I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SouthFayetteFan and @Albort We only fly SW unless we are flying international. I am currently using my CSP and Chase Freedom to earn URs to transfer over to SW whenever I'm looking to book flights. I will keep plugging away at that then. Btw, I hit my $4000 spend already and got my SUB of 60,000URs today!
So if your pacing allows for it, grabbing 1 SW card at some point to build a small stash of SW points for those flights isn't a bad idea. You could then devote your URs elsewhere for other travel needs. I am thankful to have my large SW points balance to cover all our flights and also continue to earn lots of URs now which I put to better use. Your strategy works too though and there's nothing wrong with using URs for SW!

Last edited:
Ok, I *think* I've settled on Maui hotels - doing a split stay between Wailea Beach Villas and the Hyatt Regency. The Hyatt I can book with Hyatt points (WBV isn't accepting points bookings for my dates). BUT, I'm hesitant to tie up so many URs in Hyatt points just in case the trip falls through. I'm thinking I'll just book the hotel as a cash booking and pay the deposit - it's got a 24-hour cancellation policy, so once we get close enough that I feel confident we'll go (come onnnnnnn, vaccine!), then I'll cancel the cash booking and re-book with points. Am I missing any potential landmines?

Is it bad that the first thing I thought of with the Swan Reserve, was Oh great, more people using the IG and walking to HS??
Relevant to our earlier discussion - I was looking around the Swan Reserve website (thanks for that distraction @Judique) and it seems this only increases the number of rooms at the Swolphin resorts by 15% (349 rooms) so I'd guess a minimal impact :D

Ok, I *think* I've settled on Maui hotels - doing a split stay between Wailea Beach Villas and the Hyatt Regency. The Hyatt I can book with Hyatt points (WBV isn't accepting points bookings for my dates). BUT, I'm hesitant to tie up so many URs in Hyatt points just in case the trip falls through. I'm thinking I'll just book the hotel as a cash booking and pay the deposit - it's got a 24-hour cancellation policy, so once we get close enough that I feel confident we'll go (come onnnnnnn, vaccine!), then I'll cancel the cash booking and re-book with points. Am I missing any potential landmines?

It's possible there are no more points bookings by then. I don't know if you cancel, how fast or if it would go back into inventory. I've seen discussion of people trying to do this with Hilton or Bonvoy when they're waiting for a free night certificate. My impression is it doesn't work if the standard night is no longer in inventory. But I don't know if Hyatt works the same.

So what happens if you have an ADR and you want outdoor seating but there isn’t any available? Dh doesn’t want to eat inside at all. He thinks beaches and cream would be fun though
I'd head to the "Here Now" thread and ask over there.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...g-experiences-including-park-hopping.3807247/
There are lots of people who have been there recently and might be able to relay first-hand experiences. I'd say the worst case scenario is you pay the $10 no show charge but that's probably unlikely IMO. You might also want to ask what the outdoor seating is like, or if anybody has a recent picture, to make sure it is to your liking. I remember tables being there outside when we went there the one night for Ice Cream only, but I didn't really pay enough attention before we went in to see the spacing or whatever.

I'd head to the "Here Now" thread and ask over there.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...g-experiences-including-park-hopping.3807247/
There are lots of people who have been there recently and might be able to relay first-hand experiences. I'd say the worst case scenario is you pay the $10 no show charge but that's probably unlikely IMO. You might also want to ask what the outdoor seating is like, or if anybody has a recent picture, to make sure it is to your liking. I remember tables being there outside when we went there the one night for Ice Cream only, but I didn't really pay enough attention before we went in to see the spacing or whatever.
Last time we were there they had 3 tables out but that was awhile ago. I just posted on the restaurant forum but I’ll ask on the here now thread too.

Last time we were there they had 3 tables out but that was awhile ago. I just posted on the restaurant forum but I’ll ask on the here now thread too.
Well I can answer the question you asked there right here... they were doing outdoor service 19 days ago when I was there. 🤣 🤣

Are you sure you don't want to ask if anybody has any pictures of the seating area to gauge if the distancing of the tables is enough for your liking? And also ask if anybody specifically requested to wait for an outdoor table at B&C or any of the other restaurants with limited outdoor seating to see how Disney handled it?

One website I found did say this about outdoor seating in general:
  • Outdoor seating not guaranteed but you can request it when you check in and offer to wait until a seat becomes available- chances are the cast members will accommodate you.
Ok I stand corrected 😳 - perhaps they abandoned this idea per the recent comment... you might want to call and see what’s really going on there.

Last edited:
I BOOKED A TRIP!!!!

Hawaii July 2-14!

Thank you thank you thank you to this thread and especially @SouthFayetteFan since I was able to book $3472 worth of flights for $112! And $840 worth of those flights cost me zero points, since they were booked with my SW CP (YAY! Finally getting some use out of it!) (And I've still got 56k SW points left over!) I'll spring for Early Bird check-in when the time gets closer, so it'll end up costing me another couple hundred dollars, but still a huge bargain.

Since we are on the East coast, flying SW to Hawaii was tricky - there aren't any flights that arrive in California early enough to catch the California-Hawaii flight, so I had to book all of our legs separately. And we'll fly NC-California the day before we fly California-Hawaii. Coming back, we'll fly Hawaii-California and then California-NC the next day. In a way it's kind of nice because we avoid a painful redeye, which you have to take if you fly Hawaii-NC.

Next up - resorts! We'll be in Maui for about 5 days and Oahu for about 5 days. I'D LOVE ANY SUGGESTIONS (particularly Hyatts so I can use my URs) - we've got two teenage boys (15 and 17) if that factors into your recommendations. (Edited to add: I'd love to find someplace with multiple bedrooms and a kitchen, like a Marriott Vacation Club-type property. Does Hyatt have something comparable?) I don't think we are going to spring for Aulani - I looked at prices and had a mini heart-attack. And I don't think it would be worth it given my boys' ages.

I'd also love any suggestions for unique active activities!

Thank you again awesome CC people!
We are staying at the Hyatt Residence Club Maui right now and it is amazing! We booked a 1 bedroom with full kitchen and were upgraded at check in (I always ask - I figure it can’t hurt!) to a 2 bedroom. The pool is great and you can use the pool at the Hyatt regency next door whihh can has a fun slide also. My boys have loved the basketball court and playing games out on the lanai. The beach isn’t great - it’s small right outside the hotel, but a 5 minute walk the beach opens up and is beautiful. I would absolutely come back here again!

We are staying at the Hyatt Residence Club Maui right now and it is amazing! We booked a 1 bedroom with full kitchen and were upgraded at check in (I always ask - I figure it can’t hurt!) to a 2 bedroom. The pool is great and you can use the pool at the Hyatt regency next door whihh can has a fun slide also. My boys have loved the basketball court and playing games out on the lanai. The beach isn’t great - it’s small right outside the hotel, but a 5 minute walk the beach opens up and is beautiful. I would absolutely come back here again!
Thanks for this info! Is the beach outside the Hyatt any better than the beach outside the Hyatt Residence Club? Or both about the same? Our first (and only other) trip to Hawaii, we went to Waikiki, and I was shocked how small (and kind of lame!) that beach was.

Thanks for this info! Is the beach outside the Hyatt any better than the beach outside the Hyatt Residence Club? Or both about the same? Our first (and only other) trip to Hawaii, we went to Waikiki, and I was shocked how small (and kind of lame!) that beach was.
They are literally right next door to each other so they are the same. You’ll probably feel the same about this beach - you need to be willing to walk or get in your car to visit the other amazing beaches. I did have the regency booked until about a week before our trip and the residence club opened up and I switched over. It’s definitely worth it to keep looking. The extra room and less crowded pools are definitely worth the 5k per night (although you do miss the globalist breakfast)

Well I can answer the question you asked there right here... they were doing outdoor service 19 days ago when I was there. 🤣 🤣

Are you sure you don't want to ask if anybody has any pictures of the seating area to gauge if the distancing of the tables is enough for your liking? And also ask if anybody specifically requested to wait for an outdoor table at B&C or any of the other restaurants with limited outdoor seating to see how Disney handled it?

One website I found did say this about outdoor seating in general:
  • Outdoor seating not guaranteed but you can request it when you check in and offer to wait until a seat becomes available- chances are the cast members will accommodate you.
Ok I stand corrected 😳 - perhaps they abandoned this idea per the recent comment... you might want to call and see what’s really going on there.
I just read the comment. I’ll have to find the time to call and ask. I don’t have a lot of time on my hands but I should be able to call when Dh gets off work. Do you have any suggestions for anywhere else on the boardwalk? Honestly something quick and easy would be better anyway

I just read the comment. I’ll have to find the time to call and ask. I don’t have a lot of time on my hands but I should be able to call when Dh gets off work. Do you have any suggestions for anywhere else on the boardwalk? Honestly something quick and easy would be better anyway
Here’s a quote of a comment that has an image of the outdoor seating from the official Yacht & Beach Club Thread... 😊 (you’ll need to click the arrow to see them by going to that thread)

There were two outdoor heaters set up between the outdoor tables at Beaches and Cream tonight. I took a couple of pictures of them

We also went to three parks today, MK, HS, and Epcot. It is easy when staying at an Epcot resort. :)

Last edited:
This article talks a lot about Food and the Skyliner, including restaurants that are Temporarily Closed (Dated Feb 13, 2021)

My Chickfila app $20 reload on 2/1 shows a credit posted 2/14 (Hilton card). I am still waiting on the restaurant charge to the Reserve card.

I think I missed something. Is the Reserve reimbursing for something restaurant related, besides Doordash? Is enrollment or an offer required? Thanks in advance.

I BOOKED A TRIP!!!!

Hawaii July 2-14!

Thank you thank you thank you to this thread and especially @SouthFayetteFan since I was able to book $3472 worth of flights for $112! And $840 worth of those flights cost me zero points, since they were booked with my SW CP (YAY! Finally getting some use out of it!) (And I've still got 56k SW points left over!) I'll spring for Early Bird check-in when the time gets closer, so it'll end up costing me another couple hundred dollars, but still a huge bargain.

Since we are on the East coast, flying SW to Hawaii was tricky - there aren't any flights that arrive in California early enough to catch the California-Hawaii flight, so I had to book all of our legs separately. And we'll fly NC-California the day before we fly California-Hawaii. Coming back, we'll fly Hawaii-California and then California-NC the next day. In a way it's kind of nice because we avoid a painful redeye, which you have to take if you fly Hawaii-NC.

Next up - resorts! We'll be in Maui for about 5 days and Oahu for about 5 days. I'D LOVE ANY SUGGESTIONS (particularly Hyatts so I can use my URs) - we've got two teenage boys (15 and 17) if that factors into your recommendations. (Edited to add: I'd love to find someplace with multiple bedrooms and a kitchen, like a Marriott Vacation Club-type property. Does Hyatt have something comparable?) I don't think we are going to spring for Aulani - I looked at prices and had a mini heart-attack. And I don't think it would be worth it given my boys' ages.

I'd also love any suggestions for unique active activities!

Thank you again awesome CC people!

Congrats on booking the trip- so exciting and SW points and CP are amazing! I always understood Early Bird check in is first-come-first-served, meaning your boarding will be based on how far in advance you purchased it. The one time I purchased it I got low Bs and was disappointed to have paid for it- but didn’t realize it was based on how far out you purchased it vs other pax. Of course, waiting may be based on refundability concerns.

Here’s an quote of a comment that has an image of the outdoor seating from the official Yacht & Beach Club Thread... 😊 (you’ll need to click the arrow to see them by going to that thread)
I’ll have to call them and ask because I think Dh would be okay with sitting outside if it looks like that. Otherwise we may just skip the skyliner this time

Did some preliminary research last night and have a better idea what is where lol. Wondering if you rented a car that first trip and how is driving there? Debating if we'd want to just do day trips from the Andaz or if we want to move around more.
On the first trip I used a company called Anywhere Costa Rica to arrange for private or shared shuttles to drive us around, and that was great. I actually learn cool information when talking to the shuttle driver, like how the healthcare system there works and stuff like that. I don't think I have the nerve to drive in Costa Rica myself because I'm such a "what if" person (what if I get a flat? what if the road is washed out? etc.). I will say that the road signs in CR are NOT well marked, so a GPS device is essential imo. I remember thinking on that first trip, how could anyone give me directions that would make sense to me? Like "turn left at the pink house" since there's no street sign to help me out (what if it recently was painted white?). The main highway roads are well paved, but the ones you take to get to the final destination can be narrow and rutted dirt roads. I know lots of people have rented cars successfully, but it's not exactly cheap to rent either. A lot of the day trip companies will actually pick you up at your hotel, so if you're doing those then transportation is usually included.

The Andaz looks beautiful! We'll have to try that one!

The boardwalk bakery is open, you could get something there and eat at one of the tables on the boardwalk along the lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter