I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

The 10% Home depot online offer (one-time use) on my Chase cards has a disclaimer at the bottom that the merchant may split the order into multiple shipments, resulting in 10% back on only the first part. If this is the case, call the number on the back of your card. So I called the number on the back of my card, the rep put me on hold for a while and came back on and said there was nothing she could do about the fact that the order was split. So why does Chase put the disclaimer on the offer that says to call? Guess it's a HUCB situation.

Folks in the GC thread are reporting that they are being told that the split transaction will be manually credited, so definitely give HUCB a try here.

I will have some upcoming heath care expenses due to a recent medical diagnosis. I am ready to apply for a new credit card. I got a CIC in Jan 23, a CFF in Nov 23, and a CIP in Jan 2024. I’m currently 2/24 (Amex gold will drop off 5/1/24 making me 1/24 and I’m planning to cancel that card). My CSP is over 4 years since bonus. I already have a Cap1 VX since 2021. I plan to cancel my SW priority in October and try for a CP next year. Is there a better card to put health care expenses on? I don’t have FSA or HSA. And if I PC my CSP, what should I PC to, and how long before I can reapply for a new CSP? Thanks for any help.

According to the terms, the cruise needs to be booked with the plat, but the balance can be paid with any Amex. I've even paid a small amount on the CSR for the insurance and kept the benefits.

United TB codes airfare on Amex, so probably it'll work for the CSR travel credit. Though I would just do a refundable hotel. Chase isn't known to clawback like Amex.
thank you!

great, so if I don't get a good retention, I'l cancel and just use my surpass, put $300 on CSR (use the $300 travel credit! (after my af iin may

Hadn't thought about refundable hotel. I think I'll try the TB with $50. can always use money in there!

I'll throw this out there, as we are airbnb-ers. I like renting apartments, we have airbnb'ed in Budapest, Vienna, Dublin. We stayed in an airbnb in an area not far from the Edgeware Rd tube station (there are actually 2 separate Edgeware stations on different lines), called Hyde Park mansions on Cabbell St. Nice 2 BR place as we had our DD with us, kitchen for breakfast. Definitely quiet, and close to transportation, walking distance from Paddington Station and many restaurants.

We stayed at the Conrad last May and it was extremely quiet. Our room was on the interior side and faced the interior "courtyard" (we just saw the walls/windows of the other sides of the hotel). We also loved the location. I would definitely stay there again.

I don't think any parts of central London will be super quiet, but double-glazing on room windows makes a huge difference. I've also stayed at the Conrad St. James (street-facing room) and didn't have any issues with noise. The reason that I didn't stay there again is that I wanted to be on more tube lines (the Conrad is on the circle line and not really walking distance to any good restaurants). I would consider staying at the Conrad again, but I prefer the Mayfair area. It would come down to price and location. Probably my favorite hotel in London is the Beaumont, but it is pricey and not as close to tube stations as I would like.
Thanks! I was hoping to use hotel points if possible. I'm also trying to find three beds which seems like a rarity. I was thinking of just booking two rooms, but the cost is prohibitive.

Question on Chase credit limits when you are applying for a new card. If you are an AU on other cards, does that count towards your total credit limits? Or just the cards where you are the cardholder. This isn't a x/24 question, these are very old cards that dd is an AU on, but I want her to apply for a CIC or CIU and she doesn't have a huge household income so I want to see what will count against her credit limits.
The credit limits on cards she is an AU on don’t count towards her credit limits

I will have some upcoming heath care expenses due to a recent medical diagnosis. I am ready to apply for a new credit card. I got a CIC in Jan 23, a CFF in Nov 23, and a CIP in Jan 2024. I’m currently 2/24 (Amex gold will drop off 5/1/24 making me 1/24 and I’m planning to cancel that card). My CSP is over 4 years since bonus. I already have a Cap1 VX since 2021. I plan to cancel my SW priority in October and try for a CP next year. Is there a better card to put health care expenses on? I don’t have FSA or HSA. And if I PC my CSP, what should I PC to, and how long before I can reapply for a new CSP? Thanks for any help.
So sorry about your medical issues, sending 🙏🙏
From what I’ve read if you PC the CSP wait 4 days to apply for a new CSP….if you close the card it’s 31 days to reapply

Sorry to hear about your recent medical diagnosis.

Not sure how big your spend is, but you could do a MDD (CSP and CSR). URs are my favorite points currency.

Thanks! I was hoping to use hotel points if possible. I'm also trying to find three beds which seems like a rarity. I was thinking of just booking two rooms, but the cost is prohibitive.
Three beds in London is a bit of a unicorn. I think @CyndiLouWho had a room with a bed for her ds in London, but I can't recall the name. Do you have URs? I can't think of a Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt that has a base room with an extra bed, but you'd have a lot more choices with URs. Otherwise you could look at Mercure Hotels or Premier Inns in London (both more reasonably priced) and book 2 rooms. London is a very expensive city for hotels and the rooms are 'compact'. Good luck and let us know what you find.

The credit limits on cards she is an AU on don’t count towards her credit limits
Her one Disney card that is solely hers, puts her about 36% of her income, do you think she has a chance at an Ink? She actually files a schedule c, for editing, and has stellar credit. She has other personal cards on her report, so that is not her only, just her only Chase. She is moving into her own apartment for the first time so needs a bunch of furniture and can finally meet that spend.

They are a rarity. I was able to find 3 twin beds on Radisson points in Athens for this summer. The neighborhood was not ideal after further research so we scrapped that and booked a room that would accommodate three in a different area.

Trying to find a room that would accommodate 3 in London was challenging but do-able with Hyatt and a suite upgrade award thanks to attaining Globalist last year. Even if you don’t have suite night awards though, their suites can be booked straight with points if available.

If you have URs you can use and the above doesn’t work, I’d go on Booking dot com and do a search for London and 3 adults. Then filter the results by 3 twin beds. That should give you a list of what’s available and the general cost per night. Use those results to try and find the same thing on the Chase UR portal. I would think it would still require a phone call to make sure you are actually getting 3 beds.

We had 2 hotels in London where we used points and had 3 people. Booked Resident Victoria thru Chase portal and Doubletree London Victoria on Hilton points. Resident was the nicer, located near the palace. Small room but very well organized and felt bigger, day bed for my son. Doubletree right across from Victoria Station, room bigger with a pullout sofa bed and queen bed in a separate room (I think this was an upgrade but we booked for 3 people so maybe they have multiple room types that can fit 3, I don’t recall.)

Three beds in London is a bit of a unicorn. I think @CyndiLouWho had a room with a bed for her ds in London, but I can't recall the name. Do you have URs? I can't think of a Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt that has a base room with an extra bed, but you'd have a lot more choices with URs. Otherwise you could look at Mercure Hotels or Premier Inns in London (both more reasonably priced) and book 2 rooms. London is a very expensive city for hotels and the rooms are 'compact'. Good luck and let us know what you find.

They are a rarity. I was able to find 3 twin beds on Radisson points in Athens for this summer. The neighborhood was not ideal after further research so we scrapped that and booked a room that would accommodate three in a different area.

Trying to find a room that would accommodate 3 in London was challenging but do-able with Hyatt and a suite upgrade award thanks to attaining Globalist last year. Even if you don’t have suite night awards though, their suites can be booked straight with points if available.

If you have URs you can use and the above doesn’t work, I’d go on Booking dot com and do a search for London and 3 adults. Then filter the results by 3 twin beds. That should give you a list of what’s available and the general cost per night. Use those results to try and find the same thing on the Chase UR portal. I would think it would still require a phone call to make sure you are actually getting 3 beds.
We had 2 hotels in London where we used points and had 3 people. Booked Resident Victoria thru Chase portal and Doubletree London Victoria on Hilton points. Resident was the nicer, located near the palace. Small room but very well organized and felt bigger, day bed for my son. Doubletree right across from Victoria Station, room bigger with a pullout sofa bed and queen bed in a separate room (I think this was an upgrade but we booked for 3 people so maybe they have multiple room types that can fit 3, I don’t recall.)
Thanks! I have URs so that sounds like the best path. Back to searching. :)

I posted a while back about my Hilton Aspire FN award "fail" in that I had to use it for a low redemption value as the expiration date snuck up on us (used it in Brighton for a night during an early March London trip). Well, due to unforeseen travel during April, and DD24 PHD student too busy to play golf with her parents (where does she get her priorities?), we were in danger of a second poor redemption, but I just tacked on a pre-night to a Disneyland trip at the Waldorf Astoria BH on Monday. I went to USC years ago, but I haven’t stayed in BH in years so really looking forward to it—especially the rooftop bar. Have dinner reservations at Il Pastaio so hopefully some good people watching :)

Like WDW Groupie, we had some travel woes on our most recent trip to London. I’m not sure what is going on with the travel industry, but travel is very difficult right now. I traveled extensively during the pandemic, and it was nothing to now. We had issues at every step. We flew BA SFO to LHR Club out and First back. We were delayed in SFO on 2/29, and the flight after ours was cancelled. Coming back on 3/12 we woke up to texts/emails that our BA First class flight from LHR to SFO was cancelled, and we’d been rerouted on AA through Dallas—first to Dallas then “business” (i.e. US business) from Dallas to SFO. Uh … no. Fortunately, we’d woken up very early for our flight as we wanted to maximize our time in the Concorde Lounge, which I love. I was on the gold line right when it opened at 6 am, and 90 minutes later I was hopeful we had a solution, although the gold line guy couldn’t ticket it on the phone. I found (via google flights) BA LHR to LAX in First (preserving the experience we’d been looking forward to—IMO AA first is sub-par), and then UA from LAX to SFO in business. Fortunately, we got the email that it was ticketed on the way to the airport. It was the UA ticket causing problems as they are not a partner. The solution I found actually got us in an hour before the AA re-routing they’d proposed, but—and here’s the good news—our flight arrived more than 6 hours after we were originally due to arrive and since the cancellation had been due to “operational reasons,” we were entitled to compensation under EU/UK261. I filed last week and $1300 was credited in our bank account today. I really wish the US had a similar compensation scheme—it keeps the airlines honest. Flyer talk was really helpful for this—the BA thread will post reasons for the cancelled flights, and there is a wiki on how to file, etc. I could have also filed for the “downgrade” from LAX to SFO, but I decided to just let that one go as it would have been minimal.

Even with the acceptable re-route that I found though there were issues along the way. Delayed flights (a bag car tapped the BA LHR to LAX plane during loading requiring a long check), slow luggage at LAX that made our connection stressful, delayed luggage at SFO at 11 pm, traffic on the Bay Bridge due to road work, etc. So we had a lot of luxury sandwiched between tons of stress and nothing seemed to go smoothly. Not sure what is going on, but I hope they figure it out soon. From Flyertalk and similar boards, we are not alone. [Aside: my brother who was in London with his family at the same time also had travel woes, although not bad enough to qualify for EU compensation].

The small conspiracy theory part of me wonders if we were given the less than stellar re-route option due to the fact that we are American and most Americans don’t know about EU261. Flyertalk made me wonder as another gold (UK based) F passenger was given a much better option. Who knows, but it was really helpful to know our “rights” when something like this happens—and to have access to the Gold line.

So my longwinded post is to give head’s up to anyone flying European carriers or American carriers from the EU/UK to familiarize yourself with the EU compensation scheme—the BA board on Flyertalk is amazing and incredibly thorough. Tons and tons of info.

I don't think any parts of central London will be super quiet, but double-glazing on room windows makes a huge difference. I've also stayed at the Conrad St. James (street-facing room) and didn't have any issues with noise. The reason that I didn't stay there again is that I wanted to be on more tube lines (the Conrad is on the circle line and not really walking distance to any good restaurants). I would consider staying at the Conrad again, but I prefer the Mayfair area. It would come down to price and location. Probably my favorite hotel in London is the Beaumont, but it is pricey and not as close to tube stations as I would like.

I am so with you on location based on tube lines. The circle is not my favorite so that would actually weigh heavily against the Conrad for me. We used to stay in Mayfair near the Green Park tube station (which is the great), but now we stay in Mayfair near Bond/Marble Arch, which I prefer as we also get the Elizabeth Line at Bond street, which is my new favorite line. Bond has Central/Jubilee/Elizabeth. We have stopped using the Heathrow Express as the Elizabeth line is almost as quick and much much cheaper. Elizabeth Line also has AC and the trains are new and very clean.

I found a few hotels in London with 3 beds:
  • Lime Tree Hotel in Belgravia, it's a Mr. & Mrs. Smith hotel, so perhaps points option will open up with Hyatt in the next few months as Hyatt rolls them into their portfolio; I'm not in love with Belgravia as a location, but if it fits your needs and you can get it on points, then it might work
  • The Queen's Gate Hotel in Kensington (3 twin beds) looks really nice and would probably be my top choice
  • The Darlington Hyde Park (3 twin beds) would be my last choice of the tree and that's judging strictly by the pictures on their website, but it would probably the least expensive of the 3; it looks to be close to Paddington Station, so your transport options would be excellent I'd think
For London, the TfL app is very useful for using the tube / buses. I found the walking times to be wonky -- for example, the app said I was 8 mins walk from Green Park tube station, it never took more than 4 minutes. Just something to be aware of.

I am so with you on location based on tube lines. The circle is not my favorite so that would actually weigh heavily against the Conrad for me. We used to stay in Mayfair near the Green Park tube station (which is the great), but now we stay in Mayfair near Bond/Marble Arch, which I prefer as we also get the Elizabeth Line at Bond street, which is my new favorite line. Bond has Central/Jubilee/Elizabeth. We have stopped using the Heathrow Express as the Elizabeth line is almost as quick and much much cheaper. Elizabeth Line also has AC and the trains are new and very clean.
I also love the Elizabeth line. I took it last year from Heathrow and found the train to be clean and very comfortable. Definitely much nicer than the trains on the other lines.

I didn't realize the Bond St. station had 3 lines. I will look at hotels close to there for my (hopeful) trip to London in November or December with ds. Sorry to hear about your recent travel woes. On my way to EDI Lufthansa tried to route me on United in biz class (an old 767 with 2x2 in biz class -- yuk) with NO SEAT on an oversold seat. I filed an EU261 complaint with Lufthansa, but not sure if I'll be successful because I got to EDI a day early, but it was either that or get there 2 days late. I haven't heard anything yet and it's coming up to 2 weeks since I filed. I agree with you that the travel industry seems to be struggling with the amount of people now traveling.

Sorry to hear about your recent medical diagnosis.

Not sure how big your spend is, but you could do a MDD (CSP and CSR). URs are my favorite points currency.
I am expecting around $3000 (will need surgery) and anything insurance doesn’t cover. Not sure I can justify the AF of the CSR. Which card should I PC the CSP to?

I also love the Elizabeth line. I took it last year from Heathrow and found the train to be clean and very comfortable. Definitely much nicer than the trains on the other lines.

I didn't realize the Bond St. station had 3 lines. I will look at hotels close to there for my (hopeful) trip to London in November or December with ds. Sorry to hear about your recent travel woes. On my way to EDI Lufthansa tried to route me on United in biz class (an old 767 with 2x2 in biz class -- yuk) with NO SEAT on an oversold seat. I filed an EU261 complaint with Lufthansa, but not sure if I'll be successful because I got to EDI a day early, but it was either that or get there 2 days late. I haven't heard anything yet and it's coming up to 2 weeks since I filed. I agree with you that the travel industry seems to be struggling with the amount of people now traveling.
Good luck on your claim! I've gone down the FlyerTalk rabbit hole with industry problems--following BA in particular since that's who I fly all the time. I've learned that with the A380 (I think that's the right one), due to storage issues during the pandemic there are lots of computer problems on the planes. I guess when one of them has problems it will have a domino effect on other flights. In our case, a plane in South Africa had problems so ours was sent to the rescue.

Good luck on your claim! I've gone down the FlyerTalk rabbit hole with industry problems--following BA in particular since that's who I fly all the time. I've learned that with the A380 (I think that's the right one), due to storage issues during the pandemic there are lots of computer problems on the planes. I guess when one of them has problems it will have a domino effect on other flights. In our case, a plane in South Africa had problems so ours was sent to the rescue.
I’ve read a lot of issues with BA in general lately. I think we’ve decided to fly with other carriers for our England trip next year (Singapore and United).

Lime Tree Hotel in Belgravia, i

I was going to mention this charming B&B/Inn-I stayed here with DD years ago (it was one of Rick Steves' favorites more than a decade ago although I suspect it's gotten a bit more bougie!) and it was a gem then and when I was looking at M&MS was happy to see this is in their portfolio. Sadly we're in London only 2 days this year prior to our Norway cruise and they have a 3 day minimum in August this year (their high season, so understandably) or I'd return. They've redecorated/renovated and I'd love to see what's been done in a decade! It's so convenient to Westminster and Victoria Station and I cannot speak highly enough of it (at least the 2014 version) 2 twins in one room and the other in a room with a garden terrace (at least for our room of 3 twins). A tiny bathroom but that's London, near a Tesco (or Sainsbury?), pizza place, pub (of course) and again, so very walkable to transportation. The next time I'm in London I'm going back-hopefully it won't disappoint!

Her one Disney card that is solely hers, puts her about 36% of her income, do you think she has a chance at an Ink? She actually files a schedule c, for editing, and has stellar credit. She has other personal cards on her report, so that is not her only, just her only Chase. She is moving into her own apartment for the first time so needs a bunch of furniture and can finally meet that spend.
If she does not need the entire credit limit on the Disney card it may not hurt to reduce it since the CL from a personal card can’t be moved to a business card

I was just checking my e-mail and Lufthansa responded the same day that I filed for EU261 compensation (March 14th). I filed for the cost of the Balmoral for the additional night -- if they cover it, that would be AMAZING!

Thank you very much for your claim dated March 14, 2024.

We are happy to confirm, pursuant to Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004, you are entitled to compensation. Kindly provide our service team with your bank details. Please note that a payment to credit cards is unfortunately not possible. 

Payment Method: Wire Transfer

● Passenger Name (Beneficiary Name)

● Beneficiary Bank Account Number

● Beneficiary Bank Name

● Routing Code = (Bank Key

In addition, please send us your booking confirmation, passenger receipt or boarding pass.

We will compare these with the flight-related booking details. This is to ensure proper verification of your identity and to guarantee that the payment is received by you alone, and not by unauthorized third parties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter