Huge deers roaming the TTC parking lot!

My dh told me he saw a bobcat over by POR. We were taking the Ferry back from DTD and he saw on sitting on the side of the river and he scurried away. I didn't believe him.

And, what do you do at WDW?

My building is located right behind POR. I work for the Disney Florist.

Took this pic last week.

3108500639_daaf7db4e1_b.jpg

The coyotes, however, still surprise me...

Ah they do have coyotes in FL!? I could have sworn I saw one a week ago at FW on the other side of the canal from the dog walk off the 800 loop, but then thought maybe it was just a fox or something.

I was walking my dog, and he kind of tracked us - watching and keeping a bit ahead of us on his side of the canal. My dog was ignoring him - I was carrying a frisbee - but as soon as my dog jumped to catch the frisbee, he took off.

I initially thought fox, but it was bigger than that and more the color of a coyote than the foxes I normally see here in NH.

We see loads of deer whenever we stay at FW, and have learned to be really careful driving back to the campground at night, as they're all around the roads there too.

Ah they do have coyotes in FL!? I could have sworn I saw one a week ago at FW on the other side of the canal from the dog walk off the 800 loop, but then thought maybe it was just a fox or something.

I was walking my dog, and he kind of tracked us - watching and keeping a bit ahead of us on his side of the canal. My dog was ignoring him - I was carrying a frisbee - but as soon as my dog jumped to catch the frisbee, he took off.

I initially thought fox, but it was bigger than that and more the color of a coyote than the foxes I normally see here in NH.

We see loads of deer whenever we stay at FW, and have learned to be really careful driving back to the campground at night, as they're all around the roads there too.

Yes, we do have coyote in Florida. There is a pretty good size pack of them that lives near the intersection of Apopka-Vineland and Conroy-Windermere Road. It is an undeveloped area. I often spot a few while driving past that location.

In November when we went we saw them at ft. wilderness on the bus back to wilderness lodge. Someone was like "Woah Deer!" and everyone turned and looked at them. It was like a family of deers! Haha

Two years ago when the I-4 interchange was underconstruction we had to detour through Celebration to get to 192 East. Around 5 oclock we were driving behind a pick up and we both had to stop suddenly when a huge black boar came out of the ditch and quickly ran across the road. We sat there stunned. We joked that it was a runaway from AK. Since it had come from the I-4 side we wondered how it had got across. I have never seen a boar running loose but it sure was one pig black pig!!

Nepean

Maybe Disney could have guided Deer Huntiing. They seem to do everything else.

They could package the ultimate red neck day of fishin, huntin, and stock car racing.

Just kidding.

I think the wildlife is cool!

All this talk of deer reminds me...
We were at MK on the train last week around 3-4pm when the conductor pointed out the deer on the left, "those are real deer folks, not Disney deer" :lmao:

The week before we actually saw a real deer in the area with the "Disney" deer on the train as well. I guess even s/he couldn't tell the difference. :rotfl:

disnut8, thank you for the info!

WillCAD, unfortunately you don't have to get anywhere near a deer to get Lyme disease from deer ticks. While the deer carry the ticks, the ticks are also found on the local population of mice (not Mickey, I hope!) and thus can be found just about everywhere. It's a serious problem up here in the north east. A friend's daughter suffered moderate brain damage from being infected.

disnut8, thank you for the info!

WillCAD, unfortunately you don't have to get anywhere near a deer to get Lyme disease from deer ticks. While the deer carry the ticks, the ticks are also found on the local population of mice (not Mickey, I hope!) and thus can be found just about everywhere. It's a serious problem up here in the north east. A friend's daughter suffered moderate brain damage from being infected.

Lyme disease is a serious issue here in Maryland, too, where the tick population is quite heavy in our wooded and undeveloped areas. I could tell stories, but they are too long and unpleasant.

However, avoiding ticks is a relatively simple matter for most folks. 1) Avoid areas where ticks live, and 2) Avoid wild animals that carry ticks. Unless you're a lumberjack, park ranger, or in some other profession that requires you to enter those areas regularly or have close contact with those animals, you should be gold. And those folks who do have to enter those areas and have close contact with those animals are still able to avoid the ticks by using bug spray, wearing appropriate clothing, and checking themselves thoroughly for ticks on a regular basis.

Let's not panic those who might live in other areas of the country into thinking that they could possibly get loaded with ticks and subsequently get lyme disease by visiting WDW. Those staying at Ft Wilderness have to excercise a bit more caution, but if you're staying in a resort or hotel and visiting the parks, you're perfectly safe from this particular danger.

Ok, Maybe it's me, but when I read the title I thought Christmas and Rudolph! I didn't realize you were talking "real Deers" I thought Santa had arrived at Disney! Better get some coffee in me!:rotfl:

Saw a smallish herd on the ride to MK...over in the TTC area, a week or so ago. It's funny, but the deer seem to be pretty regular. About 2 yrs ago, a bus driver told us to look over under the monorail line. He said the deer come out around dusk every night, in that area. And, of course, there were deer there. Now I look every time I'm there at dusk.
We've seen wild pigs, deer, armadillo, snakes, alligators, turtles, rabbits...all sorts of critters. But no bobcat yet.

Saw a smallish herd on the ride to MK...over in the TTC area, a week or so ago. It's funny, but the deer seem to be pretty regular. About 2 yrs ago, a bus driver told us to look over under the monorail line. He said the deer come out around dusk every night, in that area. And, of course, there were deer there. Now I look every time I'm there at dusk.
We've seen wild pigs, deer, armadillo, snakes, alligators, turtles, rabbits...all sorts of critters. But no bobcat yet.

I knew it! My BIL and I swear we saw an armadillo, but everyone just laughed at us. Yes, we had been drinking, but it was not an opossum.

In September while driving home from WDW at night on I-4 we passed over 26deer on the side of I-4 between Sanford and Daytona.

People (mainly out of state tourists) are often surprised to see wildlife in Florida for some reason. We aren't a 100% developed tourist mecca. Florida is stilly mostly undeveloped land with a lot of wildlife. Florida is still one of the top cattle producing states in the union (12th - and used to be higher) and was the point of origin for cattle in the US when Ponce de Leon introduced them in 1521. We have lots of deer, wild pigs/boar, coyote, foxes, alligators, birds, fish, panthers, bobcats, etc. If you get out of the big cities in Florida chances are you will see wildlife and quite a bit of it.

Btw, "cowboys" originated in Florida - not Texas - prior to the major westward expansion after the Civil War. Yee-haw. :)

Chances are you will not see one at WDW, but we have black bear in the Orlando area as well. They tend to be in the northern parts of the greater Orlando area. The make their way down from the Ocala National Forest. However, that being said, there was a black bear caught at Universal Studios a few months back. How that little guy made his way through the city to that area, I just can't figure out. Of course, he was caught and moved back to a safer area.

It is not unusual to see a story about bears in trees in neighborhoods as close as Winter Park.

In addition to the other wildlife mentioned, my [truly redneck-hunting-fishing]DH spotted wild turkeys on the way to MK. He actually paused to take aim (well, finger aim) at some dove that flew past our train on Big Thunder Mountain! Yes, that's while we were riding!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter