How do FP's and DAS work/interact?

Mom2FiveKidz

Earning My Ears
I am planning a trip for this fall for my family, and a lot has changed since we last went! On our last trip, I had one kid with no disabilities, and FP was something you picked up at the entrance to the ride? Now, I've got 5 kids, at least one DAS, and it seems like FP has totally changed.

Can someone explain to me how each of them work, and how the two work together? Or does having a DAS prevent you from using FP? Or from needing FP?

We'll be splitting up at times, I'm sure, so I assume that there will be times when the parts of our group who aren't with the kid with the DAS will want to use FP even though they are listed on their sister's DAS.

The DAS works best when it is paired with FP+. You can book 3 FP+ before your trip. If you are staying onsite, you can book 60 days before check-in. If you are staying off-site, it's 30 days before check in. There's a great thread over on the Theme Parks board regarding fastpasses. I believe it's been made a sticky. Here's a link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/fastpass-frequently-asked-questions.3491680/

There's also a great thread on this board regarding the DAS. You really only need to read the first post. Here's a link to that: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

How they work great together is that you can go get a return time for a ride near the ride where you have a FP+, ride the ride you have the FP+ for, then go and ride the ride you got the DAS return time for. The return times with the DAS are 10 minutes less than the standby time. As an example, here's a situation my DD and I use often. We want to ride both Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. I pre-book a FP+ for Splash. We walk back to where the rides are, but before entering the FP+ line for Splash, I go over and get a return time for BTMRR. The standby wait for BTMRR is 30 minutes. Our return time is 20 minutes from then. We go ride Splash using our FP+, and by the time we are done, the 20 minutes has passed and we can go ride BTMRR with the return time. Or if the BTMRR standby wait was longer and our return time isn't ready yet by the time we are done with Splash, we can go grab a Mickey bar and enjoy that in a shaded spot while waiting for our return time. (And Mickey bars as a time filler might happen far more than I'm willing to admit. Those Mickey bars really hit the spot on a hot day.:earsboy:)

Other good tips for using the DAS: Get a return time for a ride before stopping to eat a meal. If you take a mid-day break, get a return time before leaving the park for a break. The return times are good until park closing that day so you aren't limited to an hour like FP+. So you can use your return time when you get back to the park after your break. This works well for my DD because taking a swim break at the resort helps her de-stress.

The DAS return times will only work for rides the person the DAS was issued to is riding. So if your DD decides not to ride a particular ride, you can't use a DAS return time for that ride. But if your party splits up, the members of your group that aren't staying with your DD can use FP+ to ride. Their being listed on the DAS doesn't preclude them from using their FP+.

Thanks! That's super helpful.

Are FP tickets linked to a certain person, or can we switch them up?

Also, one thing we're having trouble with is figuring out what DD can actually ride and will want to ride. She's a daredevil about movement, but can be scared by certain lighting and sounds. Also, she's got significant positioning needs. If we get a DAS, wait, go through the FP line, get to the front and realize that it's not going to work for her, does that mean her siblings are turned away? Or will they realize that it's a special circumstance? She's not going to be able to tell us whether she's comfortable on a ride, until she actually sees the ride and how you get in. She doesn't yet have the language to understand a description of the ride, and to offer an opinion, so it might well be that we get to the point of boarding of a ride and she changes her mind.

Thanks! That's super helpful.

Are FP tickets linked to a certain person, or can we switch them up?

Also, one thing we're having trouble with is figuring out what DD can actually ride and will want to ride. She's a daredevil about movement, but can be scared by certain lighting and sounds. Also, she's got significant positioning needs. If we get a DAS, wait, go through the FP line, get to the front and realize that it's not going to work for her, does that mean her siblings are turned away? Or will they realize that it's a special circumstance? She's not going to be able to tell us whether she's comfortable on a ride, until she actually sees the ride and how you get in. She doesn't yet have the language to understand a description of the ride, and to offer an opinion, so it might well be that we get to the point of boarding of a ride and she changes her mind.

When you book fastpasses, they are linked to a specific person. But you can always switch magic bands (or park tickets) for that specific ride.

If your DD gets to the front of the line and decides she doesn't want to, or can't, ride a ride, then yes, the entire group will be turned away. You can only use the DAS return time if the person the DAS is issued for is riding. If there are rides you aren't sure she will be able to do, it might be better to book those as FP+ and use the DAS for rides you are certain she can do.

She's not going to be able to tell us whether she's comfortable on a ride, until she actually sees the ride and how you get in. She doesn't yet have the language to understand a description of the ride, and to offer an opinion, so it might well be that we get to the point of boarding of a ride and she changes her mind.

It might be helpful for you to watch some youtube ride videos with her to get an idea of the rides and ride car configurations. She still might get to the boarding area and not want to go on but at least she (and you) will have an idea of what to expect.

Hmmm, that's going to be a problem. Predicting things like this is really hard for my daughter because there are so many factors, and because she doesn't really have the ability to participate in a conversation in advance. DD6, and DS5 are really good sports about accommodating her needs and the baby's needs, but it is a lot to ask a kid that age who gets to the front of the line and sees the ride to accept that they can't ride today, or maybe at all if we aren't coming back, seems unfair.

If I were to predict, I'd guess that DD8 will be 50/50 on what she'll ride so this could happen multiple times a day. That seems like a recipe for teaching them to resent their sister.

I wonder if I can justify asking for a DAS for DD6. If I was alone with her, I wouldn't ask because her disability is entirely physical, and they are really clear that that's not who it's for, but given that she'll be pushing herself, because I'm pushing her sister, crowded lines would be challenging for her. Would other people feel comfortable asking for a DAS for her?

I am really having trouble imagining how it would even go where the kids are boarding, and DD refuses as we start to get in. I then, with my arms full of crying child need to figure out how to get the other kids out of a moving ride at a place not really designed for exiting?

Would other people feel comfortable asking for a DAS for her?
Honestly, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether you feel comfortable requesting one. You have to explain the needs, not the medical condition.

Oh, and Maggie'sMom, that was a great explanation!!

I second the suggestion on you tube videos. Almost all rides have a complete walk/rides through somewhere, including the boarding. My kiddo was apprehensive for his first ride, and we had to sort of help him on, but after the first, he was a champ. The videos helped - they show the ride vehicles, the seating configurations, etc.

I am really having trouble imagining how it would even go where the kids are boarding, and DD refuses as we start to get in. I then, with my arms full of crying child need to figure out how to get the other kids out of a moving ride at a place not really designed for exiting?

The more I read about your situation, the more I feel that you will need more help in the park than what you are bringing with you. I know you said your older son and his friend will be with you some days and your nanny (with her 3 year old) will be with you other days. At a minimum, could you have all 3 (your son, his friend, and the nanny) with you every day? Because you are correct, the situation you described above would not only be difficult, but potentially dangerous.

Thanks! :flower3:

I am slightly panicking now, and wondering if we should cancel. I wonder if give a better picture of DD8's abilities if it would help people brainstorm solutions.

DD8 has severe quad CP, cortical vision impairment, and some degree of intellectual disability although it's really hard to know for sure with a child who doesn't move or talk, so we presume competence as much as possible. When she is calm, and perfectly positioned, and communicating with a familiar partner, she can use partner assisted scanning and a communication book to tell you concrete messages about the here and now. But that's really limited to messages like "I want my mom" or "I want to go home" or "I like this". She does not talk about things in the past or future, her communication is generally about the here and now. She would enjoy watching a video of a ride, and hearing the sounds and being included in a conversation about them, but she's not going to be able to visually process a youtube video, or my description of such, to the point where it she would be able to comment on whether or not it would be scary to her.

On top of that, even when we know she can access something, there are times when she refuses. For example, there's a park near us with an accessible swing that she loves. To get to it, you need to cross some mulch (as an aside, why do parks get the fancy accessible swing and then place it in a pit of mulch?). About 75% of the time we go, she's excited as soon as she figures out where she is, laughing the whole time she's on the swing, and annoyed if I make her get off to go home or give a sibling a turn. But sometimes, we go and it's really clear she doesn't want to swing which she communicates by frowning and stiffening slightly and averting her gaze. If you ignore her, she'll progress to crying pretty quickly.

Why? I don't exactly know. Maybe her stomach is a little too full from a recent feed, and she thinks she'll be motion sick? Maybe her g-tube site is a little sore, and she's worried about the place the seatbelt hits? Maybe her diaper's wet or she senses she's about to poop and she's embarrassed to be taken out of the chair in a public space? Maybe she's practicing for adolescence and saying no for the sake of saying no? I have no way of knowing, because she doesn't communicate these kinds of things. But, it's really important to me that she knows she has the right to say no, and that we'll respect her messages.

We've gone to a little local park with the family and the same teenage friend we're bringing on this trip, although not since the baby arrived. There is a train ride with seating similar to a bunch of Disney rides that we ride, and we've got boarding down pat. DS17's friend enters first, carrying DD6 (who has problems with her lower body, but is otherwise typical), then DS5 gets on with DS17, and I pass DD8 to her brother, and I board last. If she refuses, then she just stays in my arms, and we meet them at the place where you get off. So that was what I was picturing doing at Disney, albeit with the extra complication of the baby, assuming that people would be able to distinguish between "not planning on riding" and a severely disabled kid who suddenly became upset.

So, what solutions do people suggest? Unfortunately, we're almost certainly going to be staying off site, because I think that the combination of everything we need, at least 4 bedrooms, and 2 accessible bathrooms, plus a kitchen with a decent sized fridge, space for lots of equipment like wheelchairs, high chair, strollers, stander . . . is going to be cost prohibitive on top of 8 park tickets. So that means that solutions like using extra magic hours, or timing things by booking FP+, and character meals perfectly right at sixty days, aren't going to be an option.

I really don't want solutions that involve splitting up all the time. We'll do that some of the time, but being together as a family is kind of the point of vacation, IMO, so if we can't do that we'll just figure out another plan.

The more I read about your situation, the more I feel that you will need more help in the park than what you are bringing with you. I know you said your older son and his friend will be with you some days and your nanny (with her 3 year old) will be with you other days. At a minimum, could you have all 3 (your son, his friend, and the nanny) with you every day? Because you are correct, the situation you described above would not only be difficult, but potentially dangerous.

Thanks! :flower3:

My son loves his little siblings. He's an amazing big brother. His best friend is a really awesome kid. But traveling with us definitely cramps their style. I can't really imagine telling them that they can't ride the thrill rides, or do things at teenager speed, every single day. It just doesn't seem fair.

Similarly, my nanny is wonderful and I know she wants to make this work for my kid, but she deserves a few days in the park with her own child, and her child deserves a few days without having to share mommy.

I would guess that if DD6 in particular was already in a ride vehicle, no CM is going to force us to take her out while it's in motion, because it just wouldn't be safe. They'd either need to stop the ride, or let them go through. Frankly, by the time the CM's put together what was going on, my guess is that the other kids would be heading into a tunnel or something, because in my experience everyone's attention will be distracted by the suddenly crying child, not thinking about the other kids and how they got into the FP (right? FP and DAS share a line?) line in the first place, and whether they still "deserve" to be there.

I also kind of assume that at least 1/2 the CM's who see this aren't going to think of it as breaking rules and just tell us to go to the exit to meet the rest of them, but I'd rather avoid a situation where we're then asked to leave the park or have the DAS revoked, or get yelled at, or whatever the consequences would be if an unreasonable CM decided to be a stickler for the rules.

The other option, would of course be to have DD8 board first (likely her brother gets in and I hand her to him), which takes care of the safety issue, but leaves me with greatly disappointed siblings.

I'm not really thinking about days with the nanny, because I'm not convinced we'll ride anything on those days. I'm assuming that if she refuses to smile at Mickey, or gets upset and I take her out of a show, the others can stay for that right?

We've gone to a little local park with the family and the same teenage friend we're bringing on this trip, although not since the baby arrived. There is a train ride with seating similar to a bunch of Disney rides that we ride, and we've got boarding down pat. DS17's friend enters first, carrying DD6 (who has problems with her lower body, but is otherwise typical), then DS5 gets on with DS17, and I pass DD8 to her brother, and I board last. If she refuses, then she just stays in my arms, and we meet them at the place where you get off. So that was what I was picturing doing at Disney, albeit with the extra complication of the baby, assuming that people would be able to distinguish between "not planning on riding" and a severely disabled kid who suddenly became upset.

The situation you described above could work at Disney if all the players were the same, but as you mention, you've added a baby to the mix. And your son and his friend will only be in the parks on some days. The other days, you will only have the nanny, and she will have her 3 year old along. So the boarding situation gets more difficult.

Is it possible some CMs would allow the remainder of your party to ride if your DD8 gets upset at boarding and won't ride? Yes, it's possible they may let you stay behind with your DD and let everyone else go ahead, especially if everyone else is boarded. But the terms you agree to with the DAS are clear that you can't use the DAS return times if the child it is issued to doesn't ride. The CMs could make you all exit in that situation. You can't count on being allowed to ride so you have to be prepared for that possiblility.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether you feel comfortable requesting one. You have to explain the needs, not the medical condition.

I would probably say "This is Mary, this is Jane, both girls can become overwhelmed and upset when crowds surround their wheelchair, so we need 2 DAS's, would that be enough? We also need a stroller as wheelchair pass for Mary (whose chair is stroller style, and sometimes mistaken for a stroller), but not for Jane (whose chair looks like an adult wheelchair, just tiny)." Do you think that would work?

It wouldn't be a lie, and I'd be comfortable with "Jane" hearing it, but it would leave off the fact that Jane's discomfort could be avoided if someone was available to push her.

I wonder if I can justify asking for a DAS for DD6. If I was alone with her, I wouldn't ask because her disability is entirely physical, and they are really clear that that's not who it's for, but given that she'll be pushing herself, because I'm pushing her sister, crowded lines would be challenging for her. Would other people feel comfortable asking for a DAS for her?

I thought you were having another adult with you at all times? The nanny or son/friend combo? If that doesn't work, then you need to have another adult with you. DAS is not for mobility issues - how would the DAS help your 6 year old? You can't use it just because the other child might refuse to ride.

What you can do is ask the CM at baording when the older child refuses if there is any way to solve the situation.

My son loves his little siblings. He's an amazing big brother. His best friend is a really awesome kid. But traveling with us definitely cramps their style. I can't really imagine telling them that they can't ride the thrill rides, or do things at teenager speed, every single day. It just doesn't seem fair.

Similarly, my nanny is wonderful and I know she wants to make this work for my kid, but she deserves a few days in the park with her own child, and her child deserves a few days without having to share mommy.

I would guess that if DD6 in particular was already in a ride vehicle, no CM is going to force us to take her out while it's in motion, because it just wouldn't be safe. They'd either need to stop the ride, or let them go through. Frankly, by the time the CM's put together what was going on, my guess is that the other kids would be heading into a tunnel or something, because in my experience everyone's attention will be distracted by the suddenly crying child, not thinking about the other kids and how they got into the FP (right? FP and DAS share a line?) line in the first place, and whether they still "deserve" to be there.

I also kind of assume that at least 1/2 the CM's who see this aren't going to think of it as breaking rules and just tell us to go to the exit to meet the rest of them, but I'd rather avoid a situation where we're then asked to leave the park or have the DAS revoked, or get yelled at, or whatever the consequences would be if an unreasonable CM decided to be a stickler for the rules.

The other option, would of course be to have DD8 board first (likely her brother gets in and I hand her to him), which takes care of the safety issue, but leaves me with greatly disappointed siblings.

I'm not really thinking about days with the nanny, because I'm not convinced we'll ride anything on those days. I'm assuming that if she refuses to smile at Mickey, or gets upset and I take her out of a show, the others can stay for that right?

You would most likely be placed in one ride vehicle for the attractions that are safe for your physically disabled children to ride on - and the ones that don't have height requirements for the younger children. So, no, they wouldn't stop a ride vehicle on its way, as you'd be still all right there.

The situation you described above could work at Disney if all the players were the same, but as you mention, you've added a baby to the mix. And your son and his friend will only be in the parks on some days. The other days, you will only have the nanny, and she will have her 3 year old along. So the boarding situation gets more difficult.

Is it possible some CMs would allow the remainder of your party to ride if your DD8 gets upset at boarding and won't ride? Yes, it's possible they may let you stay behind with your DD and let everyone else go ahead, especially if everyone else is boarded. But the terms you agree to with the DAS are clear that you can't use the DAS return times if the child it is issued to doesn't ride. The CMs could make you all exit in that situation. You can't count on being allowed to ride so you have to be prepared for that possiblility.

If it ends up that we can't ride anything on the days without the boys, I'm OK with that. I bet we'll find that there are somethings, like maybe the train at MK, we can manage with 2 adults, but if not it's not a big deal. We'll eat with princesses and hug Mickey those days. But if it turns out we can't ride anything on the whole trip, then we'll go to the beach or something like that.

As for the baby, my guess is that DS17 will board with the baby in arms, pass him to his friend and then put out a hand to help me in with DD8 in my arms, or maybe we'll switch that. If it's a ride the baby can't ride, due to being under 3, then DS17 will ride with just DD8, and his friend with DS5, and DD6.

Given that DD6 is under 40 inches, we're only talking about relatively slow rides anyway.

I would probably say "This is Mary, this is Jane, both girls can become overwhelmed and upset when crowds surround their wheelchair, so we need 2 DAS's, would that be enough? We also need a stroller as wheelchair pass for Mary (whose chair is stroller style, and sometimes mistaken for a stroller), but not for Jane (whose chair looks like an adult wheelchair, just tiny)." Do you think that would work?

It wouldn't be a lie, and I'd be comfortable with "Jane" hearing it, but it would leave off the fact that Jane's discomfort could be avoided if someone was available to push her.

If someone needs to be available to push her, then you really need to make that possible by having a person there dedicated to pushing her - can she wheel 3-4 miles a day? From the car to the front of the park, especially at MK, can be pretty far. Look on google maps to see the scope of the parks - and how far you have to travel from HP parking to the back of the park, etc.

On the days with the boys, we will have enough hands to push her. On days with the nanny, when we'll be doing more shows, nanny's hands will be either pushing and double stroller or wrangling toddler and possibly baby.

If someone needs to be available to push her, then you really need to make that possible by having a person there dedicated to pushing her - can she wheel 3-4 miles a day? From the car to the front of the park, especially at MK, can be pretty far. Look on google maps to see the scope of the parks - and how far you have to travel from HP parking to the back of the park, etc.

In my experience, there are strategies that work well in open spaces like parking spots (e.g. having the 5 year old push the stroller or turning on the power assist on her wheels) that don't work in crowded situations like lines where running into ankles is a real concern.

She is an energizer bunny so I'm not too worried about that except in crowds.

I thought you were having another adult with you at all times? The nanny or son/friend combo? If that doesn't work, then you need to have another adult with you. DAS is not for mobility issues - how would the DAS help your 6 year old? You can't use it just because the other child might refuse to ride.

What you can do is ask the CM at baording when the older child refuses if there is any way to solve the situation.

You would most likely be placed in one ride vehicle for the attractions that are safe for your physically disabled children to ride on - and the ones that don't have height requirements for the younger children. So, no, they wouldn't stop a ride vehicle on its way, as you'd be still all right there.

I am picturing things like haunted mansion where the cars aren't going to hold 7 people, and they don't stop. I think there were a bunch like that where we'd need 2 cars (Buzz Lightyear? Something with Winnie the Pooh?) Or am I rembering wrong? I wasn't looking at things with experienced "wheelchair mom eyes" on our last visit since neither DD was born.

You could book the three FPs for rides DD8 is most likely to change her mind on, and then the other children would still be able to ride. I know you don't want to split up, but if you could work it so the other rides she might/might not want to ride have shorter standby lines then the other children with the older boys could stand in the standby line, and you and DD8 and the baby would use the DAS and meet up at the ride car. If DD8 wants out then, the others came from the standby line and would still ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter