I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up Disney GCs at Bed Bath & Beyond today with 5 of my Amex cards that had the offer. :cool1: I hit up Buy Buy Baby but they had no Disney GCs :headache: I will be hitting up another one nearby tomorrow. After those are done, I think I will start working on the Lowes and Staples Amex offers. I've got those on 2 cards and am looking forward to saving $400 buying Disney GCs.

DH paid off our upcoming Antarctica trip :banana: and used the British Airways card for most of it. The idea was to earn another BA travel together ticket. The voucher expires 2 years after you make the requisite spend. So the plan is to keep it about $10 shy and finish it off in late November or early December. No idea what we will be doing with that travel together ticket once we have it. I am thinking South Africa but then I could just as easily decide to go see Hamilton in London over a weekend.

I'm still mulling over whether or not I should get a 5th Marriott flights/hotel package, or upgrade one of the four cat 1-5 packages we have to a higher category and tie it to a hotel, or leave the points alone for now. I can always use more miles. I have zero plans or ability to go anywhere else for 7 days with the current vacation plans but like the idea of trying to squeeze it in somewhere. I also like the idea of an air miles transfer option with flexibility just in case. I am paralyzed with indecision on this one. I've got FOMO on 3 fronts.

We just made the drive from Phoenix to Palm Desert after flying in this morning. We’ll finish the drive to DL in the am. Quick question for the DL pros, can I purchase the MaxPass through the app using a gift card? I figured out who to get our LMTClub purchased tickets loaded to the app so that part is finished. So excited! My SIL doesn’t really like the rides but I am hoping she gives them a try. DS told her she owes him one roller coaster ride for every cigarette she smokes (he is hoping to help her quit :) )

I just don't get this. I looked up the Marco Island resort and on the new list, it will be cat 6 (unless I am reading that wrong, which I admit, is entirely possible)...But how does a cat 6 cert not equal a cat 6 resort after 8/1? Are you attaching the cat 6 cert now to Marco Island? What happens if you want to change resorts (or is that a big question mark...)?

It is a big question mark. So my cat 6 cert is for current cat 6 hotels, not cat 6 hotels after 8/1. Marco is cat 9 and the singer island I think is too, or cat 8....can’t remember. So to book them currently I need to upgrade to a cat 9 cert.
The new categories are completely different so today’s cat 6 is like a future cat 4 or something, and these current cat 8/9 I am looking at are future cat 6s.

ETA: a huge question mark is what if you need to make a change post 8/1. I really wish they’d just map them to the new categories. It would be less confusing.

We just made the drive from Phoenix to Palm Desert after flying in this morning. We’ll finish the drive to DL in the am. Quick question for the DL pros, can I purchase the MaxPass through the app using a gift card? I figured out who to get our LMTClub purchased tickets loaded to the app so that part is finished. So excited! My SIL doesn’t really like the rides but I am hoping she gives them a try. DS told her she owes him one roller coaster ride for every cigarette she smokes (he is hoping to help her quit :) )

You cannot purchase MP through the app and use GC's to pay :( Really hope they fix that before our next trip! Good for your ds. Hope that helps your SIL quit!!

It is a big question mark. So my cat 6 cert is for current cat 6 hotels, not cat 6 hotels after 8/1. Marco is cat 9 and the singer island I think is too, or cat 8....can’t remember. So to book them currently I need to upgrade to a cat 9 cert.
The new categories are completely different so today’s cat 6 is like a future cat 4 or something, and these current cat 8/9 I am looking at are future cat 6s.

ETA: a huge question mark is what if you need to make a change post 8/1. I really wish they’d just map them to the new categories. It would be less confusing.

I'm completely confused about all this!! I've not been following chatter on reddit or FT but maybe I should cause I don't understand how a cat 6 cert today will be a cat 4 as of 8/1. That just makes no sense to me unless marriott wants a ton of angry peeps. You know? When we called and booked the cat 6 package today, the lady never said...oh, BTW, this certificate will not actually be valid to book a cat 6 hotel in two weeks...Shouldn't they be telling people that if that is what they intend to do?

It lists it when you pull up the hotels

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi

eta: wait, are you trying to pull up a full list of hotels in a certain category? that I don't know.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for! When I was searching earlier by looking up by date/location I didn't see the category listed. Of course I could have just been blind too :rolleyes1

You cannot purchase MP through the app and use GC's to pay :( Really hope they fix that before our next trip! Good for your ds. Hope that helps your SIL quit!!
Boo! Did you use your CSR? if so, did it code as travel for 3x? We have no MSR at the moment so trying to get the best point value.

Boo! Did you use your CSR? if so, did it code as travel for 3x? We have no MSR at the moment so trying to get the best point value.
I needed to meet spend on an Amex so I used that. I'm not sure if the CSR codes the purchase as travel. It really stinks that you cannot pay for MP with GC's :(

@Lain Not sure what I did wrong with my eBay shipping. I thought I followed your instructions perfectly but the shipping was debited from my checking rather than being charged to the CIP :(

I'm completely confused about all this!! I've not been following chatter on reddit or FT but maybe I should cause I don't understand how a cat 6 cert today will be a cat 4 as of 8/1. That just makes no sense to me unless marriott wants a ton of angry peeps. You know? When we called and booked the cat 6 package today, the lady never said...oh, BTW, this certificate will not actually be valid to book a cat 6 hotel in two weeks...Shouldn't they be telling people that if that is what they intend to do?

The hotels categories are being restructured as part of this whole ordeal...so the hotel you see today that is a cat 6, is changing to a lower category in August. I will see if I can find some sort of visual or article for you to see what is going on.

But to your point, I agree, and that is what I was trying to point out earlier today...they are still selling the certs like normal and don’t mention any changes to them. Only people following it closely realize it is possible that their 7night cert could go poof in a couple weeks if it isn’t attached to a ressie that you don’t intend to change. When I say go poof I just mean that t may not actually be worth 7 nights somewhere any longer...but that is speculation. No one really knows. And I am not sure Marriott even knows based on how they are handling them currently.

42358CD5-5908-4579-8158-4EE9C4687C7F.png @wendow

ETA:
So you currently hold a cat 6 cert which are hotels that are 30k/night.
Those hotels (but take into account some are going up and some down in their point requirement also) will fall into new cat 4 or 5.

So Marco island Marriott is cat 9 (45k/nt) right now. It will be a new cat 6 and is going up to 50k/nt.

Last edited:
I'm still mulling over whether or not I should get a 5th Marriott flights/hotel package, or upgrade one of the four cat 1-5 packages we have to a higher category and tie it to a hotel, or leave the points alone for now. I can always use more miles. I have zero plans or ability to go anywhere else for 7 days with the current vacation plans but like the idea of trying to squeeze it in somewhere. I also like the idea of an air miles transfer option with flexibility just in case. I am paralyzed with indecision on this one. I've got FOMO on 3 fronts.

I’m considering forming a Marriott travel package FOMO support group. :rolleyes: There are several of us here who have no clue what to do with our certs, points, or whether to even buy a package. :sad2::goodvibes
Well the good news is that I have 120k extra swrr in my account.:jumping3:

I’m considering forming a Marriott travel package FOMO support group. :rolleyes: There are several of us here who have no clue what to do with our certs, points, or whether to even buy a package. :sad2::goodvibes

I would totally join that group too ! If my Marriott biz bonus points post in time, I need to decide whether to buy the package or not (most likely I will), and then whether to attach it or not. I will only be able to get a cat 1-5 , and I'm struggling to find somewhere I'd want to use it. Possibly courtyard inn anaheim convention center, but not really ready to commit to DL instead of WDW next year. I was really hoping to upgrade to the swan/dolphin possibly for either F&W next year as a bonus trip, or in June for our big family trip. I have dvc also so I have that to use, although we are a bit low on points. TBH I was hoping the cert would be a way to justify doing both next year, WDW in June and Oct. I even started contemplating a bonus DL trip over spring break to use the cert, which is pretty pure pure fantasy! I can imagine what DH would say! :scared1:

Wow, thank you so much for the great information!

You are welcome @Magical2017 :goodvibes You will find the folks on this thread to be a very friendly and supportive group that has no problem holding someone's hand along the way to dipping their toes into the travel hacking pool. So feel free to ask questions before making decisions.

@Lain Not sure what I did wrong with my eBay shipping. I thought I followed your instructions perfectly but the shipping was debited from my checking rather than being charged to the CIP :(

I'm so sorry. I went years thinking paying for eBay Shipping from my [PayPal balance or] bank account was the only way to do it. Then it took me several tries before was able to remove the preauthorization for eBay Shipping to deduct from my bank account and default to the CIP. I feel your frustration.

Here are some ideas?

1. Log into your PayPal account.
2. On the top right, click the Settings widget.
3. On the top nav bar, click Payments.
4. Click Manage pre-approved payments.
5. Under Automatic Payments, you should see eBay Inc Shipping. If so, click it.
6. Details for eBay Inc Shipping should expand to the right. Next to Payment method, you should see an Edit icon -- click it, select your CIP, and Save.

If all that doesn't work next time, go back into PayPal>Settings>Payments>Manage pre-approved payments>eBay Inc Shipping, and click Cancel. The next time you print a shipping label, there should be a Pay and Print button and a check box asking if you want to pay with your PayPal balance (don't check this; and it's better to just withdraw your PayPal balance before printing a shipping label because PayPal will use funds from your balance before your bank or card). Click Pay and Print without checking the box, and you might be asked to log into PayPal and should have the option of choosing your method of payment, including the CIP.

See if this works, and if not, I can circle back and help with canceling your existing eBay Inc Shipping preapproval and setting up a new one.

P.S. New avatar with your sisters!

Last edited:
Marriott travel package FOMO support group introduction:

Hi my name is Caylpso and I am a travel hacker. I have have been able to make plans and decisions about points for vacation goals over the last 6 years. This month, I fell off the wagon.

Count me in! It's nice to know I'm not alone. Realistically, I know I will not likely stay anywhere for 7 nights. The only place I have actually had plans to do something like that would be a return trip to Ashford Castle in Ireland. So a cert won't help me there. I could see myself going to Hawaii and using the cert as a base to island hop but we are already going this year with that Westin timeshare deal, so that is out. Finagling the time off is another obstacle. I think that is actually the biggest negative on upgrading and attaching the cert to a reservation.

YeeHaw!!! So excited about those RR points even if I have no clue what to do with the cert:cloud9:
ETA: I'll join your FOMO group! I have FOMO over everything and everyone in this thread actually lol!

I know what you mean! I'm totally excited over the fact that we now have over 540,000 Alaska miles between the 4 packages and each picking up the Alaska card. I did it for the miles even though I don't have any immediate plans for those miles and don't care too much about the cert. I'm mourning the idea of a lost opportunity on the certs due to timing.

I would totally join that group too ! If my Marriott biz bonus points post in time, I need to decide whether to buy the package or not (most likely I will), and then whether to attach it or not. I will only be able to get a cat 1-5 , and I'm struggling to find somewhere I'd want to use it. Possibly courtyard inn anaheim convention center, but not really ready to commit to DL instead of WDW next year. I was really hoping to upgrade to the swan/dolphin possibly for either F&W next year as a bonus trip, or in June for our big family trip. I have dvc also so I have that to use, although we are a bit low on points. TBH I was hoping the cert would be a way to justify doing both next year, WDW in June and Oct. I even started contemplating a bonus DL trip over spring break to use the cert, which is pretty pure pure fantasy! I can imagine what DH would say! :scared1:

This is where I'm at on the last 290K Marriott points. Being just shy of an even 300K which I can transfer 10K UR to top off, I also see the points as representing the ability to have 125,000 airline miles that I can transfer if needed to a number of different airlines. I do like that flexibility. I think I am just talking myself into sitting on those points.

This is the best therapy group ever :grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter