For those folks driving!

OK,

I finally got the high speed connected at the FL house. These were my times traveling down rt 95 Friday night and Sat morning.

This was by far the most traffic I have ever seen . You could tell New England was going on vacation.

Rt 44 Carver to NYC (GW Bridge) 4 hours (we sat in traffic for 30 minutes, this is the first time this has happened at 10:00PM

Rt 95 / NJ TPK to Baltimore 4 hours (Stopped in Carey's Junction NJ - Exit 1 The Flying J truck stop for gas and a light snack (Gas is about .10 a gal cheaper than the turnpike). The NJ TPK rest areas had unbelievable backups, the last one was almost 2 miles long)

Baltimore to Fredericksburg VA 1.5 hours

Fredericksburg to Dillon SC (South of the Border) 3 hours 45 min Stopped for breakfast 30 min

Dillon to Savannah GA 3 hours 30 min

Savannah to Jacksonville 2 hours

Jacksonville to Deltona 2 hours

Total time including gas stops, bathroom and food breaks and a stop at Harbor Freight outlet in Dillon (I'm a sucker for discount tools)

22 Hours.

We didn't push it, travelled with traffic, most ot the time we were at speed limit or 5 to 10 above.

I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Wow, traffic in NYC at 10:00 at night? We're leaving NH at 5:00pm, and hope to reach NYC at about 10:00pm, just so we could avoid the traffic. Maybe it won't be so bad on a Friday night (the 29th) :confused3

Langin...It's about 8 hours from Southern Maine to Harrisburg. I'd say about 11 hours from Pa to Georgia and another 4-5 to WDW depending on traffic on I-4. Last year it took us 23 hours of driving time taking 84-81-66-17-95-4. That doesn't include our stop overnight in NC. I'm really not sure how much longer it will take us using 77-26. People I've spoken to about this route say mileage wise it may be a little longer, but time wise it's shorter because of less traffic. This is a very scenic route because you spend a lot of time in the mountains. Hope this helps a little. :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Areno79

I think it was because everyone from MA, RI and CT were leaving on vacation. I have never had that problem before in the several times since Sept that I have gone at that time. There was just soooo many other New Englanders on the road that It just had to be the reason. I have also never seen the backups at any of the NJTPK rest areas that I saw.

I'm sure that you will have better luck

We returned by Amtrak on Sunday from Rhode Island. Because of the Red Sox, spring break for RI (not sure about other states but it was on the news in Providence) and the Boston Marathon, we heard the airports were really crowded also. We saw traffic in CT at around 5 pm or so from the train and it was almost at a standstill. It was heavy at almost every point the train was close enough to I-95 til it got too dark to see the roads from the tracks when we left NY.

Drcell01 said:
We are planning on leaving Syracuse, NY at 7 pm on Apr. 16th and driving straight through (DW and I will take shifts) and plan on checking in at hotel by 3pm on Sunday. We have done this drive many times but never straight through.
I would hope you can give me your insight what time you started ,where you stoped etc. 1st time driving with the kids 15 11 and 4 . ::MickeyMo

We just returned this past Thursday evening. DW, DD (14), daughter's friend (15), and myself.

Our departure was about 6:45 pm from Syracuse, NY and made our first stop in Gibson PA (about 115 miles from home) because they have one of the lowest gas prices on the east coast ($2.07 per gallon). From there we drove I-81 south through the Harrisburg PA area where we gased up again (low gas price and liquid for ourselves). We got to North Carolina about 2 am and switched drivers and refueled. Continued on and passed South of the Border around daybreak stopping in Santee, SC for a breakfast break (about 1 hour).We refueled, switched drivers again and I drove the remainder to FL where we arrived too early to check in to hotel (2:30 pm) and went to DTD before arriving at hotel about 3:30pm.

Suggestions:

Try to time travel through Washington DC area to weekends and non-rush hour times.
When traveling through Washington DC use HOV lanes no matter what time of day. (Backups were noticed on return trip (non HOV lanes) even at 11 am on a Thursday.
Lowest gas prices were at exit 104 in Northern VA ($1.98 per gallon) and Brunswick, GA ($2.04 per gallon).
Highest prices were in NC ($2.23 per gallon).
Also be aware that even smaller towns have rush hour traffic and be ready for sudden stops. We witnessed an accident on Thursday afternoon in Fredrick, MD where a car did not notice the backup at an off ramp and locked up the breaks and drove their SUV into an embankment, fliped, and stopped by hitting a tree. Driver was ok but understandably shaken.

Daughter and friend had CD players and VCR TV combo in back of SUV.

I hope this helps. If you have other specific questions please post.

Frederick, MD isn't really a small town. I know people commute to the DC area everyday from as far North as Harrisburg, PA and as far south as Richmond. I have to pass through Frederick on my way up to where my DS goes to college in PA and I intentionally avoid rush hour because traffic through Frederick is the worst part of the trip. Even HOV lanes aren't necessarily free sailing. We used the DC beltway as little as possible and bypass most of I-95 using other routes depending on where we're going. That said, DC beltway is easier to travel early on Sat and Sun mornings and weeknights after 8pm or so. Beware though at night there is usually construction somewhere on I-95 in MD or VA. They use the less busy hours to work on the roads. We've driven to DW once and multiple times to Alabama and Texas as well as north on I-95 to NY and Philly. We always leave early in the am to get out of the metropolitan areas before traffic picks up.

We leave this Friday (29th) from the DC area (I know how to avoid our traffic and the bridge project!). Has anyone who has driven down 95 recently encountered any major roadwork/delay?

My 3 year old is a type 1 diabetic and we try to plan for construction delays in advance - sometimes we really need to stop and eat at a certain time. Of course I have plenty of stuff in car if we really get stuck.

Other than the normal construction in the DC/NVA area (this has been going on since I lived there in the early 80's) there were no major construction issues from NVA to Orlando. It was an un-eventful drive for us last week other than the accident we witnessed in Fredrick, MD.

Drcell01 said:
We just returned this past Thursday evening. DW, DD (14), daughter's friend (15), and myself.

Our departure was about 6:45 pm from Syracuse, NY and made our first stop in Gibson PA (about 115 miles from home) because they have one of the lowest gas prices on the east coast ($2.07 per gallon). From there we drove I-81 south through the Harrisburg PA area where we gased up again (low gas price and liquid for ourselves). We got to North Carolina about 2 am and switched drivers and refueled. Continued on and passed South of the Border around daybreak stopping in Santee, SC for a breakfast break (about 1 hour).We refueled, switched drivers again and I drove the remainder to FL where we arrived too early to check in to hotel (2:30 pm) and went to DTD before arriving at hotel about 3:30pm.

Suggestions:

Try to time travel through Washington DC area to weekends and non-rush hour times.
When traveling through Washington DC use HOV lanes no matter what time of day. (Backups were noticed on return trip (non HOV lanes) even at 11 am on a Thursday.
Lowest gas prices were at exit 104 in Northern VA ($1.98 per gallon) and Brunswick, GA ($2.04 per gallon).
Highest prices were in NC ($2.23 per gallon).
Also be aware that even smaller towns have rush hour traffic and be ready for sudden stops. We witnessed an accident on Thursday afternoon in Fredrick, MD where a car did not notice the backup at an off ramp and locked up the breaks and drove their SUV into an embankment, fliped, and stopped by hitting a tree. Driver was ok but understandably shaken.

Daughter and friend had CD players and VCR TV combo in back of SUV.

I hope this helps. If you have other specific questions please post.
I wanted to avoid that D.c. area all together have you ever took 81 down towards viginia and took 64 towards richmond than get on 95 does anyone know how much time would be added to the trip . I hear its very pretty

Hi Taurus 8012,

We are just across town from you in Cicero near Lake Oneida. We have traveled down 81 the way you are describing but only to travel to Nashville, TN. We lived in the NVA are for a few years in the early 80's and the blue ridge mountains that start near Front Royal, VA are very nice (mostly in the fall). However, if you are trying to get to WDW as quickly as possible then this route that you are choosing is "out of the way" as much as two additional hours to your travel as you will be going further west and then traveling east on I-64 to get back to I-95.

My suggestion would be to travel the direct route during "off-peak" hours.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the information; My company transfered me from Buffalo to the Syracuse area 5 years ago and since I have refused several transfers because my wife (who is my universe but not Disney crazy :banana: like myself) absolutely loves the Liverpool area. Question I see that you are a DVC member ; Do you feel thats its worth it ?

Our plan leaving Western MA is to leave right after lunch. Stop in NJ (family is there) for dinner and then leave NJ once the traffic dies down (won't hold our breath though....anyone not knowing NJ- it's mostly traffic 24-7. LOL). So we'll leave NJ around 7-8pm and drive through. 2 kids- 3.5 and 20 mos. DVD player in minivan but we pray they sleep through the night. DH wants to stop at SOTB. I've been and have zero interest! lol! We hope to hit WDW at 4pm since that's check-in.

Anyone see any major problems in our plan?....minus the 2 tiny kids who will hate being in the car. Yeah, we'll make potty stops and McD's playarea stops.

cheyennemama said:
Our plan leaving Western MA is to leave right after lunch. Stop in NJ (family is there) for dinner and then leave NJ once the traffic dies down (won't hold our breath though....anyone not knowing NJ- it's mostly traffic 24-7. LOL). So we'll leave NJ around 7-8pm and drive through. 2 kids- 3.5 and 20 mos. DVD player in minivan but we pray they sleep through the night. DH wants to stop at SOTB. I've been and have zero interest! lol! We hope to hit WDW at 4pm since that's check-in.

Anyone see any major problems in our plan?....minus the 2 tiny kids who will hate being in the car. Yeah, we'll make potty stops and McD's playarea stops.

cheyennemama,

Is your 20 month potty trained? The reason I ask, is because when we went down in 04, our ds (7months at the time) required many more stops for diaper changes than we anticipated. It seems that his wet diaper tolerance went down because he was in his seat. Having said that, we are guilty of many diaper changes on normal days though, so this may not be an issue for your child. Just a thought.

20 mo is not potty trained. Even my 3.5 yo is barely potty trained. :sad2: I also notice they drink more cups out of boredom when in the car. So yeah, we'll have to stop I guess every 3-4 hrs for that. And once they're out of the carseats, forget about it! :bounce:

cheyennemama said:

Has your DH ever been to SOTB? IMHO the signage leads to the biggest letdown. Goodluck on your drive :flower:

dreamer423 said:
Has your DH ever been to SOTB? IMHO the signage leads to the biggest letdown. Goodluck on your drive :flower:

I Second That! ;)

SOTB is a worthy place to use the bathroom, and spend about 10-15 minutes to add another shot glass or bumper sticker to your collection to say "yup been there" but it is certainly not the "all day event" some people think it is before going there. On our trip in december we stopped there TRYING to waste time (left too early in the day, by about 6 hours, due to anticipation). I couldn't get everyone to enjoy staying there for more then a 1/2 hour. JR's in NC however is a dynamite place to stop and shop if your schedule allows, there is also a Russel Stover Chocolates outlet near the "Smiths Chevron" (dont know what exit but its well advertised somewhere just north of JR's)

Everyone have a safe trip...I dont get to do it again for 7 more months :crazy:

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter