• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020 Spring Break trip to Italy is coming together. Booked our airport hotel in Milan using Hilton points. Waiting for flights to open up in the next month so I can book those as well. I have Airbnbs in Rome and Venice already booked and we will do a day trip to the Amalfi Coast from Rome.

In terms of churning, I’m waiting to get under 5/24 so I can grab some Chase business cards. Looks like I’ll be under in November. For now, I’m using the cards I already have (Chase Sapphire Reserve (travel) and Amex Platinum and Amex BBP for everyday spend). I’m using my Discover It for gas and Chase Freedom for grocery.

What are you planning for airfare? We’re headed for a cruise out of Barcelona in July 2020 and I’m not sure what to focus on earning. We did a combo of United and URs for Lufthansa flights the last time we did a med cruise but with the upcoming United shift that may not work....

So use AncestryDNA. It is an estimate. Also remember that over centuries, border of countries change. Which means yesterday’s Italy could be tomorrow’s France. At least for AncestryDNA, as they update their info, and data base, your results will also update and refine. It may not be exact, but it’s not “all wrong”. It also depends on what you’re looking for. If you want the chance to identify birth family members, it will do that. If you want an estimate of ethnicity, it can do that. If you want an exact breakdown of ethnicity, no one can give you that.
23andMe correctly linked me to my parents & cousins, and was generally pretty accurate with the ethnicity estimate. It also changes as more people join & their algorithms improve. For example, they lump "British & Irish" and "French & German" together because it's too hard to separate them at this point in time. And, when I first signed up it said I had some Eastern European > Polish ancestry, but I knew it should be Slovak & not Polish. A little over a year later, I logged in & saw that it had updated to Slovak. I think the two are so similar that it's hard to pinpoint, but with more relatives on board, it became possible to be more exact. It's not going to tell you that your family is from Egypt when they're really from Russia, though!

If you are looking for a relative & they are part of the service, you will find them, for better or worse.

Thanks. There’s a $150 fee for using CC so I was trying to offset that fee. But I’d rather get something rather than nothing since it’ll be over $20k a year, split into 4 payments. I get back under in Sept/Oct, if not it’s 1/20.

For the Hilton, is that via a dummy booking? Would it be better to self-refer via my Biz Gold for 20k MR? I just want to make sure I can get access to CC # before it automatically withdraws from my checking on 5/1. It will be much easier for 8/1 payment since there will be more time to plan.
I did the dummy booking for the Amex Hilton biz, got instant approval, and was given a temporary card number online as part of the application process, so I could start using it that day. They gave me a generous CL.

The quickest access with the highest MSR will always be Amex. The BBP has a $3k/10k bonus, but doesn't meet your requirements of big bonus. You could go for the 100k/$10k Biz Plat, but you'd still have to cover the other $5k MSR some other way and it has a high AF ($595). You can get the Hilton Biz, which is 125k/$100SC/$3k, but may not be a big bonus depending on how you value Hilton points. There's the Wells Fargo Biz Platinum if you have access to it, big spend but a simple $500 bonus.

The Capital One Biz Spark has always appealed to me, with a $1k bonus after $10k spend, but that's a high spend, Capital One is very difficult to be approved for as a churner, and I think they report to your personal credit (and I sense you're trying to get back under 5/24 since you want biz only).

Yes, that offer is through dummy booking, but the support link is the same just without the statement credit, so you'd be paying $95 for those 20k MR and a 125k/3k offer.
So I went for the dummy booking with SC and, of course, my iPad glitched when I got to part to retrieve my new CC # so I did chat with AmEx to see if they could expedite the card. She said I would have it in 3-5 days so we’ll if I get it in time else I might be applying for another card to pay this darn tuition.

I did the dummy booking for the Amex Hilton biz, got instant approval, and was given a temporary card number online as part of the application process, so I could start using it that day. They gave me a generous CL.
Yeah, I should have been able to get it if my darn iPad had glitched on me...grrr...:(

What are you planning for airfare? We’re headed for a cruise out of Barcelona in July 2020 and I’m not sure what to focus on earning. We did a combo of United and URs for Lufthansa flights the last time we did a med cruise but with the upcoming United shift that may not work....
We are blessed to live in NJ so we have the choice of many major airports. I looked at nonstop flights out of Philly on AA, EWR (United on points or Norwegian using cash since the flights are so cheap) and JFK (Emirates using Amex MR).

I chose JFK and Emirates since the in flight experience is superior to American and United. Delta also flies out of JFK, by the way.

The customer service and in flight experience on Middle Eastern Airlines is superior to our big 3 legacy airlines. The food, legroom, and in flight entertainment options are top notch even in coach which is what we will be doing since I need 4 tickets (2 adults and 2 kids). DH is a nervous flyer so I need non stop, but if you don’t you may have more options. So even though JFK is farther than Newark and Philly, I will use Amtrak points to get to New York and a car service to get us to JFK.

Emirates flies into Milan so I have us arriving a day earlier and a room booked on points so we can rest Day one before we take a high speed train to Rome the next day. Because we are going during Spring Break, the kids will only miss four days for our 11 day trip.

Wow. What a thread!
I too am a Disney nut who likes playing the cc game. Interested in learning additional strategies here (if I can keep up and follow all the abbreviations).

I have:
-Old school GM credit card (5% back on first 10k spend/yr. have saved over $12k on cars as a result)
-Chase Disney Premier (used for DCL & ABD an occasionally groceries if no one else has a promotion running)
-Freedom - always find a way to top off into each 5% category
-Freedom Unlimited is used for daughters college tuition (they don’t charge a cc fee!) and then gets used as the default card once GM gets topped off.
-Sapphire Preferred to access UR points (I think transferring to Southwest is a good use of those URs)
-Uber Card for meals (4%)
-Citi Costco for gas and Costco visits
-Discover It is only used for 5% but have not been religious about it since they had the double points promo w Apple Pay a while back.
-The wife uses Target and GAP cards at those stores and I have a couple other cards that almost never get used

I am religious about taking advantage of ChasePay cross promotions w their cards at ShopRite as well as some of the other additional discounts by making purchased thru their site or the ones I see on their app.

Let me know if there is any suggestions you guys have.

Wow. What a thread!
I too am a Disney nut who likes playing the cc game. Interested in learning additional strategies here (if I can keep up and follow all the abbreviations).

I have:
-Old school GM credit card (5% back on first 10k spend/yr. have saved over $12k on cars as a result)
-Chase Disney Premier (used for DCL & ABD an occasionally groceries if no one else has a promotion running)
-Freedom Unlimited is used for daughters college tuition (they don’t charge a cc fee!) and then gets used as the default card once GM gets topped off.
-Sapphire Preferred to access UR points (I think transferring to Southwest is a good use of those URs)
-Discover It is only used for 5% but have not been religious about it since they had the double points promo w Apple Pay a while back.
-The wife uses Target and GAP cards at those stores and I have a couple other cards that almost never get used

I am religious about taking advantage of ChasePay cross promotions w their cards at ShopRite as well as some of the other additional discounts by making purchased thru their site or the ones I see on their app.

Hi and Welcome...:wave:
If you could list the dates you opened the cards it would help us know if you are eligible to apply for more Chase cards....do the same for your wife as well

Chase has a 5/24 rule meaning they will not approve you for their cards if you have applied for 5 or more personal credit cards from any issuer in the last 24 months..authorized users on cards count as well...if you are not sure..look on credit karma for opening dates

If you are under 5/24...I would recommend starting with Chase business cards opening one every 3 months they have high UR sign up bonus and along with your wife you can each open cards
The Chase Ink Preferred has a 80k UR bonus after spending 5k in the first 3 months if you open one then refer your wife..you received a 20k bonus and your wife gets the 80k sign up bonus as well....after completing the spends on both cards you would have 190k URs to use for travel or cash out
Other business cards the CIC and CIU offer a 50k UR bonus after a 3k spend in the first 3 months
Another option if you fly SW a lot is to go for the companion pass by opening a SW business and personal card...you need to earn 110k RR points in the same calendar year to receive it

Last edited:
Wow. What a thread!

I have:

:welcome:

You have a nice base to start from. I think the biggest strategy we'd suggest is going for sign up bonuses over maximizing category spending. They are going to give you the biggest return on your spend. The best I see in your lineup is 5% return, whereas sign up bonuses are usually at least 10% and can go up to 40%.

I think most on the thread employ that strategy but some do a mix of sign up and categories, and not one is better than the other for each personal situation. So it'll come down to where your comfort level is. We'd be happy to discuss either way with you.

One note, I see that you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) to "access UR points". I just want to make sure you are aware that your Freedom (CF) and Freedom Unlimited (CFU) also earn UR points and they can both be transferred to your CSP to get the better benefits like the 1.25 redemption rate on travel through Chase travel and transferring to travel partners. Also, how long have you had the CSP? If it's been more than 4 years since you earned a sign up bonus on it you could cancel/change it and then reapply for the sign up bonus again.

Same idea with your Discover card, except it doesn't have to be 4 years :) How many Discover cards do you have? They'll let you have 2 and you'll get the first year cash back match on a new one so 10% back on those 5% categories. So you don't have to necessarily close your existing card to do this. If you're interested we could help plan out a strategy of new cards to boost those numbers. Would your wife be playing too? (aka Player 2, or P2 for short) Double the players double the fun (and bonuses!) :laughing:

:offtopic:
Back to toiletry bags... I remember talk about Sephora selling a reusable quart bag. Does anyone use something similar from somewhere else, like Amazon or Ulta? I think I'd like one but the closest Sephora to me is almost half an hour away.

It looks like you can determine whether you’ll suffer a Chase shutdown based on this frame of mind:

View attachment 395359

Literally, when asked whether he read about bustout risk, he said, “I just skimmed it.” :rotfl2:

0e15cf2120a9803b7d20eddd1aa5d89e.jpg

Then he says the only good thing is he hasn’t touched Amex yet. Oooh boy, if he thinks Chase is being tough, he hasn’t seen an Amex pop up yet.

Hi and Welcome...:wave:
If you could list the dates you opened the cards it would help us know if you are eligible to apply for more Chase cards....do the same for your wife as well

Chase has a 5/24 rule meaning they will not approve you for their cards if you have applied for 5 or more personal credit cards from any issuer in the last 24 months..authorized users on cards count as well...if you are not sure..look on credit karma for opening dates

If you are under 5/24...I would recommend starting with Chase business cards opening one every 3 months they have high UR sign up bonus and along with your wife you can each open cards
The Chase Ink Preferred has a 80k UR bonus after spending 5k in the first 3 months if you open one then refer your wife..you received a 20k bonus and your wife gets the 80k sign up bonus as well....after completing the spends on both cards you would have 190k URs to use for travel or cash out
Other business cards the CIC and CIU offer a 50k UR bonus after a 3k spend in the first 3 months
Another option if you fly SW a lot is to go for the companion pass by opening a SW business and personal card...you need to earn 110k RR points in the same calendar year to receive it

I am under 5/24, but have been spooked to open more Chase cards as when I opened the CFU (in summer 2017) I was initially denied (even though I have no mortgage, no debt and actually make a very handsome wage... from Chase no less)… then got a call from Chase saying if I was willing to give up 10 grand (or so) in credit limit on another Chase card that they would approve the CFU - which I did. I may give Ink a shot...

And while I am not in a big SW city (Im in NY) I like their product - and the exchange rate to fly on points w them is attractive.
:welcome:

You have a nice base to start from. I think the biggest strategy we'd suggest is going for sign up bonuses over maximizing category spending. They are going to give you the biggest return on your spend. The best I see in your lineup is 5% return, whereas sign up bonuses are usually at least 10% and can go up to 40%.

I think most on the thread employ that strategy but some do a mix of sign up and categories, and not one is better than the other for each personal situation. So it'll come down to where your comfort level is. We'd be happy to discuss either way with you.

One note, I see that you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) to "access UR points". I just want to make sure you are aware that your Freedom (CF) and Freedom Unlimited (CFU) also earn UR points and they can both be transferred to your CSP to get the better benefits like the 1.25 redemption rate on travel through Chase travel and transferring to travel partners. Also, how long have you had the CSP? If it's been more than 4 years since you earned a sign up bonus on it you could cancel/change it and then reapply for the sign up bonus again.

Same idea with your Discover card, except it doesn't have to be 4 years :) How many Discover cards do you have? They'll let you have 2 and you'll get the first year cash back match on a new one so 10% back on those 5% categories. So you don't have to necessarily close your existing card to do this. If you're interested we could help plan out a strategy of new cards to boost those numbers. Would your wife be playing too? (aka Player 2, or P2 for short) Double the players double the fun (and bonuses!) :laughing:
I am totally aware of transferring my URs around - and generally to the CSP to I can transfer to SW, I did use the 1.25 redemption rate for flights I used to Italy for an ABD - I've been thinking to upgrade to CSR to get 1.50... but since I have been transferring to SW instead which I find better than 1.25 in value...
I did get the 60kUR Sapphire Checking deal a few months back which was nice.

So do you guys keep cards far beyond the promotion or do you eventually dump them to keep credit limits reasonable to the next issuer? I have excellent credit, but have no need to access credit in the near future, so I don't mind taking a small hit in the credit score if it can benefit me in the short term.

I imagine if I closed CSP (first transferring the UR to CFU or CF) and waited a few months I could get CSR w UR bonus.. But I would hate to get denied and lose the ability to use of UR points for travel.

I only have one Discover Card. My wife is not into the weeds w this cc stuff, but she plays along and follows instructions well (use this card for groceries and this card for gas.. etc)

Hello all! I was drawn here by the FIRE thread :)

I am going to be looking to up my credit card game here in a few weeks (I've got to wait for my dad's house to sell and the estate to distribute; closing is next month and I'm the executor so I feel pretty confident about the timeline). I am going to be doing yearly trips to Europe starting in a year or so (taking one kid at a time on a "memory trip"), and I'd like to get max value for that.

Current lineup:
Navy Federal CU card (earns 1.5%) opened 8/08 21K limit (will lower this before I start playing the game but I'm currently running this pretty high for low interest until the estate distributes then it will get paid off)
Cap1 quicksilver (1.5%) opened 1/09 10.5K limit
Chase Disney Visa opened 9/13 4k limit
Amex BCP opened 5/15 3200 limit
Discover IT opened 9/15 5500 limit
Chase SW Premier opened 1/16 13k limit
USAA basic CC opened 12/16 2500 limit (would not hurt my feelings to close this, although my son 3 states away has it to use in emergencies)

I'm closer to Indy (little over an hour) than Chicago (3 hours), so I usually fly IND, almost always SW. I can do 2500 a month in regular spend easily, not including vacation funds, a bathroom that needs remodeled or doing any MS, plus I have a 850/mo mortgage. I don't have a car payment. I used plastiq a little with VGC I got during the apple pay/discover promo 3.5 years ago (man, those were the days), but nothing since (I do seem to still have an account). The only new credit I've had in 2 years is my mortgage. I do not have a P2, although I do have some young adults I could bring into the picture if it was lucrative enough :D (dd22 has a steady job from being an LPN and is an AU on the Disney card, ds19 is in the army, and DS18 is in college and an AU on SW card).

I've followed doc loosely for a few years, and have never done anything on reddit before, so could use some info there. Advice appreciated :)

Hello all! I was drawn here by the FIRE thread :)

I am going to be looking to up my credit card game here in a few weeks (I've got to wait for my dad's house to sell and the estate to distribute; closing is next month and I'm the executor so I feel pretty confident about the timeline). I am going to be doing yearly trips to Europe starting in a year or so (taking one kid at a time on a "memory trip"), and I'd like to get max value for that.

Current lineup:
Navy Federal CU card (earns 1.5%) opened 8/08 21K limit (will lower this before I start playing the game but I'm currently running this pretty high for low interest until the estate distributes then it will get paid off)
Cap1 quicksilver (1.5%) opened 1/09 10.5K limit
Chase Disney Visa opened 9/13 4k limit
Amex BCP opened 5/15 3200 limit
Discover IT opened 9/15 5500 limit
Chase SW Premier opened 1/16 13k limit
USAA basic CC opened 12/16 2500 limit (would not hurt my feelings to close this, although my son 3 states away has it to use in emergencies)

I'm closer to Indy (little over an hour) than Chicago (3 hours), so I usually fly IND, almost always SW. I can do 2500 a month in regular spend easily, not including vacation funds, a bathroom that needs remodeled or doing any MS, plus I have a 850/mo mortgage. I don't have a car payment. I used plastiq a little with VGC I got during the apple pay/discover promo 3.5 years ago (man, those were the days), but nothing since (I do seem to still have an account). The only new credit I've had in 2 years is my mortgage. I do not have a P2, although I do have some young adults I could bring into the picture if it was lucrative enough :D (dd22 has a steady job from being an LPN and is an AU on the Disney card, ds19 is in the army, and DS18 is in college and an AU on SW card).

I've followed doc loosely for a few years, and have never done anything on reddit before, so could use some info there. Advice appreciated :)

WHOA! WELCOME, @DIS_MERI !!!
:earseek::welcome::earseek:
Long time no see!

:offtopic:
Back to toiletry bags... I remember talk about Sephora selling a reusable quart bag. Does anyone use something similar from somewhere else, like Amazon or Ulta? I think I'd like one but the closest Sephora to me is almost half an hour away.

I just bought Itzy Ritzy reusable snack bags on Amazon. They sell sandwich sized bags as well. Both could easily be used for makeup/toiletries. They zip closed and can be washed out. Cute designs too! I bought them for food, but I'm thinking I'll use one as a makeup bag on our next trip (I was feeling guilty about the plastic use). I paid $12.99 for 2 of the snack size. The sandwich size bags are $9 - $10 each.

I just bought Itzy Ritzy reusable snack bags on Amazon. They sell sandwich sized bags as well. Both could easily be used for makeup/toiletries. They zip closed and can be washed out. Cute designs too! I bought them for food, but I'm thinking I'll use one as a makeup bag on our next trip (I was feeling guilty about the plastic use). I paid $12.99 for 2 of the snack size. The sandwich size bags are $9 - $10 each.
They have a dog pattern I see now and I want it even though so far the size I've seen is 11x14 so not what I need at all :rotfl: uhhh dirty laundry bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter