I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So torn on what to do for a new card. I have some (smaller) costs coming up, but I’m just not in a place right now where I can meet the $7k+ MSR on the CIP and other cards.

I’m not eligible for a Sapphire.

I have the Amex Plat, but that’s my only Amex card.

I don’t have a particular point currency that I’m trying to earn for now…

I recently wiped out my (meager) stash of Delta SkyPesos for a last minute flight. Do I go for the Gold? What’s the all-time high on that card? I think it’s currently at 60k.

I have over 400k URs (while I’d always love more, I don’t have an immediate use) and 150k MRs, but I don’t have a lot in other currencies…

Don’t do a lot of hotel stays, but I’m open to opening a hotel-branded card if it makes sense.

Open to suggestions!
The Delta Gold (personal & business) have a great SUB right now. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...00-miles-200-statement-credit-or-90000-miles/

Is there an AMEX card equivalent to the CSP? We both have CSPs and earned/used the 100K points SUB last year (used PYB to pay for our Air BnB over Christmas) and I think we'd like to branch out and start earning MRs.
I think AmEx setup the Green card to be competitive in the low cost travel card space. It has $150 AF and earns 3x on travel and transit along with dining. Also has annual credits for lounge access (not priority pass) and Clear membership. However, with the low(er) AF also comes lower sign up bonuses. I think the best offer has been 50k MR. The Gold card has a small bump in AF to $250 but earns 4x on dining, 4x on groceries (with a spending cap of $25k), and 3x on flights plus monthly Uber and dining credits to select providers. If you can utilize the credits for things you buy anyway, it should offset the added cost of the AF over the Green card to get a higher bonus and more useful (IME) category earning. The Gold sign up offers go as high as 75k.

I don't know how much you are familiar with the MR program, but just some caution that MR don't have the same base value as UR. Chase made it easy with a 1 cpp cash out value and then added additional value if redeeming in certain ways, like the 1.25 value through the travel portal for the CSP. AmEx is a .6 cpp cash out value (as a statement credit to "erase" charges) and other redemptions max out at 1 cpp. (AmEx points redemption rates) This of course doesn't include the value from transferring to partners, for either program, since that's variable depending on the ultimate redemption. I think most people value MR for the transfer abilities and the ultimate value there.

That 100k bonus on the CSP was exceptional. In general the lower the fee/lower the spend, the lower the sign up bonus. I am a little jealous of folks that were able to get that! But I also know I'd have been a touch disappointed in the values of future sign ups since it's hard to compete with that. If you were looking for an equivalent bonus on the AmEx side, you'd have to look into the premium cards.

When I opened your link it is showing 10$ off $100

@havaneselover got 20% off up to $40, or $40 off $200 (maximum for discount) and in late December I got 50% off up to $40. They are all over the place.

Meanwhile, I ordered 2 booster seats which were supposed to arrive January 8. Then the arrival moved to Feb 15. I got charged a very small part of the total expected and then the plus and minusing started on my Amex card, 4 times. Still haven't been charged the correct total, and I'm waiting to see what happens if I receive the items.

@havaneselover got 20% off up to $40, or $40 off $200 (maximum for discount) and in late December I got 50% off up to $40. They are all over the place.

Meanwhile, I ordered 2 booster seats which were supposed to arrive January 8. Then the arrival moved to Feb 15. I got charged a very small part of the total expected and then the plus and minusing started on my Amex card, 4 times. Still haven't been charged the correct total, and I'm waiting to see what happens if I receive the items.
I got the $10 too. Boo. Probably won't need anything over $100.

Oh mine says 20% off 😕

Oh mine says 20% off 😕

That's okay. I've gotten multiple discounts with amazon so not sorry. Just commenting on what I saw. At 20% off I would have used it to buy something on my saved for later list that I regularly use that might have worked with the discount. Right now I'm shopping for a dozen furnace filters so I can change up once a month. I put cheaper ones in and change often.

Anyone have experience with AA flight credits? I noticed we have credits from a trip that was cancelled in June 2020. It doesn’t show how much the credit is. I booked using points. I’m trying to contact them but i can’t get through on the phone since my trip isn’t in the next 72 hours and I’m currently 3,705 in line on the chat lol

I think AmEx setup the Green card to be competitive in the low cost travel card space. It has $150 AF and earns 3x on travel and transit along with dining. Also has annual credits for lounge access (not priority pass) and Clear membership. However, with the low(er) AF also comes lower sign up bonuses. I think the best offer has been 50k MR. The Gold card has a small bump in AF to $250 but earns 4x on dining, 4x on groceries (with a spending cap of $25k), and 3x on flights plus monthly Uber and dining credits to select providers. If you can utilize the credits for things you buy anyway, it should offset the added cost of the AF over the Green card to get a higher bonus and more useful (IME) category earning. The Gold sign up offers go as high as 75k.

I don't know how much you are familiar with the MR program, but just some caution that MR don't have the same base value as UR. Chase made it easy with a 1 cpp cash out value and then added additional value if redeeming in certain ways, like the 1.25 value through the travel portal for the CSP. AmEx is a .6 cpp cash out value (as a statement credit to "erase" charges) and other redemptions max out at 1 cpp. (AmEx points redemption rates) This of course doesn't include the value from transferring to partners, for either program, since that's variable depending on the ultimate redemption. I think most people value MR for the transfer abilities and the ultimate value there.

That 100k bonus on the CSP was exceptional. In general the lower the fee/lower the spend, the lower the sign up bonus. I am a little jealous of folks that were able to get that! But I also know I'd have been a touch disappointed in the values of future sign ups since it's hard to compete with that. If you were looking for an equivalent bonus on the AmEx side, you'd have to look into the premium cards.
Thank you for this great explanation of these Amex cards and how MRs work! That is really helpful! 🥰

Just bumping this up for others to chime in as well.

I have stayed a big fan of the Sapphires. The CSR gets 3x points on travel and dining. It does have a hefty AF @ $550, but you get a $300 travel credit which is fairly easy to use. With a CSR, all of your URs are worth 1.5cpp in the Chase travel portal. Alternatively the CSP is a $95 AF and earns 2x for travel, 3x for online grocery (some) and 3x on dining. URs are worth 1.25cpp in the Chase travel portal. The challenge with the Chase portal is that you can book very little for Disney through the portal, if that's your goal.

Venture X might be another option, as it earns 2x points for everything and has a big sign up bonus right now. Another hefty AF there, but seems easy to recoup. I don't actually have that card.

A lot of us spend to meet MSRs and then move on to the next card, but hopefully some others will chime in to answer their preferred misc travel card.
Thank you for mentioning the CSR. Chase's "travel" category is super wide-encompassing, everything from subway fares to Expedia, so that's helpful!

My sister was there same dates as you and they were a bit overwhelmed with the crowds. She also said Genie+ wasn't working for them on Tuesday at HS. I feel bad because it was their first trip. They did however say that their universal day was amazing (her boys are REALLY big HP fans).
Just got back from a (mostly) staycation trip..... I still love the parts of Disney I love, and I REALLY dislike the parts that I knew I would hate. We only did one parks Day, had two preschoolers with us, no genie or anything else. We hit the rides we wanted to,stood in a few too long lines, the Dumbo ride we tried, but the wait times were wonky.... first they were posted at 35+ minutes or something, then a few minutes later they dropped to ten, so we got in line....waited a few,realized it WASN'T gonna be ten minutes and took our squirming kids over to Little mermaid ride instead. That wait was shorter,and entertaining at the same time!
DS (grownup) and I hopped over to Studios via bus at about 6:30 pm.... got to see Star Wars land (it was so cool) ate some qs dinner (fast and yummy) and then got in line for ROTR at 8:05 (park closed at 9) sign said 105 minute wait...we waited 58 minutes. I can say this.....WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF WAITING.(and more!) that's not a ride,it's an experience! I had no clue what ROTR was about,never even looked at any info. WOW.
That said.... I don't plan to return to any parks for at least 3-5 years.... We spent 5 other quite pleasant days just enjoying and relaxing.....

Thank you. Do all SW cards work this way?
As @palhockeymomof2 said, yes you have 30 days to cancel any Chase card after the AF hits in order to get a full refund. They may offer you a retention offer to keep the card. When I called to cancel my SW Plus card they offered me $70 to keep it. So I ended up not canceling. FYI
So torn on what to do for a new card. I have some (smaller) costs coming up, but I’m just not in a place right now where I can meet the $7k+ MSR on the CIP and other cards.

I’m not eligible for a Sapphire.

I have the Amex Plat, but that’s my only Amex card.

I don’t have a particular point currency that I’m trying to earn for now…

I recently wiped out my (meager) stash of Delta SkyPesos for a last minute flight. Do I go for the Gold? What’s the all-time high on that card? I think it’s currently at 60k.

I have over 400k URs (while I’d always love more, I don’t have an immediate use) and 150k MRs, but I don’t have a lot in other currencies…

Don’t do a lot of hotel stays, but I’m open to opening a hotel-branded card if it makes sense.

Open to suggestions!
@miztressuz gave you a great answer. I can pull up 50k/2k in 6mos offers for the Amex Green card through DH’s support link, and 75k/4K in 6mos for the Gold. Those are both fantastic offers, but I would suggest seeing how MR’s can benefit you personally before collecting a ton of them. They can be transferred to Delta, if you fly with them enough to get value there.

Just got back from a (mostly) staycation trip..... I still love the parts of Disney I love, and I REALLY dislike the parts that I knew I would hate. We only did one parks Day, had two preschoolers with us, no genie or anything else. We hit the rides we wanted to,stood in a few too long lines, the Dumbo ride we tried, but the wait times were wonky.... first they were posted at 35+ minutes or something, then a few minutes later they dropped to ten, so we got in line....waited a few,realized it WASN'T gonna be ten minutes and took our squirming kids over to Little mermaid ride instead. That wait was shorter,and entertaining at the same time!
DS (grownup) and I hopped over to Studios via bus at about 6:30 pm.... got to see Star Wars land (it was so cool) ate some qs dinner (fast and yummy) and then got in line for ROTR at 8:05 (park closed at 9) sign said 105 minute wait...we waited 58 minutes. I can say this.....WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF WAITING.(and more!) that's not a ride,it's an experience! I had no clue what ROTR was about,never even looked at any info. WOW.
That said.... I don't plan to return to any parks for at least 3-5 years.... We spent 5 other quite pleasant days just enjoying and relaxing.....

Sounds wonderful!

I have a ROTR question - is there any part of it that spins or turns you quickly or drops or swings that might cause a person who gets dizzy very easily to well, get dizzy? Like videos in concert with motion? I want to do it at least once but don't want to be stumbling off the attraction.

I did FOP and won't again because once the dizziness started, it ruined the rest of the experience. I had to close my eyes, not from fear but because the world was spinning. I'd close, then open and peek at what was happening, then have to close again. Didn't start until we started flying. took the fun right out of it.

Anyone have experience with AA flight credits? I noticed we have credits from a trip that was cancelled in June 2020. It doesn’t show how much the credit is. I booked using points. I’m trying to contact them but i can’t get through on the phone since my trip isn’t in the next 72 hours and I’m currently 3,705 in line on the chat lol
try Twitter. that is how I get messages to and from them. It takes awhile, but seems to be just a few hours.

I have a ROTR question - is there any part of it that spins or turns you quickly or drops or swings that might cause a person who gets dizzy very easily to well, get dizzy?
I’m not prone to motion sickness or dizziness, but yes, without giving out ride spoilers, there is a certain amount of spinning and motion that may cause some dizziness.

Surprised it isn’t in your wallet. Any flights I booked with AA miles, were cancelled and the miles returned. Fees were refunded to my CC. I did book DS a flight on URs. That credit showed in his AA wallet but I had to rebook to use the credit through the chase portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter