Hurricane Irma?

Hope I don't get slammed for this but I'm feeling bad right now after speaking to a family member. I know Florida is a tourist state and how important tourism is to their economy but I'm kind of surprised the Governor, as he tells residents to leave isn't asking for tourists to stay away. Every person that comes into the state is taking away resources needed for the residents. I feel sorry for people unable to find hotel rooms. Gas is not available and should be used for evacuation or emergency personnel. I have family in Tampa who aren't trying to evacuate because traffic is so bad, no gas, and there are no hotel rooms in safer areas. Those that are feeling bad about cancelling, just think some family from Tampa or Miami may have a place to stay because of you.

I'm hoping I can get people's opinions here from the people familiar with the college program. My sister is a CP right now and we couldn't get her a flight home. She lives in Vista Way on the first floor. She has food and water prepared and an extra battery pack. Her roommates however said the storm wouldn't hit so they didn't get anything. My friend who lives in Orlando offered her to come stay with her. My friend is very very prepared and lives on the second floor of a building. Positives of the first floor if a tornado were to hit they are low to the ground but if it flooded it wouldn't be good. Also debris could be an issue and she faces a parking lot. Second floor wouldn't be good for a tornado but good for flooding. She doesn't face a parking lot. I just don't know where is safer to go so I was hoping to get some opinions on here.
If it were my daughter I would want her with my friend, not a bunch of young, unprepared roommates.

I called this morning to cancel 2 tours - only 1.5 hours on hold - but got some useful information about the cancellation/change process.

All cancellations/changes require the CM to fill out a form to get the fees waived. That form is sent over to a team which has to process the fee-removal manually. They are backed up ( no surprise) and it will take them several days to get it all processed. Our packages and reservations will still show up on MyDisney until they get them processed, likely several days from now. Once they do get them manually processed, money will be refunded to the credit card on which it was charged. The cancellation will have the same transaction ID as the confirmation code of the original transaction. So, if my tour had transaction code DIS123, the cancellation and refund will have the same code of DIS123. That will help you if you need to follow up.

Good luck to everyone!

You were lucky to get through so fast. I have been on hold for over 2 hrs. I called 2 days ago to cancel and put the funds towards a trip I already had booked for January. The original CM said no problem but may take a few days. Called again yesterday and spoke to another CM she said funds were transferred but reservation not cancelled. Called again at 7am this morning and CM still said reservation was not cancelled she transferred me to someone else and its been 2 hrs. on hold. Neither of the CMs I spoke to didn't understand why it wasn't cancelled. So now not only am I sad but am frustrated. I know that I should be refunded if I am charged but since it doesn't show cancelled I dont want it to be noted that I was a no show, and have the aggravation of trying to get a refund.

Hope I don't get slammed for this but I'm feeling bad right now after speaking to a family member. I know Florida is a tourist state and how important tourism is to their economy but I'm kind of surprised the Governor, as he tells residents to leave isn't asking for tourists to stay away. Every person that comes into the state is taking away resources needed for the residents. I feel sorry for people unable to find hotel rooms. Gas is not available and should be used for evacuation or emergency personnel. I have family in Tampa who aren't trying to evacuate because traffic is so bad, no gas, and there are no hotel rooms in safer areas. Those that are feeling bad about cancelling, just think some family from Tampa or Miami may have a place to stay because of you.
Perhaps he thinks it's more than obvious? If it's not safe for residents, then clearly (to most) it follows that it wouldn't be safe for tourists, either.

I'm hoping I can get people's opinions here from the people familiar with the college program. My sister is a CP right now and we couldn't get her a flight home. She lives in Vista Way on the first floor. She has food and water prepared and an extra battery pack. Her roommates however said the storm wouldn't hit so they didn't get anything. My friend who lives in Orlando offered her to come stay with her. My friend is very very prepared and lives on the second floor of a building. Positives of the first floor if a tornado were to hit they are low to the ground but if it flooded it wouldn't be good. Also debris could be an issue and she faces a parking lot. Second floor wouldn't be good for a tornado but good for flooding. She doesn't face a parking lot. I just don't know where is safer to go so I was hoping to get some opinions on here.

Have her go with your friend and take her food, batteries etc with her. I imagine her roommates, who were unwilling to be prepared, may soon become "unpleasant" to be with as they realize they should have thought about this. It may be unnerving - so I would rather be with someone local, knowledgeable of the area and prepared.

In case it was missed ...

Screen-Shot-2017-09-08-at-6.54.34-AM-700x236.jpg

Wow, that's a short call! There are many numbers that I've found online/received in my many Disney emails... which number specifically did you use for a 10-minute wait? We're supposed to fly out at 8:30am tomorrow and were all set to brave it until this last model was released at 5pm. :worried: I think we'll try to reschedule to fly in next week and extend our trip on the back end. I ask because my current hold time is 42 minutes, so may use another phone to try yours. :)
Sorry, just now saw this. I called 407-934-7639. I said "I have a question" when the automated system prompted me for why I was calling. Hope that helps!

I now have heard people being able to keep free dining and not stay within same window. Like cancel sept rebook December. Just making sure the info stay up to date. It was for awhile something you needed to get eacalated to guest services and then a manager. But more reports coming out that the first cm is helpingl to rebook and keep FD.

Bottom line if it was me I would stay nice, meek and mild but I wouldn't get off the phone until they honored FD. Edited to say... with the caveat of you have to travel during the time of FD and a FD resort has to available.

December is still in the Free Dining promo window
Dates were
8/21/17-12/23/17
with some black out dates
10/1-11/13, 11/21-11/24, 11/28-12/7

so if you move your trip from now to a date within the above dates you should still be able to keep free dining

Since I had to reschedule to 9/17 and will be driving down from NC via I95, is there a site that will post passable/safe roads to travel? I will be following the DIS for first person accounts on conditions, but not sure where to get updates on NC/SC/GA road conditions (mainly I95).

I would have her go to your friends house. :)

FYI for anyone evacuating their home trying to head to Disney, if all goes well and we get out on our flight today there will be a room available at POR starting tomorrow.
POR had a huge room bloc of 1100 rooms open up because of a cancellation, so that is where they are evacuating people to if needed and it is also the staging area for tree and electric trucks/crews.

I now have heard people being able to keep free dining and not stay within same window. Like cancel sept rebook December. Just making sure the info stay up to date. It was for awhile something you needed to get eacalated to guest services and then a manager. But more reports coming out that the first cm is helpingl to rebook and keep FD.

Bottom line if it was me I would stay nice, meek and mild but I wouldn't get off the phone until they honored FD. Edited to say... with the caveat of you have to travel during the time of FD and a FD resort has to available.
Yeah, we may have been able to keep FD if it had been available during our rebooked dates. We had two strikes against us, to keep being able to go to a MNSSHP party like we were really wanting to we had to book in October as those were the only dates with rooms and party dates. No FD in October. Second, we were on a Bounceback FD offer, less dates offered than the general FD offer. So yes, it's totally possible for others to maybe get lucky. They tried for us but couldn't find anything for us with FD. So we went with October. But I tried haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter