I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone stayed in Salt Lake City? We have one night there this summer and I've got a Doubletree Suites Downtown booked on points that fits the 6 of us. We will only be in SLC for 1 night before heading out to Moab. After last week's awful Embassy Suites experience in Orlando, I looked at the reviews of this hotel a little more closely and it seems a bit older, showing its age. Only other options are Home2suites on points. How are Home2suites? I'd rather use HH points although I do have UR I could use for Hyatt as there are plenty of 8k hyatt points options. Thanks!

It was probably one closer to ogden where she works, but my bff stayed at a home2suites when she relocated and liked it. This was oct/Nov 2020.

And, tried to use a Visa gift card at Walmart which had $168 on it to buy a 98 cent tube of kids sparkle crest so that I would have toothpaste on hand that the grands would enjoy brushing their teeth with.

The poor cashier did everything she could and couldn't make it work. I told her it had to be run as credit but since I couldn't see her side I don't know what was happening. On my side it did not ask for a pin, so no ability to hit the green button.

I just dragged out a credit card. But, when I return on a less busy day, I will be ready to let it play out. She kept telling me it says the card is not activated. It was a $200 fee free from Staples that worked fine earlier and after my Walmart experience, Costco happily drained $66 xx from it.

I don't go into Walmart often enough that it matters to me and I don't MS, so no biggie. But a Visa card should work for a merchandise purchase there.

I've had weird issues with the Staples fee free VGC and Walmart. Card declined and then approved in the same transaction. First time, I ran it through, entered my pin, it failed. Second time, on the pin pad I hit Change Payment, then select Debit, then entered the pin. Makes no sense to me since both times it was running debit with pin, but I was just happy I got it on round 2.

While I'm thrilled to have two SW CPs in our family for '22-'23, I'm going to have to think long and hard before doing any of the VGC deals to generate spend in the future. The number of things the card fails at (tickets to a community theater, some online shopping, gas, etc) makes it incredibly frustrating. I have all these GCs but end up paying out of pocket far too often.

I am about to finish the spend on my SW biz card. I will get another 50,000 RR plus a few thousand from my spend. That will give me roughly 109,000 (give or take) since January. Will still need 16,000 (give or take) to get the CP. I was kind of thinking that I would refer DH and that would get me there but he just got a Venture X and we won't have that spend done for a while. I would like that CC sooner!

What are some ways to earn points besides cc and flying? I am not sure I do enough portal shopping. What else am I not thinking of?

ETA: Oh, I do have just over 16,000 UR in my account (way more in DH's but those are earmarked for a trip already) that I could transfer but I would have to upgrade one of my freedoms to do so. Could be an option. but would cost me the annual fee.

SW Dining points count toward CP, but bonuses from dining to not. It depends on what's in your area, but we have a few takeout places that Hubby and I like that are included, so we got a few points that way.

I also bought a SW GC with value to cover several of the $5.60 taxes and fees that you pay on CP or points flights. Counted as triple points on my card type and helped knock me over the top.

We preloaded our EZ Pass as well, which coded as local transit and gave double points. And, prepaid the rest of this year's cable bill for the double points there was well.

None of that on it's own is going to kick you over 16k in points, but it'll push the needle a bit.

I've had weird issues with the Staples fee free VGC and Walmart. Card declined and then approved in the same transaction. First time, I ran it through, entered my pin, it failed. Second time, on the pin pad I hit Change Payment, then select Debit, then entered the pin. Makes no sense to me since both times it was running debit with pin, but I was just happy I got it on round 2.

While I'm thrilled to have two SW CPs in our family for '22-'23, I'm going to have to think long and hard before doing any of the VGC deals to generate spend in the future. The number of things the card fails at (tickets to a community theater, some online shopping, gas, etc) makes it incredibly frustrating. I have all these GCs but end up paying out of pocket far too often.

Thanks for the explanation. Fortunately for me I am addicted to Costco shopping and they've drained easily there.

I have a big spend coming up ($12k) they take Amex and Mastercard. I don’t know why, but not visa. I’m currently 4/24 (next card drops in august). I think I’d like to get an Amex business card so it doesn’t count against my 4/24. Only Amex I’ve ever had are the Hilton Biz (closed last year, after having for 2 years) and currently have the Marrriott Biz.
I’m considering the Amex Biz Platinum, but finding that AF really hard to stomach. I’m seeing 120k MR for 15k spend. Is that a standard offer, does it get better?
The gold Biz is 70k MR for $10k spend. How’s that offer? Can I do better?
Any other cards I should be looking at?
I wouldn't mind building up some MRs, I’ve never had any.
I have SW CP and lots of points there, so I’m more interested in points for hotels over flights.
Any thoughts?

Mine is not showing points for my purchase on 3/12. I see the purchase in the history, but no points yet.

I'm seeing the same for my 3/11 purchase. It's in history by no points yet. Tried to open an inquiry about it, but apparently you can't do that until after 14 days.

I have met the spend on a SW Business back in January and I am now waiting for the SW Personal cards SUB to go back to 60,000 points to get a CP. Does anyone have any DPs from past years as to when Chase usually raises the SUB from 40K to 60K? Or maybe the better question is if we will see the 60K again at all?

I thought that but then saw something while googling that said differently. But I know you're right. Ugh. That would have been too easy.

Could have been a misunderstanding or miscommunication... Points Chase transfers that are part of your card earned benefits (Supports, $'s Spent, Bonus) are counted towards the CP, Points you move that already exist to SW do not count towards the CP but are available to spend on flights.

Also log into your SW account and see if they have any promotions for your card. They seem to run a few small spend bonus promotions now and then but not sure on a new card.

Last edited:
I have a big spend coming up ($12k) they take Amex and Mastercard. I don’t know why, but not visa. I’m currently 4/24 (next card drops in august). I think I’d like to get an Amex business card so it doesn’t count against my 4/24. Only Amex I’ve ever had are the Hilton Biz (closed last year, after having for 2 years) and currently have the Marrriott Biz.
I’m considering the Amex Biz Platinum, but finding that AF really hard to stomach. I’m seeing 120k MR for 15k spend. Is that a standard offer, does it get better?
I have SW CP and lots of points there, so I’m more interested in points for hotels over flights.
Any thoughts?

I've seen 150k MR for $15k spend quite often (or 90k MR for $10k on gold) - may need to go incognito to get. I did the Biz Gold 90k offer in Feb last year, and by July I had an upgrade offer to the Biz Plat for 130k/$10k. I am hoping to use the MRs on some international biz class travel for the 35% MR rebate.

Any thoughts?

On the plat biz, you might be able to pull up a support offer for 150k and 10x restaurants. Gold biz, there's a 90k offer or 90K plus 10k employee. I think this one isn't available via support. The AF is $295 and you don't get much for it. The 4x on restaurant and gas is nice though. The plat biz AF is more, but if you can use the credits, then that recoups some of it.

On both of these, after the account is open, you can look for an offer to add an employee card for 20k, $4000 spend. It would stack with the MSR.

I have met the spend on a SW Business back in January and I am now waiting for the SW Personal cards SUB to go back to 60,000 points to get a CP. Does anyone have any DPs from past years as to when Chase usually raises the SUB from 40K to 60K? Or maybe the better question is if we will see the 60K again at all?

There are historical charts here.

You can also get a CP with 2 biz cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter