• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotel Sleeping arrangements (need suggestions)

Booking that far in advance?

A little bit late to the show, but I would have suggested Hyatt Place, which has locations from the Orlando area to Port Canaveral. All their rooms have two parts with a sofabed and a main room. A two double room plus the sofa bed would be enough, and they allow up to six per room. And I'm sure they could provide a rollaway bed too if a shared bed could be awkward.

A little bit late to the show, but I would have suggested Hyatt Place, which has locations from the Orlando area to Port Canaveral. All their rooms have two parts with a sofabed and a main room. A two double room plus the sofa bed would be enough, and they allow up to six per room. And I'm sure they could provide a rollaway bed too if a shared bed could be awkward.
Two people on a double bed is a little crowded. Two doubles + sofa bed is still just three beds.

Two people on a double bed is a little crowded. Two doubles + sofa bed is still just three beds.

I’ve stayed at a couple of Hyatt Place locations. A king plus two rollaway beds might be possible, but can’t be booked for six.

I like them because they have included breakfast.

Got breakfast included (an extra $10 per room) at the hotel restaurant. Yes, I'm booked far in advance, I can cancel up until 3 days (or was it 1?) before. Actually got a really good rate... $135/room ($150 w/tax). Kind of hard to beat.

That doesn’t really solve the problem though because there isn’t a way to divide these 6 people specifically between 3 beds. And I’ve found that most places that sleep 6 don’t allow for the rollaway, but MMV on that.

n. JJ cjm
That doesn’t really solve the problem though because there isn’t a way to divide these 6 people specifically between 3 beds. And I’ve found that most places that sleep 6 don’t allow for the rollaway, but MMV on that.

Again - it depends on the comfort level of who is willing to be in the same bed. Once I got a great rate on a hotel room when my mom and I needed a hotel to be close to my dad in the hospital. One night it was pretty much disastrous at a beat up hotel with a questionable clientele. She didn't want to go back even though it was the cheapest we could find.

But the rate I got was "manager's choice" where we only claimed two guests and they could give us any of several different room types. We ended up with a single king bed even though I asked if we could get two beds. I hadn't slept in the same bed with my mom since I was maybe 10, but it turned out OK since we could just pick our own side and there was plenty of space.

But there's always some way to make things work out. I've heard of people sleeping on the floor with available bedding.

Again - I like Hyatt Place because most of their hotels have a standard layout that's pretty big and exceptional for the price. But I guess there's still the comfort level and available space for a rollaway.

I agree with the two people on a double. I hadn't realized when I booked one hotel room in DC that it was two doubles and there were three of us. Sharing with sis was weird on the double, I felt like her elbow was going to hit me and vice versa. The queen in the first hotel room was fine, but doubles. UGH!!!

It's probably too late for the OP, but when I book for my family, I use sixsuitcasetravel.com . You put in your destination, and it gives you hotels in the area that accommodate families of 5-8. They typically give sleeping arrangements, i.e., "2 queen beds plus sleeper sofa". We're a family of 6, with one launched, so typically there's 5 of us. DH prefers a king bed. The website allowed me to pick appropriate rooms on our last vacation--some nights, it was "we're just crashing here", other nights we were staying for a couple of days.

It's probably too late for the OP, but when I book for my family, I use sixsuitcasetravel.com . You put in your destination, and it gives you hotels in the area that accommodate families of 5-8. They typically give sleeping arrangements, i.e., "2 queen beds plus sleeper sofa". We're a family of 6, with one launched, so typically there's 5 of us. DH prefers a king bed. The website allowed me to pick appropriate rooms on our last vacation--some nights, it was "we're just crashing here", other nights we were staying for a couple of days.
I guess the one issue would be that room types aren’t guaranteed. If a hotel runs out of a certain room type, how do they deal with it?

It's not appropriate. I don't care if their married, the pope or the Daili Lama. I also know there is no way I would have ever agreed to sleeping in the same room as my friend's parents at that age. It's weird and uncomfortable.

It's not appropriate. I don't care if their married, the pope or the Daili Lama. I also know there is no way I would have ever agreed to sleeping in the same room as my friend's parents at that age. It's weird and uncomfortable.

Really? I've gone group camping where some of the kids were left at the camp with adulto chaperones. I've also been to a few hostels that allow children. One time I had one room all to myself, but I only found the other guests were a woman and her daughter in their own room. However, had there been more guests, each room had about 8 beds and there was no way they would have guaranteed they would have a room all to themselves.

As an adult I've gone on a trip with female friends. This was well before I was married. We just had two full beds, where I got one and the two ladies were in another bed. There was nothing terribly interesting about the arrangement. We just did it to save money.

I don't see what the big deal would be.

Adults should not be in the same room as unrelated minors. Get two hotel rooms.
:confused: So if you are bringing one of your children's friends along, the kids must be alone in a hotel room or cruise cabin unsupervised? No, just no.

:confused: So if you are bringing one of your children's friends along, the kids must be alone in a hotel room or cruise cabin unsupervised? No, just no.

I believe the suggestion is that they can be there with just the kids in one room.

However, it seems at odds with a lot of things that I've seen over the years. I went backpacking where the group next to me at one spot were about 5 Boy Scouts and an adult group leader all in the same tent. When I was at a sleep away camp, our cabin had one junior counselor (about 16) and an adult counselor.

Everyone is there together and nobody is likely to be alone. I really don't see what the problem would be. The basic question is not about whether this is appropriate, but whether or not the adults are trusted.

I believe the suggestion is that they can be there with just the kids in one room.
...Everyone is there together and nobody is likely to be alone. I really don't see what the problem would be. The basic question is not about whether this is appropriate, but whether or not the adults are trusted.
Under what colour sky would you (or any sane parent) let your child go away on a trip with unrelated people that you didn't trust implicitly?

I guess the one issue would be that room types aren’t guaranteed. If a hotel runs out of a certain room type, how do they deal with it?

It's never, ever been an issue, and we've used that site for years (family of 6). I suppose if they didn't have the configuration we ordered and paid for, it would be on them to give is appropriate accommodations--we say that we have 6 people when we're booking (or 5, now that our oldest is launched).

Last month, we drove to New England, and used the site to book hotels in PA, CT, MA (2 different hotels), and VA--no problems at all. We happen to like rooms with a separate master (most have a separate bathroom) and a kitchenette, as well as free breakfast and an indoor pool, so that's what I look for, but the OP didn't mention those things.

Under what colour sky would you (or any sane parent) let your child go away on a trip with unrelated people that you didn't trust implicitly?
I think it just gets a little awkward for all when the girls are teens. I took my son and a friend to a pro basketball game out of town. They were in college. To save money I got one room. I wished I had gotten 2 because I felt weird walking around the friend in my pajamas. When they were younger I didn’t give it a thought.

I actually had stumbled on that site and used it to do some research. It did help.

Adults should not be in the same room as unrelated minors. Get two hotel rooms.
Wow. Can you give any reasoning? I took five boys (only one related to me) to a camp a couple of years ago that required spending the night before the camp in a hotel. Should we have gotten two rooms?

I sent my son with two teammates and an adult (parent of one of the teammates) to a different camp a month ago that required hotel stay. Two rooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter