• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, Pop is now showing up in the UR portal for 10k UR more total than the room I have at the DS Hilton this weekend... Decisions, decisions...

Do you need the additional benefits of staying on site? Airport shuttle? Charge to the room?

That is tempting!
I know... it saves us an Uber fare back to the airport if we're good with DME picking us up 4 hours early (more time to check out the lounge at MCO haha), the bus system seems like it'd be better, and we could get our luggage transferred from the Dolphin to Pop instead of doing it ourselves... ETA also saves us $100 in resort fees the Hilton was going to charge.

Do you need the additional benefits of staying on site? Airport shuttle? Charge to the room?
That's the thing... we're staying at the Dolphin so it would just be DME back vs Uber, maybe better buses than the DS hotels (apparently they all share), luggage transfer. That's all we'd get I think, I don't think we'd charge to the room since we're paying things with gift cards anyways. On the other hand, we have over 150k UR, so it's tempting to do it since we have a big stash. ETA also saves us $100 in resort fees the Hilton was going to charge. That makes it about $50 difference overall. Just paying UR instead of OOP

Several questions for you!

Question about AA Citi-- we will need to get a total of four cards (2 biz, 2 personal) in order to erase airfare for a trip to South America in 2019. I'm at 5/24 (drop to 4/24 in June 2018, then totally to zero assuming no new cards in June 2019) and was not planning to get any new cards until 6/19, but we will need these points before then. Is it true the business cards are not even examined when looking at 5/24? As in, Chase doesn't see it as a card I have at all? If so, I'm going to get the regular card right now, then apply for the business in 2018 as soon as we finish the min spend on the first card.

Related-- I have both a Southwest Business card and a Starwood Business card, both of which I assumed were being included in my overall card count, but I'm now wondering if they are not? That would put me under 5/24, and I should definitely get an Ink to bolster our UR account.

Finally, I looked at the best airline cards to get from NC to Chile (@Dugette, we are eclipse chasing!!) and 40k round trip on AA looks best. I am admittedly a complete newbie at any airline rewards redemptions other than Southwest, which is all we use. Am I on the best track with AA cards? We would like to get 4 round-trip tickets if possible, all on points.

Those business cards don't count, the application will show up on your credit report but the cards don't. Don't count those when factoring your 5/24. You should be at 3/24. You could start buy getting the CIP, then 2 business AA cards. That would keep you at 3/24.

Jhoannam's plan makes good sense in watching your Chase 5/24 status.

Citi has its whole own set of application rules. DoC has an explanation of it here. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citis-application-rule-explained-865-rule/ Keep those in mind as you plan your applications. Also, the signup bonuses seem to range historically from 40K to 60K just to give you an idea.

There's also the Barclay Aviator card that has a 60K AAmiles signup bonus currently. Maybe a consideration if you don't have any Barclay cards already, they are pretty strict with their approvals.

AA miles are a good way to get from NC to Chile RT. I suggest you look at their website to do some dummy bookings to see the award availability, and see how far out you need to plan to better your odds. Getting one award flight is a lot easier than getting four together.

AA often runs promotions through their shopping portal which is another way to build up AA miles and you can be meeting minimum spend requirements at the same time. In fact, you just need an AAdvantage frequent flyer number to start earning those and pay with any credit card.

In case you can't get four award tickets, and need to buy one or two, consider premium travel cards that you might make good use of their travel benefits and travel credits (CSR is my favorite, in fact this is the only card I use to pay for the taxes and fees on award travel for its good trip interruption/delay benefits).

When I book award travel on AA, I book one ways for my family of three. That way, it's easier to change one leg of travel, and if I need to cancel and redeposit miles it will cost me less.

HTH

ETA: I'm wrong about it costing me less to cancel and redeposit miles by booking one-ways; it would actually cost more overall. I book one way because I usually sign up DH and I separately for AA cards for the miles and only have enough to cover the three of us in one AAdvantage account. So one way paid for out of his account, one way paid for out of mine.

Last edited:
That's the thing... we're staying at the Dolphin so it would just be DME back vs Uber, maybe better buses than the DS hotels (apparently they all share), luggage transfer. That's all we'd get I think, I don't think we'd charge to the room since we're paying things with gift cards anyways. On the other hand, we have over 150k UR, so it's tempting to do it since we have a big stash.

We stayed at Pop in August and had really great luck with buses! We stayed in a preferred room in the 70s building and were very close to the bus stops since that was a priority for us on our short three-day trip. We really enjoyed our stay there!

I know... it saves us an Uber fare back to the airport if we're good with DME picking us up 4 hours early (more time to check out the lounge at MCO haha), the bus system seems like it'd be better, and we could get our luggage transferred from the Dolphin to Pop instead of doing it ourselves...

That's the thing... we're staying at the Dolphin so it would just be DME back vs Uber, maybe better buses than the DS hotels (apparently they all share), luggage transfer. That's all we'd get I think, I don't think we'd charge to the room since we're paying things with gift cards anyways. On the other hand, we have over 150k UR, so it's tempting to do it since we have a big stash.

That DME is totally worth it, you should do it.

We stayed at Pop in August and had really great luck with buses! We stayed in a preferred room in the 70s building and were very close to the bus stops since that was a priority for us on our short three-day trip. We really enjoyed our stay there!
We stayed there last January on our first trip and were very happy. Ended up in the 50s section, and I am a Lady and the Tramp fan :)

I went for Pop :) It ended up being 14k UR points more after taxes, but we're saving $105 that we were going to pay OOP for the resort fees at the Hilton. When I remembered the resort fee, that convinced me. It's like Disney magic, because today was the last day I could cancel the Hilton with no penalty :rotfl:

Don't think I'm getting approved. I applied for Chase Marriott and Freedom at the same time and for both got the:

"We need to review your request a little longer. We will let you know of our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days."

We'll see but usually this has meant no. Maybe this is a sign that I need to slow down.

Fyi: I put "self employed" and our total household income. Not sure it this had anything to do with it. I got approved for United right away a month ago.

The entire reason for the Marriott card is for SPG points, and the Chase Freedom is because I am at 4/24 and it's now or never (or until Dec 2019) before I can get another Chase card due to 5/24 rule).

Any other suggestions for collecting SPG points by late spring? Just got an Amex Spg business last month. Should I try for an Amex SPG personal today, or wait for the results of these two applicatons first?

Last edited:
Ah well, so much for UR points for me, via my dd. Of course now she has a nice denial in Chases system. So much for pre-qualified offers :-).
I think I will just have to put the final semester tuition on an ordinary card for basic rewards points this time, oh the sorrow LOL.

Does she already have any Chase cards? If so, you might call to see if they can re-allocate some of the credit limit from an existing card to the new card. This has happened to me on several occasions.

Don't think I'm getting approved. I applied for Chase Marriott and Freedom at the same time and for both got the:

"We need to review your request a little longer. We will let you know of our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days."

We'll see but usually this has meant no. Maybe this is a sign that I need to slow down.

Fyi: I put "self employed" and our total household income. Not sure it this had anything to do with it. I got approved for United right away a month ago.

The entire reason for the Marriott card is for SPG points, and the Chase Freedom is because I am at 4/24 and it's now or never (or until Dec 2019) before I can get another Chase card due to 5/24 rule).

Any other suggestions for collecting SPG points by late spring? Just got an Amex Spg business last month. Should I try for an Amex SPG personal today, or wait for the results of these two applicatons first?
Is that the message on the screen after you applied or did you call the status line and get that message? The automated status line message is the only one that will give you an indication.

ALSO - I would not apply for SPG personal while you already have 2 pending apps out there unless you can meet the min. spend on all 3. If your assumption is incorrect (that you got denied) and you actually get approved for both Chase cards (and the SPG) now you have $6,500 in min. spends to hit.

I'd refer back to Lain's post which gave a rundown on the process to follow. I wouldn't have put both apps in at the same time once the first one went pending. At this point you can't undo that but I'd still call recon for the card you wanted most and follow these steps. If you get a hard decline from recon on the Marriott then maybe you consider SPG.

I still say wait until Monday regular business hours. I believe the verification dept. is separate from reconsideration and may not be open on the weekends.

As for your double dipping strategy. Obviously make sure your United card application dropped off past 30 days. Apply for the card you really want first, get it approved. If not automatically approved, call reconsideration to get it approved. It could be a matter of verifying personal information, or reallocating credit. Then apply for the second one with another browser or incognito and get it approved all on the same day. It must be on the same day.

Please consider applying using fellow DISchurners’ referral links.

I would call the and try to recon the Marriott card before you do anything else.

Does your DH have his own online account for his AU card? That's what he'll need to do so that he can add AMEX offers to his AU card. That said, the Best Buy offer is popular, so it might have all been claimed by now.

View attachment 288121

I am fairly certain the Best Buy deals were all claimed within a short time. I had it on two of my cards, and wanted to get it on my two of DH's it was gone. I had looked earlier and saw he had the offer but wanted to get it on both of the cards so didn't claim it immediately; by the time I could get back on and get it on both it had disappeared.

Not as lucrative for gift cards as Best Buy but there is a $5 off Bed Bath and Beyond deal that is still around.

I would call the and try to recon the Marriott card before you do anything else.

Even though I'm not sure if I was declined yet? I am just going by the message I got on the screen right after applying;

"We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days."

Even though I'm not sure if I was declined yet? I am just going by the message I got on the screen right after applying;

"We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days."
Call the automated status line - what does it say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter