I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Chase UR points you can also transfer to KrisFlyer (Singapore air) and you can use that to book united, I'm not sure if that would be a better deal or not..you should compare :-)

It doesn't look like Singapore Airlines flies out of Denver. Weird!

With Chase UR points you can also transfer to KrisFlyer (Singapore air) and you can use that to book united, I'm not sure if that would be a better deal or not..you should compare :-)
But be careful going the UR -> international airline -> domestic airline route. If you won't save a lot of points don't do it! When something goes wrong you're screwed beyond belief. I did the UR -> Korean to book Delta to Hawaii and my Delta was delayed causing a missed connection. I was rebooked on Hawaiian air by Delta, but Delta failed to pay Hawaiian and we had to pay at the gate to board the plane. Long story short we were out almost $1.5K for a couple months before settling with Delta- & I know we were super lucky, the only comparable stories I read took people a year to reach resolutions. These types of redemptions are lucrative but when something goes wrong the airlines all blame each other.

@wendow so unless you are saving a boatload of points I'd stick to transferring straight to the airline you intend to book with. Also, 2 things: 1. make SURE award space is available before you transfer points- that's irreversible and 2. are the points saved worth the drive? Run the math, sometimes the car rental can be more expensive from the other airport and then tack on gas and you aren't saving what you thought you were.

But be careful going the UR -> international airline -> domestic airline route. If you won't save a lot of points don't do it! When something goes wrong you're screwed beyond belief. I did the UR -> Korean to book Delta to Hawaii and my Delta was delayed causing a missed connection. I was rebooked on Hawaiian air by Delta, but Delta failed to pay Hawaiian and we had to pay at the gate to board the plane. Long story short we were out almost $1.5K for a couple months before settling with Delta- & I know we were super lucky, the only comparable stories I read took people a year to reach resolutions. These types of redemptions are lucrative but when something goes wrong the airlines all blame each other.

@wendow so unless you are saving a boatload of points I'd stick to transferring straight to the airline you intend to book with. Also, 2 things: 1. make SURE award space is available before you transfer points- that's irreversible and 2. are the points saved worth the drive? Run the math, sometimes the car rental can be more expensive from the other airport and then tack on gas and you aren't saving what you thought you were.
Wow, I have wondered about this type of situation but have been quite lucky with all my British airways redemptions on American

I am fine flying United. I was just wondering if there might be a way to save a few more points. I looked at United's list of alliance partners but I'm unfamiliar with those airlines. They have names that sound more like int'l carriers.

Oh ok, that makes sense. You mentioned the cash price for the flight, but how many miles is it to fly United RT and do they have any saver awards? For you to fly United using a partner's miles there would have to be saver level awards available on United and you'd have to have award miles in the partner's program to book the United flight. UR, MR, TY and SPG all transfer to Singapore Air Kris Flyer miles and they partner with United. Is United the only option to your destination?

Last edited:
It doesn't look like Singapore Airlines flies out of Denver. Weird!

They don't need to fly out of Denver for you to book United using Kris Flyer miles because you are flying United. For example, when we went to Hawaii earlier this year we were helping friends get there via travel hacking. They needed to get a family of 4 from Indiana to Honolulu. They had Chase UR points to use. They did not have enough to pay for the flights with points in the UR portal so we looked at transferring to an airline. They didn't have enough UR points to get 4 RT award flights on United. However I saw that American Airlines did fly to HNL from their city and there were saver award seats. British Airways is an AA partner and UR points transfer to British Airways. We found out how many BA miles they would need to get the flights on AA. They did have enough UR points to get 4 RT flights when transferring to BA. Since BA is an AA partner they could transfer their UR points to BA and then call BA with the AA flight numbers to book the flights with the BA miles.

Oh ok, that makes sense. You mentioned the cash price for the flight, but how many miles is it to fly United RT and do they have any saver awards? For you to fly United using a partner's miles there would have to be saver level awards available on United and you'd have to have award miles in the partner's program to book the United flight. UR, MR, TY and SPG all transfer to Singapore Air Kris Flyer miles and they partner with United. Is United the only option to your destination?

United is the only nonstop. The flight is 2 hr 20 mins. All other flights are connecting and are 5+ hours. So this doesn't tire out my dd too much, I'm wanting to stick with United.

There are saver awards for many dates. It looks like the flights are 12.5k or 25k (economy) depending on the date/time. That is one way and I need to book two tickets on same flight.

They don't need to fly out of Denver for you to book United using Kris Flyer miles because you are flying United. For example, when we went to Hawaii earlier this year we were helping friends get there via travel hacking. They needed to get a family of 4 from Indiana to Honolulu. They had Chase UR points to use. They did not have enough to pay for the flights with points in the UR portal so we looked at transferring to an airline. They didn't have enough UR points to get 4 RT award flights on United. However I saw that American Airlines did fly to HNL from their city and there were saver award seats. British Airways is an AA partner and UR points transfer to British Airways. We found out how many BA miles they would need to get the flights on AA. They did have enough UR points to get 4 RT flights when transferring to BA. Since BA is an AA partner they could transfer their UR points to BA and then call BA with the AA flight numbers to book the flights with the BA miles.

Ok, this is what I was trying to find out :) How do I find out how much the United flight would be using Kris Flyer miles?

Ok, this is what I was trying to find out :) How do I find out how much the United flight would be using Kris Flyer miles?

awardhacker shows the same mileage required. so its just easier to book with United.
Only thing that can work for lower miles would be SQ--> AS award. but like u said, its a non-direct flight. saves u almost half the points.(15k)

awardhacker shows the same mileage required. so its just easier to book with United.
Only thing that can work for lower miles would be SQ--> AS award. but like u said, its a non-direct flight. saves u almost half the points.(15k)
Ok, thanks, Albort. Sounds like I just need to book with United then.

@LYSE @calypso726 @Albort @gottalovepluto I appreciate all of your help!

Last edited:
Got my $200 Disney gift card today for meeting my Disney Premier spend! That came a lot quicker than I had anticipated!
I got my $200 GC today for the Disney Rewards Card (the no annual fee version) and it took a lot longer than I anticipated, lol! 6 Full weeks from meeting min. spend. The last 4 times I did that offer I got the gift card within 2-3 weeks.

I got my $200 GC today for the Disney Rewards Card (the no annual fee version) and it took a lot longer than I anticipated, lol! 6 Full weeks from meeting min. spend. The last 4 times I did that offer I got the gift card within 2-3 weeks.
Same with my SiL. Happy they got it in time to apply towards their AP's, our 60 day FP+ window is Tuesday.

Wow, I have wondered about this type of situation but have been quite lucky with all my British airways redemptions on American
I think 99% of the time it works because my tale was so rare I didn't even know it was a potential problem. I was so desperate I reached out to the forums on Flyertalk. They know basically everything about flying (and will flame you like Reddit if you don't do your research first!) & their conclusion was 1. You're screwed, good luck and 2. You're lucky the return leg is still active because it looked like Delta "broke" the trip so normally the return would have then been cancelled. (To their credit they figured out Delta had failed to issue a very old-school non-electronic ticket on Hawaiian properly, which is more than Delta ever figured out!)

I won't use miles for a trip like that again- there just aren't that many flights to/from Kauai to substitute if something goes wrong. Domestically, 48 states speaking, I'd consider it because there are more options for when something goes wrong. But it was a scaring experience for sure!

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY IS YOUR FRIEND. If you area qualifies SIGN UP. Yep, it's spams your inbox each day you have mail with 1 email but it saved my rear today... please at least turn it on when you travel!
:offtopic: if you're after credit card stuff specifically skip this, I'm posting my story due to all the ID Theft discussions we've been having lately (no, I'm not a victim at this point): Been out of town for awhile, went to get the mail at our community mailbox today and the only thing there was a note our boxes had been broken into and mail was being held at the post office. A member of my family had his Barclay Arrival arrive early this week and they tried charging on it today so we think it happened last night meaning they have everything for the last couple weeks. Thanks to informed delivery I know what personal information the thieves have in their possession. The main things were a couple bank statements, the Barclaycard and... my Chex Report. Dangnabit. (Chex is a report on your bank account inquiries.) It includes my name, date of birth, and last four of my ssn. The last four are listed about 20 times on the report so it's not like they'll miss it if they decide to read the mail. For those wondering what we did:

-Barclaycard (this was my family member's): barclaycard fraud called this morning while traveling, we hung up and said we'd call back. We don't give out any data when someone calls us. We weren't worried as we knew the card hadn't even been activated yet. Called when we found out our mail was stolen and were told small amounts were charged at walmart, a gas station, a donut shop, walmart again and some large charges were attempted but declined. We said it wasn't even activated and Barclaycard said it allowed small charges in a small radius even if you hadn't activated the card. Thankfully they marked all purchases as fraudulent, not like donuts and a coke machine charge are gonna break the bank but still, and are sending us a new card expedited.

-USPS Informed Delivery: while my family member was handling Barclaycard I reviewed every Informed Delivery email I'd gotten since we'd been gone. I googled addresses I wasn't sure of to match them up to the senders (like Barclaycard) and determined what the items were by matching it up with my vague memory of things I know I had coming. We discovered...
---Discover statement, only last 4 of the account and it has like $10 in it, not worried there.
---Chase savings account statement- with the full account number. Chase has fraud protection on the savings account (we just opened for the bonus) so that's good. We enrolled in paperless in branch but that didn't get entered into the system somehow so paper statements were still being issued. While those idiots put the entire account number on the statement (I went online to see what the statement contained) it's protected if we notify them of fraudulent activity on the account. Alerts set.
---Chex Report. As I said "dangnabit!" this was mine and it hurt but it could have been so much worse. I reviewed my last Chex report to see what data they might have and found my name, address, date of birth, last four of my ssn and like 20 bank inquiries because I'm a bank bonus chaser. I'm very unnerved about the DOB and last four of SSN because I know banks commonly use those for id verification on the phone. Alerts on all bank accounts double checked (and I'd missed a couple!). I also bit the bullet and froze Chex and all 3 credit bureaus. Maybe extreme but I'm too unnerved not to take these precautions.

All in all, very glad I signed up for USPS Informed Delivery or else I would have been fretting about what was in there and eventually probably decided nothing problematic and moved on. Chex is shockingly slow, it never would have occurred to me that would have been in there but when I saw it in Informed Delivery then I remembered I'd ordered it.

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY IS YOUR FRIEND. If you area qualifies SIGN UP. Yep, it's spams your inbox each day you have mail with 1 email but it saved my rear today... please at least turn it on when you travel!
:offtopic: if you're after credit card stuff specifically skip this, I'm posting my story due to all the ID Theft discussions we've been having lately (no, I'm not a victim at this point): Been out of town for awhile, went to get the mail at our community mailbox today and the only thing there was a note our boxes had been broken into and mail was being held at the post office. A member of my family had his Barclay Arrival arrive early this week and they tried charging on it today so we think it happened last night meaning they have everything for the last couple weeks. Thanks to informed delivery I know what personal information the thieves have in their possession. The main things were a couple bank statements, the Barclaycard and... my Chex Report. Dangnabit. (Chex is a report on your bank account inquiries.) It includes my name, date of birth, and last four of my ssn. The last four are listed about 20 times on the report so it's not like they'll miss it if they decide to read the mail. For those wondering what we did:

-Barclaycard (this was my family member's): barclaycard fraud called this morning while traveling, we hung up and said we'd call back. We don't give out any data when someone calls us. We weren't worried as we knew the card hadn't even been activated yet. Called when we found out our mail was stolen and were told small amounts were charged at walmart, a gas station, a donut shop, walmart again and some large charges were attempted but declined. We said it wasn't even activated and Barclaycard said it allowed small charges in a small radius even if you hadn't activated the card. Thankfully they marked all purchases as fraudulent, not like donuts and a coke machine charge are gonna break the bank but still, and are sending us a new card expedited.

-USPS Informed Delivery: while my family member was handling Barclaycard I reviewed every Informed Delivery email I'd gotten since we'd been gone. I googled addresses I wasn't sure of to match them up to the senders (like Barclaycard) and determined what the items were by matching it up with my vague memory of things I know I had coming. We discovered...
---Discover statement, only last 4 of the account and it has like $10 in it, not worried there.
---Chase savings account statement- with the full account number. Chase has fraud protection on the savings account (we just opened for the bonus) so that's good. We enrolled in paperless in branch but that didn't get entered into the system somehow so paper statements were still being issued. While those idiots put the entire account number on the statement (I went online to see what the statement contained) it's protected if we notify them of fraudulent activity on the account. Alerts set.
---Chex Report. As I said "dangnabit!" this was mine and it hurt but it could have been so much worse. I reviewed my last Chex report to see what data they might have and found my name, address, date of birth, last four of my ssn and like 20 bank inquiries because I'm a bank bonus chaser. I'm very unnerved about the DOB and last four of SSN because I know banks commonly use those for id verification on the phone. Alerts on all bank accounts double checked (and I'd missed a couple!). I also bit the bullet and froze Chex and all 3 credit bureaus. Maybe extreme but I'm too unnerved not to take these precautions.

All in all, very glad I signed up for USPS Informed Delivery or else I would have been fretting about what was in there and eventually probably decided nothing problematic and moved on. Chex is shockingly slow, it never would have occurred to me that would have been in there but when I saw it in Informed Delivery then I remembered I'd ordered it.
I'm so sorry this happened to you. For everyone else, USPS will hold your mail while you are out of town and delivery it. It's super easy and can be done online in a few minutes.

What exactly is Informed Delivery? I'm not super concerned with our mail being stolen since we have a mail slot that delivers inside an enclosed porch. But my mom's mailbox is on her open porch and she often leaves the mail out there for a couple days. :sad2:

What exactly is Informed Delivery? I'm not super concerned with our mail being stolen since we have a mail slot that delivers inside an enclosed porch. But my mom's mailbox is on her open porch and she often leaves the mail out there for a couple days. :sad2:

Informed delivery is basically an email that you get Mon-Sat which has a scan of the front of all of the standard pieces of mail that you will receive later that day. It doesn't include large envelopes or things like magazines/catalogs. I signed up for it when I got an email starting that my account was eligible. It is nice to get something early in the day and see what will be delivered later that afternoon. Not really necessary, but nice and definitely would let you know if someone had swiped mail from your box.

I always put my mail on hold when I will be gone, even for a long weekend or such. I have an unlocked mail box and never want things to sit in my box overnight. Another thing that I always do is to take mail that needs to be posted and drop it in an actual USPS postal box, rather than putting it in my own mailbox with the flag up. I have heard stories of mail theft from people's home boxes and never want to risk that.

Informed delivery is basically an email that you get Mon-Sat which has a scan of the front of all of the standard pieces of mail that you will receive later that day. It doesn't include large envelopes or things like magazines/catalogs. I signed up for it when I got an email starting that my account was eligible. It is nice to get something early in the day and see what will be delivered later that afternoon. Not really necessary, but nice and definitely would let you know if someone had swiped mail from your box.

I always put my mail on hold when I will be gone, even for a long weekend or such. I have an unlocked mail box and never want things to sit in my box overnight. Another thing that I always do is to take mail that needs to be posted and drop it in an actual USPS postal box, rather than putting it in my own mailbox with the flag up. I have heard stories of mail theft from people's home boxes and never want to risk that.
Thanks. We don't actually have many USPS boxes around here anymore so I usually hand mail to the post woman or drop at the post office. I can leave it half hanging out the mail slot, but it sometimes falls out or if it's not the regular mail woman, they just push it back into my house (I usually do this for mail delivered to wrong address) Our mail slot is not visible from the street, so I've never had issues. I may do the informed delivery for my mom, although another email she can call me about with questions might be a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter