Help planning Baltimore Trip

DisMommyTX

DIS Veteran
Before heading to Disney for spring break in March, I am taking DD 17 to visit colleges in Baltimore. I have never been to Baltimore (other than BWI) and would love some help with remedial trip planning. We are planning to fly in to BWI 11pm on Thurs night. Spend Friday touring Goucher and Towson. Saturday visit UMBC and maybe Univ Baltimore (mostly to convince her she doesn't want to go to school in the middle of downtown), then depart for MCO 8pm Sat evening. Any extra time after looking at colleges we'll like to explore Baltimore and take in some of the tourist traps.

1) Where should we stay? Inner Harbor, downtown, Towson, near the airport?

2) Any suggestions for touristy stuff to see and do to get a feel for the area? She is a history buff, so I assume the fort and art museum would likely top her list. We are also considering half day private tour, maybe with a drop off at the airport since we will likely have a suitcase with us unless we return to the hotel before heading to the airport Sat night.

3) One of the reasons DD finds the Baltimore area appealing is the public transit, so we'd like to take advantage of it as much as possible; avoid renting a car, then use Lyft/Uber as needed for convenience. It looks like there is a free loop shuttle around Towson and I assume trains to get between the airport, downtown, Towson, etc. Any suggestions for routes to use or avoid are greatly appreciated. We value convenience over cost but still want DD to get a feel for the public transit options.

I'm open to tips for any or all of the above as well as other suggestions for sites to research it on my own. Feel free to plan the whole trip for me :hyper2:

Off the top of my head, go to the Walters Art museum, National Aquarium, B&O Railroad Museum, Fort McHenry, Maryland Zoo, historic ships in Baltimore (USS Constellation, etc.). Little Italy was always a great place to go out for dinner. Too bad you won't be able to catch an O's game.

The Inner Harbor shopping complex has seen better days. A lot of stuff is closed, but there are still nice hotels there.

UBalt is more of an "adult going back to school" / professional school. They have limited programs and no on-campus living or anything like that. The average student age is something like late 20s/30.
University of MD, Baltimore is also a pretty specialized campus/professional school with limited BA/BS options (if you meant that one).

I would not consider Baltimore to be big on public transportation at all. We are pretty far behind other major cities when it comes to public transportation. We have a light rail which only runs to limited parts of the city/county. Assume that you'll most likely be driving everywhere you need to go. There isn't really a great central point between the airport, the inner harbor, Towson, and Catonsville so you might as well make the Inner Harbor area your base if that's where you'll be touring on your off hours. All major routes are easily accessible from there.

Several places mentioned above, we also like the American Visionary Art Museum, the Edgar Allen Poe House, the Poe grave, checking out Fells Point. Spirit of Baltimore does harbor cruises, but haven't been on it in years and years so I don't know if that's still good or what. I would not consider Baltimore a great place for public transport personally, but maybe something's changed recently. But growing up in the area we drove everywhere so I don't know much about that.

I graduated from UMBC myself.

Fort McHenry is worth going to just for the video in the Visitor's Center. I cried!

I would stay in the Inner Harbor since most things are accessible from there via the Water Taxi, and the Inner Harbor is a nice area.

DBF went to Towson, back when it was Towson State. :)

Off the top of my head, go to the Walters Art museum, National Aquarium, B&O Railroad Museum, Fort McHenry, Maryland Zoo, historic ships in Baltimore (USS Constellation, etc.). Little Italy was always a great place to go out for dinner. Too bad you won't be able to catch an O's game.

The Inner Harbor shopping complex has seen better days. A lot of stuff is closed, but there are still nice hotels there.
This is a pretty good list.
My opinion for what it's worth is Baltimore is a dumpster fire now as far as crime. We used to enjoy the inner harbor but as said above, the shine has worn off. My daughter and her BF went to an Orioles game last June and didn't get mugged so that's a plus.
I always say best view of MD was in my rear view mirror.

Last edited:

My opinion for what it's worth is Baltimore is a dumpster fire now as far as crime. We used to enjoy the inner harbor but as said above, the shine has worn off. My daughter and her BF went to an Oriles game last June and didn't get mugged so that's a plus.
You're breaking my heart.... But I'm not actually from B'more. I'm from PG, mugging is like the county pasttime..... Anyway, I love it here, but I do plan to retire to FL in about 12 years..... um... Go Nats!

You're breaking my heart.... But I'm not actually from B'more. I'm from PG, mugging is like the county pasttime..... Anyway, I love it here, but I do plan to retire to FL in about 12 years..... um... Go Nats!
I was born and raised in PG County. I was a Police Officer in Bladensburg for 10 years. Went to a Sheriff's Dept in Southern MD where I retired. Last place I lived before moving to Florida was Eldersburg (Sykesville). I'm very familiar with the PG County pastime you mention. Escape while you can! 🤣

I live in the Fells Point neighborhood and there are plenty of bars, restaurants, and funky shops on South Broadway. It's probably best to stay in the Inner Harbor area, but like mentioned above, much of the luster of the tourist venues has worn off.

Besides what has already been mentioned, I recommend going to the top of Federal Hill Park for a great view of downtown. It's on the south edge of the Inner Harbor.

My personal "Must See" is the mural of Bawlmurr icon Divine on the side of a house at 106 E. Preston Street a bit north of downtown.

I was born and raised in PG County. I was a Police Officer in Bladensburg for 10 years. Went to a Sheriff's Dept in Southern MD where I retired. Last place I lived before moving to Florida was Eldersburg (Sykesville). I'm very familiar with the PG County pastime you mention. Escape while you can! 🤣
Neato. I grew up in Cheverly. But I keep slowly migrating north and west. First Riverdale (East Pines - get your lovin' at the Pizza Oven!). Now Beltsville (it's almost nice here, almost). One day I might get all bourgeois and move to the promised land (Burtonsville). Anyways, I still visit Bladensburg when the weather is nice (Three Bros. and a bike ride at the waterfront park - they built a really nice massive hiker/biker trail along the river about 4 years ago).

If you want city access and a Maryland school, I'd suggest looking at the University of Maryland College Park. It's the flagship Maryland state school. Great school. Beautiful campus. Vibrant community. Fantastic public transportation options for Washington, DC.

I'm a Maryland College Park grad. I think the campus is pretty decent looking, but it sometimes appears on lists of "America's Ugliest Campuses."

My wife went to Townson. Son followed in my footsteps at College Park. Daughter UMBC.

I'm a Maryland College Park grad. I think the campus is pretty decent looking, but it sometimes appears on lists of "America's Ugliest Campuses."

My wife went to Townson. Son followed in my footsteps at College Park. Daughter UMBC.
You speak evil.

Whoever calls this campus ugly can take one of our beautiful Calvert red bricks and find a nice warm home for it in his 4th point of contact.

Georgian Revival Forever!

McKeldin_Library%2C_front_view%2C_mid-afternoon_light%2C_August_21%2C_2006.jpg

Edit: Oh yeah, OG SPRET!

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions! On paper the flagship campus seems a bit too rigorous for her, though test optional has resulted in some pretty skewed numbers recently. She is looking for diversity, support, and study abroad moreso than the most challenging academics. I will keep looking for hotels in the inner harbor area. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Whatttt? You guys are from PG?! I grew up in Upper Marlboro and my grandparents were in Temple Hills. What a small world. We probably ran into each other sometime at a drive-by or mall shooting or something.

PG County girl here. Fled quickly and live in NoVA now. Wonder if we were around during the same time period!! I have the same view of Baltimore as you do. Used to love going there, though, when it was a vibrant "food' city and Inner Harbor was new and bustling!

Whatttt? You guys are from PG?! I grew up in Upper Marlboro and my grandparents were in Temple Hills. What a small world. We probably ran into each other sometime at a drive-by or mall shooting or something.

I grew up in Clinton and had several friends in the Upper Marlboro area. My dad was Assistant Sheriff in the Sheriff's Dept (Upper Marlboro) in the 70s.

I grew up in Clinton and had several friends in the Upper Marlboro area. My dad was Assistant Sheriff in the Sheriff's Dept (Upper Marlboro) in the 70s.
Wow, with that info there is a very high chance our families crossed paths. Did you go to Surrattsville?

My opinion for what it's worth is Baltimore is a dumpster fire now as far as crime. We used to enjoy the inner harbor but as said above, the shine has worn off. My daughter and her BF went to an Orioles game last June and didn't get mugged so that's a plus.

I'm also from Maryland, although not in Baltimore or P(istol) G(rip) County. Stratman isn't to far off the truth. As a Marylander I avoid Baltimore.
Do yourself a favor and stay off of public transport.

Has your daughter considered Washington College, or St. Mary's or St. Johns?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter