I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've learned something about SW and using TTF. If you break up your TTF into smaller "pieces", e.g. if you use $5.60 to pay for taxes and fees, then that smaller chunk remains a separate TTF even if the confirmation stays the same. AND it counts as one of your three forms of payment. I had assumed that if the confirmation is the same, it would go back into that confirmation's TTF "bank" but it does not. Just something to be wary of, as well as knowing that if you add new money to a fare partially paid with TTF then if you end up canceling ALL the funds take on the oldest expiration date, i.e. the one expiring soonest.

They announced out of PIT also. Looks like our nonstops right now are Providence, Hartford, Norfolk and Charleston.
Here is their route map

View attachment 576664
Just saw this. I live an hour from New Orleans and have a lot of family in Charleston and the surrounding areas. My wife and I will definitely look at a summer trip to bring our kids to Charleston.

That teen auto insurance is a killer. I remember those days only too well. Things are so much less expensive in retirement not having to pay kid insurance, tuition, and any number of things.

Thank you for adding this. At this point in DH & I's life, I feell like all we're doing to paying for ever increasing life expenses (Cars, car insurance, school) related to kids! Just knowing that it gets better is helpful.

And so a new adventure begins. Those of you who have followed my travels may recall that 2019’s unexpected hiccups included cutting our Japan trip short and narrowly escaping what was reported to become a deadly Tsunami, a 3 night Disney cruise that turned into 6 nights because Hurricane Dorian decided to hang out and not move and of course the added experience of being stranded in Scotland when all of British Airway flights got canceled during a system outage and taking an Uber all the way to London from Scotland so we would not miss our flight back home with an Uber driver that was happy to have an excuse not spend time with his mother in law, so he took our fare 😂

This is our first trip outside of Florida since the pandemic hit and clearly the Universe has decided to remind me it has a sense of humor when it comes to travel and so should I. The morning began with our friends in Orlando who are meeting with us in Hawaii, informing us at 4 am that their flight is delayed because American Airlines and TSA systems are down. I just knew this was essentially foreshadowing for how this morning was going to go.

We booked an Uber to go to the airport and I was shocked to see the pricing which used to range from $10-$12 is now $68-$100 and the closest one is 25 minutes out. 20 minutes comes and goes and we see on tracking that the driver winds up getting off the wrong exit, no where near us and then is not moving at all and won’t answer his phone. We cancel and decide to suck it up with long term parking and drive over ourselves. We get to the airport and the line to even get to the parking stretches back to the exit of the interstate! It will be well over and hour or more to get through that line which is at a complete standstill. No way we’d make the flight. PlanePrincess drops me off to go check in the bags while he sees about parking.

My uncoordinated self is doing a shuffle, nudge with knees and feet to navigate 5 bags by myself to check in. I must have looked like the world’s slowest and most inept herding dog with trying to keep all these bags together and moving in the same general direction. The long term parking line isn’t moving at all according to PlanePrincess so I told him to go find short term parking. That’s gonna cost an arm and a leg but whatever. Somehow after having a $1000 and 6 hour plus Uber drive from one country to another, everything seems reasonable in the name of making your flight. Silver lining, it will be 3 points on the dollar towards my next travel hacked trip.

We board the plane on time and move away from the gate. No sooner do we breathe a sigh of relief that we are on the way and should make our tight and against my better judgement, connection, the Captain announces that there is a maintenance issue. Of course there is 😏 We depart an hour later than we were scheduled and I see we are due to arrive at the exact time boarding for our connection ends. This should be fun 😳 At least I’ll get my cardio in today.

We ran to the gate and the Hawaii safe travel check in to get our wrist band and avoid a 3 hour line to be cleared once we arrive thanks to the United partnership with Hawaii safe travels. We are on board though! United Polaris is definitely worth earning miles for in my opinion.

View attachment 576642
Glad you made it. Have fun!

For folks flying out of PVD. This may be old news, but I just read that the new budget Breeze airlines will be at TFGreen. There are limited routes so far, but maybe they'll add mco at some point.

A nonstop to Charleston might be a great way to get to Hilton Head.

Has anyone actually used Breeze Airlines before? Are they any good?

Oooo I didn't know that. I'll have to keep an eye out for reviews then. Now I'm wishing I didn't bank the DVC points I had left over from this year so I can try for a reservation at the HHI resort for the summer.
Yeah, will be interesting. Since it's connected with Jet Blue, I'd be willing to take a chance.

I listed a bunch of stuff in my post and totally forgot Frank. I love love love Wright. In college, a million years ago, I took an architectural history course which counted towards history requirements. My final paper was on Wright's Home and Studio in Oak Park. Even today, I have an architectural drawing of one of his Oak Park homes in my dining room.

I'm an FLW junkie....though after learning about him as a person....ehhhh, LOL.

What is the Waldorf Astoria like? Would you recommend? Or do you prefer the W or Sheraton?

Depends on what you want. I had a FNC and had no where I could use it, so it was used at the Waldorf. It was nice, but it's not super close to the things we wanted to do. Parking was an insane price so I found a garage online that was close enough and parked there. I like the Sheraton best for the location. It's like the mid point between watertower and millennium part. Plus you can hop a river boat/taxi. The W is "hip and cool" and worked for the girls trip I was on.

No neither of us have had the aspire. I really want DH to apply for it but I was hoping for an upgrade offer to try to get the SUB twice.

How long did you have your surpass before you got the upgrade offer?
You want to make sure you do the Aspire outright first, then downgrade then upgrade. You can't do an upgrade and still get the SUB (unless I've been mistaken).

A nonstop to Charleston might be a great way to get to Hilton Head.

Has anyone actually used Breeze Airlines before? Are they any good?

I'm in a FA group, Breeze is 100% new. Apparently started by a former JetBlue exec.

DH earned one of his Hilton FNC last April and it was issued with an expiration of 8/31/21. It was before they made the expiration dates go through 2022 instead of 2021. Did Hilton extend these or do I need to use it by this August? I was hoping to save it for Hawaii but that trip won’t be happening by then so I can’t really think of a good use for it. He has 3 others that expire Aug thru Nov of 2022 and I was hoping to earn one more to string together a 5 night stay at GW instead of using points.

DH earned one of his Hilton FNC last April and it was issued with an expiration of 8/31/21. It was before they made the expiration dates go through 2022 instead of 2021. Did Hilton extend these or do I need to use it by this August? I was hoping to save it for Hawaii but that trip won’t be happening by then so I can’t really think of a good use for it. He has 3 others that expire Aug thru Nov of 2022 and I was hoping to earn one more to string together a 5 night stay at GW instead of using points.
The 2020 FNC have only been extended through August 2021, but I haven’t tried to call and ask for any extension. I’ve booked and had to cancel a few times, so maybe they’d have pity on how many times our travel plans have changed.

@calypso726 - glad you made the flight. I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Looks like DoC just updated and is saying $25 for WA, so with a guest it should be $50. We'll be there in August and honestly this may work better than breakfast for me. With a family of 5 we'll probably just eat something easy in the room and then save up the credits for dinner. I doubt it, but I have 2 rooms, wonder if I'd still just get the $50.

We were at a WA in SoCal last week and they gave us $40/room for breakfast, had to be used before 11am, etc. We could do take out, in room dining, or dine in the restaurants.

Wondering what to do next. I feel I have too many cards. My dh has citi, sapphire, amex surpass(aspire downgrade) and discover. I have soooo many. What should i get rid of? And what card should i get next? We charge 2k+ a month. Always pay in full. Airport Chicago ohare. I'd like to be able to pool our cc currencies. Tried to do the abbreviations and prob failed. Thanks!
Store cards:
Lowes, kohls, bestbuy...they are very old and keeping my cc history long and I do use them
No af cards:
Discover 2016
Amex everday 2019
Quick silver 2015
Amex basic hilton 2017
Usaa 2019 not sure in no af
Af cards:
AA advantage thru citi 2018 $95 have 25k miles
Hilton Aspire 2019 $450 have 750k hh
Chase SP just opened 4/21 $95 will have 80+ cur
Spirit Air 2018 $95 have 11k miles
Dh has 95k cur and 70k thank you(ty?) pts.
I want to rent a pool house in Orlando summer 22 and go jamaica or mexico this fall on hh. I'm just sort of hoarding currencies at this point, not sure how to spend the cur and ty points

We were at a WA in SoCal last week and they gave us $40/room for breakfast, had to be used before 11am, etc. We could do take out, in room dining, or dine in the restaurants.
Did you go to Monarch Beach? If so, did you like it? I'm thinking of using my expiring FNC there.

It's time to get a new card and I am looking for suggestions. My immediate thought is support DH for a CIU. However his Hilton Biz AF is going to hit in August and I kept it last year just because I didn't want to cancel his only Amex. I don't want to keep it another year so would like to have another Amex lined up (he does now have an AU card for my Plat, had to add him to make the spend)
Here’s our cards :

Me:
CIC (with EIN) - 1/21
Hyatt - 11/20
Jetblue Plus - 7/20
Amex Gold (upgraded to Plat 1/21) - 12/19
CIP - 11/19
Jetblue Biz - 7/19
Amazon Biz - 7/19

DH:
AU on Plat added 2/21 possibly dated to 12/19 card opening?
CSP - 9/20
SW plus - 1/20
SW Priority - 1/20
CIP- 10/19
Hilton Biz - 7/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter