I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First AmEx means they definitely did a hard pull. Which is an inquiry that shows up on your credit report and can affect your credit score (usually just temporarily). As opposed to a soft pull, which means they checked but it doesn't show up on your credit report.

I wonder if I can do an anniversary gift registry! Or birthday?? I'm going to be resorting to paying the kids tuition with CC soon and that's at 2.85%.
Ah okay that makes sense

Tell me your secrets on how to find award availability... hahaha. But that is helpful, thanks! I need to sit down and look at it more. Definitely seemed better from JFK and we could do flights up there or to LAX if necessary. I would honestly rather fly direct than connect in Heathrow since I think most of the flights were like a weird get in at midnight, fly out at 6 AM, and it's like what do I do in those hours?

My friend has a Friesian, they are beautiful!

My little guy was playing around with me this weekend and struck this pose for everyone to admire.

View attachment 380524

First I find out when an airlines releases award space which may be different than it's partner airline. For example BA award space is released at 354 days out and is the place where I will need to search for the JAL award flight. However, JAL doesn't release award flights until 330 days out. So that is when I'd start looking.

We've made use of booking a Cabana at the Concorde lounge when flying in first on BA and had a long layover. For the Maldives trip, we connect in Dubai at 9:30 at night and don't fly out until the next morning. So we booked an airport hotel and will sleep at a hotel near the gate.

OMG! SO adorable!

So is everybody here just calling this "Other Income" and not self employment income? I feel pretty strongly that this is not SE income but I keep pausing on this question.
I'm behind so sorry if already concluded on. Definitely not self employment income. If it is reported in box 3 Other Income, it can be reported as non SE and could be compared to a prize or award.. if in box 5 Nonemployee Compensation then it is almost always SE income unless the issuer made an error. Calling something SE income results in SS and Medicare taxes, just like your wages from your job. I love churning/travel hacking but I would never consider it a form of employment

Speaking of 1099s... has anyone received any from Fidelity for the $200 bank account bonus most of us did early in 2018? I always get a 1099 for my bank bonuses but this one hasn't shown up.

Also, I got my DVC membership number today!!!
So I can download a 1099 from Fidelity but it doesn't show the bonus, it's weird. I posted about last week - https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...r-addl-details.3729982/page-120#post-60187949 - so maybe you can check the tax page to see what they did for you.

I agree it is making me nervous too. We are right on the edge of a higher tax bracket so if my minimal added income puts us in a higher tax bracket that will be bad. No 1099’s yet but sure they are coming. Maybe not from Chase but probably from Amex since they are sending it for everything. If I am going to get ones I hope they come soon. Depending on the impact I will definitely be on the side of the referrals not being worth it to me.
Only dollars in the next tax bracket are subject to the next tax rate. So if $0-$10,000 is taxed at 10% and $10,001-$15,000 is taxed at 15%, and your income is $11,000, only $1,000 is taxed at 15%. Your tax is $1,150 (10%x$10000 + 15%x$1000).

I'm behind so sorry if already concluded on. Definitely not self employment income. If it is reported in box 3 Other Income, it can be reported as non SE and could be compared to a prize or award.. if in box 5 Nonemployee Compensation then it is almost always SE income unless the issuer made an error. Calling something SE income results in SS and Medicare taxes, just like your wages from your job. I love churning/travel hacking but I would never consider it a form of employment
Thanks! That certainly was where I stood on it too, but hearing validation from fellow DISers is helpful! I just have to keep reminding myself that this tax mess was totally worth it...What I got out of it is far better than what it cost me, and if I want to cover the "cost" I can just attribute cash back to that cause!

Thanks! That certainly was where I stood on it too, but hearing validation from fellow DISers is helpful! I just have to keep reminding myself that this tax mess was totally worth it...What I got out of it is far better than what it cost me, and if I want to cover the "cost" I can just attribute cash back to that cause!
I would agree. I would love to have 1/2 the support clicks you got LOL. I will never turn down money/equivalent just because of taxes...unless tax rates are 100% you always come out ahead (unless you disagree with valuations but that's another story). Same as my advice to my clients about saving on taxes...I would never advise a purchase just to "save taxes". You are spending a dollar to save 25 cents, or whatever your rate is.

Trying to figure out if I should play a wait and see approach or if I have to deal with actually calling someone about my SW Biz Bonus. I hit my $3000MS on January 2. But my statement date was Jan. 3, so too close to appear on that statement. Lesson learned and had to wait till February 3 to book my flights. Well my points still aren’t showing with Southwest! I can see them on my chase statement but can’t on SW? Do I have to wait till March 3 for some reason. The bill comes due on the 28th of every month. Should that be when they post, and if so will that be Feb 28? I would have thought if that was the case they would have posted Jan 28? I’m hoping I make sense to you all so that I can avoid a phone call! Lol

Trying to figure out if I should play a wait and see approach or if I have to deal with actually calling someone about my SW Biz Bonus. I hit my $3000MS on January 2. But my statement date was Jan. 3, so too close to appear on that statement. Lesson learned and had to wait till February 3 to book my flights. Well my points still aren’t showing with Southwest! I can see them on my chase statement but can’t on SW? Do I have to wait till March 3 for some reason. The bill comes due on the 28th of every month. Should that be when they post, and if so will that be Feb 28? I would have thought if that was the case they would have posted Jan 28? I’m hoping I make sense to you all so that I can avoid a phone call! Lol

That doesn't seem right. I think you need to call. My SW Biz statement closed on 1/21 and the points were in my Southwest account on 1/23. My SW Priority points on the other hand...I think I cut it too close and meeting MSR 3 full days prior to statement close was not enough so they're not on my statement.

ETA: Didn't read closely enough - listen to SFF and GusGus below. Statement closing date is what's important, not the statement due date.

Last edited:
I would agree. I would love to have 1/2 the support clicks you got LOL. I will never turn down money/equivalent just because of taxes...unless tax rates are 100% you always come out ahead (unless you disagree with valuations but that's another story). Same as my advice to my clients about saving on taxes...I would never advise a purchase just to "save taxes". You are spending a dollar to save 25 cents, or whatever your rate is.
My biggest frustration is hitting a phase out on IRA deduction and thus I will have to pay 22% on some money that I was expecting to offset. Oh well! (Still not upset about the clicks :))

Give it until tomorrow to post, mine took 2 days from the closing date. YMMV.

What date is the Chase stmt you see the points on? It sounds like it’s dated Feb 3rd which means you would likely see those points in your SW acct in the next day or 2.

Just closed my Citi AA biz. When I called in to cancel, she offered me 1000 miles for the next 16 billing cycles if I spent $1000 in each billing cycle. Not enough to keep me, obviously, but just thought I'd throw that out there that maybe wants to keep that card and put a lot of spend on it for some reason.

Now to sign the dog... I mean, my son... up for an AA account and hope the mailers start coming in. Good thing his name is Russell.
I just signed my dog up for a business account, and just moments after creating his account I realized I put in his real birthday. He's 5 years old. I wonder what the chances are of getting business mailers for a 5 year old?

I got dh's Chase 1099 today and it's right on all but one card. Chase counted two clicks and I did get two (one from IRL friend, one from here) but the one from here never posted. I just let it go, of course, but now I am irritated. I'm going to go back through the statements to make sure I did not somehow miss the points. Would you guys suggest I contact Chase or just not worry about it? FWIW, it's $100 in income. I've not received my Chase 1099 yet.

@SouthFayetteFan I completely agree with you. Getting the support is worth more than the taxes we will have to pay. It's just a bummer since this isn't the way it's been done before and we were unprepared for this addition to our taxes. Otherwise, I will not be removing my links and I welcome the support!

I just signed my dog up for a business account, and just moments after creating his account I realized I put in his real birthday. He's 5 years old. I wonder what the chances are of getting business mailers for a 5 year old?
:rotfl:Maybe he's starting a 'pet sitting' business lol! My 7yo is starting to pet sit for a neighbor (with adult supervision, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter