Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! An October TR - 12/2 A PTR Link!

Hi Lesha!

I finally got the time to sit and read this TR, things have been hectic here and I've been away a lot!

Calvin has grown so much since your last trip, he is still adorable - especially in the Halloween costume!

I remember when you found out about your DH's condition as I have it too, how is he getting on with his new medication? It's not available here in the UK right now but fingers crossed it will be lol

Im so glad your pug is doing well but so sad to hear about the lab :(

Going from bottle to sippy cup is a big achievement, good job Calvin!

Hope you all enjoyed the rest of your trip :)

Hi Lesha!

I finally got the time to sit and read this TR, things have been hectic here and I've been away a lot!

Calvin has grown so much since your last trip, he is still adorable - especially in the Halloween costume!

I remember when you found out about your DH's condition as I have it too, how is he getting on with his new medication? It's not available here in the UK right now but fingers crossed it will be lol

Im so glad your pug is doing well but so sad to hear about the lab :(

Going from bottle to sippy cup is a big achievement, good job Calvin!

Hope you all enjoyed the rest of your trip :)

Monica! So great to see you on again :goodvibes Was wondering where you were. And looks like you have a trip in 11 months! Awesome! :dance3::cheer2::yay:

Oops, I fell behind again (what else is new!) but now I'm caught up! I'm glad to hear your pup is doing better, but so sorry to hear about the lab :worried:

You guys did a lot on your AK day. I'm enjoying the updates as usual ;)

I've been reading, but just couldn't comment. The thing about the lab, I just had no words. Looking forward to hearing happier posts from your trip.

I don't want you to think you can't vent here. I just hate people who don't know how to care for animals.

Great updates! Sorry, but those PP photos are too flippin' funny :rotfl::rotfl: :thumbsup2

Hey did you get your dates?? I can't remember if you said you got them or not...

Oops, I fell behind again (what else is new!) but now I'm caught up! I'm glad to hear your pup is doing better, but so sorry to hear about the lab :worried:

You guys did a lot on your AK day. I'm enjoying the updates as usual ;)

Hi Heather! Thanks!

I've been reading, but just couldn't comment. The thing about the lab, I just had no words. Looking forward to hearing happier posts from your trip.

I don't want you to think you can't vent here. I just hate people who don't know how to care for animals.

You and me both Alison.:furious:

Hi friends! Been busy doing surveys lately as it's the end of the year and the big Holiday giveaway is going on:cool1: But I have an update right now!

***I left us off leaving Animal Kingdom park to go check in at AKV***

Once at the bus stop, a bus came right away and we were off. I really enjoy being on an AKL bus. The music is amazing. I have all the files on my computer at home and listen to it often. Most people recognize this song as the ‘main’ AKL bus song

I checked my text to verify the room number - 5110. I had booked a 1 Bedroom Value Villa and I’m pretty sure I requested to be near the lobby (or maybe somewhere in the Sunset Savannah section). Walking to our room, I was so happy with the placement. Once we got off the elevators on the fifth floor, we needed to cross over the lobby and we were only a couple doors down the hall! I didn’t want to be super far away like we were at Kidani Village in December. Here’s our room

Everyone got comfortable immediately

I’m saying ‘Jambo!’ in our bathroom

As if you didn’t see me enough in PP pictures

I will always and forever love the artwork in the shower.

Getting some exercise after a long day in the stroller

Now onto our Value view

How is this a Value View?! Did we get upgraded? Or did some folks complain about it not being ‘Savannah’ enough so they offer this as a value/standard now? Either way, I was VERY happy with it. We saw plenty of zebras, giraffes and other four legged animals from our balcony.

Yay DH moved so I could take a picture of the couch

So I’m not happy about the toiletries you get as a DVC member. I was reading Brenda’s (emmysmommy) TR and noticed that when she checked into AKL she received body lotion, toothbrushes and mouthwash perhaps?! What the heck? Wouldn’t you think for paying so much to be a member, they would throw in some lotion? Or a hair net?! I actually do use hair nets people so gimme one! Our 3 measly products

Someone found the mirror

Everyone got their suitcases situated and put the groceries away. We’d be here longer than one night – 2 nights! :cool1: After about an hour of taking it easy and getting things organized, DM suggested that we go to the Mara like we did last year. Excellent idea! I then suggested that she stay with DS and DH and I will bring food up. She loved this idea better. So DH and I took off for the Mara about 7:30

Fabulous room! I think you must have gotten upgraded to a standard view, the values are supposed to be parking lot views. I could be wrong but that's my thought.

That is ONE beautiful view! I love seeing the 1 bedroom at AKL. Very interesting.

We don't use Disney buses, so I would not know they play different music on the buses.

I just love how everyone, including Calvin got so comfortable right away. Everyone apart from the poor photographer. :lmao:

Value can actually be a Savannah view. They are "shorter" than the other villas, (thuse less SF) that's what makes them value. I think there are all 3 views in the bunch, not sure (have a chart somewhere).

Yay for getting a Savannah one!

As if you didn’t see me enough in PP pictures
You're taking selfies in mirrors everywhere... on safari trucks, in bathrooms. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

I will always and forever love the artwork in the shower.
::yes::

Getting some exercise after a long day in the stroller
Much needed freedom!!!

Now onto our Value view
No, I think you mean Savannah View. :eek: :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Wouldn’t you think for paying so much to be a member, they would throw in some lotion? Or a hair net?! I actually do use hair nets people so gimme one!
:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

At least make sure you take the pen from the room if they aren't going to give you lotion or a hair net! And what about the shoe shine kit? :rotfl2::lmao:

Excellent idea! I then suggested that she stay with DS and DH and I will bring food up. She loved this idea better. So DH and I took off for the Mara about 7:30
Good call! With a view like that, you might as well take some time to stay in the room and enjoy it! :thumbsup2

Great room and great location! I love AKL. Nothing like hanging out on your balcony and watching the animals. Do I see Zebra Domes in the future?... :rotfl:

I love Animal Kingdom bus music. It's so relaxing.

Wow, that's a value view? Can't complain about that!

Brenda may have received more toiletries because they stayed Club Level. But Disney as a whole has definitely reduced the number of things you receive, that's for sure. I miss the ones packaged for the hotels particularly.

That is a great view!!!

Yes for my dates -- I haven't booked yet, but it will be end of September/beginning of Oct -- super excited :thumbsup2

Value can actually be a Savannah view. They are "shorter" than the other villas, (thuse less SF) that's what makes them value. I think there are all 3 views in the bunch, not sure (have a chart somewhere).

As Cynthia said, when you book a value there is no guarantee for the view but there are a variety of views and I guess you won the lotto. Essentially when they "converted" the Jambo rooms to Villas, they had to cannibalize some of the rooms and some just ended up being smaller than others. You didn't have an island in the kitchen and the entire thing had much less square footage than a "standard" or whatever other class of room.

You guys got a great room and view!

How adorable to see your little guy on the loose in the villa! That view is awesome! I really want to book a villa at AKL next time since I can get spoiled by the spaciousness. So this is one of the villas at Jambo. I was confused as far as what villas are at Kidani and which ones are at Jambo.

You have an eagle eye. Our regular resort room had the three products you had plus solar gel, body lotion, 2 bottles of mouthwash and 2 toothbrushes. I think they were into sharing good oral hygiene that day. :)

Awesome view of the Savannah!

I noticed a distinct lack of product this time round as well.

Fabulous room! I think you must have gotten upgraded to a standard view, the values are supposed to be parking lot views. I could be wrong but that's my thought.

From reading everyones replies, you're right! I got lucky:cool1:

That is ONE beautiful view! I love seeing the 1 bedroom at AKL. Very interesting.

We don't use Disney buses, so I would not know they play different music on the buses.

I just love how everyone, including Calvin got so comfortable right away. Everyone apart from the poor photographer. :lmao:

That is the one thing I disliked about the rental car, is the music. I guess I could have hooked up my ipod to the stereo and played my Disney list through there. Dangit! That's such a good idea that, of course, I would come up with right now!:rotfl2:

This is good to know! I did feel a lack of space in the bedroom, but felt like the rest of the room was pretty open and spacious. Is there a chart? I should find it before booking our next trip.

You're taking selfies in mirrors everywhere... on safari trucks, in bathrooms. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Hopefully those are the last selfies we'll see....:rolleyes1

No, I think you mean Savannah View. :eek: :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

:cool1::cheer2:

At least make sure you take the pen from the room if they aren't going to give you lotion or a hair net! And what about the shoe shine kit? :rotfl2::lmao:

:rotfl2: I forgot about the shoe shine kit! I remember always wondering why the heck those were in the room, until we had our nice dinner at Cali Grill back in 2010, and DH actually used it. Guess folks do ask for it!

Great room and great location! I love AKL. Nothing like hanging out on your balcony and watching the animals. Do I see Zebra Domes in the future?... :rotfl:

Dang you're good :lmao:

I love Animal Kingdom bus music. It's so relaxing.

Wow, that's a value view? Can't complain about that!

Brenda may have received more toiletries because they stayed Club Level. But Disney as a whole has definitely reduced the number of things you receive, that's for sure. I miss the ones packaged for the hotels particularly.

I listen to the AK music at least 4 times a week. Especially when i'm cooking! It's more relaxing to cook that way than with the tv in the background.

Ooh, good call on Club Level :thumbsup2

That is a great view!!!

Yes for my dates -- I haven't booked yet, but it will be end of September/beginning of Oct -- super excited :thumbsup2

Yay! That's awesome!

As Cynthia said, when you book a value there is no guarantee for the view but there are a variety of views and I guess you won the lotto. Essentially when they "converted" the Jambo rooms to Villas, they had to cannibalize some of the rooms and some just ended up being smaller than others. You didn't have an island in the kitchen and the entire thing had much less square footage than a "standard" or whatever other class of room.

You guys got a great room and view!

I didn't know that the kitchens came with islands. Is it just Jambo house that has islands? I don't remember Kidani having them.

How adorable to see your little guy on the loose in the villa! That view is awesome! I really want to book a villa at AKL next time since I can get spoiled by the spaciousness. So this is one of the villas at Jambo. I was confused as far as what villas are at Kidani and which ones are at Jambo.

You have an eagle eye. Our regular resort room had the three products you had plus solar gel, body lotion, 2 bottles of mouthwash and 2 toothbrushes. I think they were into sharing good oral hygiene that day. :)

Wow! That's a lof of fun stuff! What I think happened was, Disney somehow saw my drawer at home that's PACKED OUT with H20 products and will no longer provide me with additional supply. Drat!

Awesome view of the Savannah!

I noticed a distinct lack of product this time round as well.

I was very excited and shocked to see this view! I actually thought for a moment that I booked a savannah view.

***Left us off on our way to get some dinner at The Mara***

I just love the lobby. It’s so charming and warm

I wanted to walk around for a little bit before going over to the Mara. We checked out the pool. Pretty empty

The Uzima Springs pool bar had some people. DH of course high-tailed it over to check out the sports situation

As we were walking from Uzima Springs to the Mara, I heard music and I started smiling because it’s the same music I listen to at home and DH said, “You love it here huh?” I told him I could sit out here on a lounger with a beer and listen to the music all day!

Time for comida!

And yes. It was freezing in there like it always is

Baked goods are always good.

Refillable mugs. I was a little sad I was not picking one up for the Dining Plan. This is the first time we had not used the Dining Plan for this trip. Although the colors were different, they were they exact same from December 2012. No one likes Orange apparently. However, the DIS-green was almost gone

DH could not decide what he wanted to eat and he asked a CM what she liked here. She loved the African Stew and the Falafel Pita. I swear DH was there talking to her for over 5 minutes going back and forth between different items. She was super nice about it and laughed when he finally made a decision. Once our order was placed, we took a few minutes to look around while we were waiting for our food.

I of course had to take another picture of Mr. Pibb. I’m sure I was getting some crazy looks taking this. But I’m just shocked that they have it here! I wish that they would provide this throughout WDW.

Refrigerated items including fruits, salads, yogurts and desserts

And I saw something I knew I had to get. I’ve never had them before so I picked up some Zebra Domes :cool1: Everyone always raves about how great they are so I knew I needed to find this out for myself

So what did we order anyway?

I ordered the Chicken Flatbread - Chicken Breast, Berbere sauce, mozzarella, corn and Zhoug drizzle. DM ordered the Chicken Pita - Chicken breast served on a warm pita with sun dried tomato hummus, cucumber, tomato, mixed greens and mint yogurt sauce. And DH didn’t get the African Stew or the Falafel. Nothing ‘African-inspired’ about his dish at all aside from the couscous. Chicken Breast Nuggets! Aye! DM absolutely loved her pita!

A close up of my flatbread.

No, it wasn’t good. Not one bit.

Zebra Domes

They were so decadent! I wasn’t really sure what to expect of them. I thought they were going to be chocolate filled but they had some other type of filling. Like a creamy, coffee-ish filling. I can’t explain it. But it was very rich. I definitely couldn’t eat more than one.

We all slowly ate our food and watched some Big Bang Theory (Bazinga!). DM wanted to go take a shower and so I went out onto the balcony and DH changed the tv to football (cus he can’t miss Sunday Night Football!) I was looking out from the balcony and you could see some Zebras and other animals and I called DH to come out with me. We hung out there for about 5 minutes chatting and then DH turned to go inside and BAM!!! Ran right into the glass door and the slam took DH back and it pushed him back up into the railing. I died laughing, putting my face into the railing doing the silent laughter. You know the kind, where you’re laughing so hard you can’t make any noise at all?:rotfl2: DH was doing the same thing! It was hysterical! I wish I was taking video at that exact moment. All I had was my camera with me so managed to get these 2 shots.

Here, he asked if his nose was bleeding. This picture also shows the area of the door that he was trying to walk into. See that imaginary opening right there? LOL!

And this picture is of him walking through the real opening!

I regret not taking a picture of the big smudge on the door for keepsakes!

After DM got out of the shower, I, being the good wife, of course re-enacted the whole scene for her. We all had a great laugh!

I stayed out there for a few more minutes with DM and attempted taking a few pictures, but it was so dark out.

This one I brightened up the picture so you can see the giraffes laying down to the left

And then DM proceeded to ask, a question that ended our night:

DM: “Won’t the animals fall down into that hole out there since it’s so dark out?” Me: “Um. What hole, where?”
DM: “There! Right in the middle of all the trees.”
Me: “Yeah, that’s a pond….”
DM: “….Time for bed, huh?”
Me: “Yep, I think so.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter