Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not planning to either. How do you measure the success of a vaccine against a disease with a 96% survival rate? the M and P vaccines are 94/96% effective and J&J is 72%.

Well the survival rate of those that took each of the three vaccines in trials was 100%.

What exactly does 95% effectiveness mean.

It DOES NOT mean you have a 5% risk of getting it.

What percent effectiveness means is when the vaccine group is compared to the control group, the vaccine group showed 95% reduced incidence of getting it vs a control group. IE it reduced whatever risk there was by 95%.

Using hypothetical numbers, it may mean the control group got it 100% and the vaccine 5%. Or, using numbers at the other end of the spectrum, it may mean 0.74% of the control group got it and 0.04% of the vaccine group got it. It is important to note however, that even those little teeny tiny numbers I made up and gave at the low end of the spectrum would translate to a difference of millions of Americans getting it. And a non trivial amount of deaths saved also. And though death is the worst outcome, it's not the only terrible one. So as soon as you pop up as eligible, go get ya some vaccine.

So why can't we compare the two shot Moderna to the one shot J and J using effectiveness rates? The populations sampled were different. To compare, we have to sample the exact same population.

I received my first vaccine yesterday (Moderna). My arm was very sore and seemed to get worse as the day went on. I also didn't feel great - no fever but felt a bit achy and chilled. My arm is still a little sore but much better than last night and I am not achy or feeling chilled today.

No, not planning to either. How do you measure the success of a vaccine against a disease with a 96% survival rate? the M and P vaccines are 94/96% effective and J&J is 72%.
how do you measure it? Through clinical trails that show the vaccines help prevent serious illness. Which is what they have done.

My uncle had COVID a few months ago and was in the hospital for a few weeks. The other day, a nurse came to his home to show my aunt how to administer the IV medication he will need to have 3x per day for an hour each time due to the lung infection the COVID caused. I think he would have preferred the vaccine.

Having avoided this thread since December, I am now here to report I'm vaxxed to the max :thumbsup2 Got my second shot a couple of hours ago and am doing great. If I have to deal some side effects over the next few days that's no biggie for me. I'll still be masking/distancing/washing hands, but I'm going to worry about getting sick a lot less. :)

Having avoided this thread since December, I am now here to report I'm vaxxed to the max :thumbsup2 Got my second shot a couple of hours ago and am doing great. If I have to deal some side effects over the next few days that's no biggie for me. I'll still be masking/distancing/washing hands, but I'm going to worry about getting sick a lot less. :)

OK, we need a Vax to the Max button. Now, that would be cool. Good luck to you Ron as you go into tomorrow. :hug:

And if and when I get the Vaccine, I would wear that proudly, Dan. :)

And I do mean this from the bottom of my heart and 20 some percent lungs......I appreciated what you are all going through with these vaccinations. My brothers told me yesterday; they're doing it for me. Meant the world to me. :love: (My youngest brother hadn't been in my house in almost a year and he lives three doors down.)

Had my 2nd Moderna shot yesterday (Michigan). Had muscle pain in the arm that I received the vaccination. Worse than the first one but still didn't take anything for it. Nothing else over 24 hours later. Mom and dad, both in their 80's, had their second Moderna shot just over a week ago. Mom had slight headache and nausea the next morning. Dad had a sore arm. They are opening it up for 50+ with underlying conditions next Monday in Michigan and for all over 50's on the 22nd oF March. DH will be able to get his then. :)

I'm currently 27 hours post shot #1 with Moderna. I had some temperature issues during my four hour drive home yesterday, how much of that was the shot, how much was my blood sugar acting up and how much of it was the sun shining into the truck for that long I don't know. Other than that I've had a sore arm, I woke myself up a couple times last night when I rolled onto that side while asleep. Woke up this morning with a sore shoulder, like a flu shot but twice as bad, and a sore back that probably came from having to sleep on one side all night and being in the car all day yesterday.

The potential long-hauler symptoms are what concern me most about Covid.

Our family has had enough long standing symptoms with autoimmune issues. I certainly didn't want to add to those or stir those up.

I've finally gotten to a place with my autoimmune disease that's well managed and don't want to screw it up.
This is a big one for me now as DD (age 17) is being tested for an autoimmune disease right now.

DH & I are nearly 4 hours post first vaccine, Pfizer. So far so good. Told NOT to take NSAIDS, only Tylenol. Also told that the vaccine may not be 100%, but to be very thankful as it may mean the difference between very sick/hospital/organ damage & being sick a few days at home. Therefore, since not 100% to still mask, wash hands and distance. She was a super energized person who greeted each person with such enthusiasm and said that so many people come in thrilled to be getting the vaccine. It was well run. I asked about dominate vs. non dominate arrm, told it made no difference but if you need to use your dominate arm for work, it may be more comfortable to go with non dominate.

This is a big one for me now as DD (age 17) is being tested for an autoimmune disease right now.

I hope you get answers and help soon. Our daughter was diagnosed at age 17 in the spring with an autoimmune disease. Seems that the late teens are a common time for things to creep up.

I hope all goes well for you both! I know what a mess I was until hers was under control with medication. She's now 19 and doing very well.

Over 24 hours since dh and I got the Pfizer first dose.

Only sore arms at the injection site for us. He got it in his dominant arm, me non-dominant.

We've both tried to move more than usual.

Still a little surreal today to think we have been vaccinated for something we were just starting to endure this time last year.
What a year it has been!

I had my first Pfizer dose about a week ago. Sore arm and a scratchy throat the day after. I was pretty tired, too. I'm scheduled for my second dose on 3/19.

Really lucked out getting the appointment here in the Lehigh Valley, PA. Happened to see a FB post from a local health bureau. They were only vaccinating locals (within 3 counties I believe). Whole process from lining up to leaving took less than an hour. They later said they vaccinated over 2200 residents that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter