I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am under 5/24, but have been spooked to open more Chase cards as when I opened the CFU (in summer 2017) I was initially denied (even though I have no mortgage, no debt and actually make a very handsome wage... from Chase no less)… then got a call from Chase saying if I was willing to give up 10 grand (or so) in credit limit on another Chase card that they would approve the CFU - which I did. I may give Ink a shot...

And while I am not in a big SW city (Im in NY) I like their product - and the exchange rate to fly on points w them is attractive.

I am totally aware of transferring my URs around - and generally to the CSP to I can transfer to SW, I did use the 1.25 redemption rate for flights I used to Italy for an ABD - I've been thinking to upgrade to CSR to get 1.50... but since I have been transferring to SW instead which I find better than 1.25 in value...
I did get the 60kUR Sapphire Checking deal a few months back which was nice.

So do you guys keep cards far beyond the promotion or do you eventually dump them to keep credit limits reasonable to the next issuer? I have excellent credit, but have no need to access credit in the near future, so I don't mind taking a small hit in the credit score if it can benefit me in the short term.

I imagine if I closed CSP (first transferring the UR to CFU or CF) and waited a few months I could get CSR w UR bonus.. But I would hate to get denied and lose the ability to use of UR points for travel.

I only have one Discover Card. My wife is not into the weeds w this cc stuff, but she plays along and follows instructions well (use this card for groceries and this card for gas.. etc)

Excellent, it was just the wording you used when describing the CSP that made me want to double check. Because of the way they market the Freedom cards not everyone connects the dots that they are in fact UR points the same as the Sapphire cards. Transferring to SW, and even other partners like Hyatt, will most times exceed that 1.25 multiplier so it is a handy card.

I wouldn't be spooked by the CFU denial. It sounds like you just reached the credit to income ratio they wanted to extend to you and that's what held up the card. Since you say reducing your credit limit (CL) got you the card, if you manage your Chase CL's properly you should be able to open many more. Generally recommendation for easiest approval is to be less than 50% of credit to income. This is across all your Chase cards - co-brands, business, and personal. If you have 5 Chase cards, say, add up their CL's and then divide by the income you use on the applications (which should be household income, but I know everyone plays different. I only started doing HHI recently myself). If you are over that 50% mark then you can proactively reduce CL's in advance of application to smooth the process out. Chase has a history of giving me about 60% of reported income so I reduce to somewhere in the 40% range and so far (knock wood) it's been working for each new card approval so that I don't have to speak with anyone for an approval.

As for CL's overall, there are some issuers that are sensitive to credit extended to you by others, but Chase is mostly concerned with what they've given you and not necessarily anyone else. I think AmEx is mostly the same way. There are some behaviors that can deem you a higher risk that would put eyes on your overall limits but for the most part you can treat each issuer as it's own silo. If you have a strong credit score to begin with and a reasonably long history, then opening new cards should have a minor hit on your credit score. I'm not hard core, but over the last year opened a mix of 7 business (that don't report to my personal credit report but have an inquiry listed) and personal cards and my score hasn't changed. The only thing that lowered it was using the 0% interest on the new Discover card to float some money. It increased my utilization and I took a small hit for a month or two until I paid it back down to my normal utilization percentage. I haven't dropped below 800 the whole time, on either scoring model. If you go hard core and start opening lots of cards in a short time you can move the needle but most people with established credit who play the game don't see too much of an effect.

As for keeping the cards, it all depends on if you'll find ongoing value in it. If it has an annual fee (AF) then I make sure I'm getting more value out of the card than what I'm paying for it. If it doesn't, then it can't hurt to keep it open even if I'm not using it. If it's got a fee and I can't find future value from it, then I'll close it or see if there's a way to change it into something without a fee.

As for your CSP you don't necessarily have to close it if you are concerned, you just can't be holding it at the time of application; so you can downgrade it to a CF/CFU and if you happen to be denied you can upgrade it back to the CSP. Also, you can upgrade one of your Freedom cards to a CSP or CSR anytime after the first year if you have the minimum CL needed to open one, 5k for the CSP and 10k for the CSR. So you don't have to worry much about losing the ability to transfer to partners, even if you got denied.

Surprised TPG hasn't found and figured out a way to work with this product for all the posts about whose armrest is it. Not sure if it's a good idea or not and if I'd be happy that someone was still invading my space with it but at least they shouldn't be touching me, maybe.

81CsUPqdIuL._SY88.jpg

FA on our last flight stated that the middle seat gets the arm rests...guess she gets asked all the time and decided to share it after the safety briefing. Survival of the fittest when it comes to those arm rests.

Ok, I thought I was going to have to call AmEx and plead my case for them to raise my credit limit so I could cover my tuition reimbursement employee benefit since when I initially looked the CL was ridiculously low. But I just looked again and my business thriving!

Perhaps the initial number was the temporary CL? When we did the dummy booking for the Hilton Biz they gave an instant card number but only gave a 1k CL for it and stated after the card was received we'd have access to the full CL.

DH was auto approved for the Citi AA biz. Went with the 40k, $250 statement credit. Dumb question: I can book flights with the $250 credit right? We are going to Cancun in Nov for a long weekend with a few other couples. AA flies direct and the flight costs just under $250 for one way nonstop. Seems like the best use of the credit right? Or do I need to get a gc and use that?

:offtopic:
Back to toiletry bags... I remember talk about Sephora selling a reusable quart bag. Does anyone use something similar from somewhere else, like Amazon or Ulta? I think I'd like one but the closest Sephora to me is almost half an hour away.

No experience with other bags but there is a sephora at DS if you can wait/are going there on a trip.

Can anyone who has been to London and Paris give some advice please.
Have a relative getting married in London but want to see some of Paris
and DisParis also.

Is it better to fly into London and take train to Paris for a few days or vice versa?
I don't really see any options for free stopovers or flying back from diff city as it is
expensive.

My initial thought was fly into London spend first night at airport hotel to catch up
oh sleep then take train to Paris next morning. After a few days train back to London
to sightsee/wedding next few days. Is this the most time/cost effective? 4 ppl going.

Thanks!

My DH is headed home as well. I don't think he has ever been sent home from work over storms. Ugh.
My kids have a half day but dd still won't be home until 2. Last time we had tornadoes they came very close to her school which is about to be torn down and a huff and a puff would definitely blow it down:(

DH was auto approved for the Citi AA biz. Went with the 40k, $250 statement credit. Dumb question: I can book flights with the $250 credit right? We are going to Cancun in Nov for a long weekend with a few other couples. AA flies direct and the flight costs just under $250 for one way nonstop. Seems like the best use of the credit right? Or do I need to get a gc and use that?
You can use the credit for the flight. I went with the gc because I don't fly AA, but if you have a flight use for it I'd do that.

Just finished setting up the account for DS’s private school tuition. It looks like they will accept a CC for payment but I would need to be towards a MSR for a nice bonus to make it worthwhile and the card needs to be in my name and not DH’s since the payment is linked to my account. So with a $5k looming for 5/1, I need to quickly find a non Chase Biz card (since I’m 6/24) that I can get quick access to. The only Biz I have are the AmEx Gold and SPG. Any recommendations?
are you on the grAAvy train?

I am under 5/24, but have been spooked to open more Chase cards as when I opened the CFU (in summer 2017) I was initially denied (even though I have no mortgage, no debt and actually make a very handsome wage... from Chase no less)… then got a call from Chase saying if I was willing to give up 10 grand (or so) in credit limit on another Chase card that they would approve the CFU - which I did. I may give Ink a shot...

And while I am not in a big SW city (Im in NY) I like their product - and the exchange rate to fly on points w them is attractive.

I am totally aware of transferring my URs around - and generally to the CSP to I can transfer to SW, I did use the 1.25 redemption rate for flights I used to Italy for an ABD - I've been thinking to upgrade to CSR to get 1.50... but since I have been transferring to SW instead which I find better than 1.25 in value...
I did get the 60kUR Sapphire Checking deal a few months back which was nice.

So do you guys keep cards far beyond the promotion or do you eventually dump them to keep credit limits reasonable to the next issuer? I have excellent credit, but have no need to access credit in the near future, so I don't mind taking a small hit in the credit score if it can benefit me in the short term.

I imagine if I closed CSP (first transferring the UR to CFU or CF) and waited a few months I could get CSR w UR bonus.. But I would hate to get denied and lose the ability to use of UR points for travel.

I only have one Discover Card. My wife is not into the weeds w this cc stuff, but she plays along and follows instructions well (use this card for groceries and this card for gas.. etc)

Since Chase moved around credit on the last application Definitely lower your limits on existing cards prior to apply for the Ink...Chase likes to see under 50% of household income or around a max of 70-80k

When did you get the bonus your CSP...it’s needs to be more than 48 months since to apply for another Sapphire card

I keep no fee cards and close those with a fee I’m not using after 1 year

and DisParis also.

Is it better to fly into London and take train to Paris for a few days or vice versa?
I don't really see any options for free stopovers or flying back from diff city as it is
expensive.

My initial thought was fly into London spend first night at airport hotel to catch up
oh sleep then take train to Paris next morning. After a few days train back to London
to sightsee/wedding next few days. Is this the most time/cost effective? 4 ppl going.

Thanks!

My French club did this in high school. Flew to London for couple days, onto Paris via the Chunnel. It was a fun time. Of course, in high school being out of the country without parents most anything would be fun.

and DisParis also.

expensive.

Thanks!

We lived in a London until recently and even made the DLP to London journey this past Christmas. For us, a flight from the US to London is typically cheaper than to Paris. However, that depends on where you are flying from. I advise checking Google flights and Skyscanner to see what is best for your timing and point of origin.

As for train or flight to/fro London, both are very easy. The train tends to be a slightly faster due to the abbreviated time you need for security and immigration on both ends. However, believe it or not, flights tend to be cheaper. Look at a low cost flier like easyJet, but even BA and Air France have very competitive rates. The train is very laid back, and upon arrival into Paris, you would take another train out to Marne le Cheesy (sp?). It is simple. Just download the Citymapper app and it will tell you which train to take from Gare du Nord, the Eurostar train arrival in Paris. There are also kiosks everywhere and assistants that will be glad to assist you. Flights into CDG are also an easy transfer. You can either take the Disney bus or go downstairs in the airport and take the train. It runs every half hour and literally takes 10 minutes to get to Marne le Cheesy.

Either way, DLP is so much fun. It is certainly not WDW, but we go when we just can’t make it until our next visit to WDW. Enjoy your trip.

I just ordered these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CLQ3H1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_slFUCb4HEEES9

Idk if that’s what you’re talking about
I was debating that style vs the flat ones... I ended up getting both...
and DisParis also.

expensive.

Thanks!
I took the train from London to Paris a few years ago. I would consider flying into Paris if you want to start there, then fly home from London. I just don't see a reason to take the train twice for the most part. We went to Paris for a few days in the middle of our trip. The trip itself is a little over two hours, and then you have boarding time/security etc. One thing we wished we'd planned differently is to not take the train twice like that, but we added Paris later. We would have rather started in London and flown home from Paris. Also we had the unfortunate issue of a train breakdown in the tunnel, which delayed our train back to London by almost two hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter