I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DP on a Plat renewel. DH's AF hit. I was not expecting it and therefor missed the opportunity to ask for a retention before the fee hit. I used chat this morning and was offered $400 statement credit with $3000 spend in the next 3 months. I took it.

DP on a Plat renewel. DH's AF hit. I was not expecting it and therefor missed the opportunity to ask for a retention before the fee hit. I used chat this morning and was offered $400 statement credit with $3000 spend in the next 3 months. I took it.
Did you ask to cancel the card via chat and they offered the credit or did you ask about a retention offer first?

Does anyone have a referral link for the Chase Freedom Unlimited? I'm going to apply for that. I think there used to be a location here with referral links but I can't find it.

Edited to Add that I think I remember now that the links weren't here on the DISBoards but somewhere else, another group that I had to join first. I don't remember what it was called.
You are right The support links are on Reddit…in our Dischurners group

Thinking about getting a CIU. My last card was the Amex Gold on 4/2/2022. I also have the United biz which I opened on 1/29/2022 and working on finishing the spend. Last $1200 to go. I’m 4/24. Too soon or not? Also thinking of closing my United Quest at the year mark (7/1 for AF) since I have the United biz. Will that lower me to 3/24?
You should be fine applying for another Chase card since it’s been more than 3 months since your last Chase application remember to use a support link from P2 so they get the 20k URs

Unfortunately closing a card does not lower you to 3/24…that applies to all personal cards opened in the last 24 months….even if you close them after 1 year

Is it better to ask about retention offers before the AF hit? Is it specific to Amex or Chase? We have 2 CSRs and CSPs that were opened last June, so trying to figure out whether to ask about retention now or wait until the AF hits in the coming days. I know Chase is being stingy but it's worth asking

I got a CFF last year when the 5X on groceries for a year was included. It's coming up on my year (in August), but I'm not sure of the exact date. Does anyone know if there's a place you can see when this expires on your account? Or is it exactly 1 year from approval date? TIA.

Last edited:
I got a CFF last year when the 5X on groceries for a year was included. It's coming up on my year (in August), but I'm not sure of the exact date. Does anyone know if there's a place you can see when this expires on your account? Or is it exactly 1 year from approval date? TIA.
I opened one in September and don’t see an end date anywhere so assuming it’s 1 year after application date

Last edited:
I can answer #2. The UR portal points value is based on the price. The UA value is their point system which is not price based. Sometimes their points redemptions make absolutely no sense.

Are your URs associated with a CSR? If so, maybe consider paying for the ticket directly through united and then using PYB with dining out charges equal to the cost of the ticket. That way, you are booked directly with the airline, not though a third party travel agent.
Unfortunately PYB for dining ends on 6/30/22. :sad:

Is it better to ask about retention offers before the AF hit? Is it specific to Amex or Chase? We have 2 CSRs and CSPs that were opened last June, so trying to figure out whether to ask about retention now or wait until the AF hits in the coming days. I know Chase is being stingy but it's worth asking

With amex it doesn't matter though their offers can come and go. So you may have one after your af that wasn't there before or vice versa. It's all based on what the computer decides you can get if anything.

Chase I would wait until the af hits since it can be refunded and since they are so stingy it might be more likely after than before. I don't even bother asking since they really don't seem to give them.

I opened a new SW card end of May, annual fee was charged June 1. Online still says closing date not available. I find that odd, and the planner in me wants to know when the first statement will close!

Have they announced anything starting on July 1?
Nope, charities category goes until Dec 31 is all. I fear PYB is going away.

yeah im not 100% sure on jetblue but amex portal regardless of carrier= redemption I think.

This is incorrect regarding the 35% rebate. It only applies to biz or first class fares, or to any class of fare if it is with the airline you selected for your incidental credit. You may be thinking of the 5x on flights if booked through the Amex portal? ( I think that is on the biz plat as well, but don't quote me).

Last edited:
We have a $35k condo assessment due by July 31st (less painful bc they discounted it off the purchase price when we closed in May). Even better, we can charge it to a credit card or split between multiple, they are not adding any transaction fee (yes we verified), and it codes as travel!! :love1:

Sapphire Reserve is the best of our current cards at 3%. What other new travel card do you think we should consider? Any great sign up bonuses with crazy high MSR? We already have (many) Chase ink biz, sapphire, and SW along with 2 Hilton Amex. All others are fair game.

I'm looking to use UR to book my daughter's London semester flights. I'd like to book directly with United, but the points difference is so high, I may end up using the Chase portal.
A few questions: 1) don't these prices seem high for economy? I've got a few scanner apps watching for me and they say to keep waiting before I book.
2) Why the vast points difference between the Chase portal and directly with United?
3) If these rates continue, is it better to hold these URs and just pay for the flights?
thanks! :daisy:

View attachment 679600
View attachment 679601

1) don't these prices seem high for economy? I've got a few scanner apps watching for me and they say to keep waiting before I book. Historically, I like to be around $400-500 for an economy flight from ORD-LHR. But that's basic economy, and I'm assuming your daughter won't be traveling lightly, so that's something to consider with the fare class you book. Also, she's returning just before the holidays, which makes airfare rise quite a bit. They're dubbing the huge demand for travel "revenge travel." I underestimated what that would do for cash prices in 2022 and also used some predictor apps which kept telling me to wait, and it didn't work out for me. Junky flights to Europe were selling for $1000+ in basic economy.

3) If these rates continue, is it better to hold these URs and just pay for the flights? This is totally up to you. I personally don't want to get less than 1.5 cpp for my points, and so that's the math I use to tell me if I should book cash to pay with points. But some people value free or nearly free more than what they can get per point. So it's totally up to you.

For those newer to points redemptions and experienced, I really like the point.me website. You can pay for just one month (something like $12), but you'll get ACTUAL AVAILABILITY and instructions on how to transfer points and book the flights. Here's an example for your outbound flight:

1656359783376.png

Just a reminder, once you transfer points to an airline, they remain in that program, you can't transfer them back to Chase. If you book directly with the Chase portal, you are also then stuck dealing with their travel dept if any flights get changed/canceled, which people report can be a headache. I think I would personally want to have more control and flexibility, and I usually get that with award flights booked directly with an airline program. Also, luggage is probably going to be important, so make sure you are certain what baggage you are getting for each cash ticket or award you are thinking of booking.

Last edited:
This is incorrect regarding the 35% rebate. It only applies to biz for first class fares, or to any class of fare if it is with the airline you selected for your incidental credit. You may be thinking of the 5x on flights if booked through the Amex portal? ( I think that is on the biz plat as well, but don't quote me).
ahh, This makes sense I always transfer to partners I find this to be the best value almost always. Even though right now award space is a lot of work lol.

Last edited:
Hi all! My sincere apologies if this has been asked and answered. I have a Bonvoy Boundless question - I just got approved. My question is about the “path to gold” with 35,000 spend. We pay tuition that, if we used the card, would get us there between September 2022 and June 2023. When it says you need to spend 35,000 in a year, does that mean account year (like June-June if I just opened the account) or calendar year? Do I lose my progress on Jan 1? If I do, it would take until Dec 2023 to spend the money (spring tuition and the following fall). If I qualify for gold in December 2023, how long do I keep that status? Paying tuition by card comes with a fee, so I don’t want to do it if the benefit isn’t worth it. Sorry if my question is convoluted.

well, I've noticed if I plug in some ages for other places that charge for a 3rd the point value goes up I wonder why it didn't on this. I did see it for cash just not on points. What's their email? I'm now curious. edit I Found it I'm going to email them.
I emailed. It is $150 per night for 3-4 people, $300 per night for 5-6 people.
We are also booked for Tabacon and Andaz for March. Did you book flights and if so, did you find any good redemptions? I am waiting for SW flights to open, as we specifically selected Costa Rica to take more advantage of SW CP.
I'm also waiting for SW. AA has nonstop ORD to LIR but way too many miles.
Did you know how much the additional charge is for more than 2 people at Tabacon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter