Hollywood tower of terror

My favorite ride! My tall 4 year old rode it 4 times in a row once. It is Thrilling, but not scary IMO

I rode TOT when it first opened and has less restraints (I think it was a lap bar over the row?). After that, I swore I'd never ride it again.

In March DD15 convinced me to give it another try. I was terrified the whole time, but survived. I wouldn't chose to ride again, but if I was traveling with someone who never rode it before and wanted company, I'd suck it up and go.

So I'm not a fan, but it's not the worst experience ever either.

Agree that if you are afraid of drops, do not do this one.
As others noted, you are pulled down so you drop faster than falling. There are multiple drops randomly.
The queue is amazing and worth walking through if the line isn't too long. Just before getting in the elevator, is the chicken exit. My wife has used this several times, but still gets to enjoy the queue.

I also rode TOT when it first opened, but actually did ok on it and would have gone again, but just didn't go back to DHS for 27 years! I went on it last year and I don't know if it's because I'm older now or what (I'm still fine on other rides I had been on when I was younger) but this was a nightmare, it was absolutely terrifying to me (I get that it's the point, it's in the name, etc.) but I would never ride it again. The drops were just way too much and I was absolutely miserable. FWIW my spouse said that closing his eyes helped him, and I did not (consciously) try that.

That being said, the theming really is amazing, I would go through the queue again if other family members wanted to ride and just leave in a chicken exit regular elevator instead of going on the dropping one!

Will preface by saying I cannot get DW to ride this ride, but...
ToT, especially the one at DHS is an absolute classic. IMHO, the best ride in all of Disney. Do yourself a favor and watch the D+ "Behind the Attraction" about this ride. The attention to detail cannot be beat. LSS - you should ride it.

This may sound crazy, but I used to be iffy on ToT with a death grip on the rails… someone told me try to give in and just let go without holding on… I ride it on repeat and love it now! But I agree with other posters that nothing is worth ruining your vacation… go with your gut!
Yes! It is so much more fun when not holding on! My husband encouraged me to try it that way and he was right.

I hate rides with that free fall feeling like the Cliffhanger at Six Flags. I only rode this with my daughter because she wanted to....and, it's awesome! I loved it! For me, it doesn't fall far enough to give you that fluttery stomach feeling for long.

Slight disagree here. I agree not to do it if it might ruin your trip or day, but I'm really not good with heights but love TOT.

For me, the dropping sensation is different than heights. Maybe I'm weird that way, but I love it.
I agree. I am terrified of heights, but it’s triggered by seeing the drop rather than feeling it. So an open six flags style roller coaster that goes up high real slow before you drop makes me cry and not good tears. And the one time my husband persuaded I’d have fun if I just let loose tried parasailing, it was my worst nightmare and I hated every second. But TOT does not affect me at all because you can’t see a thing before the first drop. I have no idea how high up I am when I ride it.

However, as OP’s fear is triggered by the sensation of free fall as opposed to just being high up, it sounds like a terrible ride for them.

I won't typically do free fall rides, but love ToT. I would never have gone on it, if it wasn't for peer pressure. Now it is a must do every time I go to HS. As others have said, I started with using the hand holders, but don't use them anymore.

I’m going to Hollywood studios but I’m a chicken for the tower of terror! Does it feel like a free fall? I am terrified of them or is it more of a bouncy feeling? Also what’s the biggest height that it drops from??
Update you guys I went on and I loved it, was clutching on to my boyfriend the whole time but I was laughing and the free fall feeling wasn’t bad at all. I absolutely loved it and will probably do it again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter