How strict are they with kids credits and menu choices?

winniegivesahoot

Earning My Ears
I have been reading for days about the lack of good choices for kids on most menus. How strict are they on making them choose off of it. I have an eight year old son and a five year old girl who are normal size great eaters. Most of the kids items in my opinion are geared toward picky eaters.(peanut butter and jelly,mac and cheese, etc) Can they order off of the adult menu? My wife and I have always feed them what we ate and not a hot dog when we were eating steak. The CS are my main concern since we have several buffets scheduled that will allow them to eat anything there. Can someone who recently experienced this at Disney give feedback. We are going April 18th - 25th.

Thanks

We went last year during free dining and never had a problem ordering the kids adult meals. We had to do that once or twice because the kids menus at some CS places are so limited and our kids wanted chicken or hamburgers that were only on the adult menu.

The only thing you may have a problem with depending on the CM is that your key will say 2 adults 2 children (or whatever you have) and if you try to order more than 2 adult meals, they may say you only have 2 adults on your plan.

I have read here that some people buy 2 adult meals at a time and just go up to the counter twice. I am not advocating this, but I have read on these boards that it has been done. ;) I am not out to cheat the system just to get the most money out of it, but like I said, there were a couple of times that we ordered adult meals for the kids simply because they didn't like any of the kid choices. Hope this helps! :goodvibes

Jennifer

Eventually they may put some enforcement in place, but so far they haven't. I wouldn't count on continuing leniency, but there doesn't seem to be any indications that that leniency won't continue.

Your resort card will say 2A and 2C and you may have a problem ordering more than 2 adult meals at a TS restaurant. Buffets are the solution. You could always pay out of pocket for an extra adult entrée or just pick restaurants that have a better child menu.

CS tend to be more lenient and if necessary you could always have one parent get 2 adult CS meals from one cashier and the other parent get 2 adult CS meals from another cashier.

For almost a year there have been rumors regarding Disney separating credits into adult and child. Although it looks less likely that they'll make a change, I'd make sure my vacation wouldn't be ruined if that change is made.

Yes, what Lewisc said.

We would usually get 3 CS adult-meals for us (2 adults, 3 kids) as our kids didn't usually like the kids choices. So sometimes we (adults) would each go up and order...I'd get 2, pay...then she'd get 1 and pay with her card.

We had 2 of the 3 kids on our card due to a check-in/reservation mistake...one of the kids was registered with my folks on their room. The only issue we had was due to this setup....at Flame-Tree, when we tried to order one more meal than our card (5 meals...2 adult, 3 kid...on a 4-person room-card), it caused mass confusion. Not sure if it was the personnel (complex explanations in 'Southern' English wasn't their forte, lol), or the computer rejecting it. We ordered, then went to pay and they couldn't take all 5...so we removed one of the meals and let my dad order one for the kids on his room-card.

Since we never tried to order more than 2 adult CS meals at one specific order, not sure if it would take 3 or 4 on a 2-adult room-card.

But I'm pretty sure you don't want to try at Flame-Tree. :)

I understand the system to be linked to your room key as stated already, what comes with that is that you are now connected to 2A and 2C. If you order your children meals from the adult menu, your "account" of TS and CS "should" be charged according to what you order, therfore leaving you with childrens meals and no adult meals. IF, your children were considered adults(10+ I believe) and they did not want to eat the adult menu, they could order from the childrens menu. In other words, they could order down, but not up. Buffets are then the way to go.

NO, Disney doesn't (currently) differentiate between a child and an adult credit. Your account only shows total TS, CS and snack credits.

The plan clearly requires that children order off the child's menu. Although guests will probably get away with it, this strategy is clearly violating the terms of the plan. You're not taking advantage of a loophole or a generous provision of the plan but rather you're taking advantage of the difficulty in enforcing that aspect of the plan.

Mi3stooges said:
I understand the system to be linked to your room key as stated already, what comes with that is that you are now connected to 2A and 2C. If you order your children meals from the adult menu, your "account" of TS and CS "should" be charged according to what you order, therfore leaving you with childrens meals and no adult meals. IF, your children were considered adults(10+ I believe) and they did not want to eat the adult menu, they could order from the childrens menu. In other words, they could order down, but not up. Buffets are then the way to go.

Lewisc said:
NO, Disney doesn't (currently) differentiate between a child and an adult credit. Your account only shows total TS, CS and snack credits.

The plan clearly requires that children order off the child's menu. Although guests will probably get away with it, this strategy is clearly violating the terms of the plan. You're not taking advantage of a loophole or a generous provision of the plan but rather you're taking advantage of the difficulty in enforcing that aspect of the plan.

But what if you have 4 adults and 1 child, and you only order 4 adult meals at a counter service restaurant because 1). Another meal would be way too much food and 2). Like the OP, my son doesn't want chicken fingers and mac and cheese every meal. He likes steak and salmon and pasta alfredo like the rest of us. Does this mean I'm trying to get away with something?

I'll probably have some CS credits left at the end, especially if they start differenciating between adult and child. In most cases we just don't want the child's meal.

That's not what the OP was asking. They had 2A and 2C and wanted to order adult CS meals for their kids. They can easily getaway with it, I'm not even sure Disney cares, but it clearly violates the rules. Considering the poster could follow the rules and still get adult meals the issue isn't that big a deal.

Mom of Sleepy said:
But what if you have 4 adults and 1 child, and you only order 4 adult meals at a counter service restaurant because 1). Another meal would be way too much food and 2). Like the OP, my son doesn't want chicken fingers and mac and cheese every meal. He likes steak and salmon and pasta alfredo like the rest of us. Does this mean I'm trying to get away with something?

I'll probably have some CS credits left at the end, especially if they start differenciating between adult and child. In most cases we just don't want the child's meal.

DH, DD3 and I will have 30 CS credits for our 10 night stay. If DH and I order 2 adult CS meals, DD3 will probably be fine sharing. The 3rd CS meal that would normally be a kid's meal can be used on a subsequent day for breakfast (or lunch), and we can get pancakes, french toast, etc at the food court, and not be stuck with the children's Mickey waffle? Also, what happens if we go to a TS that's not a buffet, and we share our 2 adult meals with DD3? Can her remaining credit be used at (for example) B&C for a burger and fries (I'm not sure if there is a kid's menu at B&C)? All but 2 of our meals are buffet/fixed plate style (Teppanyaki, Coral Reef), so this isn't a big issue.

frannn said:
DH, DD3 and I will have 30 CS credits for our 10 night stay. If DH and I order 2 adult CS meals, DD3 will probably be fine sharing. The 3rd CS meal that would normally be a kid's meal can be used on a subsequent day for breakfast (or lunch), and we can get pancakes, french toast, etc at the food court, and not be stuck with the children's Mickey waffle? Also, what happens if we go to a TS that's not a buffet, and we share our 2 adult meals with DD3? Can her remaining credit be used at (for example) B&C for a burger and fries (I'm not sure if there is a kid's menu at B&C)? All but 2 of our meals are buffet/fixed plate style (Teppanyaki, Coral Reef), so this isn't a big issue.

Yes and Yes.

:confused3
DDH is not coming in our Sept. trip. Meal Plan is for Me, DD9 and DD5. Does this mean DD9 can order adult pancakes as CS. She loves the mickey waffles but kids waffles are not filling enough (we'll have late TS for lunch).
What else can be included for breakfast?

I'm sorry if I sound ignorate I'm just really confused about meal plan?

mercydisney said:
:confused3
DDH is not coming in our Sept. trip. Meal Plan is for Me, DD9 and DD5. Does this mean DD9 can order adult pancakes as CS. She loves the mickey waffles but kids waffles are not filling enough (we'll have late TS for lunch).
What else can be included for breakfast?

I'm sorry if I sound ignorate I'm just really confused about meal plan?

For both TS and CS, you have a bank of so many TS credits and CS credits.

DD9 (and DD5) will have to order off the kids menu for TS. If you are staying 7 nights, your room-key-meal-card would tie into the meal-plan database and your room would have 21 TS credits, and 21 CS credits. It doesn't differentiate between adult/child, but your room-key-meal-card has that info printed on the card. So when you order, the CM/waiter will allow you one adult meal, and 2 kids meals.

When buying CS meals, if your DD9 doesn't like what they have, you could probably order two adult CS and one kid's. If not, you could order 1 adult and one kid's, then go back and order another adult's.

Hope this helps.

Frannn,
'Also, what happens if we go to a TS that's not a buffet, and we share our 2 adult meals with DD3? Can her remaining credit be used at (for example) B&C for a burger and fries '

If you and DH get two TS and DD3 eats off your plates and doesn't order anything, then that meal would take your starting 30 TS credits and reduce it by 2. Your 'bank' would then have 28 TS credits left. When DD3 orders a TS meal, she'll have to get a child's meal, and that counts as 1 TS credit.

A burger/fries meal at a non-TS restaurant would hit your CS meal 'bank', not your TS. I don't think you can use TS credits for CS meals.

:confused3 I'm sorry if I sound ignorate I'm just really confused about meal plan?
Don't apologize. The plan is constructed in a manner to be confusing. It is internally inconsistent and unfair, which is why there are so many intelligent and reasonable people who have such hard time understanding the specifics of the plan. The only thing that is clear is that it is a very generous plan (yes, it is both generous and unfair :)), and most folks who actually plan to eat 1 TS and 1 CS per day anyway will probably be better off with the dining plan than without out, regardless of what the specifics are or how they're applied, on the week that the specific guest visits.

bicker said:
...and most folks who actually plan to eat 1 TS and 1 CS per day anyway will probably be better off with the dining plan than without out, regardless of what the specifics are or how they're applied, on the week that the specific guest visits....
Only if most folks eat thier TS meals for dinner and not for less expensive breakfast or lunch... :smokin:

drogerstn said:
Only if most folks eat thier TS meals for dinner and not for less expensive breakfast or lunch... :smokin:
That's surely true.

ngtotd-dtrt, I now understand how the points work. Thanks for breaking it down for me.

Bicker, I don't feel that dumb anymore. Thanks!!!

Thanks to all who gave input to my question. I want everyone to know that I am not trying to cheat anyone but, I really think there needs to be better choices for the kids. There could at least be kid sized portions of adult entrees. Also, no way does a three year old and a nine year old eat the same thing. I realize that the buffets will not be a problem. I am just concerned with Coral Reef and the CS meals we will have to eat.

Thanks again,

Gene

winniegivesahoot said:
Thanks to all who gave input to my question. I want everyone to know that I am not trying to cheat anyone but, I really think there needs to be better choices for the kids. There could at least be kid sized portions of adult entrees. Also, no way does a three year old and a nine year old eat the same thing. I realize that the buffets will not be a problem. I am just concerned with Coral Reef and the CS meals we will have to eat.

Thanks again,

Gene

I totally agree. There are not enough kid choices, especially at the CS places. That's why we have had to order adult meals for our kids at the CS places from time to time.

Lewisc said:
That's not what the OP was asking. They had 2A and 2C and wanted to order adult CS meals for their kids. They can easily getaway with it, I'm not even sure Disney cares, but it clearly violates the rules. Considering the poster could follow the rules and still get adult meals the issue isn't that big a deal.

Where do you get ADULT counter service meals?? Are the menus broken down like McDonalds, #1, #2, etc for adults and happy meals for kids??
Now I'm confused

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter