• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

these numbers are with the test centers closed as of yesterday,correct?
I think the test centers are open until today at 5:00. But as @Christine said, I think numbers will still trickle in for the next few days from tests completed before the testing centers were closed. We probably won't see the true impact of that for another week maybe?

I think the test centers are open until today at 5:00. But as @Christine said, I think numbers will still trickle in for the next few days from tests completed before the testing centers were closed. We probably won't see the true impact of that for another week maybe?

Due to the storm moving to the east the testing centers on my side of the state may remain open. My county is going to make a decision by 5 today.

think about this.... in the flurry of numbers that I see posted everywhere.... and how people choose to interpret said numbers- what I see missing is a lack of true understanding about what's happening.....see the numbers quoted above for example.(which I agree with FWIW)
My basic example is always an average flu season,which runs about Jan-March. We get an average of 4000 deaths per week in high season...that = 48k-59k deaths., (HIGH SEASON) Nationwide. so what we're looking at (straight up,no playing with stats or numbers) is an uncontrolled situation - we have just hit 150k deaths in 6 months...of our OFF SEASON. (not even counting all the horrible cases and lingering illness with this)
No matter how you slice it,or choose to think about it (# of tests,where it's most prevalent)
WE are in trouble here. When our true 'flu season' hits,and alllll the other illnesses start their usual climb,then what are we going to do?
Covid is going to be at LEAST #3 when all is said and done this year. SO yeah, preventing as much as possible by staying away? good plan.

Oh, it's completely out of control here. Deaths are going up from here....for awhile, it's just very sad.

What is interesting about influenza season, is that in the Southern Hemisphere, which is in "flu season" right now...the flu is not as prevalent. What surprised me, was that even in Brazil, where COVID is raging, the cases of influenza are down. So, not sure what to make of Brazil in particular. In other countries, I would imagine that the cases of influenza is down because people are wearing masks and practicing physical distancing. But who knows....all bets are off at this point.

Here's the article...

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/07/24/coronavirus-restrictions

Oh, it's completely out of control here. Deaths are going up from here....for awhile, it's just very sad.

What is interesting about influenza season, is that in the Southern Hemisphere, which is in "flu season" right now...the flu is not as prevalent. What surprised me, was that even in Brazil, where COVID is raging, the cases of influenza are down. So, not sure what to make of Brazil in particular. In other countries, I would imagine that the cases of influenza is down because people are wearing masks and practicing physical distancing. But who knows....all bets are off at this point.

Here's the article...

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/07/24/coronavirus-restrictions

I wonder if testing for influenza was down? If people present with COVID symptoms it seems they get tested for that. It comes up negative and people are sent home and not tested for flu?

I wonder if testing for influenza was down? If people present with COVID symptoms it seems they get tested for that. It comes up negative and people are sent home and not tested for flu?
They wouldn’t test for flu here now. I don’t know anyone with first hand knowledge from the Southern Hemisphere. But I’m sure they would rule out flu, probably before covid since flu tests are rapid result.

I guess it depends where you get tested. My son had symptoms of COVID and went to an urgent care (rather than one of the state-run testing facilities). Protocol there was to first test for influenza and strep. If those were negative, you graduated to the COVID test. I would imagine, though, if you go to the drive up sites, you don't get any other test.

I guess it depends where you get tested. My son had symptoms of COVID and went to an urgent care (rather than one of the state-run testing facilities). Protocol there was to first test for influenza and strep. If those were negative, you graduated to the COVID test. I would imagine, though, if you go to the drive up sites, you don't get any other test.
My daughter had a fever and chills a few weeks ago, and they didn't even have her come in. The tele-doc sent her straight to drive through test site. It came back negative and she was fine within 48 hours. Seems to be what is happening around here. Many walk in clinics just opened up back last week in my area after being shut down since March.

I know they are not testing for influenza much here right now. The article was talking about Southern Hemisphere where it is flu season. I was just wondering if maybe they were telling people to get tested for COVID, or if people were only getting tested for that on their own, and not testing for influenza if the COVID was negative. Like maybe numbers were lower as it was overlooked unless it became a serious case....

My daughter had a fever and chills a few weeks ago, and they didn't even have her come in. The tele-doc sent her straight to drive through test site. It came back negative and she was fine within 48 hours. Seems to be what is happening around here. Many walk in clinics just opened up back last week in my area after being shut down since March.

I know they are not testing for influenza much here right now. The article was talking about Southern Hemisphere where it is flu season. I was just wondering if maybe they were telling people to get tested for COVID, or if people were only getting tested for that on their own, and not testing for influenza if the COVID was negative. Like maybe numbers were lower as it was overlooked unless it became a serious case....

Right, I don't think they'd test for the flu here just yet. It's early. I guess we'll know in the late fall how we're doing in our new COVID/FLU world here.

You could be right. They might not want people with covid in their offices so they may want to rule that out.

That is
And how,exactly is this possibly true? Unless said gathering (indoors,large I'm assuming,no masks) you personally know each and every person,and everyone in attendance was thereafter tested (I'd say at least 2-3x in the next couple of weeks to verify) that they weren't an asymptomatic carrier..... and this would ALSO require you to keep careful track of where each partygoer went in the two weeks following,and who they had actual contact with. To check for rates of illness. (think grocery store, home depot,the bank etc)
See, this is where the (most obvious) flaw comes in. Unless you and your pals at the party were constantly testing and retesting to verify transmission or not, then you really DON'T KNOW.
So let's pretend for a minute that you had your party, and 'no one got sick' after. However,b/c you CAN'T do contact tracing for the next two weeks, just ONE (let's say ONLY ONE) of your pals actually has Covid, but is either ignoring some symptoms,or asymptomatic. Then said pal goes about life as usual, not worried about transmission, when in reality he has already exposed your entire party,who may or may not get violently ill,or die. then alllll your guests go about their lives,maskless (bc there's no real danger) and infect others along the way...so maybe 5-10 people die as a direct result. (maybe,who really knows?) Whom you know nothing about.
I realize based on some pp's,that you're here to stir things up. mission accomplished.
I’m not here to stir things up. Your hypothetical is not realistic because you have to have the least virulent for of COVID mutate to a very virulent strain to have a death rate as in your hypothetical. The arguing of what ifs are not productive as possible and probable are miles apart.
My main issue is we have scared everyone to the point of not making rational decisions. Many believe this virus has a 9% death rate. There are people referring to others on here as covidiots because they have a differing view.
Im just trying to have civil discourse.
Have a great life.

Same, I'm always open for a differing opinion.

I understand your point that as a society we are giving up an awful lot in isolating and wearing masks. And yes, the aim was never to have "zero infection" as you say. We were all told to stay home to "slow the spread" and keep our hospitals from being overrun. And that's where we went off the rails. A portion of the country and their leaders were committed to that. Other parts of the country opened up too soon, and were loudly cheered on by the administration for doing so. This is where we really blew it. You can't have an administration that is supposedly leading the fight against the virus simultaneously cheering on another section of the population to open up and get back to work, while a whole lot of us were still in our defensive crouch. For millions of us, that was a true, what in the actual ____ is happening?!?

The administration was over it and onto "V shaped" recoveries that have already turned into a "W" because we're heading back down again. The focus was off the public health fight. And in those weeks, we bifurcated even further as a nation. Into masks vs. no masks. Into our state is doing this, and that state is doing that. Into hydroxycloroquine works, vs.....no it doesn't. Dr Fauci vs the administration. Into "Schools must open!!" vs "Schools can't open!!" On and on and on.

To me, it's just crystal clear that we wouldn't be where we are if we'd just fought the virus from the jump. And at a minimum, we needed great messaging and public education. We didn't get that. We're still getting one message from the public health experts and another from the administration. Personally, I find the situation we're in...well, awful. We can only visit our elderly parents in very short stints outside as two of them are very compromised. We had to cancel a bucket list trip in May for which we've only been able to get our airfare refunded. Not having any idea when we can even plan for travel is really awful. My business has been positively crushed by this, with no real rebound on the horizon. The most devastating thing though, for me, by far, has been our lack of a robust and cohesive national response. I've lost an incredible amount of confidence in the ability of our nation to keep us safe. And that last one isn't going to be recovered anytime soon.
As you are probably aware I politically am a polar opposite to you. But I am sorry for the losses you have suffered, and I hope you can recoup your losses. Debating politics on a message board is counterproductive which is something I think we can agree on.
I too have elderly parents, I try to spend as much time with them as I can, as they are at the age where life expectancy is expressed in months.

Last edited:
As you are probably aware I politically am a polar opposite to you. But I am sorry for the losses you have suffered, and I hope you can recoup your losses. Debating politics on a message board is counterproductive which is something I think we can agree on.
I to have elderly parents, I try to spend as much time with them as I can, as they are at the age where life expectancy is expressed in months.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I hope you get to spend time with your parents while they are still here.

I don't know what they do in my area, specifically either. My son went to the Outer Banks, NC, in early June. While there, he got sick and freaked out! That's how he ended up in an urgent care and that was their protocol for testing in the Outer Banks. I don't think they had any state testing sites at that time. Probably has all changed since June!

That is

I’m not here to stir things up. Your hypothetical is not realistic because you have to have the least virulent for of COVID mutate to a very virulent strain to have a death rate as in your hypothetical. The arguing of what ifs are not productive as possible and probable are miles apart.
My main issue is we have scared everyone to the point of not making rational decisions. Many believe this virus has a 9% death rate. There are people referring to others on here as covidiots because they have a differing view.
Im just trying to have civil discourse.
Have a great life.
What-ifs are basically all we have at this moment. No one knows what virulent vs non virelent even is at this point! No one knows why one person dies and another doesn't. And we FOR SURE don't know that the virus has to mutate in any way to cause death in one person,and very light (or no) symptoms in another. I WISH we knew- it would be simpler if we knew. So the what-ifs of masks ,gatherings,etc..... that's all we've got to go on to protect our communities right now. I choose to err on the side of caution,with a view to protecting others. Rationally choosing this path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter