I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spreadsheets listing cards opened, when closed, bonus earned, etc. I also have a list of points and miles on each account, which helps if you get hacked. The easiest way to not lose chase points is to transfer to one account when they post or when you pay the statement. I may leave a few hundred on a card, but as soon as a bonus posts, I move it.
That's a good idea-- maybe if I add the points balances to each card in my spreadsheet it will remind me to transfer. My spreadsheet is bare bones, mostly just dates/balances/AF. I'm just so mad because I've never NOT transferred points before. I guess it was just a combination of being out of practice for so long and also just the craziness going on with everything.

If you haven't, I agree with a PP that you should reach out to them and explain the extenuating circumstances and see if you can reinstate the card/points or just transfer the points. I really feel for you- 200k points is huge. I would be crushed. I'm so sorry.
Yeah my mood took a major nosedive yesterday over this. Still haven't fully recovered but there are bigger problems in the world. I did have DH call and plead the case but no dice. It's an expensive lesson for sure.

Moving on... my AF for my sapphires posted today (opened in '19). I like both of them, and happy to keep them open, but what is the best strategy is to prepare for the 48mo mark?

Chase offers an Aer Lingus card. I got one last fall (I think) and the SUB was 100k aer club/avios points, I can't recall the MSR, $6k over 6 months maybe?

As far as reward seats, it really depends on the route. I've been checking once every other week or so because I'll be booking for a June 2023 trip this July. The BOS --> DUB has shown 9 business class seats each of the most recent dates I've checked. PHL --> DUB showed 2 BC seats. IAD --> DUB has consistently shown 1 (which is a bummer since that's our preference, but we'll do BOS most likely).

We'd actually like to fly into SNN (Shannon) but the amount of routes changed during the pandemic and I've found no business class seats on the few routes they offer to SNN.

I'm quoting myself here because I wanted to make sure to clarify what I wrote as it pertains to award seats and my searches. I've been searching as far out as their calendars allow (it's somewhere between 330 and 350 days I think, need to confirm that!). So for example, I searched today for a travel date of 4/23/2023 and still found the same number of business class seats as I mentioned in the post above.

Will then have to decide if we want to return from DUB or out of SNN instead (booking economy seats since it's not an overnight flight). Also have to figure out how bad an one way rental would be in that scenario too.

I've been meaning to try and get better and getting GCs when it's 4x fuel at Kroger. But my Costco and Sam's are normally 20-50 cents less per gallon than Kroger. So I feel like that almost makes it not worth messing with it all. I mean I paid $4.39 at Costco and Kroger was $4.79.

heh, i usually find the nearest shell by costco since its always cheaper. i cant stand waiting in the 30-40min line just to get cheaper gas.

costco: $5.59
shell: $5.89

I think you can make sure you can burn a credit I would just wait until pre-check was over instead of going through the process again.

I wouldn't wait, esp if the reason is for foreign travel in the future. Even if I paid oop, there's no way I'm standing in reg lines at passport control.

I didn't know this! I was thinking of getting Nexus because we have relatives in Canada. Does this mean we can't apply for Nexus too? We are about 1 year in with GE.

It may let you since it has the border part. It may just be the other way since ge is part of nexus. It'll either let you click on it or it won't.

I'm not looking forward to my next trip using it. The us border guy didn't think I was going to canada enough to warrant it and thought I was doing something shady cause I went up for just a day. So dumb. Done that plenty before I had nexus without issue.

Moving on... my AF for my sapphires posted today (opened in '19). I like both of them, and happy to keep them open, but what is the best strategy is to prepare for the 48mo mark?
If you want to keep both that is great but this is what I would do…
Use CSR travel credit, downgraded to Freedom after the credit post.
Upgrade CSP to CSR. Keep for a year, use travel credit when it resets next year, then downgraded to Freedom.
Next year upgrade Freedom (original CSR) back to a CSR.

I wouldn't wait, esp if the reason is for foreign travel in the future. Even if I paid oop, there's no way I'm standing in reg lines at passport control.

It may let you since it has the border part. It may just be the other way since ge is part of nexus. It'll either let you click on it or it won't.

I'm not looking forward to my next trip using it. The us border guy didn't think I was going to canada enough to warrant it and thought I was doing something shady cause I went up for just a day. So dumb. Done that plenty before I had nexus without issue.
yeah, it was pretty amazing being the only one in global entry coming back from France guy asked me what I had and asked me if I had more than 500$ in t-shirts I laughed and that was it great point.

I'm looking into an Aruba trip for Feb 2023, week of president's day. Family of 5 (me, DH, DD15, DS14, DS11). We've never been and know next to nothing about it. I'd love beach front. I'm hoping we wouldn't need a car there? Any suggestions, advice? I have URs that I can use (over 500,000, but I would hope to not use them all) Thanks!

Did you get to a spot in the app to enter the offer code? I got to what looks like the last step, electronic signature, and there wasn't anywhere to enter the code, so I stopped. I cancelled the app and started over, but I still don't see a place for it before the signature step.

It's after the signature.

Just got instant approval. Very nerve-racking! Especially the ID verification questions. One question was how much we bought our house for with the range ending at the exact number. It wasn't a whole number, so I had to do a quick Zillow check to make sure!

In DoC comments, seems many are locked out of their accounts. But I was able to create one and get in. Guess we'll see how all this pans out.

ETA: Oops spoke too fast. Accidentally closed the tab and now can't get back in. Oh well wait and see.

Last edited:
I want to cry. I cancelled DH's CIP in February and in the flurry of everything must've forgotten to transfer his points to another card. Almost 200K gone. I am so angry with myself!

Does anyone have a system/spreadsheet they can share that will work to help me avoid this in the future? I was doing so well before the pandemic started, and after taking a 2 year break I am starting to feel like maybe I can't handle this anymore.
I'd be in tears.

Every Thursday I write down my points balances (I log into my accounts daily because I'm weird like that). I use pen and paper in a binder. I just created some columns in a Google Doc, nothing special, and print it. In addition to that, I move all points to my CSR within days unless I have some reason to leave on the earned card, never really a reason.

Just got instant approval. Very nerve-racking! Especially the ID verification questions. One question was how much we bought our house for with the range ending at the exact number. It wasn't a whole number, so I had to do a quick Zillow check to make sure!

In DoC comments, seems many are locked out of their accounts. But I was able to create one and get in. Guess we'll see how all this pans out.

ETA: Oops spoke too fast. Accidentally closed the tab and now can't get back in. Oh well wait and see.
Thanks! I applied and the account was approved, but online access is under review. I'm glad I didn't get that house question. I don't think I would have thought to check Zillow.

I'm looking into an Aruba trip for Feb 2023, week of president's day. Family of 5 (me, DH, DD15, DS14, DS11). We've never been and know next to nothing about it. I'd love beach front. I'm hoping we wouldn't need a car there? Any suggestions, advice? I have URs that I can use (over 500,000, but I would hope to not use them all) Thanks!

I hear really good things about the Hyatt Regency in Aruba - no personal experience, but many folks like to transfer URs to Hyatt. Might be worth checking out.

We booked two rooms at the Marriott Stellaris for our family of 5. I’m not familiar with Marriott vacation club rentals, but the location in Aruba is awesome. Might be a great option for a family of 5.

Did you get to a spot in the app to enter the offer code? I got to what looks like the last step, electronic signature, and there wasn't anywhere to enter the code, so I stopped. I cancelled the app and started over, but I still don't see a place for it before the signature step.
Never made it that far

Those questions. Dh was with me opening an acct for him (thankfully), one of his questions was what state he lived in when he was 10. I could get the answer by elimination, but I couldn't believe it went back that far.

I went in to set up his acct access today and it's under review. His account was approved, so I'm not sure why there's a review for online access.

Also..... up till recently, we've been a SWA family (such deals) DS flew United last week and it was...a hot mess. I know SWA has had it's moments too but this was something. I found out after the fact that United seems to have this reputation..... how do you all feel?
Imho it’s just the nature of airline travel. They all suck at the end of the day. I’ve had multiple successful flights on UA over the last year personally and no IROPS situations.

(Now as a victim of the AApocalypse AA obviously sucks the most and can BITE ME AND ROT FOREVER 😆)

I would NOT book flights through the Chase portal. there are hundreds of horror stories, Chase isn't flexible when it comes to flights, it seems that they have their own terms and conditions even if you book a "refundable" flight. Unless you at okay losing out points if the flight doesn't happen.
I was just going to post about this. I was wondering if anyone has done it as they are a bit cheaper.
However I didn't know all the horror stories.

I want to cry. I cancelled DH's CIP in February and in the flurry of everything must've forgotten to transfer his points to another card. Almost 200K gone. I am so angry with myself!

Does anyone have a system/spreadsheet they can share that will work to help me avoid this in the future? I was doing so well before the pandemic started, and after taking a 2 year break I am starting to feel like maybe I can't handle this anymore.
Wait this is terrible! Have you tried calling and talking to someone higher up? Lot has been going on
the last couple years you might get someone sympathetic.

We booked two rooms at the Marriott Stellaris for our family of 5. I’m not familiar with Marriott vacation club rentals, but the location in Aruba is awesome. Might be a great option for a family of 5.
We stayed there a few years ago. There was a weird system to reserve the beach palapas. Some were available to reserve for the next day at 4 PM, for most people lined up really early for the 7 AM reservation period. The club-level like Tradewinds floor had their own chairs I think. I never bothered to try, the beach was too windy for me. If I wanted to sit I would wait until later in the day when people had left the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter