• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have URs, MRs, Hilton, Marriott, IHG, etc. I need to look at flights and get serious about booking those sooner than later since my DD wants biz class, LOL.

If you decide to go through Toronto I don't think that you'll have an issue with flights. I was just able to book dd and I return flights on AC with points from Dublin on May 19th in biz class last week. There was a lot of availability. We will fly from Edinburgh to Dublin on May 15th (the day we were supposed to fly home) -- I booked flight with 60k Avios in biz class + $4 in taxes.

For hotels, if you're looking for Hilton, there is the very highly rated DoubleTree Morrison and the Conrad; there is also a very highly rated Hyatt Centric and an ALoft (the DT, Hyatt and ALoft are all in the Liberties). The Liberties is a gentrified area across the Ha'penny bridge from the Temple Bar district and close to the Guiness store. The Hyatt, ALoft and DoubleTree are highly rated on TA, so it will depend on what points you want to use. I'd probably go with the DT since you can get a night free if you stay for 5 nights (and they are easier to accumulate these days).

Thoughts on next card for us. We have a large tax bill looming, so I might sign up for another card. Our DD is headed abroad this summer, so need a card that she can be an AU on with no foreign transaction fees. We are also going to join her at the end and try to use those Delta Vacations $$$.

We don't have a CSP or CSR right now and I am eligible, but we could get more points with another CIP or CIU. Both below 5/24. Have a real business. What card would you sign up? Looking for travel protections as well as points. Thanks!!

I'm sure this has been discussed so I'll apologize now. We need to look into a card that gets points that can be used for hotels, perferably more than one brand. If this season of youth wrestling has taught me anything it's that lodging is the very worst part of planning lol. We have a hilton aspire so we have plenty of points there. But we need another option. We had the state tournament this weekend and the hotel situation was awful. Not nearly enough rooms for 1400 wrestlers, a bowling tournament and a basketball tournament in the same weekend lol. I'm at 3/24. I do not have one of the premium Chase cards yet. So maybe that? Or would something else be better?

And only sort of related, my 7 year old took 2nd place!!! In his 1st year of being able to even qualify for state. Our little team of 40 total wrestlers only had 3 state qualifiers. the other 2 took 1st place in their brackets. And overall our team took 3rd place in Class II which is pretty impressive since there were teams with 10 or more wrestlers who went. #mombrag over

I'm sure this has been discussed so I'll apologize now. We need to look into a card that gets points that can be used for hotels, perferably more than one brand. If this season of youth wrestling has taught me anything it's that lodging is the very worst part of planning lol. We have a hilton aspire so we have plenty of points there. But we need another option. We had the state tournament this weekend and the hotel situation was awful. Not nearly enough rooms for 1400 wrestlers, a bowling tournament and a basketball tournament in the same weekend lol. I'm at 3/24. I do not have one of the premium Chase cards yet. So maybe that? Or would something else be better?

And only sort of related, my 7 year old took 2nd place!!! In his 1st year of being able to even qualify for state. Our little team of 40 total wrestlers only had 3 state qualifiers. the other 2 took 1st place in their brackets. And overall our team took 3rd place in Class II which is pretty impressive since there were teams with 10 or more wrestlers who went. #mombrag over

I got a Chase Marriot Card... as I've found Swan & Dolphin to be hard to beat these day. I get most the deluxe resort guest benefits (stayed a few times last year where it was as cheap as staying at POP - due to COVID), sometimes at half the cost and it's in walking distance of two parks.

But your usually better off sticking with one brand and racking up points and perks within that brand... free upgrades, free nights, free breakfast. Both Hilton and Marriot cover a lot of different brands... and have their pros and cons. But in the end few venues have "enough" hotels, having a card doesn't get you a reservation if there are none to be had. It's one reason Orland has become such a easy choice as a destination for many Conferences and Sports Activities.

A few sites out there do comparisons of the cards The Points Guy or Nerd Wallet come to mind. It's less about the points and more about the perks.... jmho.

Thoughts on next card for us. We have a large tax bill looming, so I might sign up for another card. Our DD is headed abroad this summer, so need a card that she can be an AU on with no foreign transaction fees. We are also going to join her at the end and try to use those Delta Vacations $$$.

We don't have a CSP or CSR right now and I am eligible, but we could get more points with another CIP or CIU. Both below 5/24. Have a real business. What card would you sign up? Looking for travel protections as well as points. Thanks!!
If you are looking for travel protection I’d do the CSP or CSR..both have no foreign transaction fees

Last edited:
I got a Chase Marriot Card... as I've found Swan & Dolphin to be hard to beat these day. I get most the deluxe resort guest benefits (stayed a few times last year where it was as cheap as staying at POP - due to COVID), sometimes at half the cost and it's in walking distance of two parks.

But your usually better off sticking with one brand and racking up points and perks within that brand... free upgrades, free nights, free breakfast. Both Hilton and Marriot cover a lot of different brands... and have their pros and cons. But in the end few venues have "enough" hotels, having a card doesn't get you a reservation if there are none to be had. It's one reason Orland has become such a easy choice as a destination for many Conferences and Sports Activities.

A few sites out there do comparisons of the cards The Points Guy or Nerd Wallet come to mind. It's less about the points and more about the perks.... jmho.
We'd stuck with the hilton forever. We've got over a million points lol. But like this last weekend there was 1 hilton property in town. Wrestling always seems to be in the middle of nowhere lol. In like a 50 mile radius there were only 4. But 50 miles feels like a lot longer at 6 am. Just wanted to have another brand option for situations like this. We usually book stuff like this as soon as dates are released so we can get a room, I just want that room to be "free" lol. I thought if I went with a card where I could transfer the points to other places I'd be better off than having a card thats branded like hilton or IHG.

Ugh. Going through it with Marriott/Bonvoy for the first time (is this what being Bonvoyed feels like?).

Needed to book a hotel in Scottsdale April 1-3. It was showing as available to book with points in multiple room categories, but it told me I didn’t have enough points to complete the booking.

I transferred in 50k URs to Marriott to have enough to book. Went to book once the points arrived - still showed as available to book with points for my dates, until I got to the actual checkout process - where it gave me an error.

I called customer service - went through a rep and a (very rude) supervisor. They both acknowledged that there’s an “issue with their system” causing it to show points booking availability, but there is nothing they can do to push the points reservation through (rooms are available to be booked as a cash booking).

I asked to speak to another supervisor - they said one would call me back within 24 hours - that didn’t happen. Reached out via Twitter - was told they couldn’t help and I needed to go through the phone channels.

As of right now, the room is STILL showing as being available as a points booking for my dates.

Just frustrating as I obviously wouldn’t have transferred in 50k URs if I couldn’t book, but I had no way of knowing that before I transferred them in.

Anyone experienced anything like this? Suggestions?

How big is that tax bill? The Capital One Venture X has a 100K/$10K/6mo SUB that expires TODAY (support links in DISchurners). It comes with Priority Pass access for the primary and AUs, $300 travel credit (booked through Capital One travel portal), $200 vacation rental credit (AirBnB or VRBO), primary car rental coverage, no FTF, and 10K miles each anniversary. $100 toward TSA pre/Global entry. $395 AF

I think the travel protections on the CSP, and especially the CSR, are stronger than the Venture X when you look at the fine print though.

Last edited:

There's a new IHG biz card that's supposed to be coming out later this month. Maybe it will have a nice bonus and work for you.

P2 applied for the AMEX Gold today using my referral link and got a “we need more time” message. I’m relatively new to AMEX - is there a status line I can stalk (like Chase), or anything I can do but sit and wait? Also, anything to read into the message he got?
4EB15BE1-136B-4AA8-BB34-474B3C4B0A20.jpeg

Congrats on the 2nd place finish! We have lots of Hilton points as well and some Marriott points. When we are traveling somewhere that doesn't have these brands, I tend to book through the Chase portal to give more options. You can also transfer Chase points to Hyatt and we have done that many times.

We've added on some extra nights to a Disney stay we're leaving for this week. I don't have time to get more discounted GCs for food and spending money (besides Sam's or Target type deal). I was thinking of how to best pay for things since I'm sure we'll go over my original budgeted amount. We have CSRs and Barclay Arrival that might work. With the CSR I would like to do the "pay yourself back" at 1.5x rate. Am I right to think, if I paid at Disney restaurants with with the CSR I could utilize the pay yourself back function? Just wanting to make sure Disney restaurants within parks and resorts would code as "dining." If that won't work, I have a Barclay arrival that I use from time to time. You can cash in your points for travel. If I charged to the magic bands and had a balance with the resort itself, anyone know if that would code as "travel" I was worried it might code as "entertainment" or something different. Thx for any pointers!

A quick DISchurners update...

After a discussion among the moderators of the DISchurners reddit forum, we have elected to remove all ancillary threads from DISchurners. There isn't enough activity over there to warrant the various threads. We will continue to have a Discussion Thread which will be refreshed every 6 months. Prior versions will be visible from the DISchurners main page.

As always, the top threads on the DISchurners feed will continue to be the 3 SUPPORT LINK threads which is the primary reason people seem to visit.

If anybody wants to join DISchurners they just need to send me a message with their DISboards username, and their Reddit username and I'll get them added.

I'm sorry I've been M.I.A. lately. Working 15+ loans currently and life is just busy with a newborn and such now. Hope all my DISchurner friends are doing well!

Last edited:
We've added on some extra nights to a Disney stay we're leaving for this week. I don't have time to get more discounted GCs for food and spending money (besides Sam's or Target type deal). I was thinking of how to best pay for things since I'm sure we'll go over my original budgeted amount. We have CSRs and Barclay Arrival that might work. With the CSR I would like to do the "pay yourself back" at 1.5x rate. Am I right to think, if I paid at Disney restaurants with with the CSR I could utilize the pay yourself back function? Just wanting to make sure Disney restaurants within parks and resorts would code as "dining." If that won't work, I have a Barclay arrival that I use from time to time. You can cash in your points for travel. If I charged to the magic bands and had a balance with the resort itself, anyone know if that would code as "travel" I was worried it might code as "entertainment" or something different. Thx for any pointers!
I have used my CSR at Disney restaurants last year and was able to use PYB on the charges

A quick DISchurners update...

After a discussion among the moderators of the DISchurners reddit forum, we have elected to remove all ancillary threads from DISchurners. There isn't enough activity over there to warrant the various threads. We will continue to have a Discussion Thread which will be refreshed every 6 months. Prior versions will be visible from the DISchurners main page.

As always, the top threads on the DISchurners feed will continue to be the 3 SUPPORT LINK threads which is the primary reason people seem to visit.

If anybody wants to join DISchurners they just need to send me a message with their DISboards username, and their Reddit username and I'll get them added.

I'm sorry I've been M.I.A. lately. Working 15+ loans currently and life is just busy with a newborn and such now. Hope all my DISchurner friends are doing well!
No worries…appreciate all you do…I’m sure everyone is enjoying your son, such a wonderful time :flower1:

P2 applied for the AMEX Gold today using my referral link and got a “we need more time” message. I’m relatively new to AMEX - is there a status line I can stalk (like Chase), or anything I can do but sit and wait? Also, anything to read into the message he got?

He can check the status here:
https://online.americanexpress.com/eaol/statusCheckAction.do
I think it's not that common for an Amex app to go pending. Not sure what it means. Is it his first Amex?

Yes, it is. Does AMEX have reconsideration, like Chase? Realllllly hoping he won’t have to call.

They do, but I think it's rather rare to be denied by Amex. Does he have any of his credit reports frozen? That's one reason I can think of for it to go pending. Or just a system issue, in which case it should work it's way out. Or he can call to have it pushed through.

I just used PYB this week for some Disney dining! Such a nice feature to have :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter