Historical Race Weekend Sell Out Timing

Not to be all conspiracy theorist, but (I'm totally going to)...

When comparing today's sell out times to past marathon weekends, I'm wondering if RunDisney is holding back the number sold initially today to drive more people into club RunDisney.

There's a very slight possibility that's the case, but it's pretty close to zero in my view. RunDisney very likely opened all the spots they had available and they sold out very quickly. If they held back spots, then presumably a significant number should come available at some point and I find that to be doubtful unfortunately. I relayed this about a week ago, but several of the non-runDisney people my wife follows were a buzz about the MW 90s retro theme when it was released. I think the combination of the 50th WDW anniversary, 30th Marathon anniversary, 10th Dopey anniversary, the 90s retro theming, and what feels like the first MW post-COVID (fingers crossed) hyped the demand way way up. I mean the site was down for nearly 90 min pre-delayed registration. So clearly they had an influx of interest way above what they expected.

I think even if they didn't hold back any spots, the demand for exclusive runDisney registration with a club membership likely just went way up. So I suspect they met their end goal even if no conspiracy occurred.

There's a very slight possibility that's the case, but it's pretty close to zero in my view. RunDisney very likely opened all the spots they had available and they sold out very quickly. If they held back spots, then presumably a significant number should come available at some point and I find that to be doubtful unfortunately. I relayed this about a week ago, but several of the non-runDisney people my wife follows were a buzz about the MW 90s retro theme when it was released. I think the combination of the 50th WDW anniversary, 30th Marathon anniversary, 10th Dopey anniversary, the 90s retro theming, and what feels like the first MW post-COVID (fingers crossed) hyped the demand way way up. I mean the site was down for nearly 90 min pre-delayed registration. So clearly they had an influx of interest way above what they expected.

I think even if they didn't hold back any spots, the demand for exclusive runDisney registration with a club membership likely just went way up. So I suspect they met their end goal even if no conspiracy occurred.
That's completely fair. I've done half marathons, but a never a full and always said I would never. But when I saw the 90s retro theming I was honestly debating it this year. Using the past data though, I did not expect it to sell out this week and definitely not in ~1hr.

The ONLY things you can not change after registration are EMAIL ADDRESS, NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, and then GENDER (in that order). Everything else can be edited after the confirmation of your purchase.
I've always taken the time to enter "real" info in all the fields, so this bit of info seems like a great way to save time!

Do any of the fields, like street address or city, have any type of validation? In other words, if you just enter the letter a for street address, will the page give an error when you click submit and say it's not a valid address?

Do any of the fields, like street address or city, have any type of validation? In other words, if you just enter the letter a for street address, will the page give an error when you click submit and say it's not a valid address?

Good question. I don't know the answer to this definitively. I can't say I can remember a time when someone commented that they accidentally inputted an invalid address and was booted back on that particular screen. So my gut instinct is no. But for me, I wouldn't attempt this type of maneuver because it could end up costing you more time than gained if there is some sort of validation. Ultimately, getting through the queue is where the most time will be saved or lost.

Good question. I don't the answer to this definitively. I can't say I can remember a time when someone commented that they accidentally inputted an invalid address and was booted back on that particular screen. So my gut instinct is no. But for me, I wouldn't attempt this type of maneuver because it could end up costing you more time than gained if there is some sort of validation. Ultimately, getting through the queue is where the most time will be saved or lost.
This is where letting your browser auto complete address fields comes in handy.

New racer here, so I see some of them say periodically reopen. Should I just keep checking daily to see if we could possibly get into a race?

New racer here, so I see some of them say periodically reopen. Should I just keep checking daily to see if we could possibly get into a race?
It couldn't hurt, also depends on what race weekend you're looking for. I'd imagine it's less likely that MW spots open up, since everything sold out quickly and there was high demand for charity spots.

The periodic reopenings are generally very very short (on the order of minutes). There is a new twitter bot that someone made that posts when a runDisney race briefly opens. So that's your absolute best bet on catching it. With that being said, you have to be ready at a moments notice. It's not like they open a wave of hundreds/thousands of bibs, but something far far less like one to three (complete number guess).

DisneyRace Availability

The periodic reopenings are generally very very short (on the order of minutes). There is a new twitter bot that someone made that posts when a runDisney race briefly opens. So that's your absolute best bet on catching it. With that being said, you have to be ready at a moments notice. It's not like they open a wave of hundreds/thousands of bibs, but something far far less like one to three (complete number guess).

DisneyRace Availability
Ahhh I was wondering about this, I know some people have mentioned the bot but wasn't sure what the name of the account was. Yeah I'd follow this and turn notifications on.

I followed the bot, but not hopeful. We have 3 adults to register so I'm not thinking my fingers could fly that fast especially having never done it before. Looking ahead to Springtime Surprise...and we will be traveling home from our DCL cruise the day that registration opens. Sigh.

Interesting side note, @Brian Noble had the 2023 Springtime 5k selling out at 10:31am eastern (with provided screenshot; link) and the twitter bot "DisneyRace Availability" didn't tweet it out until 10:35am eastern per the timestamp (link). Possible timing delay in the twitter bot (like it's about 5 min behind when something actually opens and closes)?

Just one data point: signed up for Light Side 2017 on September 14, three months after it opened. Not expecting that to happen again for a long time.

Just one data point: signed up for Light Side 2017 on September 14, three months after it opened. Not expecting that to happen again for a long time.

Yea, based on the 2017 thread no one mentioned that one selling out. A few of the Disneyland races “sold out” in that they stopped selling it but convo on the thread it seems like rD just pulled it once it got close enough to race day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter