I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Out of curiosity, what do your recents chase
ink approvals look like? I’m wondering if I should try or hold off as I need a new card. Wasn’t sure if it had been a while since your last app.
Also, when you say you did some cleaning up how recently did you do that and how long did you wait to apply for a new card?
Thanks for your insight!!
My last chase app was in Nov. I’m 4/24. I closed 2 business cards this month, probably 2 weeks ago.

My last chase app was in Nov. I’m 4/24. I closed 2 business cards this month, probably 2 weeks ago.
Thank you for the last reply. Were either of the cards you closed a CIC? I’m just trying to figure out the best move. I would need to close 2 CIC cards. So I’m not sure if I can then app for a CIC soon after

Nice..good to know you got approved…did you also reduce the credit limits to $1k …..i have 4 business cards open as well but use the CICs at staples for the 5x ….so haven’t reduced my CLs
No I didn’t reduce my CL. I use the CIC for staples, too.
Thank you for the last reply. Were either of the cards you closed a CIC? I’m just trying to figure out the best move. I would need to close 2 CIC cards. So I’m not sure if I can then app for a CIC soon after
Yes, one was a CIC and one was a CIU.

My dd is 24, has one credit card that she keeps paid off and is thinking about doing the disney Visa mainly to have the benefits for our trip. She isn't sure if she will want to keep it more than a year or not. She is concerned about the affect on her credit score if she cancels after a year. I'm also curious if it will help her credit score having another card. She really does not have any bills in her name besides her current card.
If she keeps the no AF version, there's no real reason to cancel after a year. Especially if Disney is a routine use i.e. regular trips or shopdisney purchases. As for the credit score, having multiple types of credit helps the most but just having more credit available and using it responsibility raises a score too. It's easier to score someone who has a few accounts over just one since they're trying to predict behavior. Without having a bigger sample size, they're going to score it more conservatively to hedge risk. Here's a couple articles that outline this for FICO scores.

https://www.equifax.com/personal/ed...s/-/learn/how-many-credit-cards-should-i-have

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/how-many-credit-cards

Even if she doesn't get the Disney card, she should consider picking up a 2nd "keeper" card too help with average age of accounts and length of credit history in the future. Something that is easy to use a few times a year to keep it active and act as a backup in case of an issue with her main card. I like to diversify so I started with a Visa then added a Discover, AmEx and MasterCard in my first few years. It's less of an issue now but I still come across places that only accept one network. (Usually Visa is universal but I've had a couple only accept MC and way back in the day, only accepted Discover.) Plus helpful if her main card is compromised or non-functional, she'll have something to use while waiting for a replacement or resolution.

I know there's a bunch of Target shoppers here and I have a question after my trip there this morning.

I entered my phone number like normal and got some thing I had to accept, I didn't read it and the cashier didn't explain well. I didn't have time to read. Anyway it didn't take my circle stuff off, she said she needed to scan my wallet for that and when I questioned it she said it's been that way for over a year. That's not accurate because I have always entered my number and then seen the total after the circle stuff comes off.

The stuff did come off but I didn't get to see that before I paid because scanning the wallet also pays with my gc, I don't want these things combined because now I'm having to agree to pay before I see the actual price I need to pay.

Has anyone else encountered this? If this is part of their new circle thing fine but tell us that.
I don't know about the phone number, I haven't used that in forever, but you can still use your wallet barcode without using your gift cards. In the app, if you toggle off all the payment options in the wallet, then scanning the barcode just applies the circle offers. So if this is a new process for the upcoming change to circle, then this could be your option to still see the total first. But hopefully it was just a one time thing that having the extra agreement to accept threw off the order of operations and it goes back to normal next time.

I think there are some folks on here who regularly pay federal taxes with credit cards. I owe this year. Are there any issues with using a biz CC to make the payment on personal taxes?

I often use Biz cards to pay federal tax and the only issue I have had was with a Chase Ink card that refused to work on Pay1040 but will work if I use those same cards thru Paypal on Pay1040.

I'm looking for a way to generate rewards toward Delta flights. We spend a few thousand a month with our bank debit cards. It seems like that could add up to help on the one or two flights we take a year if we just used a different card and paid it off each month. We are actually ready to book a flight and the Delta AmEx Gold offer popped up which got me thinking about this. I do not know if that is still a good program for rewards from spending rather than flying.

My only current rewards card that sees any use is Costco.
As many others here have recommended, look into an AMEX MR card. My personal favorite is the AMEX Gold Card. 4x MR on on restaurants and grocery stores for a net $10 AF if you can use the basic Grubhub and Uber monthly credits. I've paid for a whole lot of flights to MCO with points earned by my Gold card. The only real tangible benefits to the Delta Gold is the free baggage and 15% discount on award tickets. If you're only flying once a year with your spouse, it's pretty much a tossup on if it's worth it.
My dd is 24, has one credit card that she keeps paid off and is thinking about doing the disney Visa mainly to have the benefits for our trip. She isn't sure if she will want to keep it more than a year or not. She is concerned about the affect on her credit score if she cancels after a year. I'm also curious if it will help her credit score having another card. She really does not have any bills in her name besides her current card.
For optimal scoring purposes, she needs at least three open revolving credit lines like credit cards and one installment credit line like a car payment or mortgage. Any score change from closing a card after a year is due to reduction in available credit or rise in utilization.
If you are comfortable with business cards, I'd go right out the gate with an Amex Platinum biz or Gold biz for the the higher sign up bonus. On the Plat it's 150k for $15k in 3 months and there are annual credits which if used strategically can offset that first year AF of $695. The gold biz is 130k MRs for $10k spend in 3 months and the AF is $375. What is more compelling to me about this one is the $20 monthly statement credit at office supply stores. You can purchase gift cards like Amazon, Delta or wherever you shop normally at an office supply store for $20 each month to offset the fee which would bring it down to $135. If gas and dining are your two most frequent spend categories each month you'd also get 4x for that. Then, at one year, I would downgrade the card to the Amex Blue Business Plus which is a no fee card that will keep your MRs alive and transferrable to airlines. It earns 2x on everything up to $50k spend per year. Some would say get the SUB for that one also rather than product change but the SUB isn't often that good. In any case, having one will leave you open to another Amex biz Plat or gold via the occasional upgrade offer. You can go a similar route with the consumer plat and gold cards but there is no downgrade path for a no fee card. You could get the SUB for the Everyday preferred card which is a $95 AF and has decent earnings for groceries at 3x and a 50% bonus on MRs earned when you make 30+ purchases per month. 130K MRs on the biz gold are worth $1690 as DL miles in our scenario above. The 150k MRs are worth $1950, an AF of $695 on year one and $95 on years 2-5 comes out to $1075 and you're still ahead on a consumer card with getting the everyday preferred card before you cancel the plat card. The 130K MRs on the biz gold are worth $1690 as DL miles in our scenario above. However, when you PC to a Blue Business Plus card after year one, the years 2-5 and on are $0 so your OOP cost for the card was only $375.
You can PC Biz Charge cards to Credit cards? I did not know that, I would have taken the Biz Gold route when I got my BBP instead.

You can PC Biz Charge cards to Credit cards? I did not know that, I would have taken the Biz Gold route when I got my BBP instead.
I read a couple of successful DPs online about it. Both did it via SM. I didn’t do it myself as at that time way back when the SUB for the BBP was good and didn’t require a $15k spend. I’m going to edit my post as the two DPs I read seem to be outliers rather than the rule now that I looked further into it. That said, if I had to do it all over again, I would still apply for the BBP without a SUB before canceling a biz plat or gold even if I couldn’t make the $15k spend or didn’t think it was worth it just to have a no fee card to keep MRs alive at all times. Plus it doesn’t add to the 5/24.

Does anyone have this US Cellular deal on their Chase Cards? I'm wondering if I can use it on accessories in store or if it is just for new service? Can't tell from the details. Any thoughts or info on this one?

1711911435614.png

Planning for next year. Will be flying to Rome. If I can't find direct flights from US that I like. What is an acceptable layover time? Is 3.5 hours in CDG enough to get through customs?

How long ago was that?

I sent SM inquiring about the missing 15k bonus points that was promised in an earlier SM from Chase on 3/26/2024. Chase responded on 3/27//2024 saying that my message was being sent to the appropriate dept and that I should hear back from them within 5 business days (not including weekends and holidays).

No points as of today. Hoping that they will magically appear later this week without any need for a follow up call or SM.

I think there are some folks on here who regularly pay federal taxes with credit cards. I owe this year. Are there any issues with using a biz CC to make the payment on personal taxes?
None for me. I did so this year.

I also opened a CIU to pay my property taxes. Had to pay a 2.45% fee but earned the 90k, so way ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter