections. Though Waterfront is not a big issue (it is just around the corner) if the Canada Place Pier option is not available for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter