I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't have anything to do with this part of the discussion, but you don't have Menards?? I LOVE Menards!!

Ok back to points...for some reason I decided to login to my Bonvoy account this afternoon, and at the point saw I had a 60k reservation booked at the Dolphin that I had not cancelled, for 10/16! Oh my, almost burned 60k on nothing!!!

Ha ha. Yes we do have Menards! My Husband, Dad and Brothers all say that if you can't find it at Menards, then you don't need it... ( I disagree but it is a nice variety of things). I don't think they sell Visa Gift Cards though...

Ha ha. Yes we do have Menards! My Husband, Dad and Brothers all say that if you can't find it at Menards, then you don't need it... ( I disagree but it is a nice variety of things). I don't think they sell Visa Gift Cards though...
Amen!!!! We always walk out with the widest variety of stuff, including food, everytime we go.

What site would you all recommend for a free credit report?
Want to check and see if a closed store card was reported.

Does anyone know any Grocery or Home improvement stores that have $500 Visa cards. Was just at Lowes and they only go up to $200. Figured I would get some before the end if the month eith PYB if available
You can get them at a CVS pharmacy. That's where we go to get gift cards.

If I book flights with URs directly through the Chase portal, and then have to cancel (assuming the terms allow refund), is the refund given as UR credits?
They are supposed to, there have been a lot of reports of people having fights with Chase and Expedia to get their UR back.
so you need to have clear and precheck also?
Clear takes you to the front of whatever line you would go to, if you have Pre you go to the front of the Pre line, if you don't you go to the front of the regular line. Most people that are spending the money on Clear have also spent the money on Pre.
Creditkarma
CreditCheckTotal which is operated by Experian. It will also give you actual FICO scores.

Any Portland OR residents/experts here? Looking for a hotel(s) to bookend (arrival and departure days) my Crater Lake trip next September. Where is a nice area to stay in for just one night? I do want to visit the Japanese Garden/Washington Park area but don't have any other must dos in Portland.
Thanks.
will you have a car? i have never stayed in portland and generally avoid the "big Town" but do live within 20 miles. the high end hotels are mostly not chains. if i was going to look for a hotel i'd look riverfront, down town and close to the lightrail. portland is currently over run with homeless, it is ugly on the street.

We did the train ride once. Definitely a slow boring ride, but a fun unique way of experiencing the GC, or the Forrest area near the canyon. You don't actually see the canyon from the train or anything. We were staying at the hotel where the depot is located, so we just did round trip in 1 day, but I would like to stay at one of the hotels on the rim. Seems like it'd be a fun experience.
We stayed at that hotel, left our car there, rode the train to the canyon, stayed 2 nights at the rim and rode the train back. I paid for "first class" on the way in and we enjoyed snacks and drinks plus comfy seats. On the way back I figured we had already done that so went cheap. Ugh, hot crowded, no AC. Upgrading is the way you go. Lol.
This doesn't have anything to do with this part of the discussion, but you don't have Menards?? I LOVE Menards!!

Ok back to points...for some reason I decided to login to my Bonvoy account this afternoon, and at the point saw I had a 60k reservation booked at the Dolphin that I had not cancelled, for 10/16! Oh my, almost burned 60k on nothing!!!
I love Menard's too. It's quirky but prices are good and often selection is better than Lowe's or HD. Have been spending way too much there lately

will you have a car? i have never stayed in portland and generally avoid the "big Town" but do live within 20 miles. the high end hotels are mostly not chains. if i was going to look for a hotel i'd look riverfront, down town and close to the lightrail. portland is currently over run with homeless, it is ugly on the street.
Yes, I’ll have a car. Driving columbia river gorge, mt hood , crater lake and the coast. I am only planning to stay in Portland for the day I fly in (depending on when the flight gets in) and then when I leave. I’ve been doing more research on TripAdvisor. I think I’ll avoid staying downtown.

Sort of a side note based on other comments. . . I don’t mind motel-y:D. I’ll probably try to use one of my FNCs from either IHG or Marriott. Not being high end won’t bug me! I do want clean, though!!

Has anyone ever cruised on MSC? We’re looking at doing a Caribbean cruise for our spring break, and they’re the only (non-Carnival) cruise line I could find that doesn’t charge a full rate to add a 1 year old to the room.

We’ve only cruised once before (on Holland) and we enjoyed it - we don’t need anything crazy.

Has anyone ever cruised on MSC? We’re looking at doing a Caribbean cruise for our spring break, and they’re the only (non-Carnival) cruise line I could find that doesn’t charge a full rate to add a 1 year old to the room.

We’ve only cruised once before (on Holland) and we enjoyed it - we don’t need anything crazy.

We did MSC Seaview in the Med a few years ago. Are you looking at the Seashore? That would be a sister ship. I thought the ship was beautiful. Some service issues being told different things, but we were one of the first sailings. Thought the food in the main dining room wasn't as good as other cruise lines we've sailed, but buffet and specialty dining were good. Kids - did not - like the kids club. Seems they had to do whatever activity was going on, no choice. DS didn't like having to dance lol.

We've also done Disney, Carnival, NCL, and RCCL (long time ago, so probably shouldn't count that). MSC would be on the bottom of my list. But I'd sail them again for the right itinerary and price.

So I’m reading elsewhere that pyb is going away except for select charities at end of month now.... just rumors or confirmed? I think I’ve used what I plan to for that but.....

I love Menard's too. It's quirky but prices are good and often selection is better than Lowe's or HD. Have been spending way too much there lately

The one downside of the rebates is when you keep sending a bunch in and get a few hundred dollars back you realize what you've spent. :rotfl2: I actually pass a Lowes and HD to get to Menards. Prefer it much better. For the most part prices are better, the only thing I don't like is they won't cut anything down and never clearance anything super low, they'd rather store it upstairs then let it go cheap.

We've sailed them twice. The newer MSC cruise ships are beautiful but it was a matter of beauty over function. Lol. Service was a bit lacking in comparison to other lines. As for food, we felt that the ingredients were top quality but execution could be poor and inconsistent. On lobster night, DH and I had PERFECTLY cooked and seasoned lobsters. BIL had an over salted inedible lobster! BIL was the biggest guy with the biggest appetite and yet it never failed that he was served the obviously smallest portion!! Even the 7 yo got a bigger steak than he did. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:Pizza is one area that they excelled at. We had the best and freshest pizza at sea on the MSC. And the gelato was the bomb!

We status matched to the highest level loyalty level (Black, I think). Status is retained for 3 years only unless you sail on them in the meantime. So, we will cruise them when the price and itinerary are right. We will just tailor our expectations.

I will try to find my mini trip report for the first time we sailed on her and post it for you (if I find it).

I would also choose Carnival over MSC hands down. Try to avoid the older ships and shorter itineraries as those tend to be less impressive on Carnival (same with NCL and RCL), but the 7+ nt on newer ships are usually much better than anything on MSC.

I need to try and find them at a Grocery or Home Improvement store so I can take advantage of PYB with my CSR before then end of the month.

Do you have a Whole Foods? Ours sells VGCs. I'm not sure if they have the $500s though. We buy a lot of Amazon GCs there and they are variable and go up to $500. They now have a ton of GCs there (and count as 4x or whatever your grocery multiplier is).

We've sailed them twice. The newer MSC cruise ships are beautiful but it was a matter of beauty over function. Lol. Service was a bit lacking in comparison to other lines. As for food, we felt that the ingredients were top quality but execution could be poor and inconsistent. On lobster night, DH and I had PERFECTLY cooked and seasoned lobsters. BIL had an over salted inedible lobster! BIL was the biggest guy with the biggest appetite and yet it never failed that he was served the obviously smallest portion!! Even the 7 yo got a bigger steak than he did. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:Pizza is one area that they excelled at. We had the best and freshest pizza at sea on the MSC. And the gelato was the bomb!

We status matched to the highest level loyalty level (Black, I think). Status is retained for 3 years only unless you sail on them in the meantime. So, we will cruise them when the price and itinerary are right. We will just tailor our expectations.

I will try to find my mini trip report for the first time we sailed on her and post it for you (if I find it).

We did the first US sailing of the MSC Seaside, aka shake down over over Christmas 2017. This was the first of 2 MSC cruises. It was a big family reunion on DH's side of the family. I think there were 17 of us on board. It was the first time in years that we shared a cabin (balcony) with our girls.

The Seaside is a GORGEOUS ship!! Beautiful design with LOTS of open public meeting spaces. Great for family and group reunions such as ours.

However, it is definitely a matter of them choosing design over functionality. There was plenty of “what in the world were they thinking” moments. This was most noticeable (for me) in the lack of cabin storage. It was the least of any ship I had been on and we had overpacked with 4 in the cabin. Very frustrating.

Service was very problematic shipwide. I can forgive a lot due to growing pains. Nothing horrible happened to us. But hearing complaints seemed to be the topic of conversations on board with other passengers. DH and I believe it is a middle and upper management problem and not the crew trying to do their best. We saw a LOT of uniformed personnel on board strolling around, ordering from bars/cafes, etc., they looked like they were on vacation. Hardly any rolled up their sleeves to pitch in when service was logged up, in fact, they just added to the back up.

I wish Management was open to constructive criticism and looking for ways to tweak the product and ship based on the pax experience. After all, they ordered more ships. But there was nary a comment card on board. I asked everywhere. I had actually wanted to compliment a crew member and knew how important pax feedback was to the performance reviews on other cruise lines. Well apparently not on MSC. No wonder why many of the crew seemed to be so lack luster. There is apparently an online comment card to fill out once we are home.

Food is always subjective. Their pizza was GREAT. Lots of QUALITY ingredients overall. But not always executed well. Inconsistent preparation. Portion sizes varied greatly from dish to dish and even among the same item. I never went hungry (except when I was sick) but I was never overly tempted to over eat either. Vegetables were lacking. Not available at buffets and minimal as sides in the dining room. Fresh fruit was more varied than NCL though. They had pineapple, papaya, kiwi and star fruit available! Since I am allergic to cantaloupe and honey dew, this was great for me.

Would I recommend the MSC Seaside? Maybe if only to see the ship. If service is a big deal to you, definitely wait a while until the kinks are worked out.

Would I pick the Seaside again if I had a do-over? Probably. It was still the best deal in term of price for a holiday cruise for our large group. The lower price was probably due to the fact that it was in fact a shake down cruise.

MSC needs to step up their game if they want to increase their fares though. I‘m going to cruise where the best value is. If prices are the same, I’ll pick NCL over MSC, knowing they are both mass market cruiselines and feeling that NCL does it better. If I want to splurge, I’ll pick Celebrity because I had the best service there so far. I’m still too cheap to cruise the really premium cruiselines, especially, since we don‘t drink.

I purchased 18 alcoholic beverage vouchers before boarding (they discontinued the vouchers since then) and between DH and myself, we still have 2 left after giving some away to family and even using some for bottled water and ginger ale.

I don't want to come across as a whiner and complainer, since I have a lot more non-complimentary comments. None of these individual criticisms ruined our cruise. In fact, we had a great time. But we hope that certain things do improve in the future and they actually learn from the shake down cruises instead of sweeping it under the rug.

Funny story: My BIL and nephew went scuba diving in St. Thomas and happened to share a boat dive with a marketing executive with MSC corporate who was in charge of handling the celebrities such as Sophia Loren and Ricky Martin, etc. He had to work at the inaugural party and got a free cruise on the Seaside for him and his family for this holiday week as part of his reward. He told them that he had no problems selling this cruise, but he wouldn't take it again himself! He also pointed out a top executive (CFO?) on the beach with his family and told my BIL that is who he should complain to in order to get his money back.
😯
Our cruise was NOT bad but we were literally surrounded by people complaining including a MSC executive!!

Btw, my only "real" complaint is the lack of safety training on the ship. We noticed a LOT of things "broken" on the new ship. Fire safety doors to/from the buffet kitchen that would lock the crew out (panic bars not working) so, that later on in the cruise, they disabled the self locking mechanism and left it ajar. My nephew noticed only 2 bolts on the fire suppression equipment (?) out of the 4 bolt holes. If there was a fire, and they needed to use it, he is guessing that the pressure of the water would blow that entire box apart. (His words. I didn't see the box myself.) The BIGGEST thing: My family was walking out of the buffet after eating when we saw one of those big industrial toasters on FIRE. There were actually FLAMES shooting up in the air. Some idiot passenger probably put some sort of pastry in the thing and the sugar caught on fire. There were a few passengers standing around trying to flag down the crew who did not seem to care. Crew was walking behind the darn thing and just walked away!! DH went up to it and turned off the appliance and then used tongs to pull the burning food out. Meanwhile, there was still no crew around, they all scattered. There was a tall European screaming at the top of his lungs that some F'ing crew member better get over here to make sure the ship didn't burn down! Once we knew the fire was out, we left and didn't see the rest of the drama or how long it took the crew to get there. With a fire, seconds count!! If DH didn't put it out so fast, it would have spread so easily! I've seen drills on other ships and they take this seriously. No crew in the vicinity of a real fire on Seaside seemed too concerned.

We did a second MSC cruise on the MSC Divina with my parents in Jan 2020 before COVID news spread around the world. I think I got a great deal on it. We thought it would the first of many cruises and trips as empty nesters! Still waiting for that...

MSC may not be for everyone but we really enjoyed it. We met people who loved MSC and those who didn’t.

Food is subjective , of course, but we enjoyed the food. Sometimes it seemed that nothing on the menu appealed so we ordered “whatever” and was pleasantly surprised when we enjoyed it. The biggest disappointment was Butchers Cut, the paid specialty restaurant. DH and I are diamond status members due to status match to NCL. So we got a free dinner for 2. We paid OOP for my parents. That is $120 that we will never get back. Lol. The service was blah and the food was not great. I mean how do you mess up steak? Mom said the free NY sirloin in the dining room was 100 times better.

DH did not enjoy the buffet breakfast but as long as my parents had hot oatmeal and fresh fruit and I had chocolate croissants, we were happy. MSC had great pizza and it was available all the time!

I also really enjoyed MSC entertainment (when I went). Music, acrobatics, dancing and short. No need for boring story lines.

The MSC private island, Ocean Cay, was worth the wait and worth the cruise fare. Absolutely the perfect beach day. Gorgeous and big enough to not feel crowded. All walkable with the furthest part about a 20 min walk from the ship. Once the trees mature, there will be plenty of shade. In the mean time, you can rent an umbrella. We found a shady spot under some trees away from crowds and spent a few blissful hours there.

Service is hit or miss but nothing bad or great. I booked a 50 min massage, Internet package, and a color, cut & shampoo, all for $190 before boarding. There was absolutely no invoices or extra tipping on board, which was very nice.

We did not have a beverage package and didn’t need one. There were FREE drinks available every day, at the cruisecritic party, the welcome party, the diamond member party, and there was even a happy hour at all bars one day with free sparkling wine from 6pm-7pm? We actually didn’t drink at all, got the non-alcoholic fruity drink at those events and then started skipping said events.

We had an early dinner sitting at 6pm and was lucky enough to have a 4 top. My parents lucked out and got a cabin on the 8th floor right by the aft elevators and stairs. Super convenient to the dining room (6 aft) and the buffet (14 aft). They also snagged a cabin with a bathtub! My Dad enjoys a soak. We were all the way forward, also on the 8th. Our cabin was bigger and has a full loveseat instead of a chair because our bathroom was smaller with a shower instead of a tub. So we were happy. The long walk was good for us anyway after the eating so much.

There seemed to be more storage space over the MSC Seaside and the cabin seems spacious for just the 2 of us.

All in all, if the price is right, we will be back, if only to keep our diamond status which is very nice. Got priority embarkation and a few freebies. Never got my free chocolate ship but didn’t care as I wouldn’t have eaten it anyway. Liked our free MSC baseball caps, even though they are only $10 to buy on the ship. We got white last time, this time we got blue!

HTH, let me know if you have any questions.

Do you have a Whole Foods? Ours sells VGCs. I'm not sure if they have the $500s though. We buy a lot of Amazon GCs there and they are variable and go up to $500. They now have a ton of GCs there (and count as 4x or whatever your grocery multiplier is).
I do have a Whole foods right down the street. I will have to stop there and see what they have. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter