• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, we are super excited.
I know you stayed at Hilton Tokyo Bay, but do think it would be worth it to try to stay at one of the official Disney hotels?

We did a split stay, 3 nights at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay, 1 at Disneyland Hotel, 1 at MiraCosta. The Disney theming is great, but convenience was only incrementally better since the monorail is so convenient. We’re not early people, so didn’t use the 15 minute early entry. Being able to reserve dining was nice though, and I enjoyed our Venice view into DisneySea. If I had a do-over, I’d just stay at the Sheraton or Hilton.

Our trip this summer, I have the Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay booked. Will need to take a shuttle. Hope I don’t regret it, but I wanted the nights towards Globalist. Plus I thought the suites were a good deal and will be nice to have the space while we recover from jet lag. I have the Hilton booked on points too in case I change my mind. But it may all be a moot point if Japan doesn’t let us in.

Last edited:
Oh Man I was wondering what happened to the thread....:rotfl2: wow! Ok- Capone Venture x..... is always a denial if you app for any other brand of card within 6 months, or just their own brand?
I applied and got the SW priority on October 24, 2021, then applied for the Cap One Venture x December 6, 2021 and got instant approval. I was going to wait but on my Cap One app, it said the offer ended on 12/7/2021. The next day, the app changed the offer ending date to 1/11/2022 and that date is still showing on my app as of today. Who knows, maybe they will extend it again but I’m glad I got it while in Europe. I was able to use the $200 Airbnb credit on a trip to DLP 2 weeks ago.The credit showed up on my card 2 days later.
I also have their Spark Biz card which I got in 2020 because of an insane bonus (for a $50,000 spend over 6 months) someone posted on this site and that earned me 350,000 miles! I applied the last day it was offered and the next day, the offer was gone. And I love getting double miles on all spending. I called Cap One yesterday and was able to transfer all of my Biz Spark miles to my Venture x. My goal is to have 500,000 Cap One miles by the end of my 6 month MSR. I have officially become a point hoarder! 😂

Attachments

• 76F6331B-851E-434C-8AE3-7C91F93F9C62.jpeg
    76F6331B-851E-434C-8AE3-7C91F93F9C62.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 26AC4131-2A05-4024-9212-AB3ACB8BA2D0.png
    26AC4131-2A05-4024-9212-AB3ACB8BA2D0.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 6
I still have a pretty good amount left to spend on my CIC before 1/22. I am going to prepay my my Verizon bill and maybe car insurance.
Would like to pick up $2000 in Disney gift cards at Staples. (Going to Aulani in April and will spend those easily)
How should I break that up at Staples? $500 each time? $1000? I am pretty sure my Staples calls a manager over for anything over $200 so thinking maybe just do $1000 twice?

Woke up to see dude had something that bleed over night. One of his few remaining front teeth is loose. Either because he decided yesterday morning that I wasn't getting him off the bed fast enough and he jumped when I picked him up causing him to hit his face and shoulder on the floor but not hard I still had a hold of the back end :rotfl2: or more likely it's just his crap teeth since he's only got 19 left. Thankfully the vet can get him in tomorrow to clean an look at the teeth. Hopefully not too many need to go. At least I'm working on an msr I guess. His ins doesn't cover teeth either.

May also need to buy a blender tomorrow. If he can't chew kibble I'm not switching him to can for a few reasons. I've been using warm water to soften his kibble for a couple weeks since he wasn't chewing it sometimes. I also read you can use a blender to break the pieces up, which I'd add some water to. He seems to really like it this way, brings the smell and flavor out.

Anyway, stuck with what I'll find at the store. Would a ninja product be enough? Thinking one of the small ones popular for individual smoothies that's good for ice would be able to handle a 1/2 cup of kibble.
You don't necessarily need a ninja. When I transitioned my dogs from homemade food to kibble, I soaked the dry food in water. The longer you let it sit, the softer it gets.
Edit: Nevermind, just read your other comments.

I still have a pretty good amount left to spend on my CIC before 1/22. I am going to prepay my my Verizon bill and maybe car insurance.
Would like to pick up $2000 in Disney gift cards at Staples. (Going to Aulani in April and will spend those easily)
How should I break that up at Staples? $500 each time? $1000? I am pretty sure my Staples calls a manager over for anything over $200 so thinking maybe just do $1000 twice?
I’ve purchased $2,000 in gift cards at staples with no issues, so you could try and purchase them all in one trip. My staples only has the Disney $50 GCs and sometimes runs out :(

I applied and got the SW priority on October 24, 2021, then applied for the Cap One Venture x December 6, 2021 and got instant approval. I was going to wait but on my Cap One app, it said the offer ended on 12/7/2021. The next day, the app changed the offer ending date to 1/11/2022 and that date is still showing on my app as of today. Who knows, maybe they will extend it again but I’m glad I got it while in Europe. I was able to use the $200 Airbnb credit on a trip to DLP 2 weeks ago.The credit showed up on my card 2 days later.
I also have their Spark Biz card which I got in 2020 because of an insane bonus (for a $50,000 spend over 6 months) someone posted on this site and that earned me 350,000 miles! I applied the last day it was offered and the next day, the offer was gone. And I love getting double miles on all spending. I called Cap One yesterday and was able to transfer all of my Biz Spark miles to my Venture x. My goal is to have 500,000 Cap One miles by the end of my 6 month MSR. I have officially become a point hoarder! 😂
thanks! Wow I'm eyeing this card but not sure abut the portal use etc....never tried it before but maybe it's time

thanks! Wow I'm eyeing this card but not sure abut the portal use etc....never tried it before but maybe it's time
The portal use is super easy. I am very technically challenged and I find it easy to get around. You have so many options to use your points. You can either pay for something with your capital one card and then wipe it out with points. The least value is to cash it out for cash. Then you only get half the value. And there were about a dozen airlines to transfer points to. I’m looking at Turkish Airlines to try to book first class seats to Europe for my next trip. 😊

All these dog in the snow stories make me laugh..... we had a little 9 pound chihuahua

You've heard of rescue dogs? Well, my rescue dog has a twist.

He's a Yorkshire Terrier.

An employee of mine gave him to my assistant after buying and having him for a year. He brought him into the office with his carrier and I was alarmed when he shook the carrier upside down to get him out of it. The dog appeared frightened, to say the least, and being an animal lover, I allowed him to climb onto my lap. We became instant friends but little did I know that I was actually rescuing my assistant!

Assistant took him home and after a couple of weeks, asked me if I wanted him, as her room mate had a problem with the dog. He would bark and growl and chase her, nipping at her heels.

So, believing I was a dog whisperer, I brought him home and almost 11 years later he's still here. Bares his teeth and growls at me every day. But he knows he's safe with me. Vet says it's anxiety. I reach in and pet him and he licks my hand. Sink and hand soap right around the corner.

Ultimately it's your credit and relationship with the bank on the line, so I would not judge anyone for being overly cautious... or overly reckless for that matter. My risk tolerance is going to be different than others in the group and that's ok. If I say I'd go for a card and someone else doesn't, that's cool. But at least the decision was informed by what we know of Chase's logic.
To add to this, rule of thumb on CL to income usually recommended as less than 50%. I am proactively lowering my CLs. Took a look at DHs (I manage all accounts) and noted that prior to his CSP his CLs for 5 cards, personal and biz were almost 45% of income. Chase then approved him for CSP with a CL of 18k putting his CLs at over 60% income (and this was while we were buying a house last summer and had just gotten mortgage approval) So while we think we know "Chase logic" sometimes they surprise us.

View attachment 635546
So that's like one beer then?
We got about 1/2 a beer in Chicago 🍻

QUICK Reminder on the thread refresh - I'll post a few more reminders later this week before removing the old support threads.

1/3/2022 - DISchurners Announcement - THREAD REFRESH IN PROCESS!

I'VE REFRESHED ALL MAIN PAGE THREADS ON DISCHURNERS INCLUDING:
  • News and Discussion Thread
  • Advanced Strategies and Loopholes Discussion
  • Manufactured Spend Discussion
  • What Card Should I Get Next (for ADVANCED questions)
This also means it's time for everybody's favorite event...the semi-annual refresh of the SUPPORT Link Threads. Chase, Amex & Misc Support Link threads have been refreshed!
As a reminder - ANYBODY is welcome to share their support links in these threads. The instructions are at the top of each one.

For those that have previously posted, the easiest way to move them over is:
1) Go to your OLD comment in the OLD thread (you'll see the old threads listed near the bottom of the DISchurners feed)
2) Click EDIT
3) COPY the entire comment text in the edit box
4) PASTE the comment text as a NEW comment in the NEW thread (you'll find the new threads near the top of the feed)
5) CHECK all links to make sure they are active and working and make sure that your description of the offer matches the actual offer!
You do NOT need to delete your old comment when done, you can just leave it in that thread.

This process will help you not have to re-do all your formatting.
Side Note: Many find it easiest to access DISchurners in old reddit. (https://old.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/)

Side Note 2: I would also advise that you check to make sure that all of your links are accurate and working!!

I will post reminders for this over the next week or so and will then remove the old threads with only the new threads remaining.

One more general reminder, reddit flags many support links as spam. I then go in and manually approve them. I will keep an eye on that as we conduct the refresh and approve them all as quickly as possible! :D

Got the swa biz+personal apps done today...approved for both...I Sm'd to expedite cards but no idea if they will. Sadly my home bills will cover it all in about 5 minutes so hello CP and here's hoping I can use you in the next couple of years! I figure at the least those points don't expire.....

calypso726 I tried to go on the other thread((was locked) I just caught up. But I tend to agree that 50k certificate from Bonvoy was hard to use almost impossible when they rose all the prices of their hotels, I've been a Hyatt fan and with AMEX platinum giving me gold, and even with lifetime gold, I think I'm done with them.

Thanks. I just called the Chase travel portal. After getting transferred twice and then told I was going to be transfered again, I gave up. Going to pay OOP. It is not a lot, but I would have liked to use points or at least use my CSP through the portal to get the $50 credit.
Hopefully he will be able to leave safely tomorrow morning.
I'm probably too late but I would have instant transferred to hyatt account and booked the room.

Got the swa biz+personal apps done today...approved for both...I Sm'd to expedite cards but no idea if they will. Sadly my home bills will cover it all in about 5 minutes so hello CP and here's hoping I can use you in the next couple of years! I figure at the least those points don't expire.....
Congrats! I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with the easy $1K personal card or the $3K business card (I'm working on the Biz Performance MSR right now), on one hand we don't need the CP at the moment so biz card would make sense, but we are working on Biz Plat & SW Performance MSR. It would be nice to have a small MSR for once. Which means we could jump on another CIU card sooner (we are down to 90K URs).

I wanted to take a moment on this new(ish) thread to thank everyone who has taken the time to answer questions and get me started on figuring out how to best use credit card points to help offset the costs of travel. All the questions that I've asked have received quick, kind, helpful responses and I'm so excited about what my travel future will bring!

2021 was a year of nearly no travel for us. We spent a few days at a local beach sharing a VRBO condo with family, but that was it. Some of the expenses were used towards a MSR, but points weren't used at all otherwise. Our "big trip" of 2022 will be WDW in July. Hoping COVID has calmed down by then (don't even know what to think about this hope anymore). May also be going on a long weekend to the fingerlakes with my sisters/SIL in May (still TBD), and DH and I have been talking about going on a weekend away sometime this year once we get the companion pass and if one of my siblings is able to watch the kids. Maybe Chicago, although the weather would dictate which times of year we go. For 2023, we're already thinking about maybe going back to Orlando again to do Universal, and have lots of other destinations we are thinking about as well (Denver, New Orleans, Phoenix/Tucson)

With the guidance of the folks on this board, we are well on our way to a 2022/2023 companion pass (working on the MSR for the Performance Business card now, SW Plus personal SUB points should post this month). DH has applied for TSA precheck and plans to use the credit on the business card to cover the cost (put that annual fee to work!) We've already booked roundtrip tickets to Orlando for our family of 5 entirely on RR points and will likely get some back once DH gets the companion pass and we can make one of the kids his companion. Then, we'll still have a good pile of RR points, as well as lots of Chase URs to use for future travel! :cheer2: DH was a reluctant P2 when we were getting started, but I think I've converted him. He was just asking about whether any AMEX cards have good SUBs (I told him we're going to lie low on new cards for a bit!) :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter