I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input. I wonder if the store that you're shopping has a big impact? I was looking at Publix on Instacart versus Walmart delivery. Something like a package of cinnamon raisin bread or English muffins was $5 each with Publix/Instacart versus under $3 at Walmart. That adds up fast if you're buying enough for a family of 5 to eat breakfast throughout a park trip.

Even with the delivery fee waived and the $10 credit, Instacart seems like it's going to come in super high if the individual items are all $1-2 more. Does anyone know if this is Publix specific?
for publixs its 5-7% markup on average and 8-15% without the +
they still haven't fixed my delta link up I should sign up but I'm still kinda bummed they didn't do anything I reached out to them 10+ times now they keep saying it's linked to another account and they don't fix it. But at the same time if I need groceries in a pinch I use the Walmart + for some frozen things since its actually cheaper than Publix and its delivered (Amex platinum benefit) but this 15$ is making me think I should just sign up again I used it a lot at the beginning of the pandemic since my kid at the time would grab everything and we didn't know what this was but now I'm not sure I guess I enjoy shopping but I also want a deal at the same time.

Last edited:
Hello! I am new here and looking for some advice. I have to pay my younger daughter's school tuition in September (~$20k) and can do so by credit card with no fee! I would like to use that large purchase as an opportunity to reach MSR for a new card. I would like advice on what the best option would be.

Upcoming travel includes a trip to Hawaii and one to Thailand - no set dates, likely over the next two years or so.

I would also like to use this opportunity to achieve status with an airline or hotel chain, or generally anything that enhances the travel experience (vs. getting stuff for free). I was tempted with the idea of using the purchase to try and reach Mosaic status on JetBlue, since I like to travel with them whenever possible.

Other recurring trips include yearly visit to Disney (always rent DVC points for our accommodations) and yearly trip to Universal (stay at Hard Rock).

Here are my recent card approvals and have no other credit cards.
12/21 - CAPITAL ONE Venture X card
1/22 - BARCLAYS JetBlue Plus card

P2 is an authorized user on both.

We typically spend ~$10k/month and pay the cards in full each month. We fly from Boston's Logan airport. We like to fly JetBlue whenever possible. Then by order of preference it would be Delta, United and AA. I have to travel occasionally for work but always need to book with corporate card. Southwest does fly from Logan but it is rarely the best option for us. My travel party is Dear Husband, along with our two daughters (5 and 7).

Finally, here is my points balance across various programs:
- World of Hyatt - 8217
- Marriott - 15,428
- Hilton, 5367
- Delta - 4097
- United - 37,140
- American - 15,524
- JetBlue - 53,503

Thanks in advance for the help!

Anne
Welcome! You are very fortunate that you don't have a fee associated with paying tuition with a cc and smart thinking to apply it towards an MSR. I am also in the (theoretical) planning processes for Thailand, so in thinking about that, here is what my approach would be:

Find out what airline you would to fly to Thailand. If you are thinking about Qatar Airways dreamy biz and first class, know you'll be booking the moment availability opens up, almost one year in advance. So think about earning Avios. Chase UR, Amex MR and Capital One points all transfer to Avios. Often they run transfer bonuses as well, as much as a 40% bonus.

Venture and Venture X both have decent sign up bonuses if P2 is interested in participating. P2 can use their preapproval tool to see offers as well. In the future, we wouldn't recommend making each other authorized users on each other's accounts, as this adds to your X/24 count. So if P2 is trying to stay under Chase's 5/24 rule, P2 has already used up 2 slots by becoming an authorized user on those two cards. Try using mobile wallets like ApplePay if you are both working on the MSR of the same card at one time, to get around the need for two physical cards.

I'm throwing a lot at you, but our P1 and P2 strategy is to often open the same cc EACH. So one will open a card and then send a support link to the other person to open the same card, which earns extra points. You can stagger this a bit as you need to to meet MSR, but you have lots of organic spend, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'd also give some thought to where you might stay in Thailand. Hilton might be a good option for you and Amex's Hilton Aspire is a keeper card for me. Comes with automatic Diamond status, a FNC upon sign up and then one every anniversary year, in additional to the SUB. If Hawaii is a family trip, Grand Wailea may be a good option and is in the Hilton family. Again, you want to try to plan that hotel as soon as the calendar opens up, which is often a year in advance (I think).

You have a ton of options, but the approach I would take would be to get a feel for what type of currencies you want to earn for your upcoming trips and then target SUBs that help you reach those goals.

I’m looking to transfer some of my CIP credit limit over to a CIC. What’s the minimum I need to leave behind on my CIP? When my CIP anniversary hits, I want to downgrade it to another CIC, so I do want to leave behind enough credit limit so that won’t be an issue. Thanks!
I’m pretty sure the minimum amount for a CIC or CIU is $3,000

I’m thinking it is time to get BOA business cards, but from what I’ve read I need to have a checking account relationship. Do I need a business checking account or will a personal account suffice? I don’t have either. DH and I are at 2/24 & 3/24 so we have room for personal cards. What route do you all recommend for BOA?
We are focusing on URs since we’ve been using PYB to fund most of our non-flight travel. We have flights for 2023 booked, 2024 we plan to travel to Europe so will use Amex, we have plenty of points and they keep coming. But I’ve seen some really great BOA card offer recently.
Also, I only have a “business.”

The Avios nightmare is OVER!!!! I sent emails on Friday to the CEO's again explaining that we were short 1 biz class seat on the return flight home. I gave my mom's booking information. Avios called her this morning. She conference called me in, and on her booking was a note w/ a business class seat being held for her! She paid the difference in taxes and avios (and the $55 change fee...but we'll take it). I'm very impressed with the action from them vs the call centers! And now we can really start booking the rest of our trip! SOOOOOOO excited!

Aer Lingus people, when/how can we book our seats? I got the travel documents, but when I try online it says I can't. It says something about being able to book seats 72 hours before. I asked today when we were booking my moms and she said we should be able to online or to call. I guess we could call.

That's my biggest fear is driving "backwards" on little sleep, LOL. I think I'll look into booking a room for a few hours and then tackle that. The flight from BOS is so short I don't know if I'll get enough sleep.

Congrats! and Whew!

I can't help on the booking seats. I tried calling after I booked, but since mine was still 10+ months out, she said it wasn't in her system. I figure I'll try again in a few months. Hopefully calling works for your since your trip is a few months sooner than mine!

I think you're smart about the arriving/driving/sleeping. If you are arriving at 5:30am, that's midnight on the East Coast. Definitely tough to get real sleep with that kind of departure and flight length.

I’m thinking it is time to get BOA business cards, but from what I’ve read I need to have a checking account relationship. Do I need a business checking account or will a personal account suffice? I don’t have either. DH and I are at 2/24 & 3/24 so we have room for personal cards. What route do you all recommend for BOA?
We are focusing on URs since we’ve been using PYB to fund most of our non-flight travel. We have flights for 2023 booked, 2024 we plan to travel to Europe so will use Amex, we have plenty of points and they keep coming. But I’ve seen some really great BOA card offer recently.
BofA seems to have loosened up for business cards recently. Alaska Air business is currently 70k + companion pass. 4k spend in 3 months. At 4/24 for both.

P2 and I just got approved with a business (instant approval). Could try it for one person and see what happens before deciding for p2.

DH got a BoA Biz cash card. I don’t remember the name but just it had a $750 bonus. We don’t have any relationship with BOA. I hear it is better to have a checking acct relationship but I guess not impossible since DH was approved. This was last year. I haven’t closed that card since it is no AF and hoping that if he keeps it it might help with later cards.

Is there a certain cruise line? With the exception of DCL, Chase URs can be used for cruises by calling. I went this way once but have since used CruiseCompete.com for the lower pricing and just figure out a way math out covering the cost of

Our next cruise is with Princess, but we are not committed right now to any specific line. Thanks for the chase info and the website. With both a bad leg that makes lots of walking difficult and a bad heart that also slows me down, we are looking at cruising as our most likely traveling style most of the time going forward. I’d love to try DCL, but the cost difference with other good lines is so big I don’t know if we can justify it.

Question, what is the point of where paying tuition with a CC fee makes sense? My daughter's tuition is all covered by grants/scholarships, but there is a balance showing now before the money goes into her account next week. There is a 2.9% fee to use a card, if I could open one asap to meet the MSR, would that be worth it? The scholarship money would then be refunded to me to pay off the card. Thanks for any input!
I paid my son’s tuition (about $27k) $200 at a time, in Visa and MC GCs that I had gotten at Staples or OD/OM (with my CIC) or when giftcards.com had their sales on Visa/MC GCs. It took forever, but I calculated I “made” $1482.36 on that $27k (that’s net of the 3% fee I was paying). It helped that the CIC was offering an extra 1x if you spent $5k, and you could get that up to 3 times, or up to $15k - and I had 2 CICs with that offer). It also helps that I’ve got 5 Staples that I can hit in a pattern that I have now mastered - it takes me about 90 minutes - 2 hours to hit all of them. I’m now doing the same for my older son’s tuition. Not quite so lucrative without the extra 1x, but I’ve “made” about $875 on about $15k in tuition so far. So yes, it’s time and effort, but to me it’s totally worth it.

When I closed my first CIC I was told that the lowest the limit could be was $500. So moved all but $500 to a different card and closed it. I assume the CIU is the same. Not sure about the CIP.
Yes, when I closed mine too I tried to move all the CL to another card but Chase kept $500 on the card and then closed it. The OP was asking about eventually product changing the card to something else, that requires a higher limit.

When I closed my first CIC I was told that the lowest the limit could be was $500. So moved all but $500 to a different card and closed it. I assume the CIU is the same. Not sure about the CIP.
She wanted to PC a CIP to a CIC…I’m pretty sure to do so you need the minimum CL required to be approved for that card….like if you want to PC to a CSR…you need a $10k CL on the card you want to PC

I paid my son’s tuition (about $27k) $200 at a time, in Visa and MC GCs that I had gotten at Staples or OD/OM (with my CIC) or when giftcards.com had their sales on Visa/MC GCs. It took forever, but I calculated I “made” $1482.36 on that $27k (that’s net of the 3% fee I was paying). It helped that the CIC was offering an extra 1x if you spent $5k, and you could get that up to 3 times, or up to $15k - and I had 2 CICs with that offer). It also helps that I’ve got 5 Staples that I can hit in a pattern that I have now mastered - it takes me about 90 minutes - 2 hours to hit all of them. I’m now doing the same for my older son’s tuition. Not quite so lucrative without the extra 1x, but I’ve “made” about $875 on about $15k in tuition so far. So yes, it’s time and effort, but to me it’s totally worth it.
Agree that would be worth my time as well…….whenever staples has the fee free VGCs….I pick up $1,000 then liquidate at 2 FDs…takes less than an hour and I make $75 when cashing out the URs on my CSR…try to do all 7 days…but usually do at least 5

Thought some of you might like a timeline for an expedited CIC.

8/3 Applied forgot to unfreeze credit
8/4 Called Reconsideration-app went pending
8/5 Woke up to credit card in account. Immediately sent SM asking to expedite card.
8/6 received response that card would arrive in 2 business days
8/9 Card was delivered this afternoon (2nd business day)

I haven't really dabbled with Amex at all yet (all I have through Amex is an old no fee card that I basically sock drawer unless I want to use an offer). However, I got an email offer for 90,000 SUB on a Gold Card plus 4x points on restaurants and groceries that I'm considering. Is this good for this card, or should I wait for a better offer?

So, was that all with the gift card promotions (fee free, $15 off $300 or something like that)? Or is that just purchasing and getting the 5x (or sometimes bonus 6x points)?

That's amazing savings when you figure it all up!

So, was that all with the gift card promotions (fee free, $15 off $300 or something like that)? Or is that just purchasing and getting the 5x (or sometimes bonus 6x points)?

That's amazing savings when you figure it all up!
It was primarily the value of the points I accumulated buying the gift cards. I valued each point at 1.5 cents each, since I have a CSR so that’s the minimum value I’ll get out of them. If I recall correctly, I did take into account where I paid less than the face value for gift cards (like the $15 off $300, or when giftcards.com had their sales), but I’d say 90-95% was paid with fee-free GCs from Staples, so those extra amounts were pretty minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter