I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you're struggling with this. This is exactly the issue I had with AA and trying to book a BA flight. I was trying to explain it here but I don't think I posted in a way that made it clear. I do hope you can get a flight. This is the reason I used MRs for last summer's fight home instead of my AA miles. I was concerned all the award seats would be gone but they won't let you book until their flights are available, which I think is ridiculous.

Ooh - good idea. Thanks for the head's up on this one!

Didn't find any home improvement. They had Spafinder, Hotels.com, Bath and Body Works, Sephora plus a couple more I can't remember.

We had a pretty fun day today. We went to Dave and busters which was busy but we still played everything we wanted. Then we did both character warehouses at the two outlet malls. The one on international drive was much easier to park at. We parked near the back and just walked which was super easy. The Vineland outlet was horrendous as far as parking goes. We ended up just paying the $3 with their app to park.

The stores didn’t have tons of things I liked but I did get two things. I got a Dory hat for $5! I also got a sweatshirt for $18. Dh got a pair of boxers and a Star Wars mug (the mug was $3!). Now we’re at the doubletree near Disney springs and so far I like it. The room is HUGE. I wanted a phone case but the majority of them were 6/7 and I have an 8

Attachments

• 284929D5-A021-4BFF-BCA9-747F93001273.jpeg
    284929D5-A021-4BFF-BCA9-747F93001273.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 1A221DCA-5203-40BB-B034-5AED4305CBC3.jpeg
    1A221DCA-5203-40BB-B034-5AED4305CBC3.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 28

We had a pretty fun day today. We went to Dave and busters which was busy but we still played everything we wanted. Then we did both character warehouses at the two outlet malls. The one on international drive was much easier to park at. We parked near the back and just walked which was super easy. The Vineland outlet was horrendous as far as parking goes. We ended up just paying the $3 with their app to park.

The stores didn’t have tons of things I liked but I did get two things. I got a Dory hat for $5! I also got a sweatshirt for $18. Dh got a pair of boxers and a Star Wars mug (the mug was $3!). Now we’re at the doubletree near Disney springs and so far I like it. The room is HUGE. I wanted a phone case but the majority of them were 6/7 and I have an 8
I thought the 8 used the same size case as the 6 and 7?

I want to say that I'm sorry so many people were hit by the AMEX clawback today. :sad2: I think it's ridiculous to turn back the clock and take points away. No email here, and I don't think either DH or I self referred but with so many cards and referring one another back and forth I'm not entirely sure. I hope that the large number of customers they are taking issue with will mean that they won't bother sending the RAT in for a closer look at everyone.

OT: have any of you ever arrived late to your resort, like midnight or later? How was the checkin process? Also how did you plan the next day? Lazy morning with afternoon/evening park plans or did you rally and just go through with a regular park day?

We've checked in late on several occasions (the worst was 2:30am with a toddler and a grandparent thanks to United being stupid) and somehow just hit the ground running and were there for rope drop every time. I'm not sure I'd do that at this point, though.

Wait- do we have @amalone1013 's DH's name?! Did I miss it? How long has this been a thing?!

We’ve been affectionately calling Zack the Lounge Lord since @amalone1013 told us he insists on carrying his Priority Pass card everywhere he goes, you know, on the off chance he finds himself at the airport. I figure it’s better than the Creeper in the Van.

We’ve been affectionately calling Zack the Lounge Lord since @amalone1013 told us he insists on carrying his Priority Pass card everywhere he goes, you know, on the off chance he finds himself at the airport. I figure it’s better than the Creeper in the Van.

My DH doesn't want a special name, but he might have just booked a business trip on Delta instead of AA or UA just so he would have decent lounge access. :rolleyes1 They all cost about the same, and all had unfortunate stops far away, so that ended up being the deciding factor.

I wanted a phone case but the majority of them were 6/7 and I have an 8
The iPhone 6/6s/7/8 are so similar in size (2mm difference max) that it most likely would have fit an 8. It may have just been old packaging or something. The newer designs have a bigger camera hole and show them fitting all models. If you find one you really like, you could try seeing if it actually works with your phone before buying it!

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 9.26.18 PM.png

Reading through this thread and the one on Reddit and I'm not sure how to handle the news of this MR clawback. I have about 34K MR, 15k of which would be subject to clawback from my single self-referral. Do I cash out for gift cards (I can get $425 in Home Depot gift cards right now, which would be helpful once we close on a house) right away, or hold on to see if I can sneak under the radar in hopes I can redeem for something fun and travel-related later? What are y'all thinking?

I'm sorry you're struggling with this. This is exactly the issue I had with AA and trying to book a BA flight. I was trying to explain it here but I don't think I posted in a way that made it clear. I do hope you can get a flight. This is the reason I used MRs for last summer's fight home instead of my AA miles. I was concerned all the award seats would be gone but they won't let you book until their flights are available, which I think is ridiculous.

Ooh - good idea. Thanks for the head's up on this one!

Thanks! I’m just hoping that I can somehow miraculously get some end of June flights or beginning of July flights since maybe more people will be holding out to go to the Olympics. I mean, regardless I can get premium economy sears which seem to always have plenty of availability. But I’ve saved for first and would like to get that lol. Worst case scenario, I have a bunch of AA miles left for us to use to try to get to Hawaii next year too

I have been thinking about it with Amex and claw back. What makes me mad about it.
  • Amex system has allowed it for a period of what 8 months? It is only now they are clawing points back? Does their system still allow it? If so that doubles down on the insult.
  • The tax issue. It doesn’t personally effect me since I was under and never got a 1099 but it is still ridiculous and for customers to have to deal with now is beyond insulting.
  • Self referrals are usually by smart interested churners (customers) who don’t have a P2. Single people prejudice!
  • The real problem I see is the big blogs like TPG that are raking it in all the time. They don’t have any repercussions at all.
I planned to get a Plat and then have DH start getting the MR cards. I am rather done with that now. I hope this seriously backfires on them. Haven’t they ever heard of trying to build good will? Just make it explicit that self referrals are not allowed. That vague “gaming the system” in their “sole discretion” irks me beyond measure.

Reading through this thread and the one on Reddit and I'm not sure how to handle the news of this MR clawback. I have about 34K MR, 15k of which would be subject to clawback from my single self-referral. Do I cash out for gift cards (I can get $425 in Home Depot gift cards right now, which would be helpful once we close on a house) right away, or hold on to see if I can sneak under the radar in hopes I can redeem for something fun and travel-related later? What are y'all thinking?

I would attempt to cash out. I think there are some reports of that not working now. But it could be that you would end up with a negative balance like @striker1064. Are you done with Amex? Or do you want to keep going?

I can confirm that the $250 resort credit can be used towards the room cost. We did this over spring break and combined it with one of the AMEX spend $XXX receive $XX deals that we were each able to save on our Aspire cards.

If you're interested in a resort in SoCal, I highly recommend the Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort in Huntington Beach. It has a fun pool, it's right across from the beach and about 30min from DLR. That's where we used our resort credits.

I would also like to know about the free nights. I have one that will expire in March and I'm trying to figure out where to spend it.

Free nights have to be used by the expiration date, not booked by.

I have been thinking about it with Amex and claw back. What makes me mad about it.
  • Amex system has allowed it for a period of what 8 months? It is only now they are clawing points back? Does their system still allow it? If so that doubles down on the insult.
  • The tax issue. It doesn’t personally effect me since I was under and never got a 1099 but it is still ridiculous and for customers to have to deal with now is beyond insulting.
  • Self referrals are usually by smart interested churners (customers) who don’t have a P2. Single people prejudice!
  • The real problem I see is the big blogs like TPG that are raking it in all the time. They don’t have any repercussions at all.
I planned to get a Plat and then have DH start getting the MR cards. I am rather done with that now. I hope this seriously backfires on them. Haven’t they ever heard of trying to build good will? Just make it explicit that self referrals are not allowed. That vague “gaming the system” in their “sole discretion” irks me beyond measure.
It really is rude and ridiculous!

I am sitting and waiting until 8/1 for another CIP, but I was going to most likely start self-referring to Amex biz cards. That idea is completely out the window! I only have the personal Plat, but I have to think about how I want to proceed with Amex. I may just PC it to a Gold next year and leave it at that with Amex.

2 quick questions, I've been out of the loop for a while. I have a gold amex that just posted the AF. I don't want to keep the card how long do I have to cancel and get a refund. Or better yet what can I change it to the Blue card? And if I do this will I get to keep my points.?

I hope Cheesecake Factory will accept multiple gift cards. My daughter's birthday dinner will be there compliments of Amex Rose Gold. I've got 7 GCs to cover a portion. Trying to decide whether to grab another (July's) before we eat so I can use CIP to help with MSR or just pay the balance with Amex.
You can take the same card in month after month and add to it. I have one that has $40 on it from 4 different months.

I would attempt to cash out. I think there are some reports of that not working now. But it could be that you would end up with a negative balance like @striker1064. Are you done with Amex? Or do you want to keep going?

I'm not very excited about Amex's offerings (except for DH's sweet 100k Plat bonus) and much prefer the UR system. I used an SPG bonus for our hotels in LA/Anaheim and these MR from my BBP signup + my self-referral to the SPG have just been sitting idle. I could maybe have a use for their Hilton biz card or something similar for Japan in 2021. Overall I'm having a hard time justifying Amex's AFs relative to the signup bonuses when I'm at 3/24 with Chase and have a P2 at 2/24. So maybe I will cash out and if I end up with a negative balance I'll just not worry about it until I'm tapped out with Chase and/or Amex biz co-brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter