Huge deers roaming the TTC parking lot!

In addition to the other wildlife mentioned, my [truly redneck-hunting-fishing]DH spotted wild turkeys on the way to MK. He actually paused to take aim (well, finger aim) at some dove that flew past our train on Big Thunder Mountain! Yes, that's while we were riding!

The wild turkey are everywhere. I can't tell you how many times I had to stop to wait while a flock of turkeys stroll across the road. I've had them in my front yard on numerous occassions. My favorite, however, is the sand cranes. Great big birds!

I have seen deer a few times at WDW, I can't get over how tiny they look compared to the white tails around here. I want to feed them and fatten them up :lmao:

Last year we saw a few turkeys on the side of the road between Fort Wilderness Campground \and the Wilderness Lodge.

Also several years ago, one of the bus drivers was telling us how there were black panthers on WDW property. I'm not sure if they are still there, this was 15 years ago.

Let's not panic those who might live in other areas of the country into thinking that they could possibly get loaded with ticks and subsequently get lyme disease by visiting WDW. Those staying at Ft Wilderness have to excercise a bit more caution, but if you're staying in a resort or hotel and visiting the parks, you're perfectly safe from this particular danger.

I agree.

I live in the southern suburbs of Pittsburgh. Deer are a dime a dozen and I have them in my back yard ever single day. I don't worry at all about ticks or lyme disease. I take certain, mundane percautions when in the woods, but other than that, it's not like the deer are crawling with ticks and each tick has Lyme disease.

The wild turkey are everywhere. I can't tell you how many times I had to stop to wait while a flock of turkeys stroll across the road. I've had them in my front yard on numerous occassions. My favorite, however, is the sand cranes. Great big birds!

Good Lord! If DH knew that, he'd want to come stay with you. He already thinks you're great because of your beautiful baskets! :rotfl: I haven't told him that you're with Disney Florist now. He'd probably cry!

Lyme disease is a serious issue here in Maryland, too, where the tick population is quite heavy in our wooded and undeveloped areas. I could tell stories, but they are too long and unpleasant.

However, avoiding ticks is a relatively simple matter for most folks. 1) Avoid areas where ticks live, and 2) Avoid wild animals that carry ticks. Unless you're a lumberjack, park ranger, or in some other profession that requires you to enter those areas regularly or have close contact with those animals, you should be gold. And those folks who do have to enter those areas and have close contact with those animals are still able to avoid the ticks by using bug spray, wearing appropriate clothing, and checking themselves thoroughly for ticks on a regular basis.

Let's not panic those who might live in other areas of the country into thinking that they could possibly get loaded with ticks and subsequently get lyme disease by visiting WDW. Those staying at Ft Wilderness have to excercise a bit more caution, but if you're staying in a resort or hotel and visiting the parks, you're perfectly safe from this particular danger.

But with photos of deer on the front lawn of a resort, that means ticks could also be in the grass there, and could be doing quite well living on rodents, rabbits, etc. Luckily, it sounds like Lyme disease is not found in Florida. My dog got Lyme disease, and he didn't have to go into the woods or tall grass to get it. He caught it in his 8X20 foot fenced in, sand/paving stone yard. Where there are rodents, there could be Lyme disease, if Lyme disease is in the region.

As I stated above, luckily, it sounds like Lyme disease is not found in Florida.

Good Lord! If DH knew that, he'd want to come stay with you. He already thinks you're great because of your beautiful baskets! :rotfl: I haven't told him that you're with Disney Florist now. He'd probably cry!

How sweet of you to say! Thanks!

Since this thread isn't really about attractions and strategies, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

There's wildlife all over property.Tons of deer, just small by mid-west standards.

That's because they are primarily "scrub" fed, while the Midwest feeds their deer Corn.

Originally from Texas, I immediately noticed the difference in deer size after moving to the Midwest.

We have seen deer all over WDW. On the "Train Tour" in December, the CM's told us that a family lives near the tracks between Main St and Frontierland. They also said that the alligators come up for the Steam when they "blow down" (a safety thang) a bit backstage.

I have seen Armadillos on the golf course.

We ALL have seen Bunnies, Ducks, Cranes and, of course, LIZARDS!!!!

Keep your eyes open! Ya never know what will pop up next at Disney!

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

And of course, as isn't popularly known, the deer population has exploded in the past few years, due to the decline of hunting as a sport.

(Of course, my freezer's empty, so you wouldn't know it by me. And DH will be working overtime all next hunting season. . .oh well. Maybe I can buy part of a cousin's cow - I don't eat meat unless it's either wild game or from someone I know treats his animals well.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter