I can’t decide

Elijah Abrams

Mouseketeer
I can’t decide who I should side with in this current proxy battle at Disney. Should I side with Nelson Peltz, who is promising to fix the company, or should I side with Bob Iger, since Walt Disney's grandchildren are supporting him?

Not a shareholder and haven’t been paying attention, but Peltz does not have a great track record. Seems he was mad they fired Chapek?

Peltz is trying to talk a good game, but I don't trust him. He will likely part-out the company for quick profit. He is also being backed by Ike Perlmutter, which is a major red flag! Iger has taken some steps to get things moving in the right direction I think, so I say let him work. That said, remember that ALL of these guys are motivated by shareholder profits. Peltz only wants to increase them (as a major shareholder), so it's really just a matter of who'se strategy to do that aligns with the things you would like to see. Chances are, as Disney fans, we wouldn't like most of it anyway.

I agree, I have little regard for any of these hedge fund/activist type people who want to swoop in and destroy a company for a fast buck and are only in it for short-term profits for themselves. They have no better ideas how to run Disney which is now a large conglomerate of several unrelated businesses. They make a lot of noise but never have any better ways to run whatever business it is. Likely they would just cash out their profit from driving up the stock price then move on to some other company.

Well. Personally I don't like what I see as all the bad decisions made in the last few years - so I am voting against that - all of my shares. Yeah that is right all one of my shares ;).

Luckily I cashed out my shares at a profit a few years back and just have the one framed share on my wall to vote.
Every vote counts...

This is a business, so increasing profit HAS to be at the top of the list. Having said that I do feel it is very important for a business, especially one like Disney, to hold key values of their history on the top line. If Disney forgets their values/history, they will lose the opportunity to maximize a long term profit. These two things have to go hand in hand. Only one side of this discussion is going to do that. So, for me, this is an easy decision.

Well. Personally I don't like what I see as all the bad decisions made in the last few years - so I am voting against that - all of my shares. Yeah that is right all one of my shares ;).

Luckily I cashed out my shares at a profit a few years back and just have the one framed share on my wall to vote.
Every vote counts...
This is a business, so increasing profit HAS to be at the top of the list. Having said that I do feel it is very important for a business, especially one like Disney, to hold key values of their history on the top line. If Disney forgets their values/history, they will lose the opportunity to maximize a long term profit. These two things have to go hand in hand. Only one side of this discussion is going to do that. So, for me, this is an easy decision.
So you guys are on the Peltz side?

So you guys are on the Peltz side?
Its more about voting against the current direction of Disney than voting for Peltz.
Peltz might get one or two seats so I doubt he can actually do all that much in the end.
I don't feel it can be worse and again I've only got one share so its not like its a big thing.

Is the new guy more about running a business than the show?

So very over the behavior, dynamic is now firmly under my skin and I am turning my attention to deselecting based on the circumvention of democracy. Dude's opinion shouldn't matter more than some random guy in the supermarket and the fact there is blatant undo influence, well then, that needs to be undone.

Every vote counts...
It was a tough decision for me.
As a Disney fan, I am disappointed in the direction Disney took beginning with Michael Eisner.
As a Disney Stockholder, well, I've made a lot of money.
At this point of my life, the latter is more important, and I have never seen a Hedge Fund be good for a company.

As a Disney Stockholder, well, I've made a lot of money.
Yeah - but it was a lot more a couple of years ago unless you have gotten in and out a few times.

They continue to loose on the movies and merch as far as I can see - they are making products no one wants for the most part. Then no one buys the toys making the licenses less valuable.

If the moves were making a profit I would feel differently - even if I don't like them personally - but they are not.
The attitude is forget the fan base - we will create a new one - but they are not.

Yeah - but it was a lot more a couple of years ago unless you have gotten in and out a few times.

They continue to loose on the movies and merch as far as I can see - they are making products no one wants for the most part. Then no one buys the toys making the licenses less valuable.

If the moves were making a profit I would feel differently - even if I don't like them personally - but they are not.
The attitude is forget the fan base - we will create a new one - but they are not.
No. I have held for nearly 40 years. So yes, my stock was worth a lot more, but I still have made a LOT of money at the current stock price.

No. I have held for nearly 40 years. So yes, my stock was worth a lot more, but I still have made a LOT of money at the current stock price.
Cool.

So my only other thought is - have they devalued Lucas Film and have they devalued Marvel?
If you think they have - do you think they will fix it?

That's how I would vote.

In the end I have nothing to loose except the nostalgia of Disney - its the one thing they have over Universal that keeps me coming back even though they are whittle away on it.

When I go back to Disney I have the memories of doing these rides with my parents and kids and that is pretty much the only reason I go back...But I am feeling less and less of that every trip. They are obsessed with tearing that down IMO.

With Universal there is none of that, all the rides from back then are gone except ET - so there is no nostalgia.
Still I far prefer Universal and go multiple times a year.

Disney I go every couple of years, and after the last trip ( last week) I have almost no desire to go back.
When Universal open Epic and if Disney keeps doing what they are doing then what is the future of the stock?

Anyway - I am considered one of the Anti - Disney grumpy people so take what I say with a grain of salt, but Id like to see Disney be more of the company you invested in 40 years ago than what it has become.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter