Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

It depends on whether you're refurbing existing rooms and adding a microwave and a toaster, or if you're building a new building that might or might not be added to the existing association, or if you start selling points on February 29th of next year...

Lots of science involved.
there really hasn't been much science involved.

Is it a add on to another DVC resort? Does deed have enough years to market and sell in all 50 states? YES? no restrictions. No? resale restrictions
Is it a totally new DVC resort? Yes resale restrictions.

Well, they will STILL build a DVC soon on the old River Country property at Fort Wilderness. So for those of you who want DELUXE accomodations, be patient. And then you can evaluate the offering.

The Cabins at FW are aging out NOW so they need to be addressed.

In about 10 years when I'm ready to buy resale, I'll buy a cabin contract possibly. We stayed in the legacy cabins and are comfortable with those kinds of accomodations. :rolleyes:

To each his own.

ED

The rack rates for the current cabins in June is $525/$552.
The same dates, an OKW studio is $516/$532.

An OKW studio costs 10/15 points. So it would be fair if the cabins would cost 11/16 points per night.

What will happen is that Disney will increase the cash rate for the cabins after the conversion to DVC (all DVC rack rates are inflated, in my opinion, to make it appear a better deal). So, I think we should expect a cabin to cost a bit more, I'd say in the region of Poly/VGF studios, 19/22 would be acceptable.
I'd expect their marketing to be: a 1BR for the price of a studio.

Anything more would be excessive IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned potential maintenance fees. Transportation costs should be a little higher. Resorts with many busses, like SSR and OKW, have higher transportation costs. Fort Wilderneas has many busses, both internl and external, plus boats.

I'm guessing that insurance costs may be higher than than that of a multifloor building with multiple units sharing one roof (lower floors have much lower risks). Fort Wilderness obviously had many trees that can fall and cause damage.

I'd guess estimates to repair and replace will be higher. Can't expect maintenance to be less than other resorts, and there are added elements with steps, buildings exposed to elements, etc. Every other DVC resort is expected to have its building last through length of contract. The cabins are glorified mobile homes with shorter lives and, if like the retiring cabins, will need to be entirely replaced in 25 years. Presumably these costs, at least for first replacement, are own owners. (Related, curious if ownership will be to part of Cabin #X or like a sublease to ground Cabin Site #X).

Housekeeping had more costs with need for carts. I don't know if it takes any longer considering distances between cabins and rain. On distances, they can assume if a cart or car is parked that room is still occupied, but same assumptions can't be made on other days. I know it's small to consider, but the difference between walking to three straight rooms in a hall and three straight cabins (driving to, walking up to, turned away, walking to cart, driving to next cabin, walking/turned away/walking back, etc adds up. On rain it's not like they're inside a corridor moving between units. It wouldn't surprise if more housekeeping is needed to turn rooms over timely to get around rain, travel times, etc.

Even member activities, there's more to do at FW than other resorts.

Even utilities can be a smidge higher. Even waste collection costs more.

Up and down the maintenance fee list I don't see much there will "for sure" be lower than average. But there are many things that costing a few more cents here and there that add up. But maybe it's offset if ad valorem taxes come in lower.

Not anything to lose sleep about but just something to keep in mind when announcements are made, so we're not surprised if we end up surprised (which sounds like a Yogi Berra phrase).

I'm a little concerned potential maintenance fees. Transportation costs should be a little higher. Resorts with many busses, like SSR and OKW, have higher transportation costs. Fort Wilderneas has many busses, both internl and external, plus boats.

I'm guessing that insurance costs may be higher than than that of a multifloor building with multiple units sharing one roof (lower floors have much lower risks). Fort Wilderness obviously had many trees that can fall and cause damage.

I'd guess estimates to repair and replace will be higher. Can't expect maintenance to be less than other resorts, and there are added elements with steps, buildings exposed to elements, etc. Every other DVC resort is expected to have its building last through length of contract. The cabins are glorified mobile homes with shorter lives and, if like the retiring cabins, will need to be entirely replaced in 25 years. Presumably these costs, at least for first replacement, are own owners. (Related, curious if ownership will be to part of Cabin #X or like a sublease to ground Cabin Site #X).

Housekeeping had more costs with need for carts. I don't know if it takes any longer considering distances between cabins and rain. On distances, they can assume if a cart or car is parked that room is still occupied, but same assumptions can't be made on other days. I know it's small to consider, but the difference between walking to three straight rooms in a hall and three straight cabins (driving to, walking up to, turned away, walking to cart, driving to next cabin, walking/turned away/walking back, etc adds up. On rain it's not like they're inside a corridor moving between units. It wouldn't surprise if more housekeeping is needed to turn rooms over timely to get around rain, travel times, etc.

Even member activities, there's more to do at FW than other resorts.

Even utilities can be a smidge higher. Even waste collection costs more.

Up and down the maintenance fee list I don't see much there will "for sure" be lower than average. But there are many things that costing a few more cents here and there that add up. But maybe it's offset if ad valorem taxes come in lower.

Not anything to lose sleep about but just something to keep in mind when announcements are made, so we're not surprised if we end up surprised (which sounds like a Yogi Berra phrase).
But if it's declared in the Trust, MF will be an average of the MF across all resorts. That's one of the advantages of a Trust... for the developer. To "hide" high MF resorts behind cheaper ones.

Although in this case, the bus cost is shared with the cash campsites, right? Unlike SSR and OKW where it's all DVC. But totally agree that there are a lot of costs that seem like they will be much higher at Ft. Wildnerness given the really different nature of the set-up v. a normal hotel-like structure.

The Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions, Memorandum of Ground Lease, Common Facilities Agreement and Non-Exclusive Access Easement Agreement for The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort were recorded on Friday - Document Nos. 20230743961, 20230743962, 20230743963 & 20230743964.

The Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions, Memorandum of Ground Lease, Common Facilities Agreement and Non-Exclusive Access Easement Agreement for The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort were recorded on Friday - Document Nos. 20230743961, 20230743962, 20230743963 & 20230743964.

are there any multi site POS amendment documents filed yet ?

They do end of year for updated budgets but also to add new rooms coming.

How do I find that?? And are there any multi site POS amendment documents filed yet ?

They do end of year for updated budgets but also to add new rooms coming.
Go here: https://occompt.com/official-records/search-official-records/
Click accept
Go to Basic Official Records Search
Fill-in the Document Nos (20230743961, 20230743962, 20230743963 & 20230743964)
hit search

The POS documents do not get recorded in the public records. I'm not sure where we would find those, but note no applicable new SEC filings: https://www.sec.gov/edgar/browse/?CIK=1744489

Go here: https://occompt.com/official-records/search-official-records/
Click accept
Go to Basic Official Records Search
Fill-in the Document Nos (20230743961, 20230743962, 20230743963 & 20230743964)
hit search

The POS documents do not get recorded in the public records. I'm not sure where we would find those, but note no applicable new SEC filings: https://www.sec.gov/edgar/browse/?CIK=1744489
Just read the Memorandum of Ground Lease and it definitely looks like they're moving forward with the Trust.

Let’s face it. They’re marketing these to the same kind of person who’ve always rented these for cash. They didn’t have a problem keeping them filled that way, and they’re now going to attract a whole new kind of DVC member who’ll probably book these pretty solid before the 7-month window opens, once things get established, that is.

I had looked and the cabins seemingly were fairly inexpensive for a 1 bedroom style room at Disney. Slightly less than AOA and drastically less than any Villa 1 bedroom.

So they were filled because it was the cheapest option for a 1 bedroom setup.

If these are cheap point charts then it will likely go over well as well.

Now give us a point chart so we can see how much Disney is going to gouge us for these cabins. Hopefully 1BR pricing but this is Disney so only time will tell 🤞🙏🤞
I think they should stick with what the cabins were before as part of the hotel collection, they were moderately priced like around 30-50 points a night and of course more during busy periods

I think they should stick with what the cabins were before as part of the hotel collection, they were moderately priced like around 30-50 points a night and of course more during busy periods

That might of been conversion costs but they were way less when comparing cash prices. It was like the price of a studio price in villas from a cash perspective.

I had looked and the cabins seemingly were fairly inexpensive for a 1 bedroom style room at Disney. Slightly less than AOA and drastically less than any Villa 1 bedroom.

So they were filled because it was the cheapest option for a 1 bedroom setup.

If these are cheap point charts then it will likely go over well as well.
If someone needs a place for 2 adults and 4 children to sleep, then the cabins make sense. But I would not want to be a party of 6 adults cramming in there.

But for a party of 5, a Kidani 1-bedroom (with its 2 bathrooms) makes a lot more sense.

For this reason, the cabins should IMO cost fewer points per night than a Kidani 1-bedroom.

Also, the cabins should cost fewer points per night than 2 Studios at OKW or SSR. 2 Studios is going to be a much better arrangement for 6 adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter