I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

We have 3 lines but a 4th is my apple watch. That's only $10 a month (maybe it's gone up, but that was it originally) so curious if that's considered a "line" for these purposes. But the trick worked because I won't bother trying to think about Mint if I'm saving $30-$40 a month. Maybe in the future.
Ooooh good question. I have 4 lines and my watch. They all had numbers that could be locked. That will be interesting to see.

I know that several of us have mentioned on here that the May/June flights to Europe are crazy expensive. I am working on rescheduling a 2020 cancelled trip to Italy. I just thought I would share the differences between 2020 and 2024, both years were booked in September so not when the flights were released. It is crazy!!
You and I are in the same boat for same time period. We have been to Europe a couple times with the
last time right before Covid hit. Paid around 6-650 each for EXIT rows nonstop roundtrip. Now I'm just looking
for 2 seats and prices are absurd. I was really discouraged at prices a few days ago because my preference
is Delta. However after talking with a Delta rep I feel a bit better. She gave better option of booking
open jaw....instead of 180k miles each way it brought it to 192k total. Also looking at Delta up and
United going home. Cheaper. She said be on lookout for flash sales now that fall is here.

These mile totals are still high but hopefully they go down. Cash price for our date is like 4k for economy LOL,

Oh and check out Flying Blue. Booking Air France/KLM was cheaper also but Im not familiar with those
airlines.

Last edited:
I was looking for flights to Europe for next summer and noticed they were way up even compared to this summer. We got them, though. All in J, all for under 100k each, but I couldn't find the 50-60k I'd seen in years past.
I would settle for 100k each in a second. 180k-220k im seeing now no way. lol. Did you look
every day?

Every time I hear news about airlines these days it is negative changes. Much harder to find great deals.

Last edited:
Glad the Verizon trick worked for you all!

We have 8 lines and will save $960 over the next year, so I wanted to pass it along!
Hi can you please (or anyone else) reinterate the Verizon trick? I just signed in my account right
now and didnt see anything. Thanks

**Oh i looked further at Verizon and looks like we are already getting the 10 off every line.

**Anyone have tips about getting directv lowered? Getting ready to cancel and cut cord. Just wondering
about local channels.

Anyone renewed TSA-pre lately? When I renewed mine back in June, it was approved and I got the new expiration date within 3 days. I submitted the renewal for my DH's on 9/12, and it's still pending almost 2.5 weeks later. It does have a message at the bottom that it could take up to 60 days, which would put us in mid-November! And it states to wait 60 days to contact them. We have a flight on 12/2 so I'm hoping it doesn't go longer than that. Anyone have any experience on waiting times recently?

Hi can you please (or anyone else) reinterate the Verizon trick? I just signed in my account right
now and didnt see anything. Thanks

**Oh i looked further at Verizon and looks like we are already getting the 10 off every line.

**Anyone have tips about getting directv lowered? Getting ready to cancel and cut cord. Just wondering
about local channels.
It might be a different $10/line discount! Reports are saying that this stacks with all other discounts, so if you don’t already have *this* specific discount on your lines, you may be able to get it:

1. Open your My Verizon app.
2. Click on the Account icon at the bottom of the app.
3. Towards the top, it says "Hi (Your Name)" Click on the "Edit Profile and Settings" link underneath that.
4. On the Account Settings screen, scroll down to the Security section and click Number Lock.
5. On the Number Lock screen, turn off the Number Lock for each line. This enables other carriers to port out your line.
6. Go back to the Account Settings screen and click on Number Transfer Pin.
7. Generate a Number Transfer Pin. Since I already did it, I can't do it again right now in order to give you step-by-step directions. It was easy. You can figure it out.

And that's it. Wait a day or two and see if Verizon decides you are also a loyal customer worth giving a $10.00 per line loyalty discount for 12 months. YMMV.

Note: After a few days, go back into the app and turn Number Lock back on, so nefarious characters can't try to port out your phone number without your consent.

I would settle for 100k each in a second. 180k-220k im seeing now no way. lol. Did you look
every day?

Every time I hear news about airlines these days it is negative changes. Much harder to find great deals.
I think most of that is from social media. Everyone and their dog is sharing how to travel hack, making it much harder to find good deals.

about local channels.
We switched to Directv Stream and really like it. We have the choice package which starts at $90/month and goes to $100/month after 3 months. We chose it because we like to follow our local MLB team and that package includes the regional sports channels.

When we got it, we did get a gemini box which makes the interface more like typical satellite tv with channel numbers, etc. Otherwise the interface is more like other streaming services where you search by category, etc.

One other thing (which we haven't done yet), is that you are supposed to be able to pause the service for a time if you want. We are talking about pausing it after baseball season since most everything else we watch is on other streaming services, but we haven't tested it yet.

We switched to Directv Stream and really like it. We have the choice package which starts at $90/month and goes to $100/month after 3 months. We chose it because we like to follow our local MLB team and that package includes the regional sports channels.

When we got it, we did get a gemini box which makes the interface more like typical satellite tv with channel numbers, etc. Otherwise the interface is more like other streaming services where you search by category, etc.

One other thing (which we haven't done yet), is that you are supposed to be able to pause the service for a time if you want. We are talking about pausing it after baseball season since most everything else we watch is on other streaming services, but we haven't tested it yet.
Yes this is the problem. My husband is big college football and basketball nut especially local teams.
So we are paying 120 a month for him to turn on the tv every Saturday. I want alacart but when i called they
said to get local/sport channels you pay for the bloated package. Sad. I will look into DStream. Thanks

Please do not pay 100k for ow, Delta economy flights plus taxes/fees. $2500 pp for economy? No, just no. You could get 4 trips for these prices.
Thanks for the reality check! DH and I have definitely discussed at length. We want to have points for other trips for us since we are empty nesters. I am always open to suggestions and still trying to learn all the ins and outs. When you are used to flying Delta for everything it is hard, but we aren't going to be Delta loyalists for long with all the changes.

You and I are in the same boat for same time period. We have been to Europe a couple times with the
last time right before Covid hit. Paid around 6-650 each for EXIT rows nonstop roundtrip. Now I'm just looking
for 2 seats and prices are absurd. I was really discouraged at prices a few days ago because my preference
is Delta. However after talking with a Delta rep I feel a bit better. She gave better option of booking
open jaw....instead of 180k miles each way it brought it to 192k total. Also looking at Delta up and
United going home. Cheaper. She said be on lookout for flash sales now that fall is here.

These mile totals are still high but hopefully they go down. Cash price for our date is like 4k for economy LOL,

Oh and check out Flying Blue. Booking Air France/KLM was cheaper also but Im not familiar with those
airlines.
Definitely hoping for some flash sales this fall!

Anyone renewed TSA-pre lately? When I renewed mine back in June, it was approved and I got the new expiration date within 3 days. I submitted the renewal for my DH's on 9/12, and it's still pending almost 2.5 weeks later. It does have a message at the bottom that it could take up to 60 days, which would put us in mid-November! And it states to wait 60 days to contact them. We have a flight on 12/2 so I'm hoping it doesn't go longer than that. Anyone have any experience on waiting times recently?
I renewed both DH's and mine about two weeks ago and we both had the renewal and updated expiration dates in 2-3 days. Anything about your DH's job or background that might make him more scrutinized? That would be the only thing I could think of.

every day?

Yes, we pretty much stalked the airlines as each one opened up booking. Had to pay more in taxes because we used the "bird in the hand" mentality since we are going to be there in July and figured anything was better than nothing.

I think most of that is from social media. Everyone and their dog is sharing how to travel hack, making it much harder to find good deals.
I think you're right. I wish people would realize that sharing too much will hurt us all.

every day?

One more thing. The points prices seemed to change day to day, so sometimes we say 350k one way, sometimes 155k, and sometimes 70k or 80k. So my advice is to keep checking and to be flexible about the route and the airline.

Yes this is the problem. My husband is big college football and basketball nut especially local teams.
So we are paying 120 a month for him to turn on the tv every Saturday. I want alacart but when i called they
said to get local/sport channels you pay for the bloated package. Sad. I will look into DStream. Thanks

Live sports are killers for tv packages. Luckily ours is basically just baseball, but we basically pay $100 a month to watch the Cardinals play (or whatever you want to call it that they're doing this year lol)! But, we do love watching!

One more thing. The points prices seemed to change day to day, so sometimes we say 350k one way, sometimes 155k, and sometimes 70k or 80k. So my advice is to keep checking and to be flexible about the route and the airline.
This wild fluctuation of pts cost is also what I experienced over the past 2 years when booking Europe. You have to check daily, on multiple airlines, for multiple cities and dates.

Virgin has some good pts deals right now if you don't mind the higher taxes. I checked May from JFK to LHR and June from ORD to LHR and found availability in their Upper Class biz.

This wild fluctuation of pts cost is also what I experienced over the past 2 years when booking Europe. You have to check daily, on multiple airlines, for multiple cities and dates.

Virgin has some good pts deals right now if you don't mind the higher taxes. I checked May from JFK to LHR and June from ORD to LHR and found availability in their Upper Class biz.
We really wanted to fly VA instead of BA, but BA releases their seats a few weeks before VA does, so we took what we found (using the MR discount helped). I thought it would be fun to take VA for a change, but it wasn't worth the risk for us. The only time we booked Upper Class on VA was when we booked a last minute flight so the seats had been released a long time in advance for that trip.

The daily changing of the points needed thing is super annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter