I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

If you use Good RX, check your rewards balance. The rewards can be cashed in for gift cards, which I didn't know until today. I got a $30 Disney gift card. Free money, woo hoo! I also used two 10% OD offers for $100 Disney GCs. First time I have redeemed any offers for GCs and it went very smoothly. The guy didn't bat an eye at me using two different cards. I think I have it on at least 2 other cards, so I'll have to make another trip.

I am so torn. DS is headed to U of Alabama this week. I am going with him but he’ll be on campus. I can’t decide on just staying in Tuscaloosa at the Embassy Suites or the HR in Birmingham. I could use the Hyatt nights to maintain my status but it seems like being in Tuscaloosa would be fun since there are plenty of restaurants and shops to walk to. Any thoughts? I have decide by 11:59 tonight.
Birmingham is the better city for food IMO. Its a fun place!

That’s cool!
My kids are 3 and 5, and the oldest is just now able to control a suitcase well and hes very tall. We love our ebag MotherLode backpacks. (Someone here recommended them to me and I wish I could recall who!) We would use those for the kids stuff and suitcases for us, so each parent had a backpack, suitcase, and a free hand for a kid. Now we still usually do that setup, but will occasionally give our big guy a suitcase because it makes him happy haha

Speaking of- we really could use new rolling suitcases for ourselves if anyone has recs!

Last edited:
My kids are 3 and 5, and the oldest is just now able to control a suitcase well and hes very tall. We love our ebag MotherLode backpacks. (Someone here recommended them to me and I wish I could recall who!) We would use those for the kids stuff and suitcases for us, so each parent had a backpack, suitcase, and a free hand for a kid. Now we still usually do that setup, but will occasionally give our big guy a suitcase because it makes him happy haha

Speaking of- we really could use new rolling suitcases for ourselves if anyone has recs!
Nearly 5 years ago DH and I purchased a set of the Travel Pro Platinum Magna 2 bags. We each have a checked, carry on and international sized carry on bag from this brand and series. I recall at that time looking for a bag that was really durable, had great spinner wheels and these were frequently recommended by flight attendants. I got tired of replacing bags every year or so and had been eyeing Briggs & Riley bags but couldn't swallow the price tag. So my compromise at the time was this. I don't know if they still make them anymore but those bags have been with us on every international trip since then and a good number of domestic trips as well. They fit a ton and can take a beating. The handles, wheels and zippers are all still in perfect working condition. I recently just got rid of a couple of Delsey bags that had far less mileage on them and were in need of repair.

I am thinking about booking a cruise out of Vancouver for next June. Air Canada has the best times for our flights. I know nothing about them. I don’t have any points for them but do have a bunch of Chase points I could transfer? Up until the end of the month they have a 20% transfer bonus.

Any reviews or tips for Air Canada? I noticed when I tried to look in miles it send me to the CAD site?

Looking for suggestions/tips in planning a November trip. DH turns 50 and wants to go somewhere warm with a beach to relax. We went to Italy for my 50th and I'm trying real hard to talk him into Europe again, so many cool places yet to be explored! He is thinking Virgin Islands, DR, or even Cancun, but we're open to anything really. He has about 200K MR he's willing to use, but I don't think there's any great flights/points transfers to the Caribbean, but I could totally be missing something. We are in NE Ohio so could fly out of CAK, CLE, CMH, or PIT. Would we be better off just paying cash for those flights and saving the points?

I need some advice/opinions on suitcases. We’re planning to check two bags for our Germany flight. We normally bring 3 backpacks, one for each of us, but are considering getting ds his own smaller roller suitcase to use instead. Is it unrealistic to expect a 3 year old to roll a suitcase through the airport lol? If it’ll be more trouble we’ll just stick with the backpacks instead
I would possibly consider a https://trunki.com/ I had them for each of my kids, then if you needed them to you could put them on it and drag them. My youngest was about to turn 4 when we went to WDW, no chance he was pulling a roller through the large airports without me getting upset with him. But with the Trunki being new he was still excited about it and did well.
Next week I'm going to be booking SW flights. I'll book three with my account and DW will book one with her account. All four will be the same flight. I should get enough points for a companion pass a little later this year. My plan was to cancel her flight if there was an open seat and add her as my companion. Can I buy one flight with cash (CSR credit) and the other two with points in the same transaction or will I have to do two? If I have to make two transactions can I then call SW and get them combined into one confirmation number?
No, you can't book one flight with cash and one with points on the same transaction. They will be separate confirmation numbers.

I would keep your Cap One open. When I started churning I made the mistake of closing a card I had been using for years to “make room” on my roster for more cards, and removing a card that I’d had for so long dinged my credit score.

If you have a big issue with the fee, you can call them and ask to product change to a no fee card.
But downgrading to the venture one will keep the account open and not affect my score right?

But downgrading to the venture one will keep the account open and not affect my score right?
The only way closing the card is going to affect your score is in the amount of utilization. If you don't need the CL for utilization the closed account stays on your account for 10 years and helps with average age of accounts. If you're not going to use the card there are very few reasons to keep it open.
You are correct a PC will not change the open date on the tradeline.

I would possibly consider a https://trunki.com/ I had them for each of my kids, then if you needed them to you could put them on it and drag them. My youngest was about to turn 4 when we went to WDW, no chance he was pulling a roller through the large airports without me getting upset with him. But with the Trunki being new he was still excited about it and did well.

No, you can't book one flight with cash and one with points on the same transaction. They will be separate confirmation numbers.
I’ve seen those but we’ll already have his stroller so I think it might be too much to also bring a Trunki plus I don’t think he would sit on it for long

I am thinking about booking a cruise out of Vancouver for next June. Air Canada has the best times for our flights. I know nothing about them. I don’t have any points for them but do have a bunch of Chase points I could transfer? Up until the end of the month they have a 20% transfer bonus.

Any reviews or tips for Air Canada? I noticed when I tried to look in miles it send me to the CAD site?
My family are frequent AC flyers. Not sure what info you are looking for, but I can tell you that they use dynamic pricing -- they do not drop mileage required closer to the date, quite the opposite. They release award seats at 355 days. Some routes have more seats than others, so look at positioning if possible. I have flown in economy on older planes and it's not terrible (newer planes not so great). Their extra legroom seats are pretty decent for domestic travel. If biz class seats are priced outrageously, then I'd def fly in economy, depending on the length of your flight (I try to save my points for international travel).
I'd try to give yourself a few days in Vancouver pre or post-cruise (Fairmont Pacific Rim is an o/s property and worth a splurge). IMO Granville Island is a must-visit every trip, with a visit to Lee's Donuts. Take the ferry to Vancouver Island and visit Victoria. Rent bikes and ride through Stanley Park, visit Capilano Suspension Bridge (there is a shuttle there and back from the waterfront). I love Fly Over Canada (like Soarin', but over Canada and no lines lol). We never rent a car in Vancouver -- use a combo of transit, walking and Ubers. Whistler is also worth a visit (you'd want to spend at least 1 or 2 nights there), summer sports there are amazing -- I have friends who just did 3 days of hiking there and had a fantastic time). There is a shuttle from downtown to Whistler and back -- I would take that over paying for parking at Whistler (dd and I have taken it from the airport and I'd recommend it).

Informed delivery shows I have a billing statement from amex in the mail. I'm totally paperless and can't figure out what it's for. Only has my name once so it shouldn't be for a biz card.

I cancelled my surpass recently but they reversed the af so it shouldn't be for that. Didn't have any recurring charges on it either. Guess I'll just wonder until I get the mail later.

Can someone explain repositioning to me? I'm looking to fly to Europe for a cruise next summer. We've only flown international two times - once to Germany and once to Australia. Both were in 2018 and we flew United both times by transferring points from Chase. All flights were 30,000 pts each way. I know things have changed since then, plus I will have more options besides UR if necessary. (I was just getting into CC churning then and the easy route worked for me).

Anyway, we'll be flying from STL and don't need first class seats. Right now we're looking at either London or Barcelona to cruise from. The cruises would be last part of June into July if that matters.

Is there a good place to search to see what all is even available or how would you go about figuring where to position from? Most flights to Europe from STL tend to layover in Chicago, New York or Washington DC.
depends on when you wanna go I look at when the calendar drops they tend to release a few saver fares right away but not always I've had good luck. have been able to get 120k points for air France for business multiple times now right when the schedule drops I think its 60 for the economy. 30k fares are over IMO.

Wondering if anyone else shares my point of view on which direction to get the more comfy seats?

We were in Europe for a couple weeks in June. Flight there left in the evening, arrived AMS 10AM. Didn't sleep much, just watched some movies and relaxed, but we dropped our bags and were good for most of the day, followed by dinner and an early night. Woke up ready to go the next day.

Flight home left at 8am and arrived 1pm. It was miserable being in the back of the plane! Didn't sleep much the night before, anticipating an early ride to the airport, and airport connections were long and frustrating. I'd have LOVED to be anywhere but in the main cabin. I think if I only had points for one direction in F or J, I'd choose coming home vs the flight to Europe.

Anyone else?

We just got back from 2 weeks in Ireland in June. We took a 9:30pm flight from BOS to DUB in Aer Lingus Biz Class, arriving in DUB at 8:30am local time. We very much enjoyed the ability to get more comfortable and attempt to really sleep even if it wasn't great.

On the way back we did SNN to BOS to RDU in Economy departing at 1:30pm and arriving home at 8:30pm (1:30am Ireland time). Had a good night's sleep and was pretty much back to regular schedule.

My DH was named PlanePrincess by this board and he has turned me into one too. So it's comfy seats both ways for us. But to answer the question, I suppose it depends on the time of the flight. For a late evening flight, I will want to sleep and arrive refreshed. The last thing I'd want is to start my trip irritated and sleep deprived.

We did entertain the idea of trying to upgrade our return seats to Biz Class, but because we'd booked with Aer Lingus/Avios, they told us there was no way to upgrade with points.

So while I'll try in the future to book biz round trip, if I had to pick only 1 leg, it would definitely be going east to europe. I should say that we're mostly retired and did not have to worry about working following our return home.

My husband and I flew Air Canada for our cruise in June, and it didn't go well. We used the Chase portal with our CSR to book our flights way in advance with United--which then was switched to an Air Canada flight. We had picked seats on our first flight, but were unable to after the switch to Air Canada. When we went to check in to our flights, it showed that they had bumped both of us to standby. I ended up making it on the plane, my husband did not. We had an 9am flight the day before the cruise, and he didn't end up making it to Vancouver on until 11pm. On top of that, they lost some of our luggage. It was what was supposed to be a carry-on bag, but with the switch from United to Air Canada, the plane they were using was small, so the carry on baggage had a smaller requirement than most airlines. We had to check my bag that had all my important stuff in it (like I said--it was planned as a carry-on!). A lot of expensive outdoor wear (important for an Alaska cruise!), and things particular to me that I was unable to replace before embarkation. We ended up spending our whole morning before boarding in Vancouver trying to replace nearly all my clothing and some other lost items.

They did end up compensating my husband for denied boarding. We were given a $1550 check (not a flight voucher), and we are still in waiting to see if what if anything we will be compensated for the luggage (They did find it and we got it back after our cruise, but we still had to pay to replace a bunch of stuff for the trip).

So, take my one data point how you will, but if I were to fly with them again before a cruise, I'd give myself 2 days of leway rather than 1.

Is anyone else still (or newly) having trouble with combining points with Chase?
I searched, and the last mention on this forum was in March (I've not been active on here in a bit). I opened a new CSR this month that P2 was going to transfer points to, so he called chase to establish a link. They transfered the points he requested, but even several days later it's not showing up as an option online.

And with my CIC, it had been set up to transfer to a card that is now closed, so I called to add my new card, and they made the transfer over the phone, but it's not showing up in Ultimate Rewards to do myself. So I currently can't transfer CIC points anywhere without calling.

So, I am able to call each time to have points transferred, but I'd rather be able to do it online myself. Anyone else having this issue, or is it just us?

Last week I applied for a CIC and was denied. My first denial. The nerve 😅
Today I called recon and they asked some questions then said they will review again and let me know in 1-2 weeks. How much hope is there?

I'm also surprised it'll take that long. Once had to call recon for DH, about 2 yrs ago, and they considered and let us know right away. That one was successful, so I wonder if "we'll let you know" is a nicer way of saying "you'll get your final denial in the mail" lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter