I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to go back and read....maybe that will get my mind on something else. I got a called Saturday morning that my dad was in the ICU. Saturday he was out of it, but knew who I was. But sadly it went south fast. He's on life support and we're hoping for the small victories. He has sepsis and it's on his heart valve (artificial) and some got to his brain. He started dialysis last night. He knows I hate going back to school, but I keep telling him I'm okay going back, he didn't need to do this for me :(

What I am realizing is how little we have in order. I have medical power of attorney on him. I also am on 2 of his 3 bank accounts. But I don't know anything about his bills, or all the other fun we're having. My mom has been here with us (my parents divorced when I was 26). It's making me realize all I need to do with her too! And with myself for my own kids.

This is going to be a VERY VERY VERY long journey. :(

Okay dad and ICU stuff aside....my mom and I both have property taxes due mid September. I'm trying to think what card she should get as hers are $3200 and she'll hit the spend immediately (more than likely). Mine are $2700 and I plan on putting them on the CIC I'm working on. I could pay hers and not have to stress/MS to hit the $7k MSR. But then again, I'm going to start paying some of my dad's bills too now, though it won't be much. IDK what to do. UGH. I've spent $1333 and have until 11/11 to hit the MSR. My mom is probably 2/24. So she could apply for any card. WWYD? Well any Visa/MC card. Can't do Amex.

Definitely not a one size fits all. I’ve never had, nor will ever have a SW card much less a CP. There is no need, since the whole point of travel hacking flights for us is to not fly in economy seats. Keeping 4 Aspire cards is absolutely valuable to me and P2, but not something I’d casually recommend as a general rule. I am definitely a Hyatt fangirl now but it did take about 8 years for me to jump on that bandwagon.

I think anyone starting needs to understand Chase 5/24 and that business cards are an option for those who may be comfortable with the idea of a “business”. I also think it’s important to understand the the Amex lifetime bonus, how many credit cards and charge cards one can have with Amex as well as the bonus rules for other card issuers. Knowing and understanding the landscape before planning a strategy that will work for one’s particular goals and situation is key, simply because it isn’t one size fits all.
Hyatt might win me over w/ all the new AI's. We'll see, LOL.

So many of you love the IHG card. DH got a card in Dec last year, used the free night, and I have 4 nights booked in Oct with his SUB points. He has 31,000 pts left, I was looking to do one night in Sept with them but the only option was 6000 pts + $70? Frustrating. I booked a Springhill Suites instead. I am much more familiar with using Hilton and Marriott pts.
I'm guessing it's because it's so last minute. I LOVE my IHG cards and points!

Can someone remind me what the minimum credit limit for chase business cards is? I want to decrease mine so I can apply for a new card next week.

Do we even think holding 5 open chase business cards is a possibility?
I have 5 Chase Biz cards right now, 2 CICs, CIP, Ihg biz and CIU.

I have an offer to upgrade my Amex Everyday to Everyday Preferred: 40,000 MR for $2,000 spend in 6 months. Before I do this I want to make sure:

1. This is a good offer (I believe it is).
2. After a year, I can downgrade back to the Everyday without angering the Amex powers that be.

I am aware of the $95 AF. I put all of my groceries on my Amex unless another card has it as a rotating category.

Any reason I should not do this?
I thought you have to do at least 13 mos to avoid the clawback? I upgraded mine 3/21 and paid the AF this year. I'll downgrade it in March when the AF posts.

P2 just got instant approval using my support link to the no annual fee Hilton Amex. 100K points for $1k spend in 3 mo, comes with $100 statement credit for the first 12 months for purchases at a Hilton. I think this is the highest offer for the NAF Hilton Amex? It will come in handy when we visit DD at college since the closest property is a Hilton, and I've booked several stays there already for the school year. I'll transfer his points to my account since I'm Diamond because of the Aspire card.

I applied yesterday for the Citi Premier and got the 7-10 day message. Citi sent an email with a link to check application status, and it's still pending for me. Fingers crossed.
I jumped on the 75k plus FNC and felt that was the best offer. Considering I have gotten lucking using the FNC at places that are 70k+/nt. I had been waiting on that card FOREVER in hopes of maybe getting some Aspire upgrade offers, LOL. I've loved having the diamond status from the Aspire I cancelled in 1/2020. Been riding on the extended status for awhile now, LOL.

Target has a 4 month trial, I have done that for me, and dh. DoC posted an offer for a 3 month trial, that was able to be used with a current trial, so that extended our current trial. After that, I will be digging for other options.
DOC link worked for me. Thanks. I had already canceled my 2 month subscription. Just used it to binge Ted Lasso but it's so funny I can watch again. Now I'm good until December
Right, I did see that. I would have just rather had the 40K Mr offer posted earlier but oh well lol. Still have a good stash of MRs anyway.
You only get an offer for a new application not for an upgrade unless it's specifically offered on your account. Why not just apply for the card? Also doesn't BCE have 3% on online purchases? That beats anything else I have unless there's a specific offer.
Peacock promo code ONEYEAR to get Premium for $20 (regular $50) for a full year or Premium Plus (no ads) for $70 (regular $100).
Double check your Chase cards. I have an offer for $3 off. Even cheaper.
I need to go back and read....maybe that will get my mind on something else. I got a called Saturday morning that my dad was in the ICU. Saturday he was out of it, but knew who I was. But sadly it went south fast. He's on life support and we're hoping for the small victories. He has sepsis and it's on his heart valve (artificial) and some got to his brain. He started dialysis last night. He knows I hate going back to school, but I keep telling him I'm okay going back, he didn't need to do this for me :(

What I am realizing is how little we have in order. I have medical power of attorney on him. I also am on 2 of his 3 bank accounts. But I don't know anything about his bills, or all the other fun we're having. My mom has been here with us (my parents divorced when I was 26). It's making me realize all I need to do with her too! And with myself for my own kids.

I'm so sorry about your dad. Hope he improves quickly.

Came across some info on a travel agency that will put in the paperwork for travel to Japan but you make all the arrangements yourself. Link Seems like it'll qualify as an unguided "tour". But too early to tell for sure. Cost is 20,000 yen per person. At today's exchange rate, that's about $145. I guess that's an acceptable cost to me.

So maybe this trip will happen. We'll see. I won't get too attached yet lol, but it's the most optimistic I've felt about it for a long time.

Came across some info on a travel agency that will put in the paperwork for travel to Japan but you make all the arrangements yourself. Link Seems like it'll qualify as an unguided "tour". But too early to tell for sure. Cost is 20,000 yen per person. At today's exchange rate, that's about $145. I guess that's an acceptable cost to me.

So maybe this trip will happen. We'll see. I won't get too attached yet lol, but it's the most optimistic I've felt about it for a long time.

I'd have done that in a heartbeat to make my trip work this year.

ETA between the way lower crowds and the current exchange rate, it's worth the cost.

What about the Cap One Venture X or Cap One Venture. I think both need a $4000 spend in 3 months. And if you get the tickets from Undercover Tourist - you can erase part of the cost of the tickets (or save the SUB for something else.)
Venture X is $395 but has $300 Travel Credit (must be booked on their website plus Priority Pass Membership for you and up to 4 Authorized Users) - 75,000 Points (Everything earns 2X Points - more for bookings on their website)
Venture is $95 - 75,000 Points (Earns 2x points on everything).

So, essentially you would get over $800 in value for the SUB on either one. They are hit or miss when applying though. They do have a pre-approval process you can see if you would potentially be approved before applying. And they do pull from all 3 credit bureus.

Otherwise - I would look at hotel/airline Biz Cards. Seems a waste to have $2800 to spend and not get something of a SUB for it.
My only hesitation is I have a bunch of points with Chase already (some but lesser amounts with AMEX and Citi). Do I really want to get more points in yet another type of currency? Or would it be better to get more points with an existing bank? The problem is I don't travel all that much but getting one night free at Hyatt each year sounds like a decent perk of the World of Hyatt card.

So very sorry.

I had a major cc fail. Somehow I missed my CIC payment. Balance was $5800 when the statement cut and I had only paid $3000 by the due date. Interest was $70 and Chase won't waive it. I paid another $1500 before my next statement closed (still not realizing I had missed the payment date) and paid the balance today. So I'll still owe more interest. Ugh. Expensive lesson learned.

And my parents have a contingent offer on their house in Michigan so I may need to fly up and help them once they close (they'll have a 21 day rent back). Glad I'm sitting on a lot of UR points for plane tickets. I'm sad--been vacationing Up North since 1998 but my dad's in poor health and it's too much for my mom to deal with two homes. She knows she needs to move on, but so many memories with the grandkids:(

Last edited:
Anyone see anything good on Dell.com for a non-gamer, non-PC family? I'm struggling to use up the credit this time around.

Anyone see anything good on Dell.com for a non-gamer, non-PC family? I'm struggling to use up the credit this time around.
I love my google nest hub max. It works well with youtube tv. I keep it on my kitchen counter. Would I spend $175 on it--definitely not (I have two of the smaller ones too). But it was a decent use of my dell credit.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he improves.

We’ll be cruising DCL soon and I need to decide which credit card to put on file. Any data points on whether DCL charges are earning 5x on the Freedom?

I've gotten a portable monitor for DH for when he has to work during our travels. Some smart home items like lights. Some Office software.

Prayers for healing for your dad and strength for you.

WWYD regarding booking a Universal Orlando resort using points? I have Chase UR and Capital One points at my disposal now and will have some Amex MR in a few months. Prices are high right now and I'm hoping that they'll drop so I can rebook at a lower rate later. Do I use the Chase Travel Portal so I can get 1.25x redemption on UR using my CSP or book cash and use PYB? Does anyone know how quickly points are refunded if I end up wanting to cancel and rebook to get a better rate using the portal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter