Graduation Decorum Rant

I seem to recall our school administration taking notes as to which student's family members were doing the hollering and whistling and whatnot. Those students then came up to the podium to be handed a "placeholder" diploma, switched around on them right on stage LOL by the school secretary. In fact, anyone with "issues", behavioral or academic, got to pay the rental fee for the robes, got to pay the photographer fees, got to pay for all the other costs, got to walk the stage... but it was all for appearances' sake. You didn't get your diploma until 2 weeks later after the principal returned to the building after HIS vacation!

You can imagine how infuriated all those entitled parents were when they met up with their little snowflakes, only to have their kid hold out a beige blank piece of paper, instead of an actual diploma that they could now use in university applications or internships... turns out that hooting and hollering in public like a gibbon, at a occasion that demands decorum, impacts the ability to get a job or apply for higher education....

I'd suggest your powers of recall aren't what you seem to believe they are.

I seem to recall our school administration taking notes as to which student's family members were doing the hollering and whistling and whatnot. Those students then came up to the podium to be handed a "placeholder" diploma, switched around on them right on stage LOL by the school secretary. In fact, anyone with "issues", behavioral or academic, got to pay the rental fee for the robes, got to pay the photographer fees, got to pay for all the other costs, got to walk the stage... but it was all for appearances' sake. You didn't get your diploma until 2 weeks later after the principal returned to the building after HIS vacation!

You can imagine how infuriated all those entitled parents were when they met up with their little snowflakes, only to have their kid hold out a beige blank piece of paper, instead of an actual diploma that they could now use in university applications or internships... turns out that hooting and hollering in public like a gibbon, at a occasion that demands decorum, impacts the ability to get a job or apply for higher education....
Why would picking up a diploma two weeks later hinder someone's application to higher ed? Applications are generally due months earlier anyway, and the diploma was awarded regardless of what piece of paper was in the folder. So nothing was impacted.

Our school has signs up that say that if you MUST leave, you have to do it in between selections, and students are NOT released until after the full concert is over.

Our high school concerts rotated who went first second third- so one time it was chorus, band, orchestra and the next time it could be band, orchestra, chorus. there was a break in between each group to set up how they needed it and it was the perfect time to make an escape if your kid was up first. The kids are free to go after their portion is done thank god! if my daughter was in the 3rd group playing I would just show up an hour after they started and then go into the auditorium during the break. I didn't even mind listening to the band so much but the orchestra I really hated and would do anything to not sit through! If your kids are the 3rd or 4th group going up then they ask them to show up an hour late too so they don't have to sit around all that time waiting to go on.

All every kid got at ours was a fake diploma- you had to go to the school a few weeks later and get the real one. We picked ours up in August as there was really no need for it at all anyway.

Why would picking up a diploma two weeks later hinder someone's application to higher ed? Applications are generally due months earlier anyway, and the diploma was awarded regardless of what piece of paper was in the folder. So nothing was impacted.
Well, I know that. I applied for universities, scholarships, etc. too :)

But BOY given the reaction of these parents to finding out that they had to pick up the diploma later ... you would have thought Little Jonny was RUINED for Harvard.... LOL

That's okay. I had my own personal family issues during graduation, the least of which was worrying about whether my family would cheer or not... :(

Emotional feels for everybody!

Yes, for anything where applications are due months in advance of graduation, a transcript would probably have been requested and sent at that time.

And, yes, I think most schools actually hand out 'empty' or 'blank' documents at the actual 'walk'.
But, I still think that there is no valid or appropriate reason to hold or delay these things for more than a matter of days.

I was wondering the same thing. I graduated HS in 1983 and I still haven't picked mine up. LOL

I was wondering the same thing. I graduated HS in 1983 and I still haven't picked mine up. LOL
Depends what you are doing.

My son didn't need one when he applied for college, and that was good. He didn't have one, I home schooled him and never made one.

But when my husband applied for his master's program they actually asked for it and his BS diploma. Talk about digging into the boxes in a basement.

Depends what you are doing.

My son didn't need one when he applied for college, and that was good. He didn't have one, I home schooled him and never made one.

But when my husband applied for his master's program they actually asked for it and his BS diploma. Talk about digging into the boxes in a basement.
The post I was referring to said that picking it up 2 weeks after graduation would impact college or a job. I don't see how 2 weeks would make a difference.

"Records," as in what? Little Johnnie was a bad boy in the 3rd grade? Yes, that should disappear, right when he walks into 4th grade but certainly by the time he graduates. Same with being a bully. Being a bully in high school does not transfer to being a bully in college, or even in life. Little pond vs big pond. Sure some people never change. But most people do. To say nothing about these kids being minors. Heck even law enforcement seals records of minors.

Do you really believe that someone isn't going to get into college because his grandfather whistled at graduation? Or because Aunt Martha held up a sign? Other than being an (well I can't say it here), what has the principal accomplished by holding the diploma hostage for 2 weeks? Control, that is all. Which makes me wonder about him, not the graduates that have to wait.

Law enforcement doesn't seal all minor records, or they can be easily unsealed, at least, by request. By records, I mean what is in the file in the high school file cabinet. Some schools don't carry elementary/middle into high school - they give those records to parents once high school has started. Bullying - well, that starts with the atmosphere at home, so no, I don't think it goes away, unless the home situation changes. I do believe it transfers from high school into life, except for the few who may have an epiphany (or a swift kick in the butt by society).

I didn't quote or comment about whatever you are talking about in your second paragraph though, huh???

Law enforcement doesn't seal all minor records, or they can be easily unsealed, at least, by request. By records, I mean what is in the file in the high school file cabinet. Some schools don't carry elementary/middle into high school - they give those records to parents once high school has started. Bullying - well, that starts with the atmosphere at home, so no, I don't think it goes away, unless the home situation changes. I do believe it transfers from high school into life, except for the few who may have an epiphany (or a swift kick in the butt by society).

I didn't quote or comment about whatever you are talking about in your second paragraph though, huh???
My statement was made in response to someone saying that the principal keeps track of the behavior of the crowd at graduation. If your crowd misbehaves, the principal will hold the diploma. Which means that if Uncle John goofs off, kiddo is in trouble. Seems like, as I said, the principal has a God complex.

On another note, I've met a number of "bullies" that once they grew up, were successful members of society. Different things helped them. An understanding teacher that realized one had an educational disability. One that simply needed an outlet for his emotions. Another that simply grew out of it. None if them needed the mess that they left behind them in school to follow them through life. Of course, not one of them had a problem in the home.

Life isn't so black and white. We are all so many shades of gray. People regularly grow and change. We should embrace that, not pigeonhole people into their space when they are children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter