I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No :( Taxes and fees are part of an airline ticket purchase. Imho maybe they give it to you via chat if you try something along the lines of X amount of fees on AA haven’t been reimbursed yet. “Selecting seats” in MCE by chance or paying for bags? Because that’s covered.

Latest FT reports are taxes and fees on domestic trips or getting reimbursed :( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...0-reimbursement-reports-aa-only-2020-a-4.html before it was hit or miss.
Interesting because last year I had SW as my airline, charged 5.60 x 12 flights all reimbursed. Plus EBCI x6.
Man AMEX likes to make credits unusable.

So my Green Amex came today! The texture is interesting, but it is so thin and flexible. I will try my best not to break it. I did a silly thing and used the wrong email address on my app. It was a secondary email and not my primary which is what I use for my Plat. I got it straightened out once the card came, but the CSR accidentally changed the email settings on my corporate Amex account so I had to fix that as well. That is what I get for applying in the very early morning hours :rotfl:

giphy.gif
So sad it’s off Netflix 😢

So guys... I have a confession to make. And it's not easy to say this... but I've been cheating on this thread...

You see... this new ride, Rise of the Resistance (RotR) opened up at WDW. And there was a thread...and one thing led to another...and I became their spreadsheet guy. I didn't intend for it to happen, I promise!! I only looked, I didn't touch!!

Don't worry...after I head to Disney World next week, I promise I'll break it off!!! Please forgive me!!!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
images
tenor.gif
You can’t quit over on that other thread! I have to admit I’m obsessed with it! I think because of all the planning and prep for our early Jan trip I got so used to reading every single post it’s just become part of my day. Plus we’re going back in March. That’s actually where I saw you first and thought wow this guy is intense- then I came over here and was really like wow! So much information and so so helpful! It’s really awesome that you spend time to share all this with everyone!

25k support bonus on DH's Gold Biz showed up! Over 2 months later. I'd about given up on it. Though I guess that's about the time frame listed in the fine print.

I am so happy your support posted! 25k is huge. Congratulations!

Seriously Amex is so crazy. On statement I am still $400 short of making MSR on my Green. I didn’t expect the points to post on it yet (actually clicked on balance by accident when I was trying to get to offers...it was early). Points have posted now for no logical reason at all. They must have counted a $300 plus return and the Away credit. On my DH’s Biz Gold we made spend this weekend and charges have all posted. No MR‘s. Despite my now obsessive checking through today it seems to be stubbornly set. I think the only consistent thing about Amex is that they are inconsistent.

Interesting because last year I had SW as my airline, charged 5.60 x 12 flights all reimbursed. Plus EBCI x6.
Man AMEX likes to make credits unusable.
Last year I got reimbursed the 5.60. I haven't been reimbursed yet for the flights I booked on Jan 14. I'm not going to cry over 11.20, but it does make it harder justifying my Gold card. It's such a pretty card I'm going to be sad to cancel it.

If anyone is using Serve to pay bills, keep a close eye on your payments. I think there was some system refresh done and I've had to enter payees back in, but my payments are ending up in the wrong accounts, or just not going through at all. Amex sent me the physical check that Serve sent to them, saying Amex didn't know which account to apply it too because there was no indication of an account number (although I filled out that field in Serve), so now I have to figure out what to do about that. Meanwhile I'm making the full payment out of my regular checking since the bill is due. What a mess. I guess I'll go for transferring the balance to a checking account from here on out with that Serve account.

I sent a check through Bluebird today and I'm hoping that works ok; the ones earlier this month posted fine. It's strange that only the Serve account is whacked since they both run on the same platform.

I am so happy your support posted! 25k is huge. Congratulations!

Seriously Amex is so crazy. On statement I am still $400 short of making MSR on my Green. I didn’t expect the points to post on it yet (actually clicked on balance by accident when I was trying to get to offers...it was early). Points have posted now for no logical reason at all. They must have counted a $300 plus return and the Away credit. On my DH’s Biz Gold we made spend this weekend and charges have all posted. No MR‘s. Despite my now obsessive checking through today it seems to be stubbornly set. I think the only consistent thing about Amex is that they are inconsistent.

Thanks! I was regretting the Biz Green I got when I thought the support wouldn't post, so now I'm good. :) Agree with the unpredictability. Until things post with Amex, all I'm doing is 🤞 🤞 🤞

Hope your SUB posts tomorrow!

Hey all. My kiddo woke me up way too early so I thought I’d use this time to (try to) catch up.

I haven’t been around much because I’ve been busy, but also so exhausted. The long weekend didn’t really help, despite staying local, what with spending time with the kiddo and trying (finally) to get our home in order for the new year. Is it still only January?

The churn goes on!

I finished my CS Platinum and Hilton Aspire MSRs way too quickly, and both SUBs posted promptly. I got a 15k MR/$2k MSR retention offer on my Gold, despite spending over $30k on its 4x categories last year. Not great, but not bad considering it’s a card I’m keeping anyway. I guess the takeaway is spend, but don’t spend too much on only the bonus categories? I’m taking the MSR on my Biz Platinum a little more slowly, and spending organically where it makes sense on the rest of my Amex cards to keep the pop ups away. Meanwhile, DW is on her way to building up her MR balance. She finished the MSR on her 45k MR Green and we used the Away credit to get a blush pink carry on for DD that she happily wheeled around on our trip to Hawaii. DW also finished up her 25k MR Biz Green and picked up the tiered 75k MR Biz Gold recently. DW also got the Hyatt card, and I plan to get my own sometime after I get back under 5/24. It’ll be a long couple of months until then.

On redemptions, I don’t know if it’s premature to say, but we bought DVC at Aulani — with points. We’re still doing the paperwork and the balance isn’t due for a few weeks, but yeah, we've got our DVC account and points and – it’s happening!

giphy.gif

This is something DW and I had thought about for years, but the timing or budget never seemed right. Meanwhile, we’ve spent some part of our last four holidays at Aulani as well as an impromptu trip there last October, and too many thousands of dollars on Disney Gift Cards. And we’ll likely keep returning to Aulani as long as we continue to visit family in Hawaii. It just made sense. And it really is our happy place. We looked into resale, and we took a tour while at Aulani (and scored $150 in Disney Gift Cards), and in the end we felt more comfortable buying direct and adding on via resale later. And hey, we'll get a "blue card"! Although we’re probably getting a little more than half the value going direct vs. resale, being comfortable with the purchase was important, and we’ll get the 2019 UY points that we've noticed are [along with 2020 UY] often stripped from a lot of contracts on the resale market, and that gives us some time to find a resale contract that’ll work as an add-on. We just had to make the money work. So I’ve cashed out 1.2 million MR and 500k UR to fund our purchase, and we don’t have to worry about anything out of pocket or when we'll "break even." We’ll hit several MSRs with this purchase, and pay for it with cash from points. It’s a tidy circle.

I never thought about using credit card rewards to buy DVC, but then @hulagirl put the thought into my head. Thank you for the inception, @hulagirl.

giphy.gif

And special thanks to @calypso726, @3 DD love princesses, @PolyRob, @speedyfishy, @wendow, @kmc8826, @striker1064, @vanjust14, @bernina, and anyone else I might’ve missed for all the encouragement and advice along the way.

I was looking at award space on United for next Christmas over the weekend, and wow dynamic pricing is really in effect. Last year, I was able to book saver award seats to HNL for 22.5k miles per person, each way. This year, economy saver awards are running 45k miles per person, each way. I think I’m going to have to try a different approach this year.

But hey, while I was clicking around United’s schedule, I noticed I could fly my family to Japan over Thanksgiving week for 35k miles per person, each way. So I’m going to! (I think we’re going to be in Japan while @ten6mom is still there!) It’s crazy to think United will fly us all the way to Japan for fewer miles than it would take to fly to Hawaii. But here we are. So a little past midnight, with my ladies asleep, I made a snap decision to forego our family tradition of spending Thanksgiving at Disneyland and taking the family to Tokyo instead. If we spend Thanksgiving Day at Tokyo Disneyland, that still counts right? Anyway, I booked our flights using United miles. Sadly, no lie flat seats for us. I’m flying a family of 3 and have a little redshirt who’s not in the game yet, so I need to budget our points and miles. I’ll be using my airline fee credits to bump us up to Economy+. I transferred some UR over to Hyatt and booked three nights at the Andaz Toranomon Hills for 30k/night. I used Hilton points, and booked three more nights at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for 80k/night. I need to math that last one out. Anyway, it’s an amazing feeling to have planned all this out in less than two hours, and very humbling to realize I have the points and miles to do all of this. I ran all this by DW in the morning, and she eagerly agreed it was a good change of pace. But before then, it was 2 a.m., and like my man Ted Mosby said,

9cMjC28.jpg

Keep on churning on!
Congrats @Lain!!! So happy for you and your family!

Hey all. My kiddo woke me up way too early so I thought I’d use this time to (try to) catch up.

I haven’t been around much because I’ve been busy, but also so exhausted. The long weekend didn’t really help, despite staying local, what with spending time with the kiddo and trying (finally) to get our home in order for the new year. Is it still only January?

The churn goes on!

I finished my CS Platinum and Hilton Aspire MSRs way too quickly, and both SUBs posted promptly. I got a 15k MR/$2k MSR retention offer on my Gold, despite spending over $30k on its 4x categories last year. Not great, but not bad considering it’s a card I’m keeping anyway. I guess the takeaway is spend, but don’t spend too much on only the bonus categories? I’m taking the MSR on my Biz Platinum a little more slowly, and spending organically where it makes sense on the rest of my Amex cards to keep the pop ups away. Meanwhile, DW is on her way to building up her MR balance. She finished the MSR on her 45k MR Green and we used the Away credit to get a blush pink carry on for DD that she happily wheeled around on our trip to Hawaii. DW also finished up her 25k MR Biz Green and picked up the tiered 75k MR Biz Gold recently. DW also got the Hyatt card, and I plan to get my own sometime after I get back under 5/24. It’ll be a long couple of months until then.

On redemptions, I don’t know if it’s premature to say, but we bought DVC at Aulani — with points. We’re still doing the paperwork and the balance isn’t due for a few weeks, but yeah, we've got our DVC account and points and – it’s happening!

giphy.gif

This is something DW and I had thought about for years, but the timing or budget never seemed right. Meanwhile, we’ve spent some part of our last four holidays at Aulani as well as an impromptu trip there last October, and too many thousands of dollars on Disney Gift Cards. And we’ll likely keep returning to Aulani as long as we continue to visit family in Hawaii. It just made sense. And it really is our happy place. We looked into resale, and we took a tour while at Aulani (and scored $150 in Disney Gift Cards), and in the end we felt more comfortable buying direct and adding on via resale later. And hey, we'll get a "blue card"! Although we’re probably getting a little more than half the value going direct vs. resale, being comfortable with the purchase was important, and we’ll get the 2019 UY points that we've noticed are [along with 2020 UY] often stripped from a lot of contracts on the resale market, and that gives us some time to find a resale contract that’ll work as an add-on. We just had to make the money work. So I’ve cashed out 1.2 million MR and 500k UR to fund our purchase, and we don’t have to worry about anything out of pocket or when we'll "break even." We’ll hit several MSRs with this purchase, and pay for it with cash from points. It’s a tidy circle.

I never thought about using credit card rewards to buy DVC, but then @hulagirl put the thought into my head. Thank you for the inception, @hulagirl.

giphy.gif

And special thanks to @calypso726, @3 DD love princesses, @PolyRob, @speedyfishy, @wendow, @kmc8826, @striker1064, @vanjust14, @bernina, and anyone else I might’ve missed for all the encouragement and advice along the way.

I was looking at award space on United for next Christmas over the weekend, and wow dynamic pricing is really in effect. Last year, I was able to book saver award seats to HNL for 22.5k miles per person, each way. This year, economy saver awards are running 45k miles per person, each way. I think I’m going to have to try a different approach this year.

But hey, while I was clicking around United’s schedule, I noticed I could fly my family to Japan over Thanksgiving week for 35k miles per person, each way. So I’m going to! (I think we’re going to be in Japan while @ten6mom is still there!) It’s crazy to think United will fly us all the way to Japan for fewer miles than it would take to fly to Hawaii. But here we are. So a little past midnight, with my ladies asleep, I made a snap decision to forego our family tradition of spending Thanksgiving at Disneyland and taking the family to Tokyo instead. If we spend Thanksgiving Day at Tokyo Disneyland, that still counts right? Anyway, I booked our flights using United miles. Sadly, no lie flat seats for us. I’m flying a family of 3 and have a little redshirt who’s not in the game yet, so I need to budget our points and miles. I’ll be using my airline fee credits to bump us up to Economy+. I transferred some UR over to Hyatt and booked three nights at the Andaz Toranomon Hills for 30k/night. I used Hilton points, and booked three more nights at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for 80k/night. I need to math that last one out. Anyway, it’s an amazing feeling to have planned all this out in less than two hours, and very humbling to realize I have the points and miles to do all of this. I ran all this by DW in the morning, and she eagerly agreed it was a good change of pace. But before then, it was 2 a.m., and like my man Ted Mosby said,

9cMjC28.jpg

Keep on churning on!
Wow, wow, wow! So much awesomeness! I have not been on the boards during the past few months but have started lurking again and couldn’t resist commenting on this. We will be in Tokyo the same time, .., also planning to be in TDL for Thanksgiving! We are flying JAL economy going there and economy+ on the way back, also hoping to upgrade to biz class @14 days out, but we’ll see how that goes. We booked one way through .. and the other way via BA. We’ll be at the Tokyo Hilton the first 5 nights and the Hilton Tokyo Bay the last 2 nights. I’m still working on amassing all the points needed for the hotels though. I never thought Japan was on the table for us, but after reading a bunch here, I realized how easy it is on points. DH’s best friend lives there and there’s Disney, so I figured why not! DS12 is looking forward to all the video games, manga and cat cafes, lol.

Congrats on DVC too. That’s just so amazing!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any $ saving tips for cruising on NCL?
I’d like to book a cruise for 2021 while they have $50 deposit.

Also looking for tips on booking a family of 5 on Ncl.Do they have balcony rooms available for 5 if I call?
The funny part to me is that as expensive as DCL is, it's the easiest to discount due to the GC deals. I had a hard time finding ways to discount NCL. Carnival, Princess, Royal and Celebrity all have GC's that can be bought with a discount, not so much for NCL. I ultimately discounted it by using my UR points to pay for the majority of the cruise fare. Having the CSR to redeem at 1.5x was a good discount. :) Also got an AmEx offer and had signed up for the NCL CC to discount some incidentals.

I think most of these have been touched on but I'll try to gather everything I know in one place.

1. CC points. UR from Chase get the 1.25/1.5 multiplier from the CSP,CIP/CSR cards. You have to call Chase travel to book cruises and they have access to exactly what you see on the cruise line site, the same promotions and inventory. They don't do any further discounts or specials.

MR from AmEx can be redeemed at .07 cpp through their travel portal. I've not been able to get through a mock booking so if you absolutely want to use MR I'd call. Near as I can see though they also have the same pricing and inventory as the cruise lines. It's just not the best redemption for MR but it would discount your cash outlay.

TY from Citi can be used as well but I'm not familiar with the Citi ecosystem. My understanding is they get 1 cpp except if you have the Premier (?) card you get 1.25. They also use the same TA as Chase for cruises, Connexions, so same options there - what you see on the cruise line website is what you get.

2. AmEx Offers. Occasionally you'll find an AmEx offer for NCL, last one was Spend $500 or more and get $150 back. If you get it after you book or can't make payments on the cruise you should be able to use it on other incidentals if you can buy it through the online portal. I think @wanderlust7 and @Mopedmom1 used it to by OBC successfully. I used it to prepay gratuities and book a couple shore excursions through the online portal. https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60463905
It showed up around Feb last year, hopefully it comes around again.

3. CruiseNext. Doesn't help now but CruiseNext is NCL's OBB program. You can get a discounted deposit if you book a future cruise or future cruise cert on board. We used one on this cruise to secure the deposit before transferring to Chase and bought some more since we know we'll cruise them again within 4 years. That'll give us a $250 discount on the next cruise. Something to keep in mind on your trip if you think you'd like to cruise them again. https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext

4. NCL CC from BoA. Current offer for this card is 20k WorldPoints for 1k in spend. The offer I signed up under was 10k for a single purchase + 5k additional for 1k spend in 3 months; so for the same spend right now you're getting more points. On the surface it's no great shakes - 20k points is $200 off the cruise fare or $200 in OBC - but where this can be useful is the upgrades option. Full disclosure, I am not totally familiar with the ins and outs of the different upgrade options because they only apply to Inside, OV, and Balcony categories and we decided to go MiniSuite for this last cruise. But 20k points can get you a 4 category meta upgrade which can be worth more than the $200 cash redemption (Upgrade refers to a better available accommodation within the meta (Interior to Interior, Oceanview to Oceanview or Balcony to Balcony).) It may not be worth the additional spend but 30k points will get you a Cross Meta upgrade so you could go from Inside to OV, or OV to Balcony (Officially: "Cross-Meta upgrade refers to having the option to book a specific Oceanview category for the price of a specific Interior category or book a specific Balcony category for the price of a specific Oceanview category.").

Cruise Critic has a mega thread on the card benefits: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/553841-ncl-mastercard-faq/
If interested, start in reverse; the info in the beginning of the 10+ year thread is WAY not accurate.

WorldPoints can also be transferred between cards if you happen to have another WorldPoints card. This seems rare so there's not much else going on for the CC. I do happen to have a WP card but neither one has any real bonus categories so outside of the sign up bonus it's not doing much for me.

5. TAs. Check a few TA's including Costco/BJ's/Sam's/etc. Since Chase is a TA you wouldn't be able to combine a TA offer with using your UR/MR/TY points. You can combine it with the CruiseNext, NCL CC points, and AmEx offers. TA's may have different inventory if they bought a block, may offer discounted fare pricing and can offer different incentives in addition to the cruise line promotions.

So guys... I have a confession to make. And it's not easy to say this... but I've been cheating on this thread...

You see... this new ride, Rise of the Resistance (RotR) opened up at WDW. And there was a thread...and one thing led to another...and I became their spreadsheet guy. I didn't intend for it to happen, I promise!! I only looked, I didn't touch!!

Don't worry...after I head to Disney World next week, I promise I'll break it off!!! Please forgive me!!!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
images
tenor.gif
Once a cheater, always a cheater. How are we supposed to trust you ever again!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter