I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I need some help. We’re planning to visit family in Iowa in June or July. Our original plan was to fly but he hates being in a car seat and we aren’t sure we feel comfortable with everything going on. But we’ve never driven an rv before. It would be an 18 hr 30 min drive without stops. We talked about stopping along the way at aquariums or something fun like that. I just have no idea what to expect with a 12 month in an rv for that long. Idk how naps and bedtime will go. Will it be awful? Would we be better off flying?

Edited as decision was made to fly.

Last edited:
I think I can make any and all feel better, about office mess. LOL. I swear, type B and ADHD means my whole house is a cluster! My mom has tried to come over and organize but finally she's realized at 44, this is just how I roll, :rotfl2: Mind you, my office is like 9x10. So I cram a LOT into a tiny space, LOL.....somewhere in this mess I hope there is $400, LOL.
View attachment 572553
View attachment 572554
View attachment 572555

I teach HS...

I searched the pics and didn't see any abandoned pizza boxes so, you are good for now.

(I had to do a wellness check on an employee one time accompanied by police-they called me- and you couldn't make it across the room without stepping on a pizza box.)

editing to add - the individual was okay, just wouldn't open the door for the officers or the neighbor who called and was worried. When I arrived she opened up and they took her to the hospital for observation and later released her. I think she was too embarrassed to let people in.

Last edited:
i went to Savannah, GA last week. Its a very historic town with a lot of history but i had no idea who and what. I wished i had more time to explore it(we only had the morning to explore) so we just did a quick bus tour. Theres An Hyatt Andaz and Hyatt Regency there that looked pretty nice, the Andaz looks super nice and it sits by the market place. We ate at Sorry Charlie's Oyster Bar, it was tasty. The tour ppl recommended it... they will tell u where to eat. I think there is another place called the Pirate House that was also recommended.

the bus tour also offers on and off passes so you can hop off a stop to explore the specific area... just be careful when you find the bus company again because there are like 10 different buses going around. We went with the white bus called the Old Savannah tours since that was the first one that invited us in on the other side of the bus parking area.
Honestly, they're close enough together that you could do both. We prefer Savannah for historic charm (although they're both great!) and Charleston for beach. So I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. We've done plenty of weekend trips where we do Charleston one day (beach, Rainbow Row, and city market) then Savannah the next day for strolling the historic streets, river, etc.
I just went to Charleston in Jan to visit my friend. She works for Hilton, so we stayed at the DoubleTree or Embassy Suites (not sure which) that was the former Citadel dorms. She used to work at the Hampton Inn just next door. If you're a foodie, there's lots for you to enjoy. Since she's a local, she gave me a condensed tour. We hit Rainbow Road, the Park, the Pineapple Fountain, etc. Walking through the neighborhoods, we got to hear some of the architecture tours as they went by (I'm a HS architecture teacher, so that was fun). There is a trolley you can take around to the different places for free. We also hit Folley Beach and Isle of Palms. Folley Beach we bar hopped around which was fun. I liked that you could have so many different aspects, there's beach, there's history, there's architecture, there's food, etc.
Dd and I spent 2 nights in Savannah last year. We stayed at the Perry Lane (a Marriott property) and I would highly recommend it. It's a short walk to all the shops and restaurants and a very nice property with an impressive rooftop bar. We did a Trolly Tour, which was informative. On Saturday morning I walked to an outdoor farmer's market, which was really nice (buy some GA peaches -- so so good!). We both REALLY enjoyed Savannah and I hope to visit again at some point.
Thanks all! Great tips. I think we might have to do a little in each!

Couple more questions. This trip just came about today, and we're leaving on Wednesday (driving down from the greater Boston area), so I'm scrambling to figure out the plan.
My sister is staying in Hilton Head for 2 weeks - starting next Monday. I'm just going for the drive down and the weekend (in Charleston/Savannah), then I'll fly home.

We are leaving Wednesday after work (not sure on exact time) and thinking we can make it to NJ (4 hours) or maybe DE (5 hours) that night.
Next day, I'm thinking we'll stop somewhere in North Carolina? Any cute towns people would recommend? We are happy to take our time with this part of the trip. So doesn't have to be right off the highway.

Then probably Charleston Friday night and Savannah Saturday and Sunday. But it's all still a work in progress.

We just did Savannah a couple weeks ago. We enjoyed it but we didn't do anything particular. We were only half vaxxed at the time and DH did not want to get on any crowded tours so we just walked around. A lot. We ate at Treyler Park (there was a couple variations of this place also - Hitch and Double Wide). The food and service was good. Also ate at Lady and Sons (Paula Dean restaurant) - that food was meh and service was slower than slow. Would recommend a Cracker Barrel over them lol. Same food. I think the 3rd night was a build your own pizza place - nothing exciting. Our best "meal" was at Ghost Coast Distillery (note there was actually no food here just drinks). We had it for lunch one day and I can say I was the happiest leaving this place. lol My drinks were so pretty and yummy.

B84FBEEA-0B8F-40AE-B90B-A26CBCCB4F87.png

We just did Savannah a couple weeks ago. We enjoyed it but we didn't do anything particular. We were only half vaxxed at the time and DH did not want to get on any crowded tours so we just walked around. A lot. We ate at Treyler Park (there was a couple variations of this place also - Hitch and Double Wide). The food and service was good. Also ate at Lady and Sons (Paula Dean restaurant) - that food was meh and service was slower than slow. Would recommend a Cracker Barrel over them lol. Same food. I think the 3rd night was a build your own pizza place - nothing exciting. Our best "meal" was at Ghost Coast Distillery (note there was actually no food here just drinks). We had it for lunch one day and I can say I was the happiest leaving this place. lol My drinks were so pretty and yummy.

View attachment 572597
I LOVE Savannah. The city planning and the well preserved urban layout are perfection. If you have time, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is a great read that captures the city's personality. We also ate at Treyler Park and enjoyed it the food and drinks. Our favorite was the basement bar at The Olde Pink House - the restaurant is supposed to be one of Savannah's best but the bar was unique, you can get food there, and we didn't need a reservation. My kids favorite was an Churchill's English pub.

I LOVE Savannah. The city planning and the well preserved urban layout are perfection. If you have time, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is a great read that captures the city's personality. We also ate at Treyler Park and enjoyed it the food and drinks. Our favorite was the basement bar at The Olde Pink House - the restaurant is supposed to be one of Savannah's best but the bar was unique, you can get food there, and we didn't need a reservation. My kids favorite was an Churchill's English pub.

I put that book on digital hold a few weeks before our trip and just yesterday got the notification that it is ready for checkout. I was surprised it had such a long hold for a book that has been around for awhile. I think I may have read it years ago, but since I can’t remember it will be new to me either way. Lol.

Thank you! Too many good choices and not enough time! I think I might have to settle for the movie of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. We're leaving day after tomorrow!

Looking for recommendations on which downtown Denver Hyatt to choose. DS and I are heading in for the weekend Brewers v Rockies series in June.

I thank you in advance!
I’ve stayed at the Hyatt regency by the convention center Pre-COVID. It was very nice. It was for a conference so I didn’t pick it or pay for it! It is really close to the 16th street mall space. Close to shopping and food. It looks like there is a Hyatt house/place close by as well.
https://www.denver.org/things-to-do/denver-attractions/16th-street-mall/

We just got our son a CARES harness. Might be less restricting than a regular car seat.
I looked into that but we’ll need the car seat when we land so I figured he can sit in it for the short time it takes to take off and land. Then we’ll probably put him on our laps the rest of the time. He’s gonna have a hard time not running around. He never stops moving. I’m also worried about his naps

I looked into that but we’ll need the car seat when we land so I figured he can sit in it for the short time it takes to take off and land. Then we’ll probably put him on our laps the rest of the time. He’s gonna have a hard time not running around. He never stops moving. I’m also worried about his naps
Remember to give something to chew on during take-off and landing. The pressure can be painful on their little ear drums.

Hoping our Panama canal cruise next year is a go. Happy to have found a Hyatt not too far from the departure port so I could use a FN cert the evening beforehand. The cruise ends in San Diego and we are planing to spend a couple of days in DLR post cruise. Today, I managed to a non stop direct flight LAX-MIA with lie flat seats on a web special with AA for 22k per person! So excited to have found that!

I'm the dirty office person. I'm hoping my $400 in VGC is hidden somewhere in the mess.
Didn't look there, but my school bag is never in the back seat. I'll look though....

They call me that, too ... At least I keep my work area tidy :D

And to be clear, you're gonna look under the front passenger seat, from behind, right? Fingers crossed

Last day of the AA sweepstakes, don't forget to use up your stored spins!

Total haul for me and DH is just a tad over 20k. :D

Nice! I saved up to win the Grand Prize, since I have 81 entries and 0 wins :thumbsup2

I searched the pics and didn't see any abandoned pizza boxes so, you are good for now. ...
But did you see a GC? :D

I might be doing a very last minute trip this weekend with my sister to either Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA. I've never been to either one. Any hotel or restaurant recommendations? Any strong opinions on one over the other for a weekend?
We love Charleston! There are so many good restaurants in Charleston. that we literally just eat all day. We usually just walk around looking at all the gardens and strolling in the shops and EAT! We much prefer Charleston to Savannah.

We also love HHI! Lots of great places to eat there as well.

Thank you! Too many good choices and not enough time! I think I might have to settle for the movie of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. We're leaving day after tomorrow!

I've visited Savannah a few times and one of the most interesting was when we joined a walking tour and it was just us four in the group. She took us around the historic area, explained a lot of the history, and made it come to life. We also got a tour of the Pirates House that someone mentioned earlier but we didn't choose to eat there. She pointed out a lot of the historic homes that open for garden tours at certain times, but I've never had the time to do that. It was worth the small money we paid and I would do it again. Maybe a Ghost walk next time.

Paula Dean's Lady and Sons - I've eaten there 3 times. The first time was good comfort food. The 2nd time was okay. In November 2019, ate there because a friend had never been and wanted to go. It had really gone downhill and felt like a 3rd rate cafeteria. I won't go back.

When I'm in the South I have to have pralines. River Street Sweets makes them along with tons of other sugary stuff. You have to go down the steps from the level PD's is on to get to the street closer to the water. There are a lot of restaurants in that area as well. I don't really know what's good as things just change a lot.

Anyway, lovely city to wander around in the downtown/historic area.

Charleston - Taking a carriage tour was fun! The guide was funny and informative and gave a lot of tips on places to eat and drink at as we clip clopped past. They also have walking tours, old churches, interesting homes behind gates in walled gardens.
Last time I was there we ate at McCrady's Restaurant and it was very good - following the fresh from the farm trend.

You can do a Plantation tour - we did Magnolia. or take a boat tour of the harbor and see fort sumter.

I also had an excellent dinner at Peninsula Grill in Planters Inn. And an excellent brunch at a place I can't remember the name of.

Lived in Charleston for a part of a year back in 1979 - but we were too broke then to do much that was special, so mostly went to the beach or walked around downtown. Still, it was nice and before the hurricane blew downtown away and changed/destroyed a lot of history.

Checked in to OKW today, upgraded to a 2 bedroom from a 1 bedroom. The kids are quite happy. They should be happy since they've blown through the majority of my DGC money the past three days. I enjoy the festivals at Epcot, but they are not cheap lol I hopped on to Sams to buy a giftcard with Discover this morning, it's still not been sent. Throught I'd try Target for 5%, but seems I left my Target card at home :badpc:

On to Plan B, move my grocery shopping to CSR, use CSR for Disney purchases the rest of the trip and then erase them. Or, stop at a grocery store and buy a DGC tonight. Any other ideas? Is grocery still coding 3x on CSR or did that end at some point? I'm assuming Disney quick service does not code as dining on CSR.

It is really hot here, but it's not nearly as rainy as it has been at home.

Last edited:
My flight is gone!! I’ve been looking for the change window on my July 28th flight on SW. I just looked tonight and my flight is not showing as an option anymore. No email yet and my account still shows that flight. Good news is they have a lot more options than they did when I first booked and good times. Bad news is the rental car situation and not sure if I get in later, they will still have my car. I don’t want to rebook my car at twice the cost of what I already have. Off to get this straightened out.

I feel you about our little boys having a hard time not running around. Luckily for me, mine is happy as a pea in his carseat so I'm hoping the harness feels the same way to him. We are going to practice right before on a chair at home. I'm looking to download a couple of his favorite shows on the iPad and bring some flip a flap books for him to go through. I've heard stickers are a big hit for little kids too so I might get a sticker book from the store for him to play with. It'll be something new so hopefully it will be a hit!

Maybe think about flying during his nap times? Maybe the motion of the plane will lull him to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter