Gas versus electric stove top

Gas is better to cook with. If the air blows the flames, the stove is probably not buring correctly or you have other issues. Ellecteic ovens are better, but gas stovetops beat out ellectric. Other things to consider with the glass top ellectric ranges are what you cook with. If using say a dutch oven or cast iron, they will destroy an ellectric glass range top. Just my 2 cents.

No one type is better then the others, it is mostly a matter of personal preference. Have always had electric appliances in the homes where I have lived and they work fine. The new induction cooktops may require you to replace your pans to a type that is compatible so good to know that before buying. Glass electric cooktops can work with any type of pan, you just need to use common sense and not drag/drop a heavier pan on the glass surface. Even once the flame is out on a gas cooktop, the metallic parts will still be hot for a period of time so it isn't like the entire cooking surface will immediately be cold, think of how your outdoor BBQ works.

I don't store things on it. I use it as serving space when serving food in casseroles, etc. It's extremely difficult to accidentally turn on the burners on my stove. They are on the rear of the unit above the top.
You know you can do the same with a gas stove, right?

As for me, I'll never go back to electric.

The controls for electric are up on top on the back panel and not in front like a gas stove. It's not really easy to accidentally turn one on without knowing. They also have LED lights to tell you they are still hot.
Controls are all over the place depending on the specific model.

I stand by my claim that it is a horrible idea to store things on a gas or electric cooktop when not in use.

I’m looking for opinions. I’ve had a gas stove my whole life. I will be moving soon to an area that has mostly electric. I’ve been trying to find a home that has both gas and meets my other “wants” but it’s not easy.
who has gone from has to electric? Did you hate it? Was it not a big deal?
If you want the convenience of gas without the open flame, try induction. I have had it for 5 years and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. It is way safer than gas, safer for people with kids, because unless there is a metal pot on it, it will not turn on. I use cast iron mostly. It is easy to clean, boils water in about 1 minute, shuts off immediately. When I was a kid, I watched my Mom's flannel sleeve catch fire when she reached across the gas stove. My dad took it out that day and replaced it with an electric. Good luck!

In this case, your issue with gas cooking wasn't the fuel source, but the appliances you were using with it. Newer American stoves (as in, less than 40 years old) have piezoelectric starters, so you *do* just have to turn a knob -- if the power is working. If it isn't, you still have the backup option of lighting the gas appliance with a match; a workaround that electric appliances don't offer.
oh I didn’t make it clear. My current gas stove is modern so no matches needed. I’m fine with it. But I didn’t get to cook with a decent gas stove until I was in my 60s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter