I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I looked at all my card chase bonus offers and the only one I got was with my SW Prority and got a statement credit with HBO. I guess chase does not want to give me any offers to spend with

I'm at a dilemma today. I need to app for a new card or cards today; we have quite a few big expenses coming up. I have 3 I'm considering:

-Citi Aadvantage Platinum Select (business version): 75k AA miles for $6,000 spend in 6 mos., $0 AF for 1st year
-Barclays Aadvantage Aviator Red: 60k AA miles after first purchase and paying $99 AF
-another CIU: 90,000 URs after $6,000 spend in 3 mos., no AF (plus referral from other spouse +40K)

I don't think we can swing two $6k spends around the same time, so I need to choose one or the other. Thinking one of us (DH) will get another CIU, and then I'll get the Barclays card since that really doesn't have a spend requirement. Any chance you guys think both DH and I can app for Barclays today, AND app for a CIU? It's been 3 years since we closed our Barclays cards, so I believe we're good on that front. Can ALWAYS use more AA miles, since we fly them primarily from our home airport, and can always use more URs (since we're probably going to deplete close to 350k booking Thailand). Then again, I think I remember Barclays is harder to get, and Citi is usually easier, BUT we have no business relationship with them at all, so maybe that's debatable. Ugh decisions decisions.

WWYD?

I'm at a dilemma today. I need to app for a new card or cards today; we have quite a few big expenses coming up. I have 3 I'm considering:

-Citi Aadvantage Platinum Select (business version): 75k AA miles for $6,000 spend in 6 mos., $0 AF for 1st year
-Barclays Aadvantage Aviator Red: 60k AA miles after first purchase and paying $99 AF
-another CIU: 90,000 URs after $6,000 spend in 3 mos., no AF (plus referral from other spouse +40K)

I don't think we can swing two $6k spends around the same time, so I need to choose one or the other. Thinking one of us (DH) will get another CIU, and then I'll get the Barclays card since that really doesn't have a spend requirement. Any chance you guys think both DH and I can app for Barclays today, AND app for a CIU? It's been 3 years since we closed our Barclays cards, so I believe we're good on that front. Can ALWAYS use more AA miles, since we fly them primarily from our home airport, and can always use more URs (since we're probably going to deplete close to 350k booking Thailand). Then again, I think I remember Barclays is harder to get, and Citi is usually easier, BUT we have no business relationship with them at all, so maybe that's debatable. Ugh decisions decisions.

WWYD?
I don’t know anything about Barclays so will leave that to others….as far as a CIU…if your watching the Chase application guidelines…aprox 90 days between applications and the total credit limit with Chase it should be fine

WWYD?
Citi has a new 48 month rule attached to their AA card bonuses, so as between that and Barclay, I would go for Citi and start that clock running. Of course, if you would prefer to do Barclay and the CIU that's entirely up to you. I haven't read of any end dates for the 90k UR offer, but I imagine one will be coming eventually.

Of the 3 you listed, Barclay tends to be the most inquire sensitive, but I've successfully recon'd my last 2 applications after a denial.

I don’t know anything about Barclays so will leave that to others….as far as a CIU…if your watching the Chase application guidelines…aprox 90 days between applications and the total credit limit with Chase it should be fine
Yep, total credit limit with Chase is good/below 35% of income, and well over 90 days from last app as well.
Citi has a new 48 month rule attached to their AA card bonuses, so as between that and Barclay, I would go for Citi and start that clock running. Of course, if you would prefer to do Barclay and the CIU that's entirely up to you. I haven't read of any end dates for the 90k UR offer, but I imagine one will be coming eventually.

Of the 3 you listed, Barclay tends to be the most inquire sensitive, but I've successfully recon'd my last 2 applications after a denial.
Ah, didn't realize about the new 48 month rule with Citi. Just read up on it on DoC. I agree, I probably should get that clock running first. Also definitely want to continue getting as many INKS as possible with the 90k offer before that runs out. Since Citi is giving 6 months to meet spend, I could probably pull off both a CIU and Citi Biz. Thanks for the input!

The HH missing SUB continues. No supervisor called me back yesterday so I had to place another call to AmEx. The wait for a supervisor was over 25 minutes. This supervisor emphatically told me that the issue would be resolved by mid-January. I told her that a supervisor told me on December 10th that it would be resolved by December 31st. She told me that she had been dealing with this issue for several weeks and never once heard the end-of-year date and reiterated mid-January. I pressed her on the December 31st date and she finally agreed to talk to her "support team". After a long duration on hold she came back and said that her support team was able to locate a memo that stated the December 31st timeline, though she said that she had not heard anything about it and questioned how I knew (because the supervisor I spoke to a few wks ago told me). She put me on hold again and finally came back and said that with the help of the support team they were able to push through my 80k points and the FNC. She said the points should show in 48 hours and the FNC may take up to 2 weeks. She told me that the problem wasn't just the system glitch not recognizing when MSR was met, it was also that the AmEx system was not allowing affected accounts to have points put in them. She said between Friday and yesterday my account had been fixed and they were able to manually push through the SUB. I am hopeful this time, but will believe it when I have the pts and FNC in my account. When I asked about the bonus points she said she had not heard anything about this (here we go again.....), but she was not able to put any bonus points in my account (she did offer 3k HH pts lol). She said to follow-up in a month if no bonus points are in my account. Total call time was 1h10m.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2024, friends!

I have a dp I wanted to share. As I was walking DH through modifying a SW reservation that had a change window, his app showed different options than on the website. I could change his flight to a nonstop on the website that he couldn't access on his app. So just a reminder to check both places.

Another dp, though YMMV, is that I closed my Aspire on 12/31 the night before my AF was due on 1/1. (I was offered a 10K pt for $1K spend retention offer FWIW) and I wasn't sure if the AF refund would post in time but it did so I didn't have to pay the $450 on 1/1. On another note I seem to be in popup jail. I tried for the Surpass, which I've never had, before closing the Aspire and kept getting the message that I'm not eligible for the SUB. This was true even if I switched browsers or went incognito. Previous attempts at the Biz Gold and Biz Plat also got me that message. I guess that's a sign for me to focus on other issuers.

So we had a really bad last few months of the year and credit cards were not a thing I was thinking about.

I’d love to have a southwest companion pass before Easter. I can’t get the business cards until February. My husband will get one too, probably business cards.

If I get both personal for 50k each, plus refer my DH to the biz card for 20,000 points, I’m at 120k points. I need 135k now right? Is it correct that I get the 6k anniversary points on my biz premier I plan to cancel once those points post and I can use those towards the companion pass.

Also doesn’t having a credit card get you a bonus 10k points, and since I have an active card, I will get that.

So basically 51k new personal priority, 51k new personal premier, 20k support for DH biz premier, 10k annual credit card bonus, 6k yearly renewal points= 138k and I’m good.

Then DH has 86k from new performance biz, 40k referrals for my 2 personal cards, 10k annual bonus and he also has a companion pass?

Double check my math please!

P2 just got an email inviting him to apply for a CIU for 90000 points (which is hilarious, since he just opened yet another Ink). The interesting part is it says to apply by Jan 7th. I am not sure if that is indicative of an end date for the 90k offer, or not, but thought I would put it out there.
Yikes I hope not

P2 just got an email inviting him to apply for a CIU for 90000 points (which is hilarious, since he just opened yet another Ink). The interesting part is it says to apply by Jan 7th. I am not sure if that is indicative of an end date for the 90k offer, or not, but thought I would put it out there.
I got the same email this morning for my account, with same date. Hope this is not an end date, but I'm app'ing for a CIU under DH account today just in case. This pushed me over the edge of deciding, lol.

ETA: Instant approval on CIU for DH, using my referral link. $6K CL.
Next step, trying to get them to expedite the card so I have it for some expenses next week!

Last edited:
I can't get another one (still need to meet MSR on my new one), but dd has never had one. She has a CSP and is an AU on my Hyatt card. She has 2 AmEx cards (personal & biz HH). Would it be okay to apply for a card for her? I can't recall what criteria Chase uses for approval. MSR can be met with March & April property tax payments.

So we had a really bad last few months of the year and credit cards were not a thing I was thinking about.

I’d love to have a southwest companion pass before Easter. I can’t get the business cards until February. My husband will get one too, probably business cards.

If I get both personal for 50k each, plus refer my DH to the biz card for 20,000 points, I’m at 120k points. I need 135k now right? Is it correct that I get the 6k anniversary points on my biz premier I plan to cancel once those points post and I can use those towards the companion pass.

Also doesn’t having a credit card get you a bonus 10k points, and since I have an active card, I will get that.

So basically 51k new personal priority, 51k new personal premier, 20k support for DH biz premier, 10k annual credit card bonus, 6k yearly renewal points= 138k and I’m good.

Then DH has 86k from new performance biz, 40k referrals for my 2 personal cards, 10k annual bonus and he also has a companion pass?

Double check my math please!
Math looks right……you probably know but to get 2 SW personal cards you need to do a MDD

I've seen multiple DP with different January dates. I don't think that's the end of the 90k offer. With that said I saw a post on a FB group I'm in that said the end date would be Jan 21. The group is Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) & Partners.

I've seen multiple DP with different January dates. I don't think that's the end of the 90k offer. With that said I saw a post on a FB group I'm in that said the end date would be Jan 21. The group is Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) & Partners.
Usually, whenever the public link dies, the referral links/affiliate links go on for awhile longer. I'm probably going to plan to apply in January just to be safe, but it would not shock me if there's working links that stretch into February.

Usually, whenever the public link dies, the referral links/affiliate links go on for awhile longer. I'm probably going to plan to apply in January just to be safe, but it would not shock me if there's working links that stretch into February.
I forgot about that. I'm going to apply for a CIU with DW's support link before January 21 just in case. My last Chase card was in September 2023. I closed my oldest CIC and dropped credit limits on a few cards in preparation. Fingers crossed I can add some more UR to my stash.

Last edited:
The HH missing SUB continues. No supervisor called me back yesterday so I had to place another call to AmEx. The wait for a supervisor was over 25 minutes. This supervisor emphatically told me that the issue would be resolved by mid-January. I told her that a supervisor told me on December 10th that it would be resolved by December 31st. She told me that she had been dealing with this issue for several weeks and never once heard the end-of-year date and reiterated mid-January. I pressed her on the December 31st date and she finally agreed to talk to her "support team". After a long duration on hold she came back and said that her support team was able to locate a memo that stated the December 31st timeline, though she said that she had not heard anything about it and questioned how I knew (because the supervisor I spoke to a few wks ago told me). She put me on hold again and finally came back and said that with the help of the support team they were able to push through my 80k points and the FNC. She said the points should show in 48 hours and the FNC may take up to 2 weeks. She told me that the problem wasn't just the system glitch not recognizing when MSR was met, it was also that the AmEx system was not allowing affected accounts to have points put in them. She said between Friday and yesterday my account had been fixed and they were able to manually push through the SUB. I am hopeful this time, but will believe it when I have the pts and FNC in my account. When I asked about the bonus points she said she had not heard anything about this (here we go again.....), but she was not able to put any bonus points in my account (she did offer 3k HH pts lol). She said to follow-up in a month if no bonus points are in my account. Total call time was 1h10m.
That supervisor's story seems like a work of fiction. 🧐

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter