I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied for another CIP and was denied. I haven't gone to read the letter yet. Not a big deal. I have one CIP AF coming up that I wanted to down grade. Not sure what I should do though since it may take up to a month for R.C. to refund our cancelled cruise. Has anyone had a refund return on a card that they downgraded?
I haven't had a refund to a downgraded card, but when I downgraded my CIP to a CIU the account number stayed the same, so I would hope it would be OK

I had a brief panic moment when I realized the initial deposit for DH's cancelled trip was made a year ago on a now cancelled CIP. The trip coordinator said she was not allowed to directly refund CC payments made over 90 days ago, so she would send that part of the refund as a check.

Got everything on my grocery pick up order but they missed that I said 7 apples so only got 4. They do it by weight which just doesn't work. They did fine on the deli meat and saw my not for 1/3 lb instead of the one it makes you pick.

So next week I'll get there at open to get my apples for 2 weeks plus we'll need chicken soon if they have any. Mom also wants some top soil and while I can do that on the pick up I'd rather not.

I did find toilet paper at walgreens and my kleenex from staples will be here tomorrow so we should be good on that stuff for at least a month.

At least my plats getting a good workout and I'm still putting a bit of spend on my dl card. Hoping it all makes them happy for the hilton card I want.

I had to tell DD4 when our 3/16 trip was cancelled. It was cancelled last minute when Disney decided to close...it was only like 3 days prior. She came down to wake up up with a handful of clothing she wanted me to put in the suitcase. I had found out the night prior after she went to bed that they were closing Sunday. Our checkin was to be Monday. It was heartbreaking to tell her, but she took it really well. She was sad, but I just explained that a lot of germs are around and WDW is closing so more people won't get sick and that we would be there in May and if they opened before our next trip we'd squeeze in an extra. Well, now we know that even the may trip likely won't happen. She has no concept of time, so we will just go when it opens. Almost daily she says she wants to go, is it open, how about mickey's boat instead, etc. But she hasn't had a meltdown. Kids are resilient. It is hard though.

Oh my, That was a hard one. She know's whats going on, she actually went to Grandma's for spring break before schools got canceled and everything here so she has been down there for three weeks now. Figured that would be best for now since I was working 70hr weeks and DW is a teacher and was doing online learning. She's coming back at the end of the week so we'll have to start discussing the possibility and about starting to plan for next summer and see how it goes.

Oh my, That was a hard one. She know's whats going on, she actually went to Grandma's for spring break before schools got canceled and everything here so she has been down there for three weeks now. Figured that would be best for now since I was working 70hr weeks and DW is a teacher and was doing online learning. She's coming back at the end of the week so we'll have to start discussing the possibility and about starting to plan for next summer and see how it goes.

My kids are 8 and 11, they took the news pretty well. Basically, all they said was awww. I think it would be different if I was making the decision not to go. But if Disney is closed, it's closed. What can ya do? Occasionally, they'll mention I wish we were going and I'll go yeah, me too. 😞

Oh, and even better idea. A friend of mine was making masks for her son to wear at work (as a nurse). She offered to make some for my parents (she lives in my hometown) and me. I said take care of your son and his team, then my parents (who are too old to tolerate this).

Anyway, she is sewing a pouch into each mask, then inserts a cut piece of HEPA filter (which are readily available). She is a mechanical genius! Thought this might be worth it's weight in gold over the next few weeks!
High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter. Something like 99.5% effective at filtering down to 3 microns. High quality industrial (not medical) air filters. I'm not convinced you would see that level of filtration in a cloth mask with a pouch, because a lot of air will go around the filter, because the filter will add extra resistance. But, I'm convinced it's an improvement over a plain cloth mask.
So for the non-technologically sophisticated here (meaning me), what exactly is this? I had read that the fabric part of the mask helps protect others from you, but to protect yourself from others, you need to insert something, such as a piece of flexible plastic, in a pouch. I haven't heard about using a filter.

When I started researching filters, I found something called a MERV rating, this seems to determine how small of particles the filter can remove.

The medical grade masks (N95) that healthcare workers use are very tight fitting so essentially all the air you breath must go thru it. We have yearly fit testing to go through to make sure we have the right size mask and know how to use it. They are also adding eye protection (shield, glasses ) now because Coronavirus can enter through your eyes as well apparently. You’re right that the cloth mask won’t do that job. I think my sister is using HEPA vacuum bags and cutting them up to put in masks. I’m not sure how much it helps but it won’t hurt. If you’re using cloth masks, make sure to wash them after every use. In the past we were told the regular thin masks we use are only good for 20-30 minutes and needed to be changed frequently.

One of my coworkers is a sewer. I had picked up some fabric and she made me thus one. It has a pocket to put a filter in. I had found some melt blown filter material on eBay that can be resterilized in a microwaveable steam bag and the outside can be washed. The plan now is that we are supposed to wear masks at work. It’s clearly not a N95 but it fits fairly well.
8350AFAA-A27D-4C75-BF90-7AA9A6A9A38B.png
I honestly don’t know. There is so much conflicting information. We bought a case of them at the very beginning of the crisis, but after learning more, we ended up keeping four of them (two for each of us) & donated the rest to the hospital. I really don’t think the average person needs to be wearing them whenever they go outside. I just couldn’t stop thinking “what if something happens to my parents & I want to fly to the US even if it means waiting out the quarantine” - hence why we kept those four. So, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have them around, but you would really only need them in an emergency situation IMO.

I had purchased a couple boxes in January, I’ll be bringing them to the hospital for the ER and ICU nurses who would be more at risk than I anticipate being.

Will do. And with UVa and VA Tech already covered by her 529, it probably won't make financial sense for her to leave VA, but it can't hurt to look. I know their chemical engineering program is excellent.

It never hurts to look or apply if she likes it. My DD told me that she has a friend from VA and GT was cheaper than Va Tech for her. You just never know. Best of luck as she starts looking!

On the scale, I'm making myself get on it every day. The first week I was eating way to much junk because of stress. I'm also making myself do a 2.5 mile walk in additional to my regular workout. DD joins me when she's with me. But we also enjoy baking. My weight is down slightly from when I started working from home but I know I need to watch the junk food.

DD and I are doing StepBet (online app), and I’m doing a Runbet. It gives us both something to focus on and forces us to get outside for fresh air. It has tremendously helped my mental state. I’m still eating too much junk though. I’ve decided to make Monday my weigh-in day. I’ve lost 40 pounds over the last year, and I’m terrified that I’ll gain it back!!

Whoever was asking about Delta companion cert, I just got an email from Delta saying we will have more time to use them. No details on how long, but it appears they will be extending them.
Now will SW follow?

Thank you, that was me. You made me go back and read the email I got from Delta. :thumbsup2 It would have went unread as I usually figure, it doesn't have anything that really pertains to me. Good to know that its on their radar even if they don't give a definate date for the expiration.

I had purchased a couple boxes in January, I’ll be bringing them to the hospital for the ER and ICU nurses who would be more at risk than I anticipate being.

That’s very thought. AFAIK, we don’t have a mask shortage yet but I texted with a nurse coworker today and it’s bad. There are at least 2 units of ICU patients where we normally have 1.

Did I miss an annoucement somewhere? JetBlue extended their schedule through 1/4/21 - was totally unprepared for that.

Made some bookings for our New Years Cruise - still hopeful that one will happen - though who knows if this damn virus comes back for another round. Anyway, JetBlue seems to have a really flexible cancel/change policy so I figured I would lock something in. Prices not exactly cheap though - maybe they might come down, but I figure I would lock in using some of the miles we got back from our canceled spring break cruise.

There are no no-fee downgrade options for the Amex Plat. If DH does downgrade to a card (the only options, Gold $250AF or Green $150AF), be sure he’s already gotten those cards’ SUB because downgrading to a card counts as having or having had that card for the purposes of bonus eligibility, i.e., downgrading makes him ineligible for the SUB on that card even if he’s never gotten it before and tries to apply for that card later.

DH could sign up for a BBP via your supportal (before canceling the Plat), which is a $0AF biz card (so doesn’t count against 5/24), earns and holds MR (so he can cancel the Plat and the MRs stay alive with the BBP), and earns 2x MR on everything up to $50k/year spend (so it’s actually a decent non-bonus category, non-MSR daily driver). And if it matters, the BBP offers a 0% APR for 12 months.

I would, however, suggest you consider having DH call into Amex for a retention offer on that Plat. I’ve been seeing a lot of recent DPs that say Amex is offering a $500 statement credit or 50k MR, no spending requirement, to keep the Plat for another year. This pretty much negates the AF when you consider the credits, and $500/50k MR retention offers are about the best Amex offers on the Plat. Folks have been calling in to cancel and say they have the Plat for the travel benefits (e.g., 5x MR on flights, travel insurance, lounge access, Marriott/Hilton Gold status, etc.), but due to the coronavirus pandemic, shelter-in-place and travel restrictions, and all the canceled flights and shuttered hotels, can’t travel now and don’t know when they’ll be able to travel again. Of course, other factors may affect the retention offer DH gets, including his spend, spending patterns, cardmember history, the internal numbers Amex is trying to maintain/hit. Keeping the Plat a second year will probably help to keep DH from ending on the pop up list.

Worth a try. Amex retention department: 1-800-452-3945.

I wanted to give you an update since you offered such thoughtful advice and the number to the retention department. Despite pretty consistent (but not big $$$) spend on his Plat over the past year, the rep only offered a downgrade to the Gold card. We canceled. I'm so proud of DH, former anti-churner, for calling and speaking with the rep! :love: :D I'm not fussed about the popup because I much prefer URs to MRs and I don't even know what Amex card I would have had DH apply for next. I might regret that decision in July or so when I'm looking for a new card to sign up for and am trying to keep my velocity down to keep Chase happy but for now I'm happy to have $550 back in my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter