• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! And thank you for your early reply a couple of days ago. 🙂 You all are a wealth of knowledge. I’m really excited to start using points more efficiently. For the past 5 years, all I’ve done is build up points slowly on purchases - also great, but definitely not AS great.
Haha, thanks. I feel like I barely know the basics, and still find super great tricks from others here daily!

Thank you so much for the replies! I worked a couple of night shifts and didn’t log back on to answer the responses.

This might be an elementary question, but if I currently have Chase Freedom Unlimited with points on it, when I get the CSR, I can transfer my points over and use them for a pay yourself back credit immediately, correct?

edited to add - I hit reply too quick:
I’m purchasing a countertop soon from Lowe’s Hardware. I planned to use my current points for it, but now I’m wondering if I can get the extra discount with the Pay Yourself Back feature!
Yes you can transfer the points from your CFU to the CSR...in order to use the PYB...you’d pay for the countertop with the CSR

Our house listing went live today. About 15 showings booked up today and 10 tomorrow. I think it’s rude for people to book half hour showings on the quarter hour when everyone else in on the half hour. So there’s a 1-1:30 showing and then someone books 1:45-2:15! Actually, 3 of the 15 minute in between appts were also booked. People are desperate for houses to buy! Good for us.

WWYD? TSA/GE.

I have TSA precheck currently. It expires on 10/2022. I didn't have a passport at the time which is why I went w/ it vs GE. I have one card that I have a GE/TSA credit on (my IHG card). I was thinking of getting my 16yo TSA precheck as she does fly solo to see her "other family" in TX (it's her bffs who moved there). And my children are spoiled getting it when they fly with me. She's also flying in/out of DFW when she visits, so I'm sure that helps cut down some time for her.

But now I have a passport and a BF who's a pilot, LOL. We don't have any plans to fly international right now, but we have talked about it. He's got clearance to skip all lines and enter/exit via secret locations (as I like to joke). Would having GE be beneficial sooner than later? I guess I'm asking if I'm coming back from the Caribbean or Mexico (the only 2 places we might go), how much of a pain is customs?

My thinking is, I'm kinda losing out on a year of TSA if I get GE now, and I would be using the credit vs having my 16yo get TSA. At the same time, I'm thinking of getting her a passport soon (I just need to verify how long it's good, we need them for her 18th in Ireland), so it might make sense to hold off on hers too, and get her GE. I guess if I go international this summer, I don't want my BF upset that he gets to clear everything super fast and has to wait for me.

I have the IHG credit now, and the Chase will be able to be used April 2022 (I think). I guess in reality my daughter might be flying 3 or 4 times tops solo between now and next April. So maybe she can wait (first world problems). So do I "waste" a year of TSA precheck (I have) or is customs not that bad, lol?

Flight crews typically clear quite quickly, like you said. If it’s an airport like O’Hare or Detroit, I’d definitely want to have global entry. In my experience with smaller airports processing just one international flight, if you’re seated towards the back of the plane, Global Entry doesn’t speed you up too much. Maybe others can make a recommendation if you remind me of your home airport?

I believe you’ll need a valid passport to apply, so maybe factor that into your timeline of “wasted TSA precheck.”

Back from spring break up in Lake Tahoe. Stayed at the Hyatt Residence Club Lake Tahoe, High Sierra Lodge. Now just one more night to the Bonus Journeys FNC. The lake is so clear and such a beautiful shade of blue. I put up a review on the hotel thread.

CD09FF28-C186-4139-AEAD-27FD1DEFDA99.jpeg

i just finishing speaking with Virgin Atlantic to change the first leg of my October Japan trip to next March. They refunded the points and taxes for my roundtrip and reticketed my outbound flight as a one-way without a problem. Then I'll call back in a couple weeks and book the return as a one-way. It was really smooth and the ticketing agent (we had the same name!) was so lovely and helpful. Fingers crossed this trip actually happens this time - we were originally due to be leaving in about three weeks.

Edit: @afan, tagging you since you are looking at rebooking a VS/ANA trip this year too.

Last edited:

You save the most amount by maxing both and doing the Southwest first, just in case you run out of spend.

My offers were 5% up to a max $1500 spend on both cards.

I have the Hyatt offer and the Disney offer. Hyatt points are worth more to me so I'll spend that $1500 first. That will get me 7500 Hyatt points which will be worth at least $150. Then I'll continue and do the Disney 5%, worth $75 to me.

I looked over what had to be paid in the next 3 months and found groceries, utilities, insurance premiums, easily equaling the 3K spend I needed and then some. My other 'best' cards are 4%,3% or 2% or lower, plus a 5% business card at office stores. I already paid 3 months ahead on my electric bill, so I've almost finished the Hyatt card, less than 2 weeks in, between the electric, one insurance bill, groceries and my natural gas bill.
I looked a few different ways on my cards...I found no bonus spend offer anywhere:confused3

Not sure who was discussing, but you can't change your companion for southwest online, you have to call in (up to 3 changes for calendar year).
Really? I recall changing it a year or so back online..... (but this was prior to Covid,did that change things?)

3 months is a good rule of thumb if you want to keep getting Chase cards. Getting 2 closer together might be ok, but the next one you’d want to wait even longer. Keeping your velocity low enough for approvals is more of a cumulative thing.

The United Quest offer ends 6/2, so that may factor in which you do first. It’ll take you to 4/24 if the Spark card is on your credit report. Also make sure you don’t have any store cards or AU cards that might count.
Thank you for the feedback. I just checked my credit report and it looks like I have $104,000 in credit (not ncluding the $44,000 CL from my CIP.)
Should I decrease my CL from some or all of my Chase cards or from my AMEx cards which I rarely use? I also have $20,000 CL on my Spark biz card which does show up on my report and factors in that $104,000. I kept the Spark card open to keep the miles I earned last year from a huge sign up bonus. I also have a small automatic charge on it to keep it active. Tomorrow is exactly 3 months for applying for my CIP. I’m ready to make some large purchases from Office Max for our business, hence the reason for the CIC. I can wait till the end of May to apply for the United Quest. Hopefully there will be a support link for the new United Quest card. DH does have a United Explorer so it would be nice to support a family member for once. 😊

Really? I recall changing it a year or so back online..... (but this was prior to Covid,did that change things?)

I think this is my third companion pass and have never been able to change the companion online, if my memory is correct, when you earn the CP the initial person you can add online. Maybe they were trying something out on your account? When I call to change they always mention how many more changes I have, so I wonder if they may have tried it but ran into problems at some point?

DP: Some of you may have the AO to spend $500 and get a $25 statement credit and the 10% back up to $50 credit for Lowe’s. I had always planned on stacking the offers to buy a $500 Disney Gift card at Lowe’s and get $75 in savings. The Lowe’s I usually frequent would not allow credit card payment for gift card purchases. This was an unexpected roadblock. I decided to try another location a few weeks later. It took an upper level manager override. I could see the screen prompt and it mentioned high value purchase. I wonder if it got flagged because it was a variable card. Maybe if I’d purchased 10 of the $50 DGCs it wouldn’t have been flagged. In any case the manger allowed me to purchase it so it seems it is a YMMV.

Flight crews typically clear quite quickly, like you said. If it’s an airport like O’Hare or Detroit, I’d definitely want to have global entry. In my experience with smaller airports processing just one international flight, if you’re seated towards the back of the plane, Global Entry doesn’t speed you up too much. Maybe others can make a recommendation if you remind me of your home airport?

I believe you’ll need a valid passport to apply, so maybe factor that into your timeline of “wasted TSA precheck.”

My airport is DTW. He likely wouldn't be the pilot on any international travel (as that means our trip would be a day, LOL), but like I said, he has special places he disappears to when at the airport, LOL.

I have my passport now, which is why I was going to do GE. But I'm basically losing a year of my TSA precheck that I'll still have. Actually 1.5 years since it expires in Oct 2022. I'm kinda leaning towards just holding off on mine and maybe getting the 16yo her passport and then getting her GE as well.

To quote Jimmy Buffett "Indecision may or may not be my problem". I overthink everything!

Thank you for the feedback. I just checked my credit report and it looks like I have $104,000 in credit (not ncluding the $44,000 CL from my CIP.)
Should I decrease my CL from some or all of my Chase cards or from my AMEx cards which I rarely use? I also have $20,000 CL on my Spark biz card which does show up on my report and factors in that $104,000. I kept the Spark card open to keep the miles I earned last year from a huge sign up bonus. I also have a small automatic charge on it to keep it active. Tomorrow is exactly 3 months for applying for my CIP. I’m ready to make some large purchases from Office Max for our business, hence the reason for the CIC. I can wait till the end of May to apply for the United Quest. Hopefully there will be a support link for the new United Quest card. DH does have a United Explorer so it would be nice to support a family member for once. 😊
If you are going to apply for Chase I'd just decrease the CL on your Chase cards, specifically some of that $44K on a CIP. Chase only cares about the CL you have with them. Of course the other limits do play a part in your credit score, but I'm not as concerned about that. I think the rule of thumb for Chase is <50% of your income or <70 or 80K max. Since I don't have a need for anywhere near 50% of my income I reduce to more like 20-30%.

DP: Some of you may have the AO to spend $500 and get a $25 statement credit and the 10% back up to $50 credit for Lowe’s. I had always planned on stacking the offers to buy a $500 Disney Gift card at Lowe’s and get $75 in savings. The Lowe’s I usually frequent would not allow credit card payment for gift card purchases. This was an unexpected roadblock. I decided to try another location a few weeks later. It took an upper level manager override. I could see the screen prompt and it mentioned high value purchase. I wonder if it got flagged because it was a variable card. Maybe if I’d purchased 10 of the $50 DGCs it wouldn’t have been flagged. In any case the manger allowed me to purchase it so it seems it is a YMMV.
That's good you got it to go through. I've found buying gift cards at Lowe's to be a hassle. Sometimes they tell me to go the customer service, then customer service sends me back to the checkout. This last time I was sent to customer service and tried to do >$500 to double dip as you were trying. The first lady tried it, but the system wouldn't let her. I was doing $200 VCG so I was at $600. Second person said it is a max of $400, which wouldn't make much sense if you have other variables like Disney for up to $500. For now on I'll just stick with $400 at a time.

i just finishing speaking with Virgin Atlantic to change the first leg of my October Japan trip to next March. They refunded the points and taxes for my roundtrip and reticketed my outbound flight as a one-way without a problem. Then I'll call back in a couple weeks and book the return as a one-way. It was really smooth and the ticketing agent (we had the same name!) was so lovely and helpful. Fingers crossed this trip actually happens this time - we were originally due to be leaving in about three weeks.

Edit: @afan, tagging you since you are looking at rebooking a VS/ANA trip this year too.

Good to know how it all worked. Still waiting until July or so to call and cancel but at least it'll be quick and the miles will be there when I can rebook in the fall.

Sorry I can’t find the earlier post about getting cash back from Dosh when doing the $15 off $300 in VGC at Office Depot, but it just worked for me. I bought a few things in addition to the GCs, so maybe that helped? Also, my Office Depot had never even heard of this promotion and had to look it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter