HURRICANE INFORMATION (AUGUST 15, 2004): All parks except TL are OPEN

Great news! We leave in 5 days, and I was getting worried. I hope all the vacationers, CMs, and residents are doing well today..............

Who needs the weather channel when you've got the DIS? Thanks to all who have kept us updated-- hope everyone is safe and sound.

That is great news!!!!!!!

I am just so sorry for those that were taken by surprise in the Fort Meyers/Punta Gorda areas, how very sad. We need to pray for the families that lost lives in this tragedy.

We also need to pray that the 2 tropical depressions, Danielle and Earl don't develop into anything significant.

I just heard on the Weather Channel that Orlando International Airport sustained structural damage. I'm flying into there on Wednesday. I checked and all flights leaving from Newark, NJ to Orlando have been cancelled this morning due to the damage. Does anyone have any more information regarding this? I'm worried sick about my vacation!:confused:

Just went on the Disney site. All the other parks are opening today except Animal Kingdom. It is listed as still being closed. I quess there is lots of debris to clean up.

Just wanted to thank you, LibertyBelle, and all the other CM's, who have helped so much the past few days, (and really, always) trying to keep people here in the loop with what was/is going on at WDW and area. You have extended your wonderful willingness to help others, from your onstage jobs (or backstage, if that is where some of you perform) to places such as here on the DIS. You and the others are always such a help, and again, the past few days, have gone that extra mile we so often see. We do appreciate it. :hug: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo :hug: Thanks.

Thanks for the update.. As much as I love Disney World and would hate to see any damage, my only concern was for the workers and visitors.. Great to hear that all is well down there..

We just (unfortunately) finished up a trip to OKW and the theme parks.....

We thought the way the handled Hurricane Charley was phenomenal.....we received phone updates both Thursday night and Friday morning and it was done very well....

We felt kept in the loop and liked how the handled this horrible situations......

The park handled this exceptionally and really liked their operations....

Great job, Disney!

Walt Disney World theme parks, as well as Downtown Disney, are scheduled to open on Saturday, August 14, at 9 a.m. Because of the storm however, park officials say it may take a few hours for the areas to become fully operational.

"Like other members of the Central Florida community," states Disney officials, "our property received some damage as a result of Hurricane Charley. While it is too early to assess the total impact of the storm, we would not open unless it was safe for our Guests and Cast. As always the safety of our Guests and Cast Members is our top priority."

All Walt Disney World Cast Members, whether or not their work area is open, should report to work at the appropriate time today if it is safe to do so. Guests who have questions should call (407) WDW-INFO or (407) 939-4636.

The Magic Kingdom will close at 11 p.m. Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios will close at 9 p.m. Blizzard Beach will close at 7:30 p.m. Disney's Animal Kingdom hours are still pending at this time. Typhoon Lagoon will be closed.

Thanks for taking the time to post and keep us updated. I haven't heard much on Orlando. I should have known to check in here first! I'm relieved to hear that everyone is safe.

Originally posted by mickeymousefan
I hope all the animals did OK......

Me too! I hope they were able to round them up and get them into the barns. Hopefully we'll hear more as the day goes on!

They had the animals in shelters, so it probably takes a while to get them placed throughout the park again. That's why AK was closed all of yesterday, instead of until 1:00, like the other parks.

CNN had some video in the last 30 minutes - looked like tiles blow off the roof, jetways moved about, equipment spread across the runway but I didn't notice any major structural damage - doesn't mean there wasn't any though.

Thanks for the info. Let's hope that its just a "clean up" type thing and nothing that will cancel or delay flights for too long.

We live in St Pete and Charley was forecast to hit us head on. I am thankful we were spared but I am heartsick for the people who were hit. Our news is reporting some mobile home residents in Charlotte County who did not evacuate were killed. The number of dead are not known yet. This storm changed path and intensified so fast it took people by surprise. I pray God's comfort for ALL who were affected.

I was searching for storm damage information, so thanks for the update. I did hear there was some damage to the airport.

Thanks for the info. At least I know Mickey and the gang are safe as well as former CM's from my store that are now park CM's. We were just there less then 3 months ago watching all the news it's like this thing just took our vacation in reverse. I have a cousin in the Ft Meyers area that we visited on our trip last contact was shortly before 4 pm yesterday at which point he was in an airplane hanger at the airport he manages he was alone as he'd sent home his employees.....I pray he made it OK.

One of the news channels I was just watching was showing damage to the Orlando airport. Just curious what is the status of that? Are those at WDW now stuck or those wanting to come in having to wait?

Thanks for reporting. Even though no one is perfect, very nice to hear positive remarks and that Disney handled it well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter